Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
One of the saddest parts of living in LA is that they're aren't beer and a movie theaters here. Though having sat through Van Helsing at the Laurelhurst, I can imagine that such a car driven town as LA is best off not letting people drink and watch bad movies.

Though that hasn't stopped some people from drinking during the Grindhouse run at the New Beverly *cough*

But, P-Town, represent.
For as much talk online that Austin and other such places get, my beautiful city has to be one of the best movie cities.
There must be close to 10 different beer theaters here. God bless em.
I might go see Dr No at the Laurelhurst this week as well.

I'm enjoying this B.O. thing you're doing as well.
Beef Drapes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte

One of the saddest parts of living in LA is that they're aren't beer and a movie theaters here. Though having sat through Van Helsing at the Laurelhurst, I can imagine that such a car driven town as LA is best off not letting people drink and watch bad movies.

Though that hasn't stopped some people from drinking during the Grindhouse run at the New Beverly *cough*

But, P-Town, represent.

It's far from what they probably do at the Drafthouse, but LA does have the 21+ screenings at the Arclight (which I've never done, as I've never found them to be playing a movie I'd want to see THOUGH Monday they are playing MP & The Holy Grail but both shows are sold out) I've also heard about Cinespace from a few people, but they only show movies as they're released on DVD.
Just wanted to say that I really like your column Andre, and I especially appreciate your detailed numbers (like the percentage of drop off). Keep it up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan "Nordling" Cerny

Then again, with what happened in VT this week, this may be the wrong time for a shoot-em-up..

We love our guns and explosions in the US, it's NEVER a bad time to shoot/blow shit up onscreen.
I keep forgetting Andre's lived in Oregon. I did a double-take at the McMenamins mention. Those theaters need more nationwide love.

I am a little disappointed that this is all the screens Hot Fuzz will get, even with the per-screen being lovely and the word of mouth being through the roof. I think there were only 4 locations playing the film in Portland, and 2 of em in Vancouver.

is Spider-Man 3 really getting noticeably negative buzz around it? The marketing seems almost bored and lazy at this point. Perfunctory.
Fatboy, please, I'm old friends with M.E. Russell.
I have a hard time imagining any of the 3 big movies in May not making it to 300. Each of them should make it that far in less than 4 weeks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte

Fatboy, please, I'm old friends with M.E. Russell.

No shit? I'm gonna pick his brain next Friday for any embarrassing Andre Dellamorte stories, then.
One of my favorites is the screening of The Punisher, where I was making a joke to Dawn Taylor (after The Punisher gets a bad guy a parking ticket I opined "Wouldn't it be great if the movie ended here, 'Oh you've been punished"Wink, and got the two of us laughing so hard that the critic for the Mercury wrote about how much they wanted to punish us.
Predix and commentary for the 4/27/07 frame:

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9983
My guess is Spider-Man 3 opens to around $140-150 opening weekend. Poll over at ComingSoon has the majority of voters saying it'll top $200 million over its first 3 days...which I can't see happening (yet!)
Spidey 3 will break Pirates's record of last year. This movie is a goddamn marketing juggernaut. And the only "bad buzz" this point is in fanboy circles, and they're all going to see it anyway. It's the same as the buzz about Pirates 2 last year, which was "more spectacle but not neccessarily better than the last one".
I think "Next" is going to surprise everyone. And by surprise everyone, I mean no one AT ALL will actually see it.
I don't know what kind of dirt you have on Russell, Andre, but he wasn't giving up nada when I mentioned you today. He just grinned an evil-ish grin. Didn't have much nice to say about The Condemned either. Apparently even the WWE fans were mocking the movie halfway through for being shit.

I think Kickin it Old Skool has a shot at the top 5. I don't know how wide it's releasing, but I think it looks just dumb enough to capture the imagination of the kids whose parents took them to Wild Hogs.
SM3 will web up a boffo cume.
I don't know how likely it is, but with the highest per screen average last week, it'd be nice if Hot Fuzz saw a bigger showing this week due to word of mouth. That'd be a nice story.
Plus, it's adding 447 theaters.
New com HOT FUZZ will struggle to find auds.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie

Poll over at ComingSoon has the majority of voters saying it'll top $200 million over its first 3 days...which I can't see happening (yet!)

Fucking fanboys. That would require an average of $67 million per day over the three days, while the biggest single day ever thus far is $55 million. It probably isn't a mathematical impossibilty, but it's pretty damn close.
Quote:

Fucking fanboys.

Amen.
ComingSoon, bastion of film knowledge.
I'm not dogging ComingSoon (I check em out daily!) Just the idiots who voted for Spider-Man 3 to make $200 million + next weekend...
Fridays:
Disturbia 3.1
The Invisible 2.8
Next 2.2
Fracture 2.0
Blades of Glory 1.6
Hot Fuzz 1.5
Vacancy 1.5
The Condemned 1.2
Meet the Robinsons 1.2
In the Land of Women 0.9

vs.

1. Next – 11 million
2. Disturbia – 8 million
3. The Condemned – 6.5 million
4. Fracture – 6.4 million
5. Blades of Glory– 5.2 million
6. Meet the Robinsons – 5.1 million
7. Vacancy - 4.4 million
8. Kicking It Old School – 4 million
9. The Invisible – 4 million
10. Hot Fuzz – 3.8 million

Hey, I was 100% wrong, looks like nothing's cracking 10 mil, and the Goyer had more appeal than Next. SNAP. Hot Fuzz's expansion run (such as it is) went betterthan expected. I think cause I sold it hard in piece. I AM A GOD.

And Kicking it Old School? Well,sometimes audiences are smart. Sorry Jamie, guessin that makes me a heckler.
Oh yeah, well I was 200 percent wrong. So...HAH. As for Kickin' It Old School, I think the advertising failed to make it clear that it wasn't going to be found at Blockbuster this Tuesday, though with the weekend gross, perhaps it will.
I think this is a case of everyone gearing up for the REAL summer movies, especially Spider-Man. And yeah, the shitty content this week probably hurt the intake.
As I was walking through the Arclight to the the smallest theater in the place to see Black Book people were leaving The Invisible, and I overheard every single person say "that movies was awful". I wish I had said "yeah, and you paid 14 bucks to see it, moron!" to every single one of them.

Hot Fuzz doesn't seem to be getting any bump from the theater expansion which is unfortunate. They had costumes from the movie displayed at the Arclight this week (though you'd think they would have had them displayed last week when the movie opened)
I wonder if wrestling fans across the internet are as confused about The Condemned's take as much as geeks were confused a few weeks ago about Grindhouse's take. "But it has Stone Cold Steve Austin! Everyone loves him! I don't know why this movie didn't make a bajillion dollars?"
In addition to gearing up for a summer run of movies, I'm sure the nice weather in the Midwest and East had something to do with it also. The last few weeks have been crap, so to have most places East of the Mississippi have a good weekend (combined with crap openings and May having a shitload of "must see" films) it spelled disaster for for these films.
Get yer Spidey 3 predix here!
I'm going high on Spider-Man 3 and guessing $142 million.
Going low. $120 million. It'll be hard to compete with that Next audience.
Going lower: $115 million. Oversatuation, plus I have a bunch of female friends that have zero interest in it.
$121 million.
$90 million.