The Trouble City Forums
Ideas For Future Drafts - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Ideas For Future Drafts (/showthread.php?tid=147438)

- Pither - 09-04-2015

The 50s are just as good a movie decade as any, and apparently haven't been done yet. I'd be up for it.

- Fat Elvis - 09-04-2015

The 50's would rule!

- capt renault - 09-04-2015

Count me in for the 50's draft. Never participated in a decade draft before, but the 50's has some of my favorite films. Probably second best decade for me after the 70's.

- bailey - 09-05-2015

Need nine more commits for the 50's for minimum of 16.

- Judas Booth - 09-05-2015

I'll do 50s.

- justancient - 09-05-2015

I'll give this a try

- flint - 09-05-2015

How many movies would be in the draft? My 50s film breadth is mostly b-movies and the classics. Think I'd have trouble near the end.

- bailey - 09-05-2015

A80-100.

- hammerhead - 09-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post

How many movies would be in the draft? My 50s film breadth is mostly b-movies and the classics. Think I'd have trouble near the end.

With previous decade drafts, we've pre-selected a start and stop date for USA releases, sometimes naming titles to represent those dates. IMDB is your friend. Titles drafted would be the version released in the US at the time, so for instance that would mean that only the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla would be eligible.

- Richard Dickson - 09-05-2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by flint View Post

A lot of people go for specific themes.  If your knowledge is only in certain areas, you could do a draft of films from that area.

- MrTyres - 09-05-2015

For the Aughts draft, my theme was Chris Cooper, as he seemed to be adding dramatic weight everywhere.

- axelbratoski - 09-05-2015

Count me in for the 50s.

- flint - 09-05-2015

Very well, I'll give it a try.

- henry d - 09-05-2015

AThe 50's sounds good but I'll need to catch up on a lot of movies.

- hammerhead - 09-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

For the Aughts draft, my theme was Chris Cooper, as he seemed to be adding dramatic weight everywhere.

For the 60s draft, my theme was black-and-white films from 1964. Self-imposed limitations can be fun.

- Fat Elvis - 09-05-2015

Curious, who invented the idea of drafting a theme? Back in the day when either Nick or Kirby was running the draft, all the oldtime Chewers just drafted the best films or made best available choice.. Not sure why we got away from the purity of that. Now al people talk about is 'theme', 'theme', 'theme'. I don't get it.

- Fat Elvis - 09-05-2015

I didn't mean that to sound harsh, and i'm not dissing anyone, just curious when the shift took place.

- arjen rudd - 09-05-2015

AA big part of the appeal is the idea that you're programming a film marathon, I think. Five movies that pair well, that maybe compliment or contrast thematic ideas with one another. It's satisfying to attempt.

But then, what is a 50s draft but already themed? Maybe we ought to just do a flat out Movie draft one of these days. No period or limitations at all, just five movies. That would be a good one to ditch theme and just grab the absolute five best films.

- schwartz - 09-05-2015

AI too have always had trouble understanding the theme approach. Not that some cohesion in the final product isn't nice, but the cuter and more esoteric you get, the more you remove yourself from the competition aspect, which is sort of the whole thing.

Like if you have a sports draft and one team has decided to draft an entire squad of nothing but forwards and their opponent has decided to pick only centers, they're both pretty much operating in a vacuum. It makes all the structure about alternating picks and so forth irrelevant. It's turning a free for all into a game of solitaire.

- justancient - 09-05-2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

A big part of the appeal is the idea that you're programming a film marathon, I think. Five movies that pair well, that maybe compliment or contrast thematic ideas with one another. It's satisfying to attempt.

But then, what is a 50s draft but already themed? Maybe we ought to just do a flat out Movie draft one of these days. No period or limitations at all, just five movies. That would be a good one to ditch theme and just grab the absolute five best films.

That could be great. And the theme of that is easy. Your five desert island movies. And we vote for which of us will survive the island the longest. Or something.

- hammerhead - 09-06-2015

I don't generally start out with a theme. But midway through most drafts, a pattern in my choices emerges and I have fun following it.

- bailey - 09-06-2015

A[quote name="Fat Elvis" url="/community/t/147438/ideas-for-future-drafts/300#post_3939315"]Curious, who invented the idea of drafting a theme? Back in the day when either Nick or Kirby was running the draft, all the oldtime Chewers just drafted the best films or made best available choice.. Not sure why we got away from the purity of that. Now al people talk about is 'theme', 'theme', 'theme'. I don't get it.
[/quote]

The first decade draft had some people talking about theme, as I recall. Nothing specific, like all animation, or exploitation movies, or anything like that. But people definitely wanted to pick films that represented the era as best as possible, I think. I guess that's not really a theme exactly, but in discussing their drafts, people wanted some kind central organizing principle to their selections other than best available; especially since everybody has gaps in "essential" viewing. So how better to justify the b horror you like over some art house classic that many haven't even seen? By tying the picks together in some way. I think the problem is theme for the sake of itself. It's one thing to want to want to represent the great Korean cinema in the Aughts, and to center a draft around that. It's another to just pick all movies where the protagonist dies for the heck of it. That said, Arjen's resurrection 80's draft was one of my favorite drafts ever, so sometimes it works.

- ratty - 09-06-2015

I only shoot for a theme if it's a genre/decade where I have a very deep bench (horror or the 80's, for example).  The 1950's will probably go theme-less for me.

- flint - 09-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

So how better to justify the b horror you like over some art house classic that many haven't even seen?

Reviewing the fifties, I'm actually reasonably proud of the 'quality' films I've managed to hit over the years, but my draft is still going to be a lot of schlock, because I grew up watching schlock. But I highly doubt my first pick (and hopefully the second) will be anything other than a quality film and then I'll mine some cheesy fun for the end.

But yeah. Tokyo Story (widely regarded as one of the best movies of all time?) or THEM! (errr... giant ants). I think everyone knows me well enough to know which one I've actually seen.

- Richard Dickson - 09-06-2015

I think what happened with the theme was we did so many of these drafts so frequently that people decided to do something to make it interesting for themselves.  I mean, you had maybe 20 people in a draft picking 10 movies per decade.  Chances are you knew the 200 movies that would get picked; it was just a matter of who picked them and when.  With a theme at least there's some surprise as to what you pick to represent it.

- Judas Booth - 10-21-2015

Bump.

Weren't we going to do a decade draft or something?

- henry d - 10-21-2015

AI think Bailey wants to run the 50's draft. Either that or a mid 2010's draft that would be more appropriate by the end of the year.

- schwartz - 11-11-2015

Anyone with experience want to help me set up that action sequence draft?

- Judas Booth - 11-11-2015

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Anyone with experience want to help me set up that action sequence draft?

It'd be my pleasure to assist.  Let me know what you need.  PM if necessary.

- turingmachine75 - 11-11-2015

ASweeeeeeet

- schwartz - 11-11-2015

Looking at the calendar, it's probably better to push it out until after Thanksgiving.  Unless people are eager to get started next week, and don't mind the bracket-matchups being interrupted by a long holiday weekend.

- arjen rudd - 11-11-2015

Nah, let's do the week after Thanksgiving!

- arjen rudd - 01-30-2016

AI'm ready to run a draft. Any suggestions?

Right now, I'm thinking Satire Draft or Western Draft.

- henry d - 01-30-2016

AI'm still up for the 50's draft.

- dilla7 - 01-30-2016

AMy idea is to take a bad movie from the actors the director and so on that never worked from any time period.The goal would be to make it a good film.