Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KrakenHeads: The Crawl

A few of you folks read this horror script about 5 years ago, back before torture got cool. It's been drastically rewritten as a comic, and in my opinion is much, MUCH better. Will share pages real soon.
The cover looks nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata

A few of you folks read this horror script about 5 years ago, back before torture got cool. It's been drastically rewritten as a comic, and in my opinion is much, MUCH better. Will share pages real soon. Here's the cover.

I never got the chance to read the script so I am not sure what the story is about, but that cover has me interested. Can not wait to see the pages.
Here's the introductory 15 pages.

Cool, I'm digging the vibe of it and the artwork so far. It looks like something I'd start picking up to see where it leads.
I really dig that sort of dark super natural tone you've got going. Out of curiosity, in one of your Chud stories you focused on a guy who made his living on the road that gave it a sense of lonely isolation similar to this. Did you actually ever work a job like that? I think it it's a great way of establishing the tone and grounding the story.
Actually, that story happens in this comic. The Crawl is a bunch of interconnected tales tied to this bar, and that old one (THE ROAD) was heavily modded for the script I wrote. So, that'll come much later but in this comic. As for the road grind, nah. I spoke to a few folks about the grind and the rest is just embellished.
Very nice -- good use of color and nice slow, buildup.

A bit of the dialogue is bothering me, though:

"Hard to reconcile what's real."

That feels too literate or too rushed (on the writer's part).

"Since Emma passed ..."

This whole bubble feels more like an inner soliloquy and doesn't feel like spoken dialogue.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to more.
I remember you sending me a bit of the script for this back in 2005. I was going to submit a few sample strips, but got slammed with work orders and wasn't able to get anything back to you (still feel bad about that). This looks great, and it's very interesting to look at the final artwork and compare to the preliminary pencils I had worked up. Anyways, glad to see you finally got that script made. Look forward to reading this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunwukong

Very nice -- good use of color and nice slow, buildup.

A bit of the dialogue is bothering me, though:

"Hard to reconcile what's real."

That feels too literate or too rushed (on the writer's part).

"Since Emma passed ..."

This whole bubble feels more like an inner soliloquy and doesn't feel like spoken dialogue.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to more.

I want the reader to fall into the middle of something. The conversation is conversation. Some of it may feel odd and some of it may be vague and some might be expositional. It's the same way I look at real conversations. There are folks who communicate with each other in different ways. The Drake character is reeling from a variety of fucked up things as well as having his head tapped into. Chester and Tony have known each other for a dozen years so there's a weird shorthand. Also, a lot of history. Hang in there.
Very very cool. There's a serious weird vibe going on that I'm digging.
Fantastic!
It's good. It does come off the way people speak - people use different colloquialisms, dialect. I just want to find out if this guy is fucked up, being fucked with, or both. It's got some twisted Joe Lansdale vibes - his horror stuff, not the Hap/Leonard stuff.
Great stuff, Nick. When will this and your other titles start to become available?
GREAT question! I have feelers out now.
Feel free to post more pages, you know, just in case you need more feedback. jk
Ha! I posted too many already!
Quote:

Ha! I posted too many already!

I guess that depends on your perspective, but I have to admit, I'm itching to see more.
Well, I really hope that this one will be one of the first to print. I think realistically this and PAIN are awfully close and Valhalla as well.
Quote:

Well, I really hope that this one will be one of the first to print. I think realistically this and PAIN are awfully close and Valhalla as well.

Well not to kiss ass, because personally it's not my style, but I would buy this one. The others I haven't looked into so I can't say, but this one? It's right up my alley, I love the vibe you've got going and the artwork is pleasing to me. Good luck, can't wait to pick up a few issues and dig in.
Looking foward to them all. Keep the page previews coming, they've definitely gotten me interested enough to jump on these titles when they make it to print.
Great job and best of luck!!! Please keep us updated on how things work out!!!
I have a galley of the first chapter/issue/whatever. Been sending it out, and we're cooking right into chapter two. I really like how this is coming together.
Whenever this is for purchase, you've got my money.
Nick, this is great-looking stuff. I'm really digging the art and the minimalist writing. Miles beyond what we've seen before, kudos.
Definitely, you've got a sale in me. Curious to see what ceilinghead does next.
Looks really interesting so far. Count me in with the group who'd like to see more. The cop and doctor look an awful lot like Sam and Twitch, though.

Obligatory "what about Mythopolis?" mention.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gravedigger

Looks really interesting so far. Count me in with the group who'd like to see more. The cop and doctor look an awful lot like Sam and Twitch, though.

Obligatory "what about Mythopolis?" mention.

Yeah, I gave the artist a little licence with that and he did do a little S&T-esque look to them. Won't be much of a concern for long.

Mythopolis is on unknown hiatus. I doubt it'll happen, despite my wishes. I may revisit it in a different format.
Issue One is DONE. Fully colored, inked, texted, and all that noise.