The Trouble City Forums
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=162105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Alt-molt - 05-20-2020

I recommend the VARRICK blu ray. Good anecdotes from Andy Robinson!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-20-2020

Cool, Flagg

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-20-2020

Joey Pants as Captain Howard is probably one of the most purest examples of the "Angry, Yelling Police Chief" trope. Great stuff.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - bailey - 05-20-2020

Not that I expected Captain Howard to last until now, but to see him go right before my next pick is frustrating. Kind of throws a monkey wrench in my gears.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-20-2020

I was thinking, is Joey Pants too obvious? Then I was thinking, who can I get that's mostly like Joey Pants, but not so on the nose? Then I was thinking, just take Joey Pants, stupid.

Sorry, Bailey. I didn't want to ruin anyone's game with my chaos draft.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - bailey - 05-20-2020

It's cool. I needed to get Pants in there, and he's such a prototypical angry captain that he was perfect for my draft. But really, he's perfect for any draft.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - huntertarantino - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 04:18 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I was thinking, is Joey Pants too obvious? Then I was thinking, who can I get that's mostly like Joey Pants, but not so on the nose? Then I was thinking, just take Joey Pants, stupid.

Sorry, Bailey. I didn't want to ruin anyone's game with my chaos draft.

He's not too obvious. He's in my top two stupid police captains in movie history and probably the unsung star of the franchise. He's kind of like a Last Action Hero universe character that's been programmed with all the stupid chief cliches - tearing a new one at the scene, walking around with a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, screaming at his desk, attempting to find methods of connecting with his officers and take care of his cholesterol and blood pressure.

This scene from the second movie is my evidence.

I don't think anyone knows where mine is going. I'll give some context.

I've been using this draft to push myself on a rewrite of a script I wrote two drafts of. Each of my characters represents a conscious or subconscious inspiration on my own creations.

Anybody wants to guess, I won't be giving any big details till post-draft.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-20-2020

It should be pretty clear what I'm doing based on my pick today, but I'll go into the details once we wrap up the drafting.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-20-2020

Nice pick with The Eye, Pither. Legion has such a great first season.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-20-2020

Nice grab with Molly, HT. First of mine to get snatched. I watched VARRICK last nite and everything.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-20-2020

Elvis: Can you clarify who your villain is supposed to be? You didn't name a work when you drafted, and it looks like the photos you used are from 3 different movies, albeit with the same actor in a "biker" role.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-20-2020

It's William Smith as a triumphant returned Angel. I just used different pics to depict mood I was going for.

[Image: 220px-Film_Poster_for_Run%2C_Angel%2C_Run%21.jpg]

Cool, I thought that might be the case given the dude's filmography. Just was confused and wanted to know!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Pither - 05-21-2020

(05-20-2020, 09:08 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Nice pick with The Eye, Pither. Legion has such a great first season.

It really does! I liked the series as a whole more than a lot of people seem to, but that season can stand on its own.

I'm digging the selection of henchmen we have going, and have to give special mention to Boone's choice of Tommy Udo. I feel like so many of cinema's grinning psychopaths are descended from that performance.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-21-2020

Going to be delayed with the chosen today. Having a rougher week than I hoped.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boristhecheese - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 10:18 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Going to be delayed with the chosen today. Having a rougher week than I hoped.

Don't worry about the chosen.  Just have yourself a better week!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - huntertarantino - 05-21-2020

(05-20-2020, 09:10 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Nice grab with Molly, HT. First of mine to get snatched. I watched VARRICK last nite and everything.

I threw it on last night too.

Baker is superb in it. In fact, he was a last-minute take after realizing my Burt adversary choice was probably not the right fit.

The fact that Siegel made this right after Dirty Harry is remarkable, considering both of these are typical 70’s “action” movies that have the same structure as what came later, but they’re more contemplative.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 11:30 AM)boristhecheese Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 10:18 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Going to be delayed with the chosen today. Having a rougher week than I hoped.

Don't worry about the chosen.  Just have yourself a better week!

Yeah, seconded.  Best wishes!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 11:32 AM)huntertarantino Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 09:10 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Nice grab with Molly, HT. First of mine to get snatched. I watched VARRICK last nite and everything.

I threw it on last night.

Baker is superb in it. In fact, he was a last-minute take after realizing my Burt adversary choice was probably not the right fit.

I was humming that 'I Painted Her' song all damn daylong yesterday.

I thought it would be super cool to have him in the mix, but I'm not sure if he would really fit.

I mean he wouldn't be working for a motorcycle gang.

I'm actually really at a loss of where to go for 'henchman'. Nothing really fits exactly with what I'm doing.

I'm open to suggestions from anybody on what if any kind of variation I could use. I have one wild card hail mary long shot that works in my head but may be just too ridiculous.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - ratty - 05-21-2020

Captain Murphy is a sneaky great pick. He's an underrated asset to that entire series.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-21-2020

I went with Captain Murphy from the LETHAL WEAPON series as he's one of those stable, reasonable bosses. He doesn't really follow the standard SCREAMING BOSS trope but is instead a cool, steady presence. He listens to his subordinates and is overall quite supportive and even likable. He wouldn't have a big presence in my movie but, to be fair, he doesn't have a huge presence in the LW films either. He's memorable, though.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-21-2020

I'm really loving what a lot of folks are coming up with. I find myself eager to see who people are going to cast next as the concepts come together. Richard's has been one of the most fun to follow, as have Atom, Molt, Judas, Hunter, and Pither. Great stuff.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - huntertarantino - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 12:42 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I went with Captain Murphy from the LETHAL WEAPON series as he's one of those stable, reasonable bosses.  He doesn't really follow the standard SCREAMING BOSS trope but is instead a cool, steady presence.  He listens to his subordinates and is overall quite supportive and even likable.  He wouldn't have a big presence in my movie but, to be fair, he doesn't have a huge presence in the LW films either.  He's memorable, though.

Murphy is so underrated in that he lets off Riggs and Murtaugh constantly, but he's not afraid to say he disagrees with their methods.

There's another recurring side cop from the franchise that I would LOVE to see immortalized here.

Agreed on the others, Boone. Keeping an open field makes things more fun/unpredictable.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-21-2020

My draft started with an idea of doing a straight 70's Cop Action movie, but has morphed into something I might've hallucinated on some lost weekend.

I don't have a mapped out storyline to guide my game plan - I'm going by this escalating imaginary pitch meeting in my head. I can almost picture certain scenes.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-21-2020

Boone wins the day with Peggy Carter.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-21-2020

Okay, Javert and Jim West has to be the weirdest one-two punch in the entire draft.

(05-21-2020, 01:37 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Okay, Javert and Jim West has to be the weirdest one-two punch in the entire draft.

Agreed!  Loving it.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-21-2020

Judas, for the bonus picks tomorrow, will there be a separate thread?

(05-21-2020, 01:39 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Judas, for the bonus picks tomorrow, will there be a separate thread?

Yes.  thanks for the reminder, I'll create one.

I'm imagining Javert banging on some desk and going: "DAMNIT, YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE LAW!" and cracking up.

That's gold, Jerry!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - ratty - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 01:52 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I'm imagining Javert banging on some desk and going: "DAMNIT, YOU KNOW NOTHING OF THE LAW!" and cracking up.

That's gold, Jerry!

"Oh, Christ!  Javert's singing again."

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-21-2020

Is James West Will Smith or Robert Conrad?

(05-21-2020, 02:16 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Is James West Will Smith or Robert Conrad?

Applicable to both actors.  It's the character itself which is being drafted.

(05-21-2020, 02:18 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 02:16 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Is James West Will Smith or Robert Conrad?

Applicable to both actors.  It's the character itself which is being drafted.

My pic will be Robert Conrad. I figure he's had more experience.

Bonus thread is up.

For the bonus, you have two options:

Option 1: pick two remaining roles from the list of optional roles. As part of the standard draft, you should have all of the required roles covered, so I'm only going to allow optional roles for the bonus.
Option 2: you can change your mind on ONE of your picks from the main draft and replace that character with another character (who has not already been drafted). This is to accommodate those of you who have stumbled upon an idea late in the game that can be enhanced by tweaking your draft.