The Trouble City Forums
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=162105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-18-2020

I'm going for White in the movie, not in Ellroy! Big Grin

Although it's funny you say that, atom, because my original idea was going to be loosely based off an idea Hanson and Crowe had for a sequel, which was basically Bud White as a kind of paunchy, middle-aged sheriff in an Arizona border town in the late 1960s/1970s. But I wanted to try to stick to at least some of the spirit of the game and cast characters in the mold in which they were created.

Quote:Boone, that is hilarious. After picking Traven I saw Arjen pick Batman, and I thought "why did I just limit myself to cops?" I have been a huge fan of Devil in a Blue Dress since it came out, and I always wanted a sequel. My next thought was, who would make a good pairing with Easy, and I immediately thought of Crowe as Bud White. It's like you read my fucking mind (or I read yours.)

I was the reverse - I wanted White, and I cycled through a number of different ideas (including classic noir guys) before landing on Rawlins.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - bailey - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:01 PM)atomtastic Wrote: My pick of Ed Exley ten years after L.A. Confidential  as the chief of police is the better Ellroy choice!

Will anyone have the courage to round out the trio?

I don't know who you're possibly referring to. Rolo Tomasi?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - bailey - 05-18-2020

double.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-18-2020

I had Ed Exley on my short list for Police Chief too. It's a cool pick.

Don't know if he'd be ideal with Batman, though.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:07 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I'm going for White in the movie, not in Ellroy! Big Grin

Although it's funny you say that, atom, because my original idea was going to be loosely based off an idea Hanson and Crowe had for a sequel, which was basically Bud White as a kind of paunchy, middle-aged sheriff in an Arizona border town in the late 1960s/1970s. But I wanted to try to stick to at least some of the spirit of the game and cast characters in the mold in which they were created.
That would have been very cool. I like doing the Alan Moore LXG thing for this where you project the future for the character, or see them before they're fully formed.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-18-2020

I mean, Bud is in some rough shape when L.A. Confidential the movie ends, and there's a few years between when DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS starts and when LA CON starts, so who knows when mine will be set? Big Grin

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-18-2020

Hey, today is Chow Yun-fat's birthday! Happy birthday Tequila!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:30 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Hey, today is Chow Yun-fat's birthday! Happy birthday Tequila!

[Image: SoreRemorsefulDodobird-size_restricted.gif]

How in the hell did I blank on (Mad) Max Rockitansky? Damn.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - simbob - 05-18-2020

Forgot he was a cop in the first movie?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:52 PM)simbob Wrote: Forgot he was a cop in the first movie?

That and just in general.  Completely blanked on him.  He's a great choice.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-18-2020

Somebody went with the Tom Hardy interpretation of Max over the Mad Mel Max? Different Strokes, I guess.

(05-18-2020, 02:55 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Somebody went with the Tom Hardy interpretation of Max over the Mad Mel Max? Different Strokes, I guess.

I'm with you on this one, but it's the character of Max in general that's being cast.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-18-2020

Simbob made me call an audible, but I think I'm still good.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Dent6084 - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 02:57 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 02:55 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Somebody went with the Tom Hardy interpretation of Max over the Mad Mel Max? Different Strokes, I guess.

I'm with you on this one, but it's the character of Max in general that's being cast.

As the one casting Max, I can confirm this is the case. That was just the image I grabbed.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-18-2020

Props on Frank Drebin. He was on my list too.

I wasn't planning on taking Hans Gruber as my bad guy as, in all honesty, I figured he'd be taken by the time that my second slot came up. Getting him has adjusted my draft trajectory a tad.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-18-2020

Did Bailey just go double Keanu? 'Get me two!' I dig it.

(05-18-2020, 03:04 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Did Bailey just go double Keanu? 'Get me two!' I dig it.

Yep, he sure did.  I was eyeing something similar with another actor and two of his characters but Traven and Utah together is much more fun.

I don't know if I should use Lee J. Cobb Kinderman or George C. Scott Kinderman.

Ah, I was definitely considering a Batman/Dale Cooper team up.

Quick couple of Q's: can the 'no one likes' or 'comic relief' be like a witness or something? Not a Cop per say, but someone they have to work with. And can a draft pick be a group or more than one person that are linked as characters? Like say you wanna make Amos & Andy your villain, could u?

(05-18-2020, 03:39 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Quick couple of Q's: can the 'no one likes' or 'comic relief' be like a witness or something? Not a Cop per say, but someone they have to work with. And can a draft pick be a group or more than one person that are linked as characters? Like say you wanna make Amos & Andy your villain, could u?

There can be wiggle room on the 'no one likes' character.  Just make it work.

Amos & Andy would be two separate draft selections.  Sorry!

Just trying to pin this down as I ponder my next step: what about an organization as villain? Like could u pick the Mickey Mouse Club? If u were drafting the Menendez brothers, you'd have to single out one specifically?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-18-2020

Not the final word, but I think the spirit of the draft is to pick a person rather than a nebulous group. You could take the leader of the group and for all intents and purposes have the group.

A lot of the names I expected to go in the first round went. Not that that makes them bad choices, but we usually have a few slip through the cracks.

(05-18-2020, 03:45 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Just trying to pin this down as I ponder my next step: what about an organization as villain? Like could u pick the Mickey Mouse Club? If u were drafting the Menendez brothers, you'd have to single out one specifically?

The villain is an individual.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-18-2020

Lots of fun picks today, especially the Keanu team up.

Are we doing just one bonus pick or two?

One more clarification point: Since I drafted Dirty Harry, to be clear, that means I can't draft another character from the sequels? Like Arjen drafted Batman, does that mean no other character that ever interacted with Bats - comics, movies, TV- can be picked by him? Atom grabbed Ed Exley, so for him no character from Ellroy's LA Quartet? I was thinking in a film specific way going into this, I guess that's why I assumed we were drafting direct interpretations/ performances.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 08:55 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: One more clarification point: Since I drafted Dirty Harry, to be clear, that means I can't draft another character from the sequels? Like Arjen drafted Batman, does that mean no other character that ever interacted with Bats - comics, movies, TV- can be picked by him? Atom grabbed Ed Exley, so for him no character from Ellroy's LA Quartet? I was thinking in a film specific way going into this, I guess that's why I assumed we were drafting direct interpretations/ performances.

"The only real rule is that every character must come from a different source; you can't draft two (or more) characters from the same movie or television show."

I'd say that rule would apply to film series as well. Besides, it wouldn't be fun creating our own movie if we were just using characters from one source.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Pither - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 03:26 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Ah, I was definitely considering a Batman/Dale Cooper team up.

Now I'm kind of sorry I prevented that from happening.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-19-2020

Point of order:

If we know we want a specific character as a love interest but we're not sure which of our two cops to pair them with yet, is it okay to cast them as "Love Interest #1 or #2" and then decide later? Or do we have to decide when drafting?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-19-2020

I'm cool with just casting 'love interest'.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-19-2020

Chosen is up!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-19-2020

Many thanks for doing the Chosen List again, Boone. It's always appreciated, and I love your analysis/statistics of what's been chosen as the draft progresses.

Also: a few of you have reached out to me via PM with questions and so forth. In the process, I've seen what some of your themes are. I gotta say, you guys amaze me with your creativity. I can't wait to see how these all play out because some of your concepts are well and truly amazing. I think everyone is going to be really proud to see these character lineups when the week ends.

As to bonus picks, I'm thinking there will be two.

Scar is awesome.

In doing the chosen and the stats (yes, I totally lied about not doing these), I see that Turing didn't post at all yesterday. He okay?

Not much to report in terms of stats except that everyone (except Turing) has cast at least one of the cops.

12 people out of 18 have cast both cops.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-19-2020

That Morgan Freeman pic looks like Eddie Murphy performing some Morgan Freeman sketch.