Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avian
I have apologized for what was a tasteless, but relatively harmless, joke. I deleted that post. I deleted that thread.

Avian has responded by continuing to harass me through his signature. His latest, claiming that I forced someone to have an abortion, is particularly painful given the fact I've had close friends and family that have gone through that experience.

This latest move of his, to me, crosses a line. 

I really do think something should be done regarding his continued participation on these forums, which is why I'm bringing it into its own thread rather than a "I'm done" or "AWOL chewer" thread. I really appreciated people blocking him - even those I've been combative with. That meant a lot to me.

But I don't know what to do, because it feels like ignoring him only makes it worse.

This will be my only post in this thread.
home taping is killing music
Honestly, I think ignoring him is probably your best option here, unless you can get Nick to step in (and that's something you should probably attempt to contact him directly about.) He's only doing this because he knows it winds you up. Public call-out posts just feed into that.
FWIW, I've put avian on ignore.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Doing what he's doing is indicative of a sociopathic mindset and a level of cruelty that I have no interest in engaging with or acknowledging further. Blocking doesn't seem enough because this is totally harassment....but that's the only option at the moment. I'm sorry you have to come in here knowing that that's there and nothing is being done about it..
I just saw the sig. That is beyond fucked up and uncalled for. I'm sorry he's harassing you. FWIW I also blocked him.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
What the hell has been going on over here?

*looks up Avian's signature*

Wow. Fuck that guy.

*puts Avian on ignore, moves on*
*also looks it up*

Now my  blood's all angered up.

Well, fuck that dude. Absolutely vile behavior.

And this is the kind of thing that does argue for there to be a moderator who can step in and do more than just say "Hey, knock it off". The self-moderation shown by everyone putting avian on ignore is probably the right thing to do, but jeez.
(12-13-2018, 12:49 PM)jacob singer Wrote: What the hell has been going on over here?

I believe what happened was that Avian got upset that some people had taken to riding him about how he reacted with consistent negativity to casting and characterization decisions that promoted diversity in blockbuster filmmaking.  This was somewhat understandable, as there was a lot of passive-aggression to it, of people not quite calling him a racist misogynist, but definitely calling him a racist misogynist (which people have subsequently copped to and apologized for).  This compounded with his long-standing frustration that his blog-length "eviscerations" of popular blockbusters were not being met with the universal praise he felt they deserved to embitter him completely on this place.  So he resolved to leave.

But like so many of us, he didn't know how to quit the place, so he started by making a "I'm Leaving" thread, and when that didn't produce the flood of pleas to stay that he hoped, he decided that the only adult thing to do would be to go full supervillain.  Now he apparently thinks he's proving some sort of point by posting specious but really specific accusations about individual posters that he feels wronged him.  

At least that's how it has looked from where I was sitting.
Thank you for the summation. I'm going to go post in the Gift Exchange thread, which, coincidentally, concerns a lovely Christmas gift from Boone. That seems fitting.

Well I heard Avian is the guy responsible for convincing Lucas to do the Special Editions of the OT in the first place.
He also singlehandedly conceived of the monkey swinging scene in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
He encourages everyone he knows to subscribe to Pewdiepie.
He gave Mark Zuckerberg the idea for Facebook.
He created the term ‘social media influencer.’
He got Michael Bay hired for Transformers.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
He writes checks for his groceries.
He doesn't know how to merge.
He always leaves a tiny amount of milk in the carton and puts it back in the fridge.
He always asks, "Is there gluten in this?" at dinner parties.

Who the hell has sigs enabled anyway?

What is this, 2014?
I do.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Psst. So does Bucho.

I got so annoyed with the amount of space sigs took up so long ago, I forgot they existed
(12-13-2018, 02:29 PM)jacob singer Wrote: Psst. So does Bucho.

I am dumb! Tongue

(12-13-2018, 01:27 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 12:49 PM)jacob singer Wrote: What the hell has been going on over here?

I believe what happened was that Avian got upset that some people had taken to riding him about how he reacted with consistent negativity to casting and characterization decisions that promoted diversity in blockbuster filmmaking.  This was somewhat understandable, as there was a lot of passive-aggression to it, of people not quite calling him a racist misogynist, but definitely calling him a racist misogynist (which people have subsequently copped to and apologized for).  This compounded with his long-standing frustration that his blog-length "eviscerations" of popular blockbusters were not being met with the universal praise he felt they deserved to embitter him completely on this place.  So he resolved to leave.

But like so many of us, he didn't know how to quit the place, so he started by making a "I'm Leaving" thread, and when that didn't produce the flood of pleas to stay that he hoped, he decided that the only adult thing to do would be to go full supervillain.  Now he apparently thinks he's proving some sort of point by posting specious but really specific accusations about individual posters that he feels wronged him.  

Ohhhh right, he was Posts-Are-Way-Too-Long-So-I-Skipped-Them-Entirely Guy.
(12-13-2018, 02:54 PM)Mangy Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 01:27 PM)schwartz Wrote:

Ohhhh right, he was Posts-Are-Way-Too-Long-So-I-Skipped-Them-Entirely Guy.

So this is your fault, really.
I mean, I liked avian's blockbuster teardowns.

Just, you know, not enough to excuse this shitty behavior of his.
(12-13-2018, 02:49 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 02:29 PM)jacob singer Wrote: Psst. So does Bucho.

I am dumb! Tongue

Ha, to be fair I shut that feature down an age ago so I forgot I even had a sig myself.

These days, like Nooj, I appreciate the less visually cacophanous aesthetic of sig-free message boards. Avatars and whatever fun tag a mofo has under their username are plenty for me.
I was...okay (if mildly concerned) with Avian until his recent behavior. I have him on block as well.
.....didn't he like, make a thread saying that he was leaving the forums?
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
This is exactly what he wants. Exactly.

Put him on ignore, like every other sensible chewer has, and never think about him again. Life is too fucking short.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
if this is really exactly what he wants...

congrats, I guess!
I remember him as the super long posts guy, and then people would react to his unremarkable not terribly entertaining posts like they were Gods gift.

You fucking enablers.
(I always scrolled past his block o text. I ain't got time for that.)
Letterboxd Profile: https://letterboxd.com/wd40/

I often feel like I'm stuck in this weird film fan no man's land. Too picky and alert for the proles, too accepting for the bourgeoisie.
-MichaelM

Normal people have such nuanced bad taste.
-Bradito
Since he's back, and posting, I'm bumping this thread to bring to whoever still runs this fucking place's attention that Avian has changed his signature, except now it's about me, and animal abuse.

Do something already.
home taping is killing music
Seconded.

I have him on ignore, which is all I'm able to do.

(04-04-2019, 09:27 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Since he's back, and posting, I'm bumping this thread to bring to whoever still runs this fucking place's attention that Avian has changed his signature, except now it's about me, and animal abuse.

Do something already.

I tried sending him a PM a while back asking he change it, and I got a snide reply. All class, that one.
I PM'd him a while ago as well. No response.
Fuck, he's still doing this? This is not OK and the kind of shit that makes it easier and easier for me to not check in here as often as I used to.

Updating it means he's doubled down, which means he knows what he did isn't ok but has decided to keep going. What a positively Trumpian response.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Vile garbage behavior. If there is anyone in charge of the site, this shit should not be allowed.
His teardowns were sometimes entertaining but more often than not gave me the impression he was a miserable git who couldn't watch a film without feeling like he needed to put it down a peg or two, so after awhile I just started skipping them, especially as they seemed to get unnecessarily longer. I didn't need them to be the length of epic poems.

Fuck this guy. *puts on ignore*