The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - andronicus - 01-21-2019

I just started hitting ‘skip’ every time the psychiatrist showed up on screen...it didn’t diminish the narrative, for me, on iota.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - thecooleravian - 01-22-2019

In the first season, Frank trying to give Russo an ironic comeuppance/fate worse than death resulted in him surviving and going on to kill several people, so why not end the second season with him trying to give the villain an ironic comeuppance/fate worse than death?

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-22-2019

Just reading a interview with the creator and he really doesn't understand what people want from The Punisher. I mean I knew that already but man.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Stale Elvis - 01-24-2019

This season has really been struggling to hold my attention. The whole sub-plot with Medani and Billy and his shrink makes me tune out and those scenes seem to be about 80% of each episode’s runtime.

When the action does kick off it’s great. It’s brutal and visceral and Berthnal is a great presence on screen, but blimey the rest of it is dull as ditchwater.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-24-2019

Only 2 episodes left. For being an intelligent guy Billy sure dropped the ball on framing.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - farsight - 01-24-2019

SPOILERS

Yeah, that was the worst frame job in history. I get that you might figure that Castle would end up dead quickly enough for it not to matter... but your PLAN is for him to murder nearly your entire team?!? And then to be spraying bullets all around you for a while, but luckily he'll lose his ability to aim long enough for you to get away... That plan seemed like it had about a 1% chance of working.

So, that's probably a wrap on The Punisher... and I'm okay with it. The season started strong, with momentum and a fun action scene in each ep. Then the 13-episode Netflix/Marvel mandate reared its ugly head AGAIN, and the middle of the season turned into an unending slog of poe-faced navel-gazing while they ran down the clock. And yet the finale still felt rushed and ineffective.

Jigsaw was a mess. And not physically. Physically, it was hilarious how they played his light scarring as Elephant Man - level disfigurement... then he was able to walk the streets as a wanted mass-murderer without ever getting recognized.

I give them credit on the doctor - from her first appearance, I found her creepy and unsettling, so her dark turn felt natural. In a shorter season, it might have even been interesting instead of an unending diversion.

Madani sucks. So bad.

Learning Rachel/Amy was played by Shea Whigham's daughter probably made me root for her more than I should have.

And totally agreed that BANSHEE is heaps better in every single way.

The big twist of the season is that Karen has huge feet.

I think I'm glad the Netflix-Marvel deal is ending. Their current lineup indicates that Netflix can spend that money on far better and more interesting shows, while Marvel can spew as much mediocrity as they want on that Disney service I'll probably never bother with. It's a win-win!

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Alt-molt - 01-24-2019

Best part of the season was Frank bringing the thumb to that bar.

Worst part was realizing Frank was gonna be in the hospital for an episode and thus we'd get way too much of everybody else.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-24-2019

THAT GUY GOT TO LIVE? FUCK YOU!

And yet again we get The Punisher for about 1 minute at the end.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Stale Elvis - 01-24-2019

That very *very* last scene with Frank - *that* was the show I wanted to watch. Blimey what a waste of a season.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 01-25-2019

I have already given up two episodes in. They have a worse handle on Frank in season two than season one.

Should I skip ahead? Let it go and rewatch DD season two?

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - farsight - 01-25-2019

Banshee. Watch Banshee.

Or if you're looking for a more vigilante-esque tale, go with Person of Interest.

The first two episodes of Punisher S2 are -better- than what is to come. I was actually fairly positive on the show for about 6 eps. It gets much, much worse.

MORE SPOILERS

But I have to admit that laughed more than I have in a while when Doctor Afraid-of-Getting-Tossed-out-of-Windows got tossed out of a window. Then I nearly doubled over when the bad guy psycho walks up at that very moment with a bouquet of flowers. Then I thought about the level of attachment the writers thought they'd built up in those characters. And I laughed some more!

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 01-25-2019

Banshee is phenomenal.

I feel like the people making this show just do not get the character.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 01-25-2019

(01-25-2019, 03:17 AM)Overlord Wrote: Banshee is phenomenal.

I feel like the people making this show just do not get the character.

They don't at all according to the interview I read. They don't want to make a show that leans too hard into approving of what Frank is doing so we never see him fully be him for long. He said if he actually got a season 3 it would be about bringing Frank back from the brink and to the light. Also he would bring in The Kingpin. The second part sounds fun. This isn't going to get renewed but if it did please just cut it down to like 3 episodes. Could actually be fun then.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 01-30-2019

I skipped from midway through episode 5 of the Punisher to the final 10-15 minutes or so of the penultimate episode and then watched the finale. I honestly don't feel like I missed anything. I just assume therapist and Jigsaw spun their weird love story wheels for eight more hours, Frank moped about angsting it up and not being The Punisher, and bad guys drawled ominously during static discussions.

The fight in the first episode was my fave part of the show.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - kyle reese 2 - 01-30-2019

How many hours did Frank spend stalking Micro's wife this season?

(Didn't make it to the final episodes of S1 so far all I know, Micro and his wife and kids could have been vaporized in a gas explosion in the finale)

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - barry woodward - 02-18-2019

THE PUNISHER has been cancelled along with JESSICA JONES.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-punisher-jessica-jones-canceled-netflix-marvel-krysten-ritter-jon-bernthal-1202535835/

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - waaaaaaaalt - 02-18-2019

Im shocked.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Evi - 02-23-2019

Just finished the second season... ugh.

It's fun for exactly 5 episodes where they allow Frank to be himself with absolutely zero remorse But then it's back to the same old season 1 bullshit... Their exploration of his morality and "Who is the real monster u guyz???" By the end when it's simply one inexplicable choice after another (why doesn't Amy just give the photos for someone to print? Why is Mahoney always letting people get away with shooting at him? What the hell is even going on with Billy and his psychiatrist) I'd pretty much checked out. Ironically, the one element I expected to hate - Frank's relationship with Amy - was the thing I enjoyed the most.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - JMurdoch - 02-23-2019

I still haven't watched beyond the first episode.  Was going to watch the last one just for the heck of it.  Any episodes in between worth a watch?

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Evi - 02-23-2019

The fights never get better than in the opener. The third episode has an Assault on Precinct 13 type of standoff that's sort of enjoyable even if the execution is lacking. In general I'd say the first 5 or so episodes aren't bad but they're not really *good* either, more like middling episodes of Banshee.

The upside of not having seen past the first episode is that you haven't had to put up with the "Billy Russo has amnesia and why am I even watching him???" subplot

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 02-25-2019

(02-23-2019, 10:30 AM)Evi Wrote: The fights never get better than in the opener. The third episode has an Assault on Precinct 13 type of standoff that's sort of enjoyable even if the execution is lacking. In general I'd say the first 5 or so episodes aren't bad but they're not really *good* either, more like middling episodes of Banshee.

The upside of not having seen past the first episode is that you haven't had to put up with the "Billy Russo has amnesia and why am I even watching him???" subplot

You can watch the first three episodes then calmly skip to the finale, IMHO.  Just consider the helicopter ride to lead directly to the finale.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - fraid uh noman - 02-25-2019

Is this only on DVD? And where's The Defenders?

Fer fucks sake. You'd think they were The Abyss or True Lies..

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Overlord - 02-25-2019

(02-25-2019, 06:19 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Is this only on DVD? And where's The Defenders?

Fer fucks sake. You'd think they were The Abyss or True Lies..

The lack of The Abyss on blu-ray after all these years is just straight offensive at this point.

There HAS to be some sort of behind-the-scenes grudges involved.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Alt-molt - 02-25-2019

Mastrantonio would likely do commentaries for her Punisher episodes before she'd do one for THE ABYSS.

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - fraid uh noman - 02-25-2019

Everybody knows that the only people who want to watch those films have a behemoth tube TV and a DVD player that they bought in 1997 for a grand or so..

RE: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - bradito - 02-26-2019

The Screenplay Archaeology Podcast has a new episode about two unproduced drafts for "Punisher 2." The first script is a direct sequel to the 2004 film and the second is an early draft of what ultimately became "War Zone." In one of the scripts, there's a climactic battle in a Walmart that sounds bananas. This was pre-Equalizer, so a major setpiece in a big box store was an untapped well of mayhem.