Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019) Pre-Release Discussion
So did Formaggio let them loose and Godzilla has to show up and take care of business?

Is she an environmental wacko that wants to save the earth by destroying everything on it?
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
that seems like a reasonable takeaway from the trailer!
I took it more they wanted to unleash the other monsters to stop Godzilla, as he would be the "fever" the Earth unleashed to get rid of us.
Just this guy, you know?
(07-21-2018, 03:56 PM)Nooj Wrote: that's a beautiful piece of marketing

you ready for round 2 of that post-human storytelling Nooj?
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
as long as it's not from TEMP DIRECTOR, sure!
(07-21-2018, 04:53 PM)electrichead Wrote: So did Formaggio let them loose and Godzilla has to show up and take care of business?

Is she an environmental wacko that wants to save the earth by destroying everything on it?

I took it more as Godzilla has extensive knowledge of global warming since he has been around so long. So she unleashes the monsters to draw him out so he can teach us how to stop all this. Can't wait to hear his or quite possibly her solution!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
An Inconvenient Truth 3 - Godzilla leads the discussion on how to get Mother Earth back on her feet, with special guest speaker Javier Bardem.

(07-21-2018, 04:58 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I took it more they wanted to unleash the other monsters to stop Godzilla, as he would be the "fever" the Earth unleashed to get rid of us.

I think Ghidorah is the fever to get rid of us, the infection, and Godzilla has to come in and clean up the mess and needs back-up from his old pals to make it happen.

Of course, that's based on Ghidorah always being the bad guy whenever he shows up.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
I'm not ashamed to say that that trailer made me jizz, in my pants.
Git' in under mah belly!
Ohh there should be a recruiting scene. "Ahh Mothra you sonofabitch, whats the matter pushing too many pencils"?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(07-21-2018, 05:20 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Ohh there should be a recruiting scene. "Ahh Mothra you sonofabitch, whats the matter pushing too many pencils"?

"You cooked up a story and dropped the three of us in the Ghidora meat-grinder! I don't do this kind of work."
(07-21-2018, 04:53 PM)electrichead Wrote: So did Formaggio let them loose and Godzilla has to show up and take care of business?

everyone wants to be THANOS

vera farmiganos!

I'm assuming the 'emotional core' of the story will be via the young girl's relationship with her divorced parents, who are on opposite sides of the matter of the titans

not so post-human!

more like a post-divorce blockbuster! so very spielberg!
Edit - Sorry.
(07-21-2018, 05:28 PM)Nooj Wrote:

everyone wants to be THANOS

vera farmiganos!

I'm assuming the 'emotional core' of the story will be via the young girl's relationship with her divorced parents, who are on opposite sides of the matter of the titans

not so post-human!

more like a post-divorce blockbuster! so very spielberg!
Opposite sides! "Listen honey I don't hate your father we just have a difference of opinion. He wants to live on earth and I want to destroy it with a golden 3 headed Dragon that breathes uhh lightning bolts I think, OK?"

(07-21-2018, 05:29 PM)Felix Wrote: Edit - Sorry.

You should be.
MOSURA YA MOSURA
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Not to humblebrag or anything, but the actor that I cast in my two short fillums is playing King Ghidora's right head in this.

I know talent when I see it!
You had an actor made of CGI? What was he like? The lawnmower man?
This looks great!

Effects look amazing considering how far out this is still from release.

And loved the usage Clair De Lune!

(07-21-2018, 05:59 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: You had an actor made of CGI? What was he like? The lawnmower man?

You haven't seen my short fillums?

Get to fuck!
Wow. That's better than I had hoped for. I got goosebumps.

My brain is on fire after seeing that.

Some thoughts:
- If you are gonna have someone say "Long live the king" it may as well be Charles Dance.
- Rodan vs Fighter Jets looks like ID4 with Kaiju
- I'm actually pretty interested in what seems like Vera's netball plan to let loose all the monsters. Did they artificially activate a volcano to wake up Rodan?
- I love Godzilla's roar, but I also love the low hum as he's charging up for an atomic breath.
- This film looks to go full apocalyptic by the end.
- How is Kong vs Godzilla gonna compete with this?
- I now also want to see these guys do Mecha-Godzilla.
- Is Pacific Rim allowed to cross over into the Monsterverse?
PSN: Kriegaffe
(07-21-2018, 07:42 PM)kriegaffe Wrote: - How is Kong vs Godzilla gonna compete with this?

That is my only (slight) concern at this point. This feels like a gigantic, climactic monster mash, which one would think would be the thing they'd be building towards. King Kong has somewhat higher name value and cultural cachet in America, so in a certain sense I get why they would want to position that clash as the finale, but I really don't know how that movie could get bigger than this.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Like Kong is going to be the only kaiju in GvsK. Come on now.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Hell yeah.

[Image: gkotm_large.jpg]
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Rep for you, Sir.
(07-21-2018, 08:23 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 07:42 PM)kriegaffe Wrote: - How is Kong vs Godzilla gonna compete with this?

That is my only (slight) concern at this point.  This feels like a gigantic, climactic monster mash, which one would think would be the thing they'd be building towards.  King Kong has somewhat higher name value and cultural cachet in America, so in a certain sense I get why they would want to position that clash as the finale, but I really don't know how that movie could get bigger than this.

Godzilla is so full of crazy shit this doesn't exactly feel like all that big of a gigantic climactic event. At least in context of all the other toys they have to play with. Hell, that Godzilla anime running on Netflix now is like crazy post-apocalyptic Godzilla on Godzilla Earth with a giant 20,000 year old Godzilla, a Mechagodzilla city, and Mothra people. It can always get crazier, especially with a Hollywood budget behind it.

The MechaGodzilla movie had Planet of the Ape aliens, so maybe they'll show up in that Godzilla Vs King Kong movie. King Ghidorah ties into aliens sometimes, so that could easily be used as an in to bring in aliens now or sometime down the road. Could see a Godzilla Vs King Kong where in trying to battle Godzilla we get stuff like MechaGodzilla, Biollante, and Orga.

Japanese Kong also has ties into stuff like Frankenstein Conquers the World and The War of the Gargantuas, so maybe they'll do something with that too. Although I doubt they'll get that weird with it by referencing that stuff.
I hope godzilla does his victory dance in this!
(07-21-2018, 10:00 PM)simbob Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 08:23 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:

That is my only (slight) concern at this point.  This feels like a gigantic, climactic monster mash, which one would think would be the thing they'd be building towards.  King Kong has somewhat higher name value and cultural cachet in America, so in a certain sense I get why they would want to position that clash as the finale, but I really don't know how that movie could get bigger than this.

Godzilla is so full of crazy shit this doesn't exactly feel like all that big of a gigantic climactic event. At least in context of all the other toys they have to play with. Hell, that Godzilla anime running on Netflix now is like crazy post-apocalyptic Godzilla on Godzilla Earth with a giant 20,000 year old Godzilla, a Mechagodzilla city, and Mothra people. It can always get crazier, especially with a Hollywood budget behind it.

The MechaGodzilla movie had Planet of the Ape aliens, so maybe they'll show up in that Godzilla Vs King Kong movie. King Ghidorah ties into aliens sometimes, so that could easily be used as an in to bring in aliens now or sometime down the road. Could see a Godzilla Vs King Kong where in trying to battle Godzilla we get stuff like MechaGodzilla, Biollante, and Orga.

Japanese Kong also has ties into stuff like Frankenstein Conquers the World and The War of the Gargantuas, so maybe they'll do something with that too. Although I doubt they'll get that weird with it by referencing that stuff.

Kong and Godzilla have to team up at the end of their Vs movie right? Kind of like a less crappy BvS? If they do make Kong the Batman equivalent, I will squel with glee over the stupidity. Especially if the fight starts over a case of mistaken identity because MechaGodilla attacked Kong initially. Throw in Gigan too because why the hell not.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
They both need to climb the Empire State Building.
Yeah, this trailer is fantastic.

Love that it looks more tonally in line with Godzilla '14 than Kong: Skull Island. I've got nothing against KSI, but I can put Godzilla on whenever and just soak it in. Kong is one of the only times I've paused a blu mid-movie and gone to bed.

LOVE that shot of Mothra's wings unfurling. And it looks like larval Mothra will have some sort of connection to Eleven.
(07-21-2018, 07:42 PM)kriegaffe Wrote: - This film looks to go full apocalyptic by the end.

That shot of Washington DC certainly seems to suggest that.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-21-2018, 09:54 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Hell yeah.

[Image: gkotm_large.jpg]

That is gorgeous. I'd put that on a wall.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
That poster is more than a little reminiscent of this one:

[Image: 91ZMClbw75L._SY606_.jpg]
Just this guy, you know?
The new poster is fucking gorgeous.

Old one is pretty damn boss, too.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-21-2018, 05:20 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Ohh there should be a recruiting scene. "Ahh Mothra you sonofabitch, whats the matter pushing too many pencils"?

Mothra has to talk Godzilla and Rodan into helping her defeat Ghidorah in Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster, so this would not be unprecedented
This could have used some Mothra twins.
Okay, this trailer undoubtedly wins the best trailer of SDCC 2018; it's fucking gorgeous! It's a movie that I'd consider seeing in 3D IMAX and pay the extra fee.

"Jesus Christ! You've got some problems! First the balls, now my death!" - Daniel Craig