The Trouble City Forums
The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Printable Version

+- The Trouble City Forums (http://citizens.trouble.city)
+-- Forum: Culture, Humor, and Free Form (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Shameless Links & Self Promotion (http://citizens.trouble.city/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel (/showthread.php?tid=162137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - shan - 05-30-2020

(05-20-2020, 07:19 PM)ambler Wrote: Why your love of THE TERMINATOR may not be as innocent as you think.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm a Skynet apologist.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-03-2020

Seeing The Blair Witch Project in the summer of 1999 was one of the most terrifying theatrical experiences I've ever had. And I wasn't entirely sure it was fake. Let's revisit that time period and examine the blurred line between reality and fiction.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Jones - 06-03-2020

Scariest film experience I've ever had. Really thought I was going to have a heart attack in the theatre.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Overlord - 06-05-2020

I watched your Jaws video, Ambler.

Good stuff. Couple of observations:

--I'm not sure it was really a "very deliberate choice" to not reveal the shark early on. Wasn't this creative decision basically necessitated by the mechanical sharks being broken for long stretches of filming?

--There is a great observation around the 12 minute mark about how modern directors rely more on cutting to establish mood/dynamics/etc. than they do classic framing and composition techniques. You summarized in a few well sketched sentences a complex topic about, IMHO, some of the technique-degradation evident in modern film making.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - turingmachine75 - 06-05-2020

If the shark *had* worked, would it have diminished the movie? I honestly don't think there is any spot in the movie that would have, or even could have used more shark. Maybe another quick glimpse during the early Kittner scene, but I feel that takes away from the horror of finally seeing it in the pond about to grab someone immediately after the big fake out . . . likewise any deaths more graphic than that take away from the abject horror of Quint's death swallowed whole, crushed, and screaming in the jaws of the shark.

Were we supposed to see Ben Gardner's boat attack? We see Ellen look at a painting of a shark battering a small boat, so I think the sinking of the Orca is properly set up.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-07-2020

(06-05-2020, 07:12 PM)Overlord Wrote: I watched your Jaws video, Ambler.

Good stuff.  Couple of observations:

--I'm not sure it was really a "very deliberate choice" to not reveal the shark early on.  Wasn't this creative decision basically necessitated by the mechanical sharks being broken for long stretches of filming?

Thanks.

When I say "early on", I don't mean early on in the process of filming.  I mean early in the run time of the film.  By the time they worked on a final cut, the shark issues had long been a factor, so they were working around it.

I don't know the specifics of when exactly they decided it was better to keep the shark hidden for most of the film though.

(06-05-2020, 08:41 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: If the shark *had* worked, would it have diminished the movie? I honestly don't think there is any spot in the movie that would have, or even could have used more shark. 

While it still would've been a great movie, I doubt the film would've been as impactful if they showed it more often.  

It's really about establishing norms.... keeping it hidden in the beginning gets the mind working, especially during Chrissie's attack.  After that it's more about managing expectations... people know it's a shark, so you really don't have to show it much.... their mind is already working overtime in terrifying itself.  

The most obvious point in the film where they could've showed it more was the chunk of the ocean hunt... the barrels basically took the place of showing it.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Overlord - 06-09-2020

The shark models that they used were very ... limited. While I think it still could have been just as fantastic of a movie seeing the shark early on, I'm not so sure that would be the case with the technology of the time.

I'm dreading just a little bit the obvious fakeness of the shark jaws and teeth in 4k (when chomping on Quint). I realize Spielberg has decided to shy away from changing his movies retroactively, but I prefer to see obvious FX gaffes fixed so long as nothing substantive is changed. Not a big fan of matte lines or visible wires, for example.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-10-2020

The first in my "Better Than You Remember" series, highlighting films I feel didn't get enough love upon release, and deserve revisiting.  New videos every Wednesday at 12 noon Central Time.  Subscribe to Cine-mechanic for all the latest.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - turingmachine75 - 06-10-2020

Keep 'em coming bud.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - mondguy - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 01:06 PM)ambler Wrote: The first in my "Better Than You Remember" series, highlighting films I feel didn't get enough love upon release, and deserve revisiting.  New videos every Wednesday at 12 noon Central Time.  Subscribe to Cine-mechanic for all the latest.

There's something about late 90's movies that relaxes myself so much.  1998 and 1999 in particular.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 06:54 PM)mondguy Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 01:06 PM)ambler Wrote: The first in my "Better Than You Remember" series, highlighting films I feel didn't get enough love upon release, and deserve revisiting.  New videos every Wednesday at 12 noon Central Time.  Subscribe to Cine-mechanic for all the latest.

There's something about late 90's movies that relaxes myself so much.  1998 and 1999 in particular.

That's the time period I started seriously getting into filmmaking and film culture.  When I went to see Faculty with my roommate, we loved the movie so much we stole the poster from the lobby!  Horrible, but fun.

Oh and cool fact... Jerry Springer was signing autographs at a table in the next parking lot over when we got out of the movie.  Ahhh, the 90s.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-17-2020

In challenging times, art can act as a beacon of hope.  Strange thing to say about such a dark, brutal thriller like Seven, but the film has more up its sleeve than just depravity and a head in a box.  It is a parable about the human condition, and in my latest video, I examine why.

New videos every Wednesday at 12 noon Central time.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Nooj - 06-17-2020

you're cranking out strong stuff so quickly!

freeman can learn something from this!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - somewhere - 06-18-2020

Dude you're killing it. Pretty sure I saw some some subtle commentary on Kevin Spacey's current standing.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-18-2020

(06-17-2020, 04:29 PM)Nooj Wrote: you're cranking out strong stuff so quickly!

freeman can learn something from this!

(06-18-2020, 02:27 AM)somewhere Wrote: Dude you're killing it.  Pretty sure I saw some some subtle commentary on Kevin Spacey's current standing.

Thank you guys for the support.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 06-24-2020

Haven't posted a scene breakdown in a while and this is my most extensive one yet. Had alot of fun putting it together. If you're a fan of Jurassic Park, this is a must watch.
New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central Time. Subscribe for all the latest.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - Nooj - 06-25-2020

oooh, you changed the video thumbnail!

looks good!

and your point about Spielberg, at his best, is as an 'emotion-based' action director is right on

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - hammerhead - 06-25-2020

Note also that Spielberg uses a similar visual fakeout at the beginning of Close Encounters, with supposed UFOs resolving into Jeep headlights.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 07-01-2020

In my latest video I explore the shocking parallels between the computer dream world of The Matrix and our social media.

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central time.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 07-08-2020

The second of my "Better Than You Remember" series.  This film is an incredible piece of pop art that I feel never got the love it deserved.  And it's your only chance to see Fred Savage as a junkie!

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central time.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - mondguy - 07-08-2020

I had always considered seeing that movie but it slipped by myself. Your video convinced myself to seek it out.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 07-15-2020

In my second Poltergeist breakdown, I explore the theme of children as superior beings.  The film heavily implies that children have an emotional intelligence, keen sense of observation and problem solving skills far greater than we give them credit for.

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central.  Subscribe to CineMechanic for all the latest.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 07-22-2020

In my latest, I examine how corporations have hijacked the human soul through greed and rampant consumerism, and how OCP's assimilation of the police force in Robocop expresses this theme. I also metaphorically tie the corporate bodily structure to the human body itself, and examine where Robocop fits into this surreal puzzle.  This one is deep, folks.

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central.  Subscribe to CineMechanic for all the latest.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - hammerhead - 07-22-2020

Nice observation that Boddicker's gang is part of the corporate body (ker).

Worth noting, perhaps, that ED-209 was meant to reflect Detroit design/manufacture trends. It's basically an SUV- a monument to overcompensation far heavier than its intended task requires, loaded with redundant components and topped off with a 'sexy' hood and grill. The bit about it being pre-sold to military customers is sharp too.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 07-29-2020

This video was completed weeks ago and scheduled to release today, but with the recent passing of John Saxon (RIP), the timing is weird, as he dies in Nightmare 3.  Most people don't know that Saxon wrote his own script for Nightmare 3 that pinned the child murders not on Freddy Krueger but on the Charles Manson family.  Mason's rampage in the 70s shattered the American dream and its innocence, and in my latest, I examine just how Freddy Krueger shattered the American dream for the characters of Nightmare 3.  Hope you enjoy.

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon central.  Subscribe to CineMechanic for all the latest.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 08-05-2020

In my latest video, I examine Stanley Kubrick's obsession with trying to change the form of cinema. He somewhat succeeded with his masterpiece 2001. The language in which the film's epic ideas are buried act as a kind of code. I attempt to decipher this code language and uncover Kubrick's ambitious ideas for probably the greatest the sci-fi movie of all time.

New video every Wednesday at 12 noon Central.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 08-12-2020

With the recent announcement of the Scream reboot, it feels like a good time to revisit the original and its seismic impact on the horror genre, which is still felt to this day.  Scream is the granddaddy of the meta take on scary movies, so let's investigate why it became such a phenomenon.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 08-19-2020

Ever wonder why you were on the edge of your seat when you first saw Back To The Future's clock tower scene?  In my latest video I explain why.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 08-26-2020

I always knew there was something weird with The Neverending Story when I saw it as a young lad. In my latest video I tackle the crazy-complex themes this movie isn't afraid to present to kids. FALCOR!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - somewhere - 08-27-2020

Killing it.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 08-27-2020

(08-27-2020, 01:57 AM)somewhere Wrote: Killing it.

Thanks!

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 09-02-2020

The first of my two-part ALIEN/ALIENS analysis.  The visceral terror the xenomorph inflicted on unsuspecting audiences really can't be understated.  And it works because of very specific design choices made by Ridley Scott.  Fun fact: I was a baby in my mother's stomach when she and my dad saw ALIEN in '79.  

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 09-09-2020

Part 2 of my ALIEN/ALIENS analysis.  This one focuses specifically on Ripley, and why she is one of the best cinema heroes of all time.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 09-16-2020

Michael Myers is probably the most enigmatic slasher villain. In my latest I dissect his relation to America's underlying social anxieties.

RE: The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel - ambler - 09-23-2020

Before Marvel became the coca cola of movie franchises (and that's not necessarily a compliment), there was Blade, the subject of my latest video.  X-Men is often cited as the catalyst for the modern super hero craze, but Blade did it first and did it better.  And I'm sorry Mahershala, but Wesley Snipes will always be Blade.