The Trouble City Forums
Ideas For Future Drafts - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Ideas For Future Drafts (/showthread.php?tid=147438)

- huntertarantino - 05-03-2017

I still vote 80's redux.

- henry d - 05-03-2017

A80s, please.

- Judas Booth - 05-03-2017

I'll do 80s or STAR WARS OT.

- capt renault - 05-03-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Yeah - I mean, we did go through a pretty big casting draft last month, but this would be the exact best time to do a SW one.

Gang draft is still a pretty killer concept, though.

I communicated with Judas about the Gang Draft a while ago, but never found the time to start it up. I appreciate that there's still interest in tackling it. Maybe it's something we can do during the summer break, late July/early August. Should have some free time then.

SW sound cool for now. Probably more timely than the 80's draft.

- Judas Booth - 05-03-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Renault View Post

I communicated with Judas about the Gang Draft a while ago, but never found the time to start it up.

Just keeping that fire burning for ya, Renault.  A great idea is a great idea.

- arjen rudd - 05-04-2017

AStar Wars OT is worth doing now. I'm surprised we've not done it yet.

- boone daniels - 05-04-2017

So if we do a SW OT casting draft, the best time to do it would probably be the last week in May (the 25th falls on a Saturday).

It seems like the Batman draft was a wild success, but that folks had concerns about how unwieldy certain aspects (particularly the lists thread) became.

There was also debate about how we were actually going to judge the thing. With that in mind, we should probably discuss:

1. Roles to cast.

2. Additions or expansions of the rules.

3. Judging - brackets? Categories? What categories?

I'm happy to help where I can (the chosen, facilitating discussion), but I don't enjoy fully running/planning the casting drafts.

- Judas Booth - 05-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

It seems like the Batman draft was a wild success, but that folks had concerns about how unwieldy certain aspects (particularly the lists thread) became.

My one complaint was with the huge, huge posts surrounding storylines, premieres, award ceremonies, etc...  I get that people were inspired by their drafts and wanted to have fun with them, but it ended up getting out of hand in terms of competition.  In order to give your draft a 'fighting chance' in the brackets, you kinda had to go all out with writing hours and hours of additional material.  That needs to be limited.

As to roles:

Luke Skywalker

Han Solo

Princess Leia Organa

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi

C3P0

Darth Vader

Grand Moff Tarkin

Wedge Antilles

Admiral Piett

Lando Calrissian

Yoda

Boba Fett

Bib Fortuna

Mon Mothma

Questionable (due to costumes/non-human speech/limitations):

Chewbacca

Jabba the Hutt

Wicket

R2D2

Questionable (due to limited importance/screentime)

General Dodonna

General Veers

Admiral Ozzel

Biggs Darklighter

Lobot

Oola

Drafter picks a total of 10 from the list, 7 of which must come from the primary cast.

- boone daniels - 05-04-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

My one complaint was with the huge, huge posts surrounding storylines, premieres, award ceremonies, etc...  I get that people were inspired by their drafts and wanted to have fun with them, but it ended up getting out of hand in terms of competition.  In order to give your draft a 'fighting chance' in the brackets, you kinda had to go all out with writing hours and hours of additional material.  That needs to be limited.

One of the things I thought worked well with the Rock Hall draft was the "deep cuts" thread. I know we'd talked about word count before, but I think it would be supremely helpful to have a "supplemental material" thread that you could link to if you so chose.

Personally, my thought has been 250-500 words, roughly, including character descriptions, etc., for the main thread.

I'd also throw director  in there as one of the draftable slots. Maybe composer as a bonus?

- Judas Booth - 05-04-2017

Director and composer for bonus.  That's the way I'd roll with it.

- Dent6084 - 05-04-2017

Yeah, I think supplemental material definitely needs to be limited, and putting a hard limit sounds like the way to go.

I do think that there being a more defined story w/ drafting the OT will help, given that a lot of the Batman stuff came about because people had to pitch their own stories, IMO, whereas here there's a much stricter track to stay on.

- arjen rudd - 05-06-2017

AI mean, as I understood it, the Batman draft was always very intentionally designed to encourage our more fanfic-y impulses. It was there in its very construction. So of course the people who worked harder had an advantage in the competitive angle, but enough people complained about that, so we skipped even having brackets or competition at all. And it was still one of the best drafts.

Star Wars should be your basic casting draft. And I don't intend to select a Mon Mothma. I suggest ten roles, and then the Bonus round is a random pick 'em. Or even eight roles.

- boone daniels - 05-07-2017

So - Star Wars casting draft, starting the 29th? The weekend after the 40th?

- atomtastic - 05-07-2017

may the 29th be with you

- bailey - 05-07-2017

Well, I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters that weekend, but I can waste time with my friends later.

- Richard Dickson - 05-07-2017

We casting the whole OT, or just Star Wars?

I'm always on the side of the simpler, the better when it comes to these.

- hammerhead - 05-07-2017

Yeah, I'd rather just deal with one movie.

- bailey - 05-07-2017

Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Voice of Darth Vader if we do five.  Threepio, Lando, Emperor, Tarkin, voice of Yoda if we do 10.  (Bonus Mon Mothma, Boba Fett, or Ackbar.)

- Richard Dickson - 05-07-2017

Well, I'd be okay with the OT if we kept it limited to the main roles.  My simplicity comment was more about just keeping this to drafting a cast with maybe a director and/or composer as a bonus.  Throwing in a bunch of extras doesn't appeal to me.

- atomtastic - 05-07-2017

I would like to cast Threepio.

- Dent6084 - 05-07-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Voice of Darth Vader if we do five.  Threepio, Lando, Emperor, Tarkin, voice of Yoda if we do 10.  (Bonus Mon Mothma, Boba Fett, or Ackbar.)

I think the ten with bonus of Director/Composer sounds the best. Just picking five sounds a little too limited, IMO.

- bailey - 05-07-2017

The other alternative would be to do the first five plus Threepio and Tarkin for the ANH draft some people want.   But if you're going to do two days of double picks why not just make it the full five so we can draft Lando, Palpatine, and Yoda too?  We're never going to do a separate draft just for them.

- arjen rudd - 05-07-2017

AI vote OT, ten roles

- boone daniels - 05-08-2017

Some ideas:

1. Full OT recast, ten roles plus a director.

2. We do three the first day - everyone has to announce their director on the second round of the first day.

3. We limit the amount of supplemental material in the main thread - although I expect with this draft, there will be less of it - and create a separate thread for supplemental material. Graphics/design are okay, though.

4. Rather than mandate specific characters, what about tiers? So rather than be forced to pick a Luke/Han, etc., you have to cast a set number from tier 1 (thinking 5), 2 from Tier 2, and then your remaining 3 from wherever you want (incld. Tier 3), but your characters have to come from a pre-set list. So if we take Judas' list, it might look like this:

Tier 1:

Luke Skywalker

Han Solo

Princess Leia Organa

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi

C3P0

Darth Vader
Chewbacca

Yoda

Tier 2:

Grand Moff Tarkin

Wedge Antilles

Lando Calrissian

The Emperor 
Boba Fett

R2D2

Tier 3:

Admiral Piett

Bib Fortuna

Mon Mothma

Jabba the Hutt

Wicket

General Dodonna

General Veers

Admiral Ozzel

Biggs Darklighter

Lobot

Oola

- Richard Dickson - 05-08-2017

If we're doing brackets, I'd rather have everyone drafting the same characters so you can actually make a comparison.

Again, simplicity is better.  We're taking something that has worked for years as a simple "Here are the characters, draft your actors" and trying to over-complicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

If we're doing brackets, I'd rather have everyone drafting the same characters so you can actually make a comparison.

Again, simplicity is better.  We're taking something that has worked for years as a simple "Here are the characters, draft your actors" and trying to over-complicate it.

Well, that's the question - do we want to do brackets, or decide on categories ahead of time?

Just because we've done something that's worked for years doesn't mean we can't try something different.

- hypnotoad - 05-08-2017

I've whittled my list of potential Boba Fetts down to just 2,200 actors who have the ability to stand upright.  Depending on who I cast for Dengar, I can get it down to about 7.

We did try something different with the Batman draft.  I'm just saying I wouldn't mind something nice and simple this time around.

I think something like seven roles pre-decided across the whole of the OT and then three "free spaces" from a list might work.

- atomtastic - 05-08-2017

I don't even know who General Dodonna, General Veers and Admiral Ozzel are!

Here's ten: 

1. Luke Skywalker
  2. Han Solo
  3. Princess Leia Organa
  4. Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi
  5. C3P0
  6. Darth Vader
  7. The Emperor
  8. Yoda
  9. Lando
  10. Boba Fett

I could also see something where you choose either Boba, Jabba, or Tarkin. So that'd be 9 slots and 1 "choose," plus a director.

- Judas Booth - 05-08-2017

For Fett, I'd mainly be drafting a voice.

- atomtastic - 05-08-2017

Tarkin is way more important than Boba Fett! He has what, three lines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

Tarkin is way more important than Boba Fett! He has what, three lines?

Since the idea seemed to be an OT draft generally, that's why I suggested picking Tarkin, Fett, or Jabba, depending on your fancy.

Replace Fett with Tarkin on the list of ten and that's your draft right there.  Throw in your director as a bonus.  Leave the script and story alone.  No re-imagined Star Wars with seventeen posts of supplemental material describing how Vader isn't really Luke's father and he's not Leia's brother and Han dies and whatever.