Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
I can just preorder tickets through the website for the big chain here, Cineplex.

I didn’t know you can only do that in the states with Fandango. And they charge you a surcharge too? That’s criminal.

You can reserve tickets through the various theater chain sites (AMC, Regal, etc), but they often also charge some kind of fee unless you're a member of their respective club. I know the Fandango fee gets waived for AMC theaters (but not Regal, which is ridiculous) if you're a Stubs member (or at least it used to).

I'm on that AMC A-List ($22/month, 3 free movies per week), and it's saved me quite a bit. Add the 10% reward for every $50 spent, and it adds up. Ok, I'll stop shilling now.

I’m going to join up with the Regal version of MoviePass, as I never quite got over losing MoviePass. Regal, just cause my neighborhood theater is a Regal. So I guess you’ll get watched after all, Hobbs and Shaw!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I've only ever seen (or, participated in, rather) reservations for IMAX screenings around here. But...then again, there's not really any big chain theaters around here either. I wish there was. I'm getting kind of fed up with our local..
I've become so used to purchasing all of my tickets online ahead of time that I can't even imagine walking up to a theater and buying tickets at the window or kiosk anymore. That seems so unbelievably stressful, like some kind of consumer version of Russian roulette.

That's the only way to do it in the town I'm in, really. Though, movies are rarely ever sold out at this theater either, beyond the first weekend anyway. And I don't go on weekend nights. Too many dumb assholes. Monday/Tuesday matinees. That's where it's at..
AMC A List all the way. No stress.
I just wish there was a way to link AMC A List accounts so I could get one for my wife and reserve tickets all at once instead of playing the "get a ticket on my account, log out, log in to her account, and get her ticket" game.

Agreed on that.
Wow, you can't just buy multiple tickets at once? Here we go online, log in if you want to (to earn 'points'), purchase the seats you want (I think a maximum of 10 at a time), get an e-ticket emailed to your phone that gets scanned at the gate.

Also: Hobbs & Shaw cost $200 million? How? They certainly didn't put the money on the screen.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
(08-14-2019, 05:45 PM)Jones Wrote: Wow, you can't just buy multiple tickets at once?  Here we go online, log in if you want to (to earn 'points'), purchase the seats you want (I think a maximum of 10 at a time), get an e-ticket emailed to your phone that gets scanned at the gate.

You can buy multiple seats, yes, but only the one is "free" (one of your 3 weekly tickets). You'd have to use a second account to get that other "free" ticket.

Dat budget. Dafuq?
(08-14-2019, 05:45 PM)Jones Wrote: Also: Hobbs & Shaw cost $200 million?  How?  They certainly didn't put the money on the screen.

Yeah other than the scaling down the building sequence none of the action looked all that costly. Hope they didn't spend too much on the cameos because they weren't worth it.
Does it end with a really horrible CGI Brendan Fraser?

I kid, I like The Mummy Returns...warts and all..
It may have. I lost track after about the 6th or 7th mid-credits scene.
We had the AMC Stubs, but switched to the Regal Unlimited instead.

Almost the same price, but with AMC you could only see 3 movies a week, whereas Regal lets you see as many as you want. The Regal theater closest to us is also a bit nicer, and has recliners in almost every theater. There is still a 50 cent surcharge if you book the movie through the app with Regal (which like someone mentioned above is BS), but we only do that if we want to have all 4 of us go see something on opening night or so. If not, we keep an eye on the seats available, and walk up to the box office and let them scan our app and grab good seats. And if good seats are disappearing, then we just suck it up and pay the 50 cents to be able to make the whole process more convenient.

In fact, when only the wife and I went to see that Scary Stories movie, we were gonna use the box office, but the line was long, so we thought it was worth the $1 total to just use the app quick, and walk right in.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

Good Boys is the first original film to be #1 its opening weekend at the box office since Endgame came out, and the first comedy to open to $20 million + since The Boss in the spring of 2018, which probably says a fair amount about how original/midbudget/comedies are struggling.
what the hell was THE BOSS??

are you referring to boss baby?
An immediately-forgotten Melissa McCarthy/Kristen Bell/Peter Dinklage joint.
whaaaaa???
A forgettable comedy starring Melissa McCarthy. Why on Earth would that shock you? She's made 15 of them.
Who would ever forget Tammy, the one where she robs convenience stores while her mom dies of lupus or something? Or Identity Thief, where she steals Jason Bateman's identity, I suppose? Or that one where they just remade Back To School?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
You made at least one of those up.
That all sounds so so terrible..
They are. Man, I caught part of THE BOSS when it was on HBO and hoo boy...not good.
Good for her. She's earned the right to fleece the flyover States for a couple years until her clout dries up. That seems to already be happening with her turn into more respectable dramatic projects. Gotta avoid irrelevancy!
Fuck you with the flyover state shit.
Why? Are you one of the Midwestern housewives propping up McCarthy's career?
(08-20-2019, 11:08 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Fuck you with the flyover state shit.

(08-20-2019, 07:41 PM)freeman Wrote: Why?  Are you one of the Midwestern housewives propping up McCarthy's career?

I bet Judas has a landline!

aw that takes me back!
What is this... Land, line you speak of?
Hobbs and Shaw with some surprisingly good holds. I think only a 55% drop, whereas quite a few (myself included) thought the soft opening might result in an utterly disastrous high 60ish to maybe even 70+ percent drop.

This takes the "utter disaster" possibility out of play. Bad to mediocre China numbers, loses 100+ million. Good to great China numbers, maybe approaches breaking even (that'll be tough).

Man, if this had had a BVS or TLJ style second week drop we'd be looking at a Justice League or Mortal Engines type full scale disaster.