The Trouble City Forums
Ideas For Future Drafts - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Ideas For Future Drafts (/showthread.php?tid=147438)

- bailey - 05-28-2013

I'm waiting for dilla to suggest we draft draft ideas.

- dilla7 - 05-28-2013

ANah one idea gotta be good

- atomtastic - 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

This.

The idea of casting a modern film (Avengers, say) with a 70's era cast is intriguing.

Oh, and Young Frankenstein.

Who's up for kick starting a Young Frankenstein casting draft?

- MrTyres - 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

Who's up for kick starting a Young Frankenstein casting draft?

I think I may try my hand at directing it.  I have some free time coming up. Let's say a start date AFTER the the US 4th of July. Let me do some pre-planning and I will post in a bit.

- Tim K - 01-27-2014

AI'm resurrecting this thread from six months ago to ask a question. With casting drafts all the rage right now, is anyone up for an old fashioned draft in honor of the awards season?

I was thinking along the lines of Best Original Story or Best Adapted Story. Depending on feedback this draft could be exclusive to Oscar nominees and winners, or could be opened to the entirety of film history.

Personally I think Best Original Story or Screenplay would inspire a lot of discussion about what qualifies a film as being original. To take a famous example, does the story in Citizen Kane qualify it as original or is it more of a "based on a true story" type film where liberties were taken with the true story? Another interesting question about originality surrounds the film Dances with Wolves, where the screenwriter wrote the screenplay first, but couldn't get it produced so he adapted it into a novel which then became popular enough to get optioned. Would that make it an adaptation of an adaptation or a strange case where the book of the film was essentially written to prove the viability of the script and the script can retain its claim to being the origin of the story (Regardless of the fact that the Academy awarded Dances With Wolves the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar)?

- mrbananagrabber - 01-27-2014

I'll second this.  Especially because I can't wrap my head around casting drafts.

- dilla7 - 01-27-2014

AHow bout we take shitty movies really bad ones and recast to the actors right down to the director even.

- bailey - 01-27-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I'm resurrecting this thread from six months ago to ask a question. With casting drafts all the rage right now, is anyone up for an old fashioned draft in honor of the awards season?

I was thinking along the lines of Best Original Story or Best Adapted Story. Depending on feedback this draft could be exclusive to Oscar nominees and winners, or could be opened to the entirety of film history.

Personally I think Best Original Story or Screenplay would inspire a lot of discussion about what qualifies a film as being original. To take a famous example, does the story in Citizen Kane qualify it as original or is it more of a "based on a true story" type film where liberties were taken with the true story? Another interesting question about originality surrounds the film Dances with Wolves, where the screenwriter wrote the screenplay first, but couldn't get it produced so he adapted it into a novel which then became popular enough to get optioned. Would that make it an adaptation of an adaptation or a strange case where the book of the film was essentially written to prove the viability of the script and the script can retain its claim to being the origin of the story (Regardless of the fact that the Academy awarded Dances With Wolves the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar)?

To be honest, that sounds like a nightmare of semantics and pedantic bickering to me.

I was hoping to try another 70's films draft next, since it's been six or seven years since the last one.  It's a fun way to talk about the best decade for American cinema, and potentially line up a bunch of movies you need to see.  But I was waiting a bit since we just had a draft.

- arjen rudd - 01-27-2014

I'd vote for 70s draft myself.

- ratty - 01-27-2014

I'd be up for another 70's draft  It's been YEARS.

Also:  50's draft hasn't been done yet.  Be an even greater challenge.

- schwartz - 01-29-2014

Spinning off Tim K's idea, what if we just made the topic Adaptations?  Basically anything that has a "based on..." in the credits, but the challenge would be in defending your picks as particularly good adaptations of that source material.

I was thinking of doing that as a KO, but every time I thought about it the potential field kept swelling (every superhero movie and Shakespeare film, just for starters), to the point that it would be too unwieldy.  But as a draft?

- hammerhead - 01-30-2014

I'd want it narrowed down to works based on published books or plays.

- bailey - 01-30-2014

That could work, but it's still a pretty wide field.  Also, I'm not sure the value of drafting specifically adapted works.  Are we drafting them for the quality of the adaptation?  Because I tend to prefer to look at the film versions as their own thing.

- schwartz - 01-30-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

That could work, but it's still a pretty wide field.  Also, I'm not sure the value of drafting specifically adapted works.  Are we drafting them for the quality of the adaptation?  Because I tend to prefer to look at the film versions as their own thing.

Nothing wrong with that as a general outlook, but it would kind of cut against the point of this particular exercise.

- schwartz - 02-11-2014

Okay, people, I think it's about time for an auteur-theory bloodbath.  I'm talking about a straight-up Director draft.  What say you curs?

- Judas Booth - 02-11-2014

Weren't we doing a 70's draft next?

- ratty - 02-11-2014

I'd definitely be down for that.  All-time or currently living?

- schwartz - 02-11-2014

All time.  I was thinking currently living for a KO, but the list still felt too unwieldy and I figure there's more room for debate in the draft format.

- Fat Elvis - 08-17-2014

We totally should make the Horror Draft an annual Fall CHUD ritual.  Sure, a lot of covering the same ground, but still would be fun. And always a chance of a new DREAMCATCHER-like championed cult classic to emerge.

- ratty - 08-17-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post

We totally should make the Horror Draft an annual Fall CHUD ritual.  Sure, a lot of covering the same ground, but still would be fun. And always a chance of a new DREAMCATCHER-like championed cult classic to emerge.

Why don't we change it up a bit and do a horror NOVEL draft instead?

- MrTyres - 08-18-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

Why don't we change it up a bit and do a horror NOVEL draft instead?

How much Stephen King do you want in your draft? Granted the population of this forum is going to be better read, but is there enough depth among the many drafters to make it work?

Plus, I thought Arjen Rudd was going to run a Monsters Draft for Halloween.

- arjen rudd - 08-18-2014

That's my plan, but if everyone wants to do something else, I don't mind at all. Open dialogue!

- MrTyres - 10-25-2014

So Judas's bonus pick for the monster draft has got me thinking about the cold, dark days of the impending winter. Winter is coming, and it is a time of death, as the earth lies dormant.

What about a Best Death Draft? There are a ton of picks available, with plenty of room for thematic grouping. Hell, drafting from the Final Destination series could probably fill up three drafts.   Obviously not anytime soon, but say January, after the holidays.

- arjen rudd - 10-26-2014

AI suggest Die Hard for the next casting draft. Tons of good characters there.

- Dent6084 - 10-26-2014

Die Hard would be terrific.  I'd love to see a draft for something older - Twelve Angry Men comes to mind as something that could be really fun and/or supercompetitive, or maybe something like Singin' In The Rain or North by Northwest (neither of which may have enough roles, but could provide some intriguing challenges along the way).

Also, someone (Anakin's Dad?) suggested a "Hero Draft" at some point, which would also be a lot of fun.

- Richard Dickson - 10-26-2014

AThe Wizard of Oz could be a fun one.

- warlock1459 - 10-26-2014

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

The Wizard of Oz could be a fun one.

I would love to do a Wizard of Oz draft that would be a fun one.

- axelbratoski - 10-26-2014

As I already suggested before the Ghostbusters casting draft, Back to the Future or Escape from New York would be fun. Also, Reservoir Dogs or Glengarry Glen Ross, although those are lacking female characters. Die Hard and The Wizard of Oz would be great as well.

- henry d - 10-26-2014

AReservoir Dogs & Wizard of Oz would be cool. I would also suggest Blade Runner.

I figure Wiz gives us:

• Dorothy
  • Scarecrow
  • Tin Man
  • Lion
  • Wizard
  • Glinda
  • Wicked Witch of the West
  • Uncle Henry
  • Auntie Em

That's 9, with the 10th being a wildcard pick of any other role.  Bonus picks could be director or composer, and for extra fun, you could pick the "twist," your version of the switch from B&W to color.

- turingmachine75 - 10-26-2014

AI like the idea of drafting The Wizard of Oz, and Tyres idea of a Best Deaths draft is delightfully morbid.

How about alternating between casting drafts and themed drafts (director, monster, etc.)?

If there were enough participants I wonder how teams could work.

- costco mike - 10-26-2014

Ya, I'm seconding that Best Death draft.

I'd be on board for the death draft as well, if only for the images/GIFs we'd get out of it.

- anyawatchin angel - 10-26-2014

Sea Bean would be selected 20 times.

- costco mike - 10-26-2014

We could probably just do a Sean Bean death draft as well