The Trouble City Forums
The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Culture, Humor, and Free Form (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Shameless Links & Self Promotion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel (/showthread.php?tid=162137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-16-2020

Been away for a while. Haven't kept up with the site much but getting back into it... Hope everyone is staying healthy. 

Just wanted to share my first video on my new channel dedicated to film analysis.

Its a breakdown on a scene from Jaws... I have two videos posted but this is the first.. If you dig it I'd appreciate a like and hit that subscribe button as ill be posting more content weekly. 

JAWS: Spielberg's Perfect Camera Work. 

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - bradito - 05-16-2020

Oh heck!

Welcome back!!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Nooj - 05-16-2020

AMBLER!!!

THE YOUTUBER!!!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 03:20 PM)bradito Wrote: Oh heck!

Welcome back!!

Thanks sir!

(05-16-2020, 03:29 PM)Nooj Wrote: AMBLER!!!

THE YOUTUBER!!!

More dangerous than ever.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - commodorejohn - 05-16-2020

Good to see you back 'round these parts!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - bradito - 05-16-2020

The other day, I was just thinking about Ambler's analysis of the beginning of "Poltergeist." I love that kind of stuff. True film criticism!!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Mangy - 05-16-2020

Liked and subscribed.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Judas Booth - 05-16-2020

Good to see you alive and well.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - mcirish - 05-16-2020

Nice job Ambler!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-16-2020

(05-16-2020, 05:41 PM)bradito Wrote: The other day, I was just thinking about Ambler's analysis of the beginning of "Poltergeist." I love that kind of stuff. True film criticism!!

I am actually editing that one now...

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - shan - 05-16-2020

He's back everybody!

Fire up the signal!

[Image: 21530154.jpg]

Good to see you again, I was just wondering what you were up to this week!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - bradito - 05-17-2020

(05-16-2020, 11:17 PM)ambler Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:41 PM)bradito Wrote: The other day, I was just thinking about Ambler's analysis of the beginning of "Poltergeist." I love that kind of stuff. True film criticism!!

I am actually editing that one now...

*faints*

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Bucho - 05-17-2020

I'll probably subscribe to it.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Nooj - 05-17-2020

you did a deep dive into the opening of ET on the boards a while back

are you going to adapt that into a video as well?

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-18-2020

(05-17-2020, 12:28 AM)Nooj Wrote: you did a deep dive into the opening of ET on the boards a while back

are you going to adapt that into a video as well?

Yes eventually... Right now I am working on: 

Robocop
Terminator
Phantom Thread
Poltergeist
Dr Strangelove
Nightmare on Elm 3
Vid about Fincher, Lynch, Scorsese

The Right Stuff drops in about 8 hours.

My second Video about the opening scene of Jaws

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - hammerhead - 05-18-2020

Good stuff. You cut to Citizen Kane just as I was thinking about those Wellesian low angles. Clever, too, how Spielberg uses tilting up to the billboard to motivate that low angle.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - turingmachine75 - 05-18-2020

Sweeeet.

Glad you're back. Glad you brought goodies.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-18-2020

The Right Stuff

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-19-2020

In my latest video, I explain why the opening sequence of Poltergeist is a masterful example of subliminal storytelling.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - bradito - 05-19-2020

Yay!!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Neil Spurn - 05-19-2020

Ambler!!!!

I... miss you’re old avatar.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - bradito - 05-19-2020

"you're"

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Neil Spurn - 05-19-2020

Autocorrect!

Thanks for the support gang.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - mondguy - 05-19-2020

I'm watching the Poltergeist video now. Horror doesn't typically work on myself, but this movie is a big exception. A huge chunk of that is I empathize with the family so much.

(05-19-2020, 09:13 PM)mondguy Wrote: I'm watching the Poltergeist video now.  Horror doesn't typically work on myself, but this movie is a big exception.  A huge chunk of that is I empathize with the family so much.

Im working on 3 more longer more detailed Poltergeist videos so stay tuned...

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-20-2020

Why your love of THE TERMINATOR may not be as innocent as you think.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - commodorejohn - 05-20-2020

Interesting read on it. I've always thought there was a strong dark-catharsis element to a lot of the '80s apocalyptic films - not just that it was something generally on the forefront of everybody's minds at a time when real-world nuclear tensions were ramping back up, but that after thirty-plus years of living in a world where, essentially, everyone could die at any time for reasons totally out of their control, but (unlike natural disasters) at the hands of other people they just couldn't seem to get rid of, there seemed to be a certain dark streak buried deep in the popular consciousness that wanted the world to burn just to get it the fuck over with and hopefully have the assholes in charge of the whole mess go with it.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-20-2020

(05-20-2020, 08:24 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Interesting read on it. I've always thought there was a strong dark-catharsis element to a lot of the '80s apocalyptic films - not just that it was something generally on the forefront of everybody's minds at a time when real-world nuclear tensions were ramping back up, but that after thirty-plus years of living in a world where, essentially, everyone could die at any time for reasons totally out of their control, but (unlike natural disasters) at the hands of other people they just couldn't seem to get rid of, there seemed to be a certain dark streak buried deep in the popular consciousness that wanted the world to burn just to get it the fuck over with and hopefully have the assholes in charge of the whole mess go with it.

Good stuff, yeah, I was considering putting Heath Ledger's Joker in the video with his whole WATCH THE WORLD BURN, anarchism, etc.  But I can only put so much in and I think the late 90s was pretty significant with certain movies bringing these subconscious demons to the surface.  I think 9/11 changed the narrative pretty severely in ways we're still not even totally aware of.  And I still think we're all in a kind of shell shocked mental state that the big tech companies are taking advantage of via their social media platforms.

Also, I think the video touches on Cameron being very aware of these deep subconscious archetypes and takes advantage of them and it's one of the key things that makes his movies so baffling popular. Yeah, never bet against Cameron.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - hammerhead - 05-20-2020

Maybe this is a discussion to save for the sequels, but the canniest choice Cameron made, post-release, was to clock the public's fascination with the (Schwarzenegger) Terminator and redirect it towards a heroic, instead of nihilistic, end. He could have just complained that we were getting it all wrong.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - turingmachine75 - 05-20-2020

I remember being surprised that Arnold was the bad guy after Conan.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - mondguy - 05-21-2020

I could imagine 'Falling Down' fitting into the "embrace your dark impulses" genre. Hell, I remember them advertising the movie based around that idea.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Jones - 05-21-2020

Great analysis! I love the point of how the actual fear is twofold, and the protagonist is actually more afraid of her life having been changed forever rather than the big inhuman monster she has to fight. And it's both sides of that nightmare that the film pursues.

I do think though that Cameron always preferred the idea of a Terminator that could blend into a crowd (and finally got to explore it with the T1000), and basically just worked with what he had in Schwarzeneggar. As I understand it, at the fateful interview between Jim and Arnold, Jim wanted to pick a fight with Arnold so he could justify not hiring him as Arnold only wanted to play the good guy. However he was able to persuade Arnold to do it especially after Arnold had all these ideas about what the T actor would have to do.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-27-2020

Been on a Spielberg tip lately.  In my latest, I lay out his use of landmarks as visual metaphors in his underrated gem ALWAYS.  

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 05-30-2020

As our nation burns, I was reminded of Spike Lee's masterpiece Do The Right Thing... and was inspired to create this video: