The Trouble City Forums
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Sports, Games, and Leisure (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Television (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX) (/showthread.php?tid=155441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- farsight - 11-13-2017

I do like three of those. None of them force me to watch them immediately.

I actually just started a thread to see what shows meet that criteria for other people. For me, it's 12 shows, of which Netflix has 2. Not bad... except one is canceled and the other isn't their creation.

- huntertarantino - 11-13-2017

BoJack Horseman is the best animated show on TV and Netflix's continued support of the show warms my heart.

- ska oreo - 11-14-2017

So to those worried about the conspiracy aspect of the show being the most focused aspect of the show....sorry.

From IGN:

Quote:

And The Punisher is certainly about a lone gunman — but in its first six episodes it’s much more about America’s intelligence ecosystem in the era of the War on Terror, and the lives of soldiers once they return to our shores. What I remember most from those episodes isn’t the blowout fights or the car chases, it’s the spycraft and intrigue of trained intelligence professionals who can’t afford to trust anyone figuring out how to work together toward common goals, and the clever positioning of Frank Castle and a government agent as opposing figures investigating the same corruption.

Nothing here that suggests this will be terrible, and yeah Ennis definitely hit on some of this stuff in his run on the character, but I don't think we're getting Punisher Max any time soon.

- superlaser - 11-14-2017

A[quote name="Ska Oreo" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/200_50#post_4403636"]So to those worried about the conspiracy aspect of the show being the most focused aspect of the show....sorry.

From IGN:
Nothing here that suggests this will be terrible, and yeah Ennis definitely hit on some of this stuff in his run on the character, but I don't think we're getting Punisher Max any time soon.
[/quote]
That might be for the best on the first go-around though. I don’t think the timing/climate could have been much worse for a popular Punisher MAX adaptation right now.

- jmacq1 - 11-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlaser View Post

That might be for the best on the first go-around though. I don’t think the timing/climate could have been much worse for a popular Punisher MAX adaptation right now.

I imagine that much like everything Marvel has done in TV and movies over the past decade or so, we'll get echoes of the MAX run in various ways.  This season sounds like it may well rope in bits of "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" and possibly even a touch of "Born."  Maybe next season we get elements of other MAX tales, but I doubt we're ever going to get a full-on season of only MAX adaptation(s).

On the other hand, I doubt we're going to get much of the more black comedy non-MAX Ennis stuff, either (Ma Gnucci and Sons, The Russian, etc...).  I think overall it'll basically be "MAX-lite."  Because yeah...MAX is brutal even for Netflix.

- farsight - 11-14-2017

I know they label their Marvel shows TV-MA, but I get a pretty PG-13 vibe off of them.

I'll be surprised if this Punisher is in the same league as War Zone.

- huntertarantino - 11-14-2017

Basically Up is Down, Black is White without the mobsters? Uh... okay.

I hope they keep Rawlins around long enough for Season 2 to have him carrying his balls around in a paper cup.

- ryoken - 11-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Basically Up is Down, Black is White without the mobsters? Uh... okay.

I hope they keep Rawlins around long enough for Season 2 to have him carrying his balls around in a paper cup.

That wasnt Rawlins, that was Roth, o'Brien's fellow CIA agent.

Rawlins gets an eye gouged, then meets his end in a messy Afganistan airport bathroom.

And I'll say it again and again:

Ennis first Punisher MAX series, with Castle as an aging Vietnam vet?

Stallone. And Grillo for Born/Flashbacks. Accept no substitutes.

- huntertarantino - 11-14-2017

ABernthal as young Castle. He’s been channeling Stallone in the part from the beginning.

- ryoken - 11-15-2017

Quote:

Bernthal as young Castle. He’s been channeling Stallone in the part from the beginning.

Fine.

as long as I get my "If you think payback is a bitch...you havent meet Frank Castle" and watching old Stallone do horrible, brutal things to sexual slavers.*

And holy shit, would seeing Morgan Freeman and Stallone in a Valley Forge, Valley Forge finale be top botch television.

*When it comes to sexual slavery, I support the "Dont Come back here" approach.

- huntertarantino - 11-15-2017

AIt’s inescapable imagining Stallone’s voice for most of that initial MAX run. I maintain that he is the only actor that should ever play an old, pissed off Punisher.

Hell, Rambo starts saying shit that Ennis would write for Castle in the last movie.

“When you’re pushed... killin’s as easy as breathin’.”

- ryoken - 11-15-2017

Quote:

It’s inescapable imagining Stallone’s voice for most of that initial MAX run. I maintain that he is the only actor that should ever play an old, pissed off Punisher.

Hell, Rambo starts saying shit that Ennis would write for Castle in the last movie.

“When you’re pushed... killin’s as easy as breathin’.”

Exactly.

To me, Ennis's older, realistic Punisher is essentially Rambo, only without the PTSD and Vietnam vet baggage, replaced by his inherent battle lust and the trauma of the loss of his family, who were hyis last and only link to his humanity and goodness.

God, what i would give to see the original Punisher MAX run as a series with Stallone as Frank Castle; I think he would give the performance of his life in it.

Also, Ive always pictured Tom Berenger as Ennis's Nick Fury, for some reason.

Also, despite Netflix's rating freedom, I doubt they will dare adapt The Slavers, Mother Russia, Up is Down/Black is White and the MAX run with the same mature, adult and violent style of the comics.*

*And goddamn if Valley Forge isnt perfect for these political times. The Bill Torrance interview is heartbreaking.

- dr syn - 11-17-2017

It has begun

- syd - 11-17-2017

Someone let me know if this is fun or has too many supporting characters who's only purpose is to pad out runtimes.

- MrSaxon - 11-17-2017

EPISODE ONE

Really solid start to the season. Sure, it's a bit a slow and takes its time to set up Frank's new life, but I like that and the pay-off is worth it. Probably one of the better Netflix / Marvel opening episodes, in my opinion. Jon Bernthal continues to be absolutely captivating, and a masterstroke of casting. Really like the new additions to the cast, particularly Amber Rose Revah's Agent Madani.

Now to get spoilery:

* Some are probably going to have issues with Frank 'killing' his Punisher persona in the opening scenes of the episode. It doesn't bother me too much because, as the ending demonstrates, he's still out there punishing people with extreme violence. I'm happy to wait for the return of the skull. 

* Bernthal's performance tells me everything I need to know about Frank's mental state. I don't really need the cliched angsty dream sequences.

* The focus on discarded veterans is an interesting one. I look forward to seeing this explored as the season goes forward.

* Shohreh Aghdashloo! I didn't realize she was in this, but she's always a welcome sight.

* That robbery scene was really well-filmed. Incredibly tense.

* The final action scenes are great. We've been waiting for Frank to make use of that hammer for most of the episode and it doesn't disappoint when he finally unleashes it. It's satisfying to see how brutal the action is.

* "Welcome back, Frank."

- moltisanti - 11-17-2017

Good opener.

Feel like the Agent Madani scenes is the show begging me to start fiddling around with my phone.

- JMurdoch - 11-17-2017

AI really enjoyed the opener. Glad to see the the series making use of its New York setting. Although I did like the Juarez/El Paso gag.

- syd - 11-17-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Good opener.

Feel like the Agent Madani scenes is the show begging me to start fiddling around with my phone.

Ugh...we could've had Soap and Molly Von Richtenstien...

- JMurdoch - 11-17-2017

AYeah, the series really dropped the Soap.

- MrSaxon - 11-17-2017

EPISODE TWO

Very much a table-setting episode. Hopefully there aren't too many of these in the season but it's probably better to get it out of the way earlier than later. Everything with Frank continues to be pretty great but I'm not too sold on this revised Billy Russo. It feels like the Netflx / Marvel universe already has far too many bad guys in suits who sit around in plush offices. Would have been nice to get some proper gangsters up in here. Also: Is it me or is Ben Barnes channelling Tom Cruise in this role?

* I wonder if we'll get a flashback later to Russo's "best day of my life"? 

* Another good fight scene. Setting it to Dean Martin's "Ain't That A Kick In The Head" is probably a bit too on the nose for my tastes, though.

* I'm glad Wolf getting hold of the gun was a ruse by Frank or it would have made the later man look incredibly inept.

* I like Frank's look at the end, which seems to say 'Did I just knock this wimp out with one punch?!"

From the opener, you can tell somebody is fond of the poker game robbery from season 3 of The Sopranos.

- MrSaxon - 11-17-2017

EPISODE THREE

The pace of this show is starting to concern me. I don't mind a slow-moving show if the main story is still progressing, but there doesn't seem to be much momentum here. It certainly doesn't help when most of this particular episode is focused on things which have already happened. I'm not interested in Frank and Billy's friendship because I already know how this turns out, and I'm not going to be surprised when some of the people he's working for turn out to be evil because the show has already shown us this. 

The best parts of this episode are most definitely the scenes between Frank and Microchip. Moss-Bachrach is pretty good in the role and has good chemistry with Bernthal. Did we need an entire episode devoted to the two beginning to trust one another? Maybe not, but it's still better than everything else in this episode.

- Codename - 11-17-2017

Watched the first episode.

So far this is RIGHT up my alley! That was fucking great.

Murderboner...engage.

- Evi - 11-17-2017

Three episodes in and I'm enjoying this a lot, Bernthal is killing it and I'm digging how few ties there are to the greater universe (was not a fan of Karen's cameo). I'm not sure what's supposed to be up with Russo, though. Are we supposed to believe he's a good guy? Because the moment I saw him I thought "and here's the villain"... Having him turn out to actually be good would constitute a twist for me at this point.

- bradito - 11-17-2017

ANo one tell Evi that Billy Russo is Jigsaw's real name.

- MrSaxon - 11-17-2017

* Starts whistling 'Hello Zepp' *

- Evi - 11-17-2017

Glad my villain-dar is on point.

- Evi - 11-17-2017

It'll never happen but I seriously hope they off Stein and Madani soon. It's like someone high up went "Ok, whenever the show gets too good, make sure to cut away to the most boring subplot imaginable."

They should have just let C. Thomas Howell be the main agent "B-story" type person. He was a pretty good jerk in the opener, doubt he does much aside from that.

- kyle reese - 11-17-2017

AThis FBI agent subplot is terrrrbible. "I believe in the system!".

It's okay, but very TV so far.

Edit: 2nd episode was really bad. I think I'm all set for now. I'll check back in if other folks here can confirm the rest of it is less floofy.

Why oh why did they think this needed 13 episodes...

- atomtastic - 11-17-2017

These fucking shows. Marvel Netflix has perfected the art of having nothing happen for an hour.

- syd - 11-17-2017

Okay, that first episode was fun. Bearded Frank pushed too far was lovely. And I'll accept schlubby sarcastic FBI guy as replacement Soap.

I even like how the flashbacks aren't "happy good fun time memories" but things Frank regrets as a father and husband. Shane plays it so well.

Gnucci name drop? "Welcome back, Frank"? Okay okay....I was a grumpy gus before but it doesn't take much to make me happy...

- avian - 11-17-2017

- d.t. - 11-18-2017

AI only just got through the opening credits, and I hate this. Castle sadly playing guitar on a mattress in an empty bedroom? A fucking country rock song as the theme?

Is Kurt Sutter the show runner on this? It's going to have to earn a lot from me just to break even and it hasn't even started...

- cylon baby - 11-18-2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I only just got through the opening credits, and I hate this. Castle sadly playing guitar on a mattress in an empty bedroom? A fucking country rock song as the theme?

Is Kurt Sutter the show runner on this? It's going to have to earn a lot from me just to break even and it hasn't even started...

UR wrong keep watching.