The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- ska oreo - 10-19-2017

ANooooo. You guys...this was supposed to be good.

Sad

- bradito - 10-19-2017

A"I haven't seen this yet, but I'm still going to just make up reasons not to like it."

-you guys

- moltisanti - 10-19-2017

Also read he fires rubber bullets only.

- jmacq1 - 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Also read he fires rubber bullets only.

If you're being serious, I suspect that's a misrepresentation/exaggeration.  I wouldn't be surprised if he uses rubber bullets against law enforcement/military at some point/for one scene (as he has occasionally done in the comics), but I highly doubt he uses them throughout the series.

- superlaser - 10-19-2017

A[quote name="Jmacq1" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/150_50#post_4386747"]

If you're being serious, I suspect that's a misrepresentation/exaggeration.  I wouldn't be surprised if he uses rubber bullets against law enforcement/military at some point/for one scene (as he has occasionally done in the comics), but I highly doubt he uses them throughout the series.
[/quote]
Or there’s a scene with some other plot-based reason for him to go non-lethal, like needing to take a captive alive.

- the nz natural - 10-19-2017

I don't think that scene from the first trailer has him hitting that guy with two rubber bullets to the chest and one to the head.

- bigbrother - 11-13-2017

Some good reviews so far. The Washington Post says it is the best Neflix Marvel show so far. We'll see.

- Codename - 11-13-2017

My hype levels have been high ever since I found out Steve Lightfoot was showrunning.

Cannot fucking wait.

- MrSaxon - 11-13-2017

As a long-time fan of The Punisher, these reviews make me very happy indeed.

- slim - 11-13-2017

AHaha... The preview line of Saxon's post only showed "As a long-time fan of fan of the Punisher, these reviews make me very..."

And I'm punching the link with my heart in my throat. Very what?! Are the reviews bad?! They're bad, aren't they?! Goddamn it all to hell!

So, y'know, that's a relief.

- bluelouboyle - 11-13-2017

ASepinwall didn't like it, partly due to his feelings about the recent gun massacres. Occasional bursts of unpleasant violence in the middle of dull exposition.

- slim - 11-13-2017

ANegativity because guns I've fully expected. That's down to an individual's ability to compartmentalize when watching movies/TV, and that's never a problem for me. Reading that this series may share the problems we've all pointed out with the Marvel/Netflix shows-- length and pacing-- is way more bothersome. It's like these guys never learn from their mistakes.

If I've been reading right, this will be the last of the Marvel shows released by Netflix. Too bad I don't think that'll make a difference creatively, because the problems are likely on Marvel's end.

Still have high hopes for this though. If it's at least better than the last 2 1/2 seasons of TV they put out, that's a win.

- huntertarantino - 11-13-2017

ANetflix is still putting out their stuff next year.

- slim - 11-13-2017

AWell, that does make more sense, because I know there are additional seasons in various stages of production... I read that this was it at Forbes. Fake news I guess.

- syd - 11-13-2017

No one wants this series to be good as much as I do. I gobbled up Ennis' MAX Punisher series back in the day. Ennis, now THERE was a guy who knew how to make the Punisher entertaining. He knew the secret: Frank Castle is Jason and the mob boss antagonists are Crystal Lake campers.

A good Punisher story isn't "How's Frank gonna get out of this one?"

A good Punisher story is "How the fuck are these mob guys gonna survive the night?"

A Punisher series lives and dies based on it's antagonists. Are they over the top entertainingly scenery chewing evil enough that we feel absolutely no guilt when Frank guns them down? Are they desperately trying to avoid being murdered by an unstoppable killing machine thus making us feel kind of bad for them even though they murdered innocents?

I...don't see this series doing that. I don't see this series embracing over the top villains. I don't see this series busting out a great villain like Barracuda or henchmen like Ink and Pittsy. The only thing I see this series doing is bland villains who exist to be shot at.

And Godamn, are we REALLY going to make this first season ALL about "WHO KILLED MY FAMBLY!??!!!?" I thought that whole stupid Blacksmith subplot in DAREDEVIL was to get that shit out of the WAY so we can skip to the part that makes Frank THE PUNISHER and not THE REVENGER.

So hey, maybe it'll be good...or maybe it'll be bland, boring villains who we don't even feel enough hatred for to cheer when Frank shoots them.

And God forbid we have a goofy detective like Soap pursuing Frank. Throw in Generic Law Enforcement Officer On Mission #234 I guess, because comedy has no place in a Punisher series. It must be grim and gritty and serious for all the...cops and soldiers who...look up to a...mass murderer?

Hey, did you guys know there are cops who have THE PUNISHER logo on the cars? Fun! Because if there's one thing I want a cop to do, its fantasize about taking a flamethrower to criminals. Christ we're fucked.

- atomtastic - 11-13-2017

The think pieces for this are going to be exhausting.

- Codename - 11-13-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomTastic View Post

The think pieces for this are going to be exhausting.

Only if you bother reading them.

- farsight - 11-13-2017

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-punisher-review-1057289

Quote:

Far better than 'Iron Fist,' Marvel's latest Netflix stand-alone is a tight, brutal six-episode story of revenge

Well...

Quote:

stretched exhaustingly and inexcusably over 13 hours

Shit.

- d.t. - 11-13-2017

Maybe Punisher is like Hulk, in that he's not enough to sustain his own media outside of comics. I find solo Hulk movies boring; I fucking LOVE him in the MCU films.

I liked Castle in Daredevil... but as it's been said, they already have no idea what to do with him, so they're going back to a storyline that was already wrapped up in a few Daredevil episodes and didn't need anything else for it to work.

- bradito - 11-13-2017

AOoh, I think Jigsaw will show up.

- superlaser - 11-13-2017

A[quote name="Farsight" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/150_50#post_4403198"]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-punisher-review-1057289

Well...

Shit.
[/quote]
Isn’t that true of every Marvel Netflix series though? Six episodes of a good story stretched to thirteen for no apparent reason?
The only exceptions would be Defenders, which was four episodes stretched into eight, and Iron Fist, which probably had enough material to cover a two parter at best.
It should be expected at this point.

- moltisanti - 11-13-2017

Are the reviews stating that the whole "military angle" is the main storyline for the entire season? That's brutal if so.

- syd - 11-13-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Are the reviews stating that the whole "military angle" is the main storyline for the entire season? That's brutal if so.

Yeah, where's the fun variety of racially insensitive categorized gangs? The Eastern European slave traders episode, the White Collar Criminals episode, the Russian...well, just the Russian. Or Man of Stone. Which would REALLY work today...

Mostly I'm sad we won't see such great ideas like WIDOWMAKER, when the widows of the mob bosses Frank has killed join forces to take him down.

Instead...covert military villains I guess, which are formidable foes, and its nice to include Rawlins, a fun character who...probably won't be all that fun?

They won't resist using Jigsaw..but this is MARVEL NETFLIX. He'll be a handsome henchman who gets injured in the last episode.

Which still might work...

I can see why in these times they don't want him doing much in the way of raiding crackhouses, but there is so much more they can do than just the whole private military contractor direction. Nobody would raise a fuss if he's killing mobsters (Italian or Russian). Same goes for drug cartels, paramilitary militias, or sex traffickers. So many directions they can go to offer up mass carnage. Will be disappointed if this first season doesn't tap into those resources.

- syd - 11-13-2017

Will be disappointed if this season doesn't feature fun villains who backstab each other trying to find a way not to be killed by the Punisher.

AI’d do terrible things for a version to feature Terry Crews as Barracuda.

- farsight - 11-13-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by superlaser View Post

Isn’t that true of every Marvel Netflix series though? Six episodes of a good story stretched to thirteen for no apparent reason?

Yeah, it's not surprising, but it's still disappointing that they can't find writers worth a damn.

I keep hoping Netflix is going to make the leap from churning out tons of mediocre content to being a service that -demands- my attention and money, and they continue to find ways to take good ideas and turn them into either artistic or financial failures.

AMindhunter and GLOW are worthwhile.

- andronicus - 11-13-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

I’d do terrible things for a version to feature Terry Crews as Barracuda.

I love the casting idea but isn't Barracuda really, really over top?  or maybe that was just in his short run solo comic?  I can't remember, it's been a long time since I've read anything the character was in.

- subotai - 11-13-2017

Ennis has all these great stories, and between this and Preacher it looks like they will continue to be ignored.

- subotai - 11-13-2017

On a side note, I love Bernthal, but I still think they screwed the pooch by not casting Dolph.  They could use a guy with a little more mileage on him in this wacky Marvel Netflix world.

Grillo was my first choice when this was announced. I know some people couldn't deal with that because he's already Crossbones but who really gives a fig? They're actors.

Bernthal was top-notch on DD so I'm hoping he's enough to keep this series engaging, almost every other aspect I'm reading so far gives me pause for concern.

But I really do want to watch it though!

- farsight - 11-13-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Mindhunter and GLOW are worthwhile.

They are. GLOW isn't exactly in my wheelhouse, but it's very well done so far. Mindhunter is quite good... but missing... something to make it essential.

The Last Kingdom (not originally a Netflix property) is excellent. And Sense8 was their best effort, killed by giving it a budget no TV show outside of Game of Thrones could hope to recoup.

Very little of Netflix' lineup is genuinely bad (13 Reasons Why and The OA stand out, the latter perhaps the worst show I've ever been tricked into watching by -seeming- good for a while). Most of is like Ozark or their Marvel shows: solid fare that's entertaining enough, but never worth mentioning much after you've seen it.

Most services have a show or two that I -know- when it comes out next. Netflix has a bunch of shows that I may as well watch since I'm paying for the month anyway...

- Neil Spurn - 11-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post

Very little of Netflix' lineup is genuinely bad (13 Reasons Why and The OA stand out, the latter perhaps the worst show I've ever been tricked into watching by -seeming- good for a while). Most of is like Ozark or their Marvel shows: solid fare that's entertaining enough, but never worth mentioning much after you've seen it.

Most services have a show or two that I -know- when it comes out next. Netflix has a bunch of shows that I may as well watch since I'm paying for the month anyway...

Um...

- superlaser - 11-13-2017

AAll of those, plus Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. The new Voltron cartoon is also quite good.