The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - jacknifejohnny - 04-29-2016

So I guess in five years time, there won't be anything on television or in the multiplex that isn't part of the MCU. Started to keep the DD S2 thread clean. Go ahead if you care.

Edit: I just want to admit to being completely wrong. A few years ago I stated that I didn't think Marvel would ever touch The Punisher as he didn't click with their Disney owned, PG-13 universe. That was before Daredevil S1 and before they did exactly what I said they wouldn't do in Daredevil S2.

- Nooj - 04-29-2016

"ey red... I know you can read MY thoughts..."

meow meow meow meow

- bradito - 04-29-2016

AI'll probably stream this.

- moltisanti - 04-29-2016

I for one hope the show has more to offer than just cheap thrills. It better have some depth and subtext. Lots and lots of subtext. Because if all this show has to offer is The Punisher brutalizing criminals with no remorse from one scene to the next then... well that would be pretty neat actually.

- Nooj - 04-29-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

I for one hope the show has more to offer than just cheap thrills. It better have some depth and subtext. Lots and lots of subtext. Because if all this show has to offer is The Punisher brutalizing criminals with no remorse from one scene to the next then... well that would be pretty neat actually.

I've got whiplash!

- headless fett - 04-29-2016

My body is ready!

- MrSaxon - 04-29-2016

Seeing as Bernthal and Holland are apparently best buds, I'd love if they somehow managed to get a Spider-Man cameo on the show. Ah, a man can wish.

- jacknifejohnny - 04-29-2016

Doubtful, but I would give everything for this...

- Dent6084 - 04-29-2016

Think the fact that Spidey's a kid now probably rules that scene out, but who's to say.

I know Ennis is worshipped here, but I'd love it if they drew on elements of Rucka's 16-issue run.  Rachel Cole-Alves and the two detectives working her case (including the one who's actually working with Punisher) would be good supporting characters, and the Exchange (supervillain minions who decide to get out of the costumed henchmen gig and into more organized crime) are strong villains, particularly Poulsen.  That may be more of a S2 or 3 arc, though.  Depends on the tone, because Ennis' run is much more darkly funny - what with the various deaths of both Ma Gnucci and the Russian and Frank's various encounters with Spacker Dave among many other elements, not to mention the ongoing saga of Detective Soap - than Frank's appearances on Daredevil.

- malmordo - 04-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Depends on the tone, because Ennis' run is much more darkly funny - what with the various deaths of both Ma Gnucci and the Russian and Frank's various encounters with Spacker Dave among many other elements, not to mention the ongoing saga of Detective Soap - than Frank's appearances on Daredevil.

Darkly funny is absolutely the way to proceed with this character. WAR ZONE nailed the tone.

- ska oreo - 04-30-2016

AEeeeeh. I really don't think a series with War Zone's tone would work.

Basically, I think Max is the only time the character had been compelling, and I don't think a Netflix series would be willing to get that bleak or dark with its tone.

- schwartz - 04-30-2016

The tone of War Zone (the movie) would not fit Bernthal's take on the character very well.  Not to mention it would probably wear thin at season length.  But I should probably shut up, I've never been a fan of the character, so the series is probably not going to work for me no matter what.

- headless fett - 05-01-2016

If they stick to the brutal and somewhat realistic tone that they set in Daredevil I think that it will do just fine.

- jacknifejohnny - 10-06-2016

ABernthal was recently quoted as saying The Punisher in his upcoming series will be "totally unlikable". I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but it warms my heart as I don't think Castle should be portrayed as a hero at all.

- schwartz - 10-06-2016

Yeah, that's sounds great and I don't buy it at all.

- ska oreo - 10-06-2016

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4145213"]Yeah, that's sounds great and I don't buy it at all.
[/quote]

Yeah. I still don't buy they'll go anywhere near MAX.

- bradito - 10-06-2016

AI'm not sure Bernthal understands why people tune in to their favorite TV shows.

"Hmm, what's going on with that character I hate...?"

- virtanen - 10-06-2016

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4145237"]I'm not sure Bernthal understands why people tune in to their favorite TV shows.

"Hmm, what's going on with that character I hate...?"[/quote]

That's the reason people (=me) watch reality TV.

- bradito - 10-06-2016

AWill this be a reality show?

- schwartz - 10-06-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Will this be a reality show?

It would be amaaaaaaaaaazing if they went fully Man Bites Dog with it.

- virtanen - 10-06-2016

APunishing With The Stars
Celebrity Punisher
ABC's The Punisherette

- mike's pants - 10-06-2016

AHelp! I Married a Punisher!

AI'm all over this but I worry that they sort of covered everything already.

- bradito - 10-06-2016

AYep, no more stories to tell!

@_@

- moltisanti - 10-06-2016

They've yet to cover the story of when The Punisher punched a polar bear in the face.

- bradito - 10-06-2016

AThe whole issue where he's unarmed in the zoo and pursued by gangsters is a delight.

- jmacq1 - 10-06-2016

Some casting announcements out of New York Comic-Con:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26831/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_punisher_announces_three_new_cast_members?linkId=29613508

Micro is in (to the surprise of very few).  Doesn't look like we're getting a "traditional" Micro though.

Also, there are a few shots floating around online that seem to indicate:

Deborah Ann Woll/Karen Page will be making at the very least a cameo.

A[quote name="Ska Oreo" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4145219"]
Yeah. I still don't buy they'll go anywhere near MAX.[/quote]

They already have to a point, but yes, there are certain shades Ennis added to Castle's personality that might be a bit too scary (especially in regards to his past) or difficult for producers to handle.

- jmacq1 - 10-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

They already have to a point, but yes, there are certain shades Ennis added to Castle's personality that might be a bit too scary (especially in regards to his past) or difficult for producers to handle.

Yeah, especially the "Oh my God I really do just love killing people more than anything else in this world" aspects.  Which would also be hard to square with his monologue to Daredevil about his return home from the war/the deaths of his family.

- moltisanti - 10-06-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post

Some casting announcements out of New York Comic-Con:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26831/netflix_original_series_marvels_the_punisher_announces_three_new_cast_members?linkId=29613508

Micro is in (to the surprise of very few).  Doesn't look like we're getting a "traditional" Micro though.

I don't know a lot about the guy they cast. I just know I don't like him because he's not Stephen Root.

- huntertarantino - 10-06-2016

ARoot would've been ideal.

A[quote name="Jmacq1" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4145289"]

Yeah, especially the "Oh my God I really do just love killing people more than anything else in this world" aspects.  Which would also be hard to square with his monologue to Daredevil about his return home from the war/the deaths of his family.
[/quote]

I think people are ready for a character like Ennis' Frank Castle because of stuff like Dexter (I only watched the first season, but I have a general impression), but I'm not sure if they're ready to commit to that in the context of an in-universe Marvel show. Part of the reason Punisher MAX was successful is because it was out of mainstream Marvel continuity, so Ennis could go to places that were far darker than he could in Marvel Knights.

Will Castle frag a commanding officer simply because he wanted to remain deployed and in an active war zone where he could indulge in his desire to kill people? Doubtful. Are we going to see Castle murder two sexually abusive parents in a basement while their kids are upstairs? Probably not. Are you going to see him beat a woman to death for her involvement in a white slavery ring? Unlikely.

- atomtastic - 10-06-2016

After Wayne Knight, the only way to go is down, honestly.

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4145268"]Yep, no more stories to tell!

@_@[/quote]

I deserved that.

- Neil Spurn - 10-06-2016

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I'm not sure Bernthal understands why people tune in to their favorite TV shows.

"Hmm, what's going on with that character I hate...?"

Hmm.  See the one-season show Mob City.