Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
Knives Out opens at about $41 million domestic (after tracking at $20-25 million for the five-day weekend, so a massive overperformance), $70 million worldwide. Not a bad start at all, especially on a $40 million budget. Between this and Murder on the Orient Express, wouldn't be surprised if we see a full-on resurgence of the big ensemble murder mystery in the next few years, similar to how we're getting an annual big musical now.
(12-02-2019, 07:35 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Knives Out opens at about $41 million domestic (after tracking at $20-25 million for the five-day weekend, so a massive overperformance), $70 million worldwide. Not a bad start at all, especially on a $40 million budget. Between this and Murder on the Orient Express, wouldn't be surprised if we see a full-on resurgence of the big ensemble murder mystery in the next few years, similar to how we're getting an annual big musical now.

We've already got DEATH ON THE NILE in the works.  I think that one's gonna be huge.
I would bet we're probably only a few years out from a new all-star big-screen AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Todd Haynes was working on one for a bit, I wonder if that'll resurface (he needs a win after Dark Waters and Wonderstruck).
There's just something about this time of the year that works with really good thriller movies.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Maybe we'll finally get Eli Roth's "Thanksgiving!"
(12-02-2019, 09:51 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: I would bet we're probably only a few years out from a new all-star big-screen AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Todd Haynes was working on one for a bit, I wonder if that'll resurface (he needs a win after Dark Waters and Wonderstruck).

I suspect any producer thinking about ATTWN would end up checking out the BBC adaption from a couple years ago, think "Damn, there's no way in hell we can top that" and simply move on.
You underestimate the egotism of 99% of producers.
(12-03-2019, 12:38 AM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 09:51 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: I would bet we're probably only a few years out from a new all-star big-screen AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Todd Haynes was working on one for a bit, I wonder if that'll resurface (he needs a win after Dark Waters and Wonderstruck).

I suspect any producer thinking about ATTWN would end up checking out the BBC adaption from a couple years ago, think "Damn, there's no way in hell we can top that" and simply move on.

They got Tywin fucking Lannister.

It's over dude. You'll never do better.
Cast is obviously fantastic, but it is also so utterly cold and ruthless and nihilistic that it makes any future adaptions of Ten Little Indians classic completely redundant (unless it involves a drastic "reimagining" or whatever). In so many ways the ultimate adaption of that story. But you're right, all it would take is some dickhead with an ego and a checkbook.

Why isn't Maeve Dermody in more stuff?
I saw part of that adaptation a few months ago when I was in Europe. What I saw of it was indeed pretty great.
Hot Take: And Then There Were None not only has a patented godawful-twist-undermining-entire-mystery finale that Christie is known for (by me at least), but it's the WORST example of that particular literary genre.

**The original title of "Then There Were None" .... WOW.