Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCEAN'S 8 (2018) Pre-Release
What's the Met Gala?
Yeah, I mean the cast, the name, and the premise sells it-- not sure it matters if the heist itself is at Buckingham Palace, the Louvre, or the Bellagio. (Besides it seems like something more aimed at women which is-- you know, pretty appropriate.) Anyway this is gonna make a lotta caysh.
I only have a vague conception of what the Met Gala actually is, but I know it means fashion, expensive jewelry (which is what they're heisting), lots and lots of celebrities, etc. I don't think you really need to know much more than that?
it's a gala where you meet people!

so you can have MET them!
(04-12-2018, 02:27 PM)Nooj Wrote: it's a gala where you meet people!

so you can have MET them!

[Image: f-p.gif]
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Because I'm Captain Serious: 

The Met Gala, aka the Met Ball, formerly the Costume Gala, is a big party thrown every year in NYC by Vogue and the Metropolitan Museum, ostensibly to fund-raise for the wing/department of the museum that focuses on the art of fashion throughout history. The galas are often "themed" and tied to a specific show at the Costume Institute (aformentioned fashion museum), and the attendees are supposed to dress in clothing that is themed to that institution. So when they did a punk exhibition a few years back, you saw a lot of leather. Their controversial China exhibition had a lot of attendees wearing Chinese designers - there was a documentary about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Monday_in_May 

Anyway, Anna Wintour, she of Devil Wears Prada/Vogue fame, is in charge of it and personally selects the guest list of people she wants to have there/finds interesting in any given year. Getting a ticket is a big deal, and it's widely covered on social media/in the fashion/gossip press because things have happened in the past, everything from this meeting of Your Internet Boyfriends: 
[Image: 1-Rami-Malek-Riz-Ahmed-Donald-Glover.w710.h473.2x.jpg]

to Solange attacking Jay-Z in an elevator over Jay's cheating while Beyonce looked on: 
[Image: 140512201048-01-jay-z-solange-horizontal...allery.jpg]

to Derek Jeter winning my heart forever by refusing to put up with Brandon Stanton of Humans of New York's twee bullshit: 

But yeah - fancy party, big location, lots of celebrity, tons of bling. That's basically it. I also think the Met Gala as A Thing probably has more cultural penetration among the target audience for this movie than a bunch of bearded white dudes on a message board who still insist the Last Jedi sucked.
home taping is killing music
(04-12-2018, 02:49 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I also think the Met Gala as A Thing probably has more cultural penetration among the target audience for this movie than a bunch of bearded white dudes on a message board who still insist the Last Jedi sucked.

Um... okay?

ETA: Not trying to be flippant, just genuinely not following this!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I DON'T HAVE A BEARD!!!

...I... I can't...
I love you guys - I love us - but sometimes we have to admit that there's stuff we don't know about, and that when it comes to appealing to a female audience, the glamour of the Met Gala has the same panache and style as Vegas did for the Rounders set.
(04-12-2018, 03:10 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I love you guys - I love us - but sometimes we have to admit that there's stuff we don't know about, and that when it comes to appealing to a female audience, the glamour of the Met Gala has the same panache and style as Vegas did for the Rounders set.

Very fair! Despite the conceit of its cast, I guess I wasn't viewing OCEAN'S 8 as going so explicitly for a female audience. Taken in that context, the Met makes sense more sense now.

And it's fine! I'm reasonably confident I'm going to like the movie.
I mean, it's clear they're going for as wide audience as possible. The graphics in that trailer are very "Hey, remember those Ocean's movies you love?" But the choice of the Met makes sense given that context.
(04-12-2018, 03:10 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I love you guys - I love us - but sometimes we have to admit that there's stuff we don't know about, and that when it comes to appealing to a female audience, the glamour of the Met Gala has the same panache and style as Vegas did for the Rounders set.

I already said this basically!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I had to gender it! It's in my nature!
You guys didn't hear this from me, but this movie is super fun.
Is Blanchett as good as she appears to be?

Hypothetically, of course.
That's good to know supposedly!

That trailer was an absolute ton of fun. I really dig the cast and if they can deliver, all the better.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
I didn't know about the Met Gala before this.

I also think The Last Jedi was bad.

I'll still see this. With my wife. And we will both have a good time.
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
Weird seeing an Ocean aesthetic without the deep blacks and golds and low lighting.

Still, digging the cast's chemistry and Hathaway has leveled up into full Devil Wears Prada mode.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Something intriguing jumped out at me as I was rewatching the trailer...
[Image: Music.png]
Definitely a reason to be excited.  This should be right in Pemberton's wheelhouse.

(04-13-2018, 12:34 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Weird seeing an Ocean aesthetic without the deep blacks and golds and low lighting.

Still, digging the cast's chemistry and Hathaway has leveled up into full Devil Wears Prada mode.

Visually, I think it looks like it could reasonably be in the same aesthetic universe as the first three movies, just with a colder skew.  Which fits New York City.

And speaking of Hathaway, both trailers have been playing a bit coy with her role in this thing.  The fact that she's among the eight actresses featured... and the title being OCEAN'S 8... and her being in the subway car with them all at the end... would indicate that she's part of the team.  I mean, if she's not the eighth of the eight, then who is?

But the trailer makes it otherwise seem as though she's the one being robbed.  I hope her involvement with the heist is not meant to be a twist in the story, because if it is, I think the trailer has kind of blown it.
Yeah, Wikipedia describes her as "Daphne Kluger, a celebrity and the target of the heist." So either the subway bit is her teamed up with them earlier and she betrays them...

Or yeah, she's in on it and the trailer just gave everything away.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

It's neither.
(04-13-2018, 01:53 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Yeah, Wikipedia describes her as "Daphne Kluger, a celebrity and the target of the heist." So either the subway bit is her teamed up with them earlier and she betrays them...

Or yeah, she's in on it and the trailer just gave everything away.

It's neither!
Dark Shape knows things.

DOES HE THOUGH??

he was fooled by digital mustache removal!!

I HAVE RECEIPTS!!!
(04-13-2018, 03:59 PM)The Dark Shape Wrote: It's neither!

Well, that's good! I have no idea what's going on, then.

It's really got me wondering who the eighth member of the crew is.
(04-13-2018, 04:06 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Dark Shape knows things.

JOHN CENA SALUTES BUMBLEBEE YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST
I hope that last shot of the trailer is just for marketing and not a spoiler.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Early word from tonight's screening is that this is a ton of fun and Hathaway's the MVP.
That's good!
This was fun. It certainly lacks the flair and panache Soderbergh gave to the other films, and it has none of the "hangout movie" vibes those films had (these two things were my main draw re: those films). It also goes a little crazy with its fawning over celebrities and fancy brands. I had some other problems that would be mildly spoilerish so I won't mention them here.

That said, the cast is insanely entertaining; Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway being the MVPs and clearly having the most fun (it helps that they have the two funnest characters in the story). Mindy Kaling has some nice moments too. Everyone is quite good, really.

Everything looks pretty slick and Juliette Welfling's editing certainly elevates the material.

It's a good time at the theatre, but don't expect your world to be rocked.
(06-07-2018, 07:44 PM)andrevellozo Wrote: It also goes a little crazy with its fawning over celebrities and fancy brands.

This is cause for a little concern, but hopefully it's not too obtrusive. Other than that, it sounds like a good time!

Did the music jump out at you at all?
They give a lot of attention to the Kardashians that bugged me a lot and the brand name shots reminded me of a bad Sex and the City episode.

The music was clearly aping David Holmes. It's good but it's a little on the nose. They also use some crappy pop songs in a very "pandering to the teens" way.

I'm coming off a lot harsher on the film than I intended hahahaha but I did like itm
I hate pandering! You're scaring me, now!
In their defence, it only stood out for me a couple times.
I will prepare myself accordingly.
I also loved how, even though his show doesn't even air here in Brazil, the entire audience let out a collective groan when James Corden showed up.