The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- jstraw80 - 02-23-2017

AI doubt this makes a series

- jmacq1 - 02-24-2017

A[quote name="jstraw80" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/30#post_4238384"]I doubt this makes a series[/quote]Uh...you mean they're going to finish the production they've already undertaken (including filming) and then just not release it or something?

- jstraw80 - 02-25-2017

I heard the production stopped, but i hope you are right.

- jmacq1 - 02-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw80 View Post

I heard the production stopped, but i hope you are right.

Where?  There's not a peep about it online, and most of the hits when you search talk about the casting and how they started filming in October of last year.  So maybe you're thinking of them wrapping principal photography.

Marvel putting the brakes on the Punisher would have been big news in the trades, and on this site.

- MrSaxon - 02-26-2017

Yeah, I can't find that anywhere online either. The series still seems set to debut late next year and that release date is only because Netflix added the series 'at the last minute' (due to how popular the character was in season 2 of Daredevil) and has had to schedule it around The Defenders and then the follow-up seasons of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

- jacknifejohnny - 03-25-2017

AII just read that the character of William Rawlins, a recurring antagonist* in Ennis' Punisher MAX series, is a character on the show and that his "operations in Afghanistan intersect with Frank". I'm not going to get too excited because only in my moistest dreams could they possibly do those stories justice. This does seem to strongly imply that we'll be getting Kathryn O'Brien, but again, this could be like the Thomas Jane film and Punisher: War Zone where a bunch of shitty characters have the same names as awesome ones from Ennis' run.

*For those unfamiliar, being a "recurring villain" in the MAX series generally meant that you were lucky enough to survive one direct encounter with the Punisher to show up for another, less fortuitous direct encounter in an arc somewhere down the line. That's something else I loved about Ennis' run: No one ever really overstayed their welcome.

- slim - 03-25-2017

AThe show would be the hardest thing on Netflix if they appoximated just half the bugfuck brutality of the MAX series.

Yeah, here's hoping they stay a little true to Ennis and Rawlins means O'Brien as well. And if they're doing recurring villains, maybe we'll get us some Barracuda eventually.

- ryoken - 03-26-2017

A[quote name="Slim" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix#post_4258255"]The show would be the hardest thing on Netflix if they appoximated just half the bugfuck brutality of the MAX series.

Yeah, here's hoping they stay a little true to Ennis and Rawlins means O'Brien as well. And if they're doing recurring villains, maybe we'll get us some Barracuda eventually.[/quote]

They would be absolute idiots and cowards if they didn't adapt The Slavers; probably the arc with the most weight and social significance of the MAX run these days.
But I can see the risk it would mean, at least PR wise

- jacknifejohnny - 03-26-2017

Oh, yes...

The bit in either the penultimate or final issue of this story with the Punisher and the woman who helps run the ring is something that would not have flown at all in years past for this character, but Ennis went there with him. Even if they do adapt The Slavers, there's no way that scene makes it in.

- slim - 03-26-2017

APlate glass window? Yeah, no way.

- huntertarantino - 03-26-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

They would be absolute idiots and cowards if they didn't adapt The Slavers; probably the arc with the most weight and social significance of the MAX run these days.
But I can see the risk it would mean, at least PR wise

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Oh, yes...

The bit in either the penultimate or final issue of this story with the Punisher and the woman who helps run the ring is something that would not have flown at all in years past for this character, but Ennis went there with him. Even if they do adapt The Slavers, there's no way that scene makes it in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim View Post

Plate glass window? Yeah, no way.

God, The Slavers is powerful and devastating in every way that the basic idea of the Punisher to many isn't. They push it past a place where the bad guys are just the villains. He's in league with utter evil. They're the rare Punisher targets who deserve what's coming to them.

My reservation is that in terms of adaptation, The Equalizer was essentially a Hollywood interpretation of that story with Denzel as The Punisher, but any of that batch of Eurotrash had nothing on the people there.

And when he finally gets his hands on that old guy at the top? Hot damn. No pun intended.

- the nz natural - 03-26-2017

Quote:

Which, for lack of a better word, is a shame.  Because that scene plays out in the comic so cinematically that it could well just serve as the storyboard for the episode.  Film it exactly like that and I bet people would be buzzing over how they've never seen anything like it.

- JMurdoch - 03-26-2017

AWhile the kills in "The Slavers" are extreme, there's another storyline where Frank goes after an Enron like group of capitalists and feeds them to sharks. I thought that was maybe a bit too much. Slavers get the full Punisher treatment no doubt. Greedy assholes maybe don't deserve death.

- jacknifejohnny - 03-26-2017

A]I don't remember him doing a whole lot to those people, like he wasn't after them b/c of any white collar shenanigans. If I recall correctly (It's been a while), Frank took out some scumbags connected to a CEO character who turned around and hired Barracuda to deal with the issue. A lot of those characters died at the end, but I seem to remember it being incidental to the fight between the Punisher and Barracuda.

The stuff he gets up to in BORN, specifically the fragging incident, struck me as a much more extreme recalibration of his character.

- huntertarantino - 03-27-2017

Quote:

]I don't remember him doing a whole lot to those people, like he wasn't after them b/c of any white collar shenanigans. If I recall correctly (It's been a while), Frank took out some scumbags connected to a CEO character who turned around and hired Barracuda to deal with the issue. A lot of those characters died at the end, but I seem to remember it being incidental to the fight between the Punisher and Barracuda.

The stuff he gets up to in BORN, specifically the fragging incident, struck me as a much more extreme recalibration of his character.

Right. The Punisher gets led to a Jordan Belfort-esque guy who hires Barracuda to take out The Punisher, not realizing he'd be double-crossed by Barracuda and put in the shitter by both guys... and Frank leaves Barracuda with the shark.

The Slavers and Up is Down, Black is White are my favorite arcs from the run. Widowmakers and Man of Stone go to some dark places too.

- JMurdoch - 03-27-2017

AMan of Stone would be a good one to adapt.

- huntertarantino - 03-27-2017

Like Rene said once on the boards, it's basically Rambo III, but better and with the Punisher.

They could never do Man of Stone, let alone Mother Russia, on the scope or budget of a Netflix show, between location filming and the importance of Nick Fury to both stories.

All said and done, I'd kill to see Jon Bernthal playing off a Logan-ized Sam Jackson Fury.

- Codename - 07-14-2017

Fuck The Defenders. THIS is what I want.

- MrSaxon - 07-14-2017

I like that a lot.

- bradito - 07-14-2017

AIs... is that blood on his shirt/face?

- Codename - 07-14-2017

Worse...it's Tobasco Sauce! *

* Because Blood turns brown after being exposed to oxygen.

- headless fett - 07-14-2017

Oh how I wish Lexi Alexander was involved with this.

- bradito - 07-14-2017

ACan anyone top parkour guy vs. grenade launcher? No, they cannot.

- smugbug - 07-14-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

* Because Blood turns brown after being exposed to oxygen. 

Do ya think comics/movies actually worry about this?

- bradito - 07-14-2017

AI've been bleeding wrong all this time.

- smugbug - 07-14-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I've been bleeding wrong all this time.

My blood doesn't turn brown once exposed to oxygen.  I think I've been bleeding wrong too.

- Codename - 07-15-2017

I...might need medical attention.

- bradito - 07-15-2017

AMudblood!

- huntertarantino - 07-15-2017

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/30#post_4323083"]Can anyone top parkour guy vs. grenade launcher? No, they cannot.[/quote]

There's competition from the guy who The Punisher shoots the face off of in front of the FBI, the guy getting his face punched in, and for dramatic effect, Castle going all Benicio del Toro in Sicario on Clancy Brown, not to mention numerous occasions of insanity in the comics (especially the ones in The Slavers).

But honestly? I don't think anything tops that idiot doing parkour, completely oblivious that he's about to be done in by the Jason Voorhees of arms-bearing vigilantes with a scoped grenade launcher.

- MrSaxon - 07-15-2017

Talking of Punisher: War Zone, I know that Billy Russo is a main character in this. Now, do we think he'll get Jigsawed half-way through the season and do the usual Netflix thing of having a second villain crop up in the latter half of the season.... or do you think they'll save that for the end, so that he becomes a second season villain?

- hp pufncraft - 07-15-2017

AI'm thinking they'll set up Jigsaw as the villain for the end of the season. Hopefully we'll get Barracuda in season 2.

- Felix - 08-18-2017

Teaser just came out.

- MrSaxon - 08-18-2017

I'm really up for this. I just hope they do a great job with it.

- huntertarantino - 08-18-2017

ABernthal talks so much like Stallone that I half expected a shot of him wearing aviators and chewing a match.

This is a good start to the day.

- ryoken - 08-18-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Bernthal talks so much like Stallone that I half expected a shot of him wearing aviators and chewing a match.

This is a good start to the day.

I cant be only one that would love a "Punisher MAX" series with Stallone playing Vietnam vet, aged Frank Castle?