The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - thecooleravian - 12-30-2018

The Punisher: Journey To The Fireworks Factory

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - ska oreo - 12-30-2018

(12-30-2018, 06:48 AM)Evi Wrote: "As for the man himself, Frank Castle won't be doing some Punishing from the get go. It will take the actions of John Pilgrim and his allies to draw the violent side of Frank Castle out into the open. But when Castle does put on that skull-adorned vest, it will be an epic moment."

God, why the fuck are these people allowed to run a Punisher show?
I still maintain that the show you guys want The Punisher to  be would be

A: Awful
B: no where near sustainable for even an eight episode run

Punisher S1 is easily one of my favorites of the Netflix Marvel stuff, but I did think it felt like a one and done season, so I don't really feel the need for another season.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - atomtastic - 12-30-2018

[attachment=2108]

lol

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Evi - 12-30-2018

You mean a pulpy show that has The Punisher being the Punisher? It'd be fucking awesome. They've magically been able to sustain that for years in the comic books. Just get the guys who did Banshee, Spartacus or Strike Back to run it. But I guess our tastes are simply different here because I could barely finish the first season.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - ska oreo - 12-30-2018

(12-30-2018, 03:06 PM)Evi Wrote: You mean a pulpy show that has The Punisher being the Punisher? It'd be fucking awesome. They've magically been able to sustain that for years in the comic books. Just get the guys who did Banshee, Spartacus or Strike Back to run it. But I guess our tastes are simply different here because I could barely finish the first season.

Considering that Spartacus and Strike Back aren't great, eeeeh....

The problem with every single Marvel netflix show (besides a bloated episode list) is their inability to maintain a balance between the comic book goofiness and the grounded stakes of the street setting.  Of the shows released on Netflix, I thought The Punisher did a far better job of maintaining that balance and felt more in tune with some of the earlier Garth Ennis works, which is what I've always wanted in the first place.

On paper, the idea of Punisher: Warzone stretched into a limited series sounds fun, but considering I think having a show be solely be about Frank murdering stereotypical italian mobsters and thugs sort of reviles just how shallow The Punisher is.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bradito - 12-30-2018

*owns Spartacus and Strike Back on DVD*

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Evi - 12-30-2018

Firstly, neither Strike Back nor Spartacus are bad. Spartacus is actually one of my shows shows ever and second only to Black Sails in pure pulpy delights.

That out of the way, something akin to Ennis's work on Maxx is exactly what I want too but I think the first season was seriously far from that. And for what it's worth I don't actually like Warzone that much either and certainly don't think it'd make a good series. I want a series that makes no excuses for Frank, and doesn't have to work up to his being The Punisher. He's one of Marvel's most terrifying characters, the one whose attachment to war scares even higher ups like Nick Fury.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bradito - 12-30-2018

I guess Netflix doesn't want to have a TV series where the hero solves every problem with a mass shooting.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - farsight - 12-30-2018

Spartacus and Strike Back are both better than any Marvel TV show. Spartacus is better than anything Marvel has put to film.

The Adventures of Frank Castle, Non-Punisher should last at MOST 40 minutes. Any longer and they're just wasting everyone's time.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - slim - 12-30-2018

(12-30-2018, 08:57 PM)farsight Wrote: The Adventures of Frank Castle, Non-Punisher should last at MOST 40 minutes. Any longer and they're just wasting everyone's time.

I agree here. A reluctant Frank being dragged back into the punishing game over multiple episodes sounds like a tiresome retread of last season. And since many of these shows have had a terrible problem with wheel-spinning, this is not a super-great sign. I say that as someone who liked S1 pretty well, and really dug the character on Daredevil.

I don't think anyone here is expecting or asking for 10 episodes of War Zone, with nothing *but* Castle mass murdering criminal fools-- but mass murdering criminal fools ought to be his day job, without a lot of fucking preamble. Then there's some wrinkle, some bigger problem or villain, and the story goes from there. In that respect the Punisher doesn't need to be too far off Bond, or the Strike Back guys, or any other semi-grounded adventure hero you'd care to name. They've made it work that way in the comics-- Ennis in particular-- for years.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 12-30-2018

(12-30-2018, 05:05 PM)bradito Wrote: I guess Netflix doesn't want to have a TV series where the hero solves every problem with a mass shooting.

They may have made an error picking up the show.

Also....make it over the top like the 89 movie and you would be good.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Alt-molt - 12-31-2018

(12-30-2018, 09:53 PM)slim Wrote: I don't think anyone here is expecting or asking for 10 episodes of War Zone, with nothing *but* Castle mass murdering criminal fools--

Well yeah nobody is asking for that. No reason to ask for that. Can't imagine anybody asking for that. But do we know who we could ask for that? Only as a hypothetical.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - farsight - 12-31-2018

Ten episodes of War Zone would be dandy.

I'd also accept ten episodes of The Incredible Punisher, wherein a mopey Frank Castle arrives in a new town each week, seeking to start over, warning bad guys not to make him angry. For five minutes. Followed by forty minutes of War Zone, followed by Castle somberly walking off into the sunset to try again as a sad piano plays.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Evi - 12-31-2018

I'd love an adaptation of one of the stories where Frank is employed by the government, less a vigilante and more a soldier who goes way off script.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - superlaser - 12-31-2018

(12-31-2018, 06:59 AM)Evi Wrote: I'd love an adaptation of one of the stories where Frank is employed by the government, less a vigilante and more a soldier who goes way off script.
If you want to withhold the Punishing for a while, THAT'S the way to do it.  Have Frank being held back by something/someone else beside boring, navel gazing self doubt over and over and over.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 12-31-2018

Or shorten everything to like 3 episodes and make it basically a great long form Punisher story with each episode ending with him taking out another rung on whatever evil ladder he is climbing. None of this really matters anyway I guess. This is certainly going to be the last season, same with Jessica Jones.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bluelouboyle - 01-11-2019

Fantastic trailer. Fight scenes look brutal.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - ryoken - 01-15-2019

You know what would be a perfect Punisher season?
A six episode adaptation of "The Slavers".
Mainly because that story is brutal, poignant and extremely important in this day and age...´plus, it would piss off A LOT of the alt right fans of the character.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-15-2019

(01-15-2019, 03:03 PM)ryoken Wrote: You know what would be a perfect Punisher season?
Mainly because that story is brutal, poignant and extremely important in this day and age...´plus, it would piss off A LOT of the alt right fans of the character.

Isn't that one about sex slavery? I know that alt right are bad but are they for sexual slavery now?

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bradito - 01-15-2019

If you're a RealDoll.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-15-2019

(01-15-2019, 04:26 PM)bradito Wrote: If you're a RealDoll.

When sex robots become a thing we are going to have this talk. I look forward to it.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - ryoken - 01-15-2019

(01-15-2019, 04:22 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:03 PM)ryoken Wrote: You know what would be a perfect Punisher season?

Isn't that one about sex slavery? I know that alt right are bad but are they for sexual slavery now?

Most of them are also MRAs and Incels.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Adam_72 - 01-15-2019

(12-31-2018, 03:28 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: This is certainly going to be the last season, same with Jessica Jones.

Personally, I would be fine with this Bernthal iteration ending. Previous season started with the Punisher getting his lunch messed around with by workplace bullies, and ended with him talking about his feelings at some kind of group therapy session. Showrunners don't have a fucking clue.

And Frank Castle's critique of modern fascists would be along the lines of "Give me the sixty." (although the awful neutered version of the character from this Netflix show would probably own them with some well timed zingers during a particularly spirited online debate).

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Alt-molt - 01-18-2019

First episode is pretty good. It does go to great pains to show the softer side of Frank but ultimately offers up a couple of brutal fight scenes.

Second episode succumbs to gear grinding.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bradito - 01-18-2019

Does Jigsaw look gnarly??

His face is covered two episodes in. From what I’ve seen his disfigurement is highly Disney-fied.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-18-2019

Well the first episode ends with a fantastic fight scene so im in so far.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - DerekM - 01-18-2019

Episode 2 also contains the best homage to Caddyshack II I've ever witnessed.

They do their riff on PRECINCT 13, with Castle as Napoleon, in the 3rd episode. Preferred when Banshee did their homage but I'll still put this one in the good pile.

The Jigsaw stuff in this one is real half-assed.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - the nz natural - 01-18-2019

Halfway through and I've already had several moments where I've thought to myself "Why don't I just rewatch Banshee?".

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-19-2019

Finished episode 3. Liking it more than last season. Hating Rachael though, im ok if she doesn't make it.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 01-20-2019

(01-15-2019, 06:40 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:28 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: This is certainly going to be the last season, same with Jessica Jones.

Personally, I would be fine with this Bernthal iteration ending. Previous season started with the Punisher getting his lunch messed around with by workplace bullies, and ended with him talking about his feelings at some kind of group therapy session. Showrunners don't have a fucking clue.

And Frank Castle's critique of modern fascists would be along the lines of "Give me the sixty." (although the awful neutered version of the character from this Netflix show would probably own them with some well timed zingers during a particularly spirited online debate).

This comment should be bronzed on a plaque.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-21-2019

He let the pedo guy live!? Man who is this Punisher?

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-21-2019

Man that cop was ready to let Daredevil kill Kingpin but he has a real problem with The Punisher going after "jigsaw". Because his mind is a jigsaw puzzle you see.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Alt-molt - 01-21-2019

Hats off to them for ramping up the violence this season. They came through on that front.

On the other hand, the supporting characters. Yikes. Agent Madani's scenes were somehow worse this season. Add Jigsaw's shrink into the mix and you've got a whole lot of "who cares?" going on. Jigsaw in general is never handled all that well. Feel like he'd fit in with society fine if he found a decent concealer.

John the religious nut guy grew on me as the season went on. The more he started to lose it the better his character wound up.

I'd be fine if somehow Bernthal can play the character again in some capacity after this is axed in a month or so.