The Trouble City Forums
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: The Citizens (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=91)
+--- Forum: Drafts & Lists (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=162105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-21-2020

[Image: tumblr_o6hpxaLBm41tbcweeo1_400.gif]

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 02:31 PM)atomtastic Wrote: [Image: tumblr_o6hpxaLBm41tbcweeo1_400.gif]

Exactly.  He's one of the most entertaining henchmen out there.  He's completely unhinged and fun to watch in action.  It's kinda wild that nobody has ever really asked Vosloo to do this kind of role again (that I'm aware of) because he's amazing.

I'm picturing him working with Hans Gruber and another (yet to be drafted) villain and working beautifully.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - huntertarantino - 05-21-2020

Oh I definitely had Van Cleef and someone else from Hard Target in my reserve. You can clearly tell in that movie that Woo wanted it to be about the bad guys with the hero as a bigger but less seen character a la Under Siege or Cliffhanger.

In terms of my idea, I think my choices today are the two who would probably be the closest to a 1:1 match within the canvas.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 02:34 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Oh I definitely had Van Cleef and someone else from Hard Target in my reserve.

In terms of my idea, I think my choices today are the two who would probably be the closest to a 1:1 match within the canvas.

Yeah, I figured van Cleef was on the radar of several of you.  I didn't think he was going to last so I changed out my second selection of the day for him.  I had others set as potential backup picks if I lost him, but van Cleef was definitely my #1 choice.

As the Bonus Thread notice is at the very bottom of the prior page, I'm going to go ahead and repost it here so that it doesn't get lost:

Bonus thread is up.

For the bonus, you have two options:

Option 1: pick two remaining roles from the list of optional roles. As part of the standard draft, you should have all of the required roles covered, so I'm only going to allow optional roles for the bonus.
Option 2: you can change your mind on ONE of your picks from the main draft and replace that character with another character (who has not already been drafted). This is to accommodate those of you who have stumbled upon an idea late in the game that can be enhanced by tweaking your draft.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - huntertarantino - 05-21-2020

I honestly figured his boss would go first, the way people were drafting.

Nice bonus round catch, Judas. Option 2 might be my better bet.

(05-21-2020, 02:39 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: I honestly figured his boss would go first, the way people were drafting.

Nice bonus round catch, Judas. Option 2 might be my better bet.

In a draft like this, I can see inspiration hitting mid-week for a lot of people.  'Oh man, if I'd only taken X instead of Y!'  This gives you a chance to correct that mistake if you want to take it.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-21-2020

I think you should have to give a narrative reason for the replacement, though. Can just be one sentence, but explain why it happens!

(05-21-2020, 02:45 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I think you should have to give a narrative reason for the replacement, though. Can just be one sentence, but explain why it happens!

I'd rate that as optional.  I was viewing the character replacement as more of a 'mulligan', but is the drafter wants to come up with an 'in movie' reason why the character was swapped out, that's fine.

Boone encroaching on Thelema plot! Back Boone, back!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-21-2020

I've been hesitating on Parsons since I realized we were both playing in the same sandbox, but I think the two ideas will be different enough. The reason I drafted Parsons from the TV show is the fictionalized nature of a lot of it, which allows for some freedom, I think. Big Grin

Or perhaps our two pictures will exist in the Crowley Cinematic Universe.

Can't believe it took this long to get to Farina!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boristhecheese - 05-21-2020

I didn't know which Farina to grab. So many great choices. I even thought about one of his final roles as the dad on New Girl. Just thinking about his horse semen scheme brought a smile to my face.

Cousin Avi is an amazing choice among a plethora of great Farina roles. Well done. Honestly, I completely blanked on the Guy Ritchie films when coming up with my cast for some reason...which is odd considering that I've just binged most of them. Time to rethink my picks for tomorrow!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boristhecheese - 05-21-2020

(05-21-2020, 04:13 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Cousin Avi is an amazing choice among a plethora of great Farina roles.  Well done.  Honestly, I completely blanked on the Guy Ritchie films when coming up with my cast for some reason...which is odd considering that I've just binged most of them.  Time to rethink my picks for tomorrow!

Right!  I'm scrambling my brain for comedic cop & gangster roles and Guy Ritchie was somehow wasn't in there.  Stupid brain!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-21-2020

I would like to change the role one of my characters is assigned to, if that would be alright. If it's not allowed, that's cool, but I can improve on what I've got here.

(05-21-2020, 06:23 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I would like to change the role one of my characters is assigned to, if that would be alright. If it's not allowed, that's cool, but I can improve on what I've got here.

Hey Arjen:

I'll add that as a third option:
- You can re-assign up to two roles AND pick one bonus pick.

Does that seem fair for the bonus round?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - arjen rudd - 05-21-2020

That is precisely what I need. Thanks!

You're very welcome. OK, adding it now.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Fat Elvis - 05-21-2020

Joe fucking Hallenback! What a late round steal!

Lame Personal Anecdote: I'm lying in bed, tryin' to sleep. Once again my mind is racing about the draft. I'm mostly awake, but kinda semi-dozing. I'm going over my remaining ideas, when I have a sudden brainstorm. I had some 'eureka' moment, which allowed me to fall asleep peacefully.

I woke up about 10 minutes ago, and whatever it was is gone. I can almost taste it, but, again, gone.

Rage mode! I might have a breakdown over this if it doesn't come back! What a drag it is to be Mr. Short-term Memory!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-22-2020

Hey Simbob: that takes some real balls to call The Predator the 'secondary' villain.

Smile

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-22-2020

Dang, for a second I thought Hot Sandwich had THE MOON as a henchman. What a choice that would have been.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Hot Sandwich - 05-22-2020

Not as good as Bolo, though.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - boone daniels - 05-22-2020

Finding pics for my first choice today just reminded me what crime it is that we didn't get an adaptation of Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA in the 90s, with Jennifer Connelly as Elizabeth Short.

I almost went for Connelly's character from Mulholland Falls, but the Rocketeer is probably the movie that got me into this 1930s pulp-noir stuff, so I wanted to pay homage to it in some way. The two characters are so similar, though, that you could see a natural progression from Jenny to Mulholland Falls. So in my story, they're basically the same person.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - atomtastic - 05-22-2020

Calling the horny police on Boone. They can take me too.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Judas Booth - 05-22-2020

In my film:

Tequila's main adversary is Juntao (although he doesn't know his true identity).  In the opening scene, Tequila tries to take down Juntao and gets his partner killed.
In the meantime, in New York, Conklin and his partner Chance take down (undrafted).  Through backchannels, arranged by Conklins twin brother Curran out in L.A., (undrafted) gets sent to Hong Kong.
At the Hong Kong airport, Conklin loses (undrafted) to Hans Gruber's men who need (undrafted)'s skills.  Conklin and Chance stick around and get paired up with Tequila who 'does speak fucking English'.
At first, Tequila resents being paired with Conklin and Chance, but the team soon discovers that there's overlap in their cases: In tracking down who took (undrafted) at the airport, they uncover that Gruber is actually working with Juntao for the big Nakatomi Tower job.
In an action sequence, Chance gets killed (face blown off) by Van Cleef, Gruber's main henchman.  This puts Conklin into a funk, but he is brought out of said funk by Tequila.  He lost a partner in the opening scene, so he can relate.
Following various trails, they uncover the Nakatomi Tower job.  They get inside right when the building goes into lockdown.  All of the other security forces are killed, so only Tequila and Conklin remain to stop Gruber and his team.
Hijinks and action ensues.  Tequila kills Van Cleef's brother, setting Van Cleef off in a rage.  
May Day, Juntao's main henchwoman, is there to oversee the interests of Juntao.  She gets caught up in things and gets stuck up on the roof.  When Gruber orders to blow the roof, she ends up getting caught up in the explosion but not killed.  She survives, but many of her friends are killed.  Angered, she switches sides to help Conklin and Tequila.  
There's a big bomb in the basement of Nakatomi Tower that Gruber plans on setting off to totally cover their escape.  The team tries to disarm it but it can't be stopped.  Somebody has to drive it out of the building, and May Day volunteers, telling Conklin and Tequila to 'get Gruber for me.'
She drives off, laughing, and dies when the bomb goes off.
One of the workers at Nakatomi is pregnant and has a baby.  Tequila is able to deliver the baby but, immediately afterwards, gets caught up in a firefight with Van Cleef.  He takes the baby with him and carries if for the next few action sequences to protect the child.  Eventually, he's able to give the baby back to its mother.
Conklin and Tequila are able to take out Gruber, who gets dropped out of a 30th story window.
Upon leaving the Nakatomi Tower, they encounter Thomas Griffin, a British diplomat.  Both Tequila and Conklin realize that he is actually Juntao, the leader of the Asian Dawn that Gruber was talking about.  Juntao is arrested but, while trying to fight, is shot and killed by Tequila.
Suddenly, Van Cleef comes out of the tower.  It looked like he was dead earlier but it was just a ruse.  Both Conklin and Tequila gun him down together.
(undrafted) gets arrested.
Conklin realizes that he was set up by his brother, Curran.  As he leaves for the airport to fly to L.A. to confront his brother, he has a nice parting moment with Tequila and waves back at him as heads off into the terminal.

Judas is it ok to cast a deceased actor in the big name cameo?

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - hp pufncraft - 05-22-2020

Judas, I LOVE that you have Gruber actually working with the Asian Dawn. Very clever.

(05-22-2020, 01:42 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Judas, I LOVE that you have Gruber actually working with the Asian Dawn. Very clever.

I read about them in Time magazine.

Thanks!

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - Richard Dickson - 05-22-2020

Are we going to do a separate thread for our plots or just throw them in here?

do 'em here.

(05-22-2020, 01:38 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Judas is it ok to cast a deceased actor in the big name cameo?
Sad

(05-22-2020, 02:38 PM)atomtastic Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 01:38 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Judas is it ok to cast a deceased actor in the big name cameo?
Sad

sorry, missed this.  Go for it!

No worries, thanks!

Endo! I was hoping he'd make it in here. Honestly, for as often as Al Leong has appeared in action movies, I was contemplating taking several of the characters that he's portrayed as henchmen. I'd call the movie THE LEONG AND SHORT OF IT.

With Boris, I get my computer hacker. He'd take on the Theo role for Gruber. He's the guy that Conklin captures in New York and brings to Hong Kong.

RE: BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion - simbob - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 11:16 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Hey Simbob: that takes some real balls to call The Predator the 'secondary' villain.

Smile

I thought about the Predator as the main villain for like a second, especially before going Police Squad, but I still liked the idea of some alien hunter just showing up out of the blue that the cops have to deal with in that kind of comedy too.

I was going to get the alien that inspired the Predator movie though. But then I thought about it for a second and was like: How do I not get the Predator if he's still on the table?