Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AWOL Chewers
The thing I liked most about Discord was seeing people drop their board schticks and just be cool with each other. Like, I liked posting here on the boards with everyone because we often get to have these great, in depth discussions about cool stuff and mutual interests, but because of the Discord there's now several people there that I feel much closer to now personally to the point that I consider them actual friends which is ALSO great. Even my husband, who's not a message board type AT ALL thought it seemed so fun that he jumped onto the server now.

I'm aware of exactly two incidents of this nature in the history of the Discord, and they both deal with pre-existing history and tensions from here crossing over and almost immediately getting addressed by mods on the Discord that we don't have here. Both were addressed quickly, fairly (in my view), and with lots of chances for both sides of any disagreement to make their case and/or make amends and be welcomed back with open arms as far as I can tell.

I'd love the chance to hang out with pretty much everyone here in both contexts but I also totally get that some people are clearly more comfortable in one setting or the other, which is also fine. It doesn't mean that anyone or either board is 'less cool' or the 'trendy new thing' or whatever. But Discord is going to require an ability to drop your board 'schtick' and just be a person, while the boards are mostly places for us to present more 'curated' online personas.

Can we just quit slamming one side or the other, especially for people that haven't given both options a chance? Like even with this disagreement, the overwhelming instinct I saw from everyone was that it was a shame that Bart and Brad weren't getting along because we wanted BOTH there. No choosing sides or outright cliquishness other than addressing the content of very specific posts and plenty of willingness to forgive and forget.

Can't we all just get along?
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Quiet, and continue to lick my bootheel, before I downgrade you to MichaelC(era)!
(12-19-2018, 12:05 PM)boone daniels Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 11:14 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: It's pretty clear over on Discord, especially if you actually read the 'rules', that everyone is supposed to leave any TC/CHUD shit behind over there.  If you've got drama, don't cross the streams...keep the places separate.  It's not that fucking hard to do.  Things have been pretty great over there...very active, very civil, very engaging.  It's a really positive atmosphere.  There's simply no reason to go over there and bring your TC baggage with you.

Except one of the downsides to Discord is that this is impossible by nature given that some of the "big men on campus" on Discord are people who have developed an animosity for others over years. I won't name names, but especially given the fact that there are former chewers that are somewhat active there who I don't get along with - that's a big reason why I don't participate. "Not crossing the streams" seems like it's bound to let things fester like this until there's spill-over.

Also, bullshit, I get the e-mails so I know when people are talking about me. Let's not pretend that doesn't go on.

Boone, as far as I am aware I am the only person on Discord who actively dislikes you and your bullshit. There may be one or two other "big men on campus" that don't care for you much but no one over there has carried any shit along with them as far as I am aware on that point too. In fact, I know that some of your "big big men on campus" know how to work our Block feature and do so very easily out of respect for the rules.

But back to my dislike of you, when you first showed up to Discord I made a point of telling the other mods that BECAUSE OF MY BIAS, I was going to remove myself from any decisions about your presence if you became problematic with your knee-jerk reaction to the joke that was made about you joining. Again, a JOKE. And here you are still harping on it seven months later.

As to this "talking about me" thing that several of you seem to have a hard-on for, most of the Discord members still read and post here. No one is "talking about" you or anyone in particular except to give a chuckle about how it is Same Shit, Different Day over here. No mods, no owner involvement and the Trump thread is active like fucking Princess Kate herself were still here vomiting over the entire board. If anyone is mentioning you, or anyone, it is often in the context of wishing you'd join our reindeer games or just as a funny headshake that would just as soon be posted here but you make it out to be some cowardly mention in secret like the Facebook group that exists(or existed) of past CHUD posters that all their time was spent shitting on Nick and CHUD.

I mean, if you are so above it all, change your notification settings or unsubscribe from the emails. But if your ego is so fucking fragile that you need to continue getting those emails to see who is "talking about you" don't slag off a place that is just trying to salvage what is left of this community in the best way we possibly can find at the moment. Or maybe you're just pissed that the site you set up, then joined Discord to drop a link to, no one signed up for and you can't get over the fact that no one wanted to come by YOUR treehouse.

And on the topic of treehouses let me go ahead and dispel a notion about Discord that some over here may have. This is something I have recently shared with the mods and one other person on Discord but it may end up being the first sentence anyone who joins reads in the Rules channel:

Just because I started this server doesn't mean it is my playground. It belongs to y'all, CHUD. I only want a place for all of us to stay connected no matter what happens to TC/NuCHUD.

I would hope my, and the other mods, actions have shown this to be true. This family has had some dust-ups and we expect they will have more in the future. But apologize and move on, forgive and forget, live and let live are the order of the day. Block if you absolutely can't get along. Most of us have been here for 15+ years and in that time I would think we'd either have learned to recognize schtick and ignore it for what it is or grow the fuck up.
Survival is the name of the game, William. The scruffiest hippie is my messenger...do not expect radiant messengers of light. Expect the flawed, the maimed in body and spirit. It's all a film run backward...the Atom Bomb through the Manhattan Project to the formula...E=MC2.
"But back to my dislike of you"

Phrase of the Day.
(12-19-2018, 01:36 PM)TzuDohNihm Wrote: and the Trump thread is active like fucking Princess Kate herself were still here vomiting over the entire board.

(12-19-2018, 01:41 PM)Mangy Wrote: "But back to my dislike of you"

Phrase of the Day.

This is why I prefer the wasteland of TC. We really let our hair down.
When do the feats of strength start?
Oh, holy hell.

I was never any part of any Facebook group "shitting on" Nick and CHUD, and I haven't been part of any community that does so for years. I think I've gotten good about telling you guys when I think you're full of shit, just like you're all great about telling me when I'm full of shit. I'd rather have it out with you guys HERE - and the proof in the pudding there is I had no idea you had a problem with me at all, Tzu.

I certainly hope you're not expecting me to apologize for being a member of some message board or community or Facebook thread of CHUD ex-pats at some point in the far enough past that Barack Obama was president, though. As far as I know, there are other active, regular members here that also participated on the regular in those gripe sessions, and I thought we had all kind of agreed, as a community, to move past that and acknowledge that it maybe wasn't cool that we were doing that. People have apologized in other threads and to each other, so why is this coming up again?

(Full disclosure, I do occasionally post about this place in the broadest possible terms on my own personal Facebook page because sometimes the circular debates we get into are so wild that it's easier for me to vent to my friends and family about "this place" than, say, argue with commo for the thousandth time that Mark Zuckerberg is a good dude.* I never name names and speak in the broadest possible terms.)

I don't even remember any joke that was made about me joining. I made that site when it seemed like CHUD was going down because I was bored at work. I haven't thought about it since you brought it up! Like, who gives a shit? You seem to be the one dwelling on old grudges, buddy.

My comment about people talking about other people was more pointing out that I get e-mails when my name is mentioned in the chat, despite not being an active participant in it, so let's not act like there's some kind of Chinese Wall between the boards and Discord. If there was, then people wouldn't be talking about me when I wasn't participating. That's all.

To wit, I've done enough shit talking (see above) in my life that I certainly understand that I should be able to take it if I dish it out, which is why I try to do so with one and avoid the other.

And I've enjoyed, for the most part, when I've come into Discord! It seems like a fun place! Judas and I have had some good chats and I gave him some good restaurant recommendations! I liked having that conversation. I'd say I'd never completely feel welcome, but I think that's sort of the issue with Discord generally - I can't be in there all the time, and it's hard to jump in and out of the conversation, whereas it's easier on the boards. That sense of feeling welcome, though? Fully on me.

I'm glad you like Discord, but I'm going to be completely honest, there are two people who are regulars in the chat - one a regular here, and one an ex-poster - that I do not enjoy spending time with. I am not going to name names, but I do not plan on joining the community over there as long as they are active members. I only have enough time for one platform, and the boards are it for the time being.

Also, I can't figure how to turn the fucking sound off because I'm old and the blerps are annoying.

And for fuck's sake, if you guys dislike me that much that you feel the need to bring up old shit from before Trump was President, just fucking say so and tell me to fuck off already. Holy motherforking shirtballs.

In conclusion, Tzu, if you have a problem with me - which, again, big surprise (no sarcasm) - please send me a PM and maybe we can work this out.

*Not an actual debate! A joke!
home taping is killing music
I'm actually very active on the site Boone created.
(12-19-2018, 01:53 PM)boone daniels Wrote:  ...if you have a problem with me - which, again, big surprise (no sarcasm) - please send me a PM and maybe we can work this out.

This.

I've had issues with members on the board before, and almost all of them were resolved via PM.  In many cases, it was simply an issue of reading someone's 'board voice/tone' wrong.  There's honor to be had in extending an olive branch to another poster in an attempt to clear the air and achieve an accord.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is Discord!"
What I have learned is that I should just make fun of myself. If that gets me put in timeout, well, WORTH IT!
(12-19-2018, 02:12 PM)bradito Wrote: What I have learned is that I should just make fun of myself. If that gets me put in timeout, well, WORTH IT!

If you had made the exact same joke you made to Bart to me, I would have laughed and shrugged it off.  You're a guy who makes jokes like that about himself ALL THE TIME. 

The joke itself was not the problem, but rather the persistent repeating of it once it was clearly NOT being perceived as a joke by Bart.  Do you REALLY think all of that was just because you made an off color joke?  If you push a step to far, just say, 'my bad, I'm sorry I upset you' and then move on to something else.  Bart would have cooled down, nothing more would have had to have been said, and all would be well. 

It was also a fairly isolated simple mistake, and not something you intentionally do all the time to hurt people on purpose as far as I can tell.  Not to speak for you or Bart personally, but in general it's something easily forgiven, I'd say.

-Bart
(12-19-2018, 12:25 PM)shaunh Wrote: Saying not to bring baggage over to Discord is disingenuous. People like dumdum literally have years of trolling behavior and a staunch refusal to exhibit even a shred of tact despite people blocking him at every turn. A simple change of platforms doesn't negate that, and choosing to invite him into the discussion was grossly tone deaf.

I don't think "choosing" to invite anyone was ever really a thing was it? I don't think the CHUDiscord was never any kind of exclusive club, it was a lifeboat launched when it looked like the sky was about to fall on CHUD and T-City wasn't a thing yet. As far as I remember Tzu made it 100% open to the public right from the get-go.
Hey Boone! I've talked about you randomly on Discord, but its pretty much the same shit I say here. I'd like to test this e-mail alert thing you have set up... if I just write your name in every thread over there, will your inbox be carpet-bombed?
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(12-19-2018, 02:36 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 12:25 PM)shaunh Wrote: Saying not to bring baggage over to Discord is disingenuous. People like dumdum literally have years of trolling behavior and a staunch refusal to exhibit even a shred of tact despite people blocking him at every turn. A simple change of platforms doesn't negate that, and choosing to invite him into the discussion was grossly tone deaf.

I don't think "choosing" to invite anyone was ever really a thing was it? I don't think the CHUDiscord was never any kind of exclusive club, it was a lifeboat launched when it looked like the sky was about to fall on CHUD and T-City wasn't a thing yet. As far as I remember Tzu made it 100% open to the public right from the get-go.

Perhaps I'm simply under a false impression, but me joining required someone sending an invite which I had to accept in a certain amount of time?
(12-19-2018, 02:06 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is Discord!"

I'm still mad that your "Surprised there is so much animosity on Discord" joke sailed way over my head.

I had no idea the Trump thread had become a contentious issue for certain people who left.
(12-19-2018, 02:21 PM)superlaser Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 02:12 PM)bradito Wrote: What I have learned is that I should just make fun of myself. If that gets me put in timeout, well, WORTH IT!

If you had made the exact same joke you made to Bart to me, I would have laughed and shrugged it off.  You're a guy who makes jokes like that about himself ALL THE TIME. 

The joke itself was not the problem, but rather the persistent repeating of it once it was clearly NOT being perceived as a joke by Bart.  Do you REALLY think all of that was just because you made an off color joke?  If you push a step to far, just say, 'my bad, I'm sorry I upset you' and then move on to something else.  Bart would have cooled down, nothing more would have had to have been said, and all would be well. 

It was also a fairly isolated simple mistake, and not something you intentionally do all the time to hurt people on purpose as far as I can tell.  Not to speak for you or Bart personally, but in general it's something easily forgiven, I'd say.

Not to belabor this any longer (while simultaneously belaboring it), but I didn't just tell the exact same joke over and over. I tweaked it in various absurd ways.

And here's something I'd hoped someone else would bring up, but no one has. So I'll bring it up: Brad Millette (no relation) trolled Bart spectacularly in a thread that Bart had created about some crumbling relationship of his. That thread comes up in conversation every once in a while and is remembered fondly by everyone who participated, even Bart.

That being said, due to Bart's proclivity to inquire about people's sex lives when he's run out of things to say about movies he hasn't seen, and his apparent good nature about being the butt of a joke, I didn't think it'd be out of bounds for me to make a schoolyard comeback. I was clearly mistaken and shouldn't have twisted the knife.

But again, how was I supposed to know he would be so sensitive? I mean, I know now.
I'm calling bullshit on that response, Brad. I don't have time to respond in detail ATM, though. I've now seen a good portion of the Discord exchanges and the tone and context is fundamentally different from the old Friends with Exes thread. Beginning with Bart's explicit (and polite) request in Discord for you to stop.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Well, fair enough.

He ain't gonna ask anyone if they fuck anymore, tho.
There was no malice in what Millette did in that thread. That is why Bart embraced it and it is remembered so fondly.
Okay.
I will sign back up to Discord tonight. I gotta see these insults!
I'll put the convo in my sig.

I AM KIDDING EVERYONE!
This is bumming me the hell out..
What's the big controversy about Trumpocalypse? I mean, I get how an actual Trump supporter would be offended by it, but then Trump supporters are aggrieved at most things in the modern world, that's kind of their whole thing. If you're more an apolitical sort, it seems pretty easy to avoid.
Honestly, it wasn't as serious as we're all making it out to be. There's some legitimately hurt feelings all around and I don't want to minimize that, but it's nothing that hasn't happened on the board many times before or that a little time and a few apologies won't fix. Having the same people interacting in both a moderated and unmoderated space can cause some friction because there's going to be different handling of issues.

At this point, I think we've all said pretty much everything there is to say on the matter though.

-Bart
If we're gonna talk about Discord, it might, you know, be good to have a link so people can actually join discord.
home taping is killing music
If someone wants a link, they can ask for it. You can thank other chewers for ruining a running, open link.
Letterboxd Profile: https://letterboxd.com/wd40/

I often feel like I'm stuck in this weird film fan no man's land. Too picky and alert for the proles, too accepting for the bourgeoisie.
-MichaelM

Normal people have such nuanced bad taste.
-Bradito
I won't be providing a link to boone's site, where it's just me and I get on my own nerves.
Anyone already on discord has the ability to send an invite link. I’ll happily be the guy. PM me and I’ll get it to you.

-Bart
I still want to know what the people who were run oft by the Trumpocalypse thread think it was supposed/should be.
Trumpocalypse is my fave thread, so it wasn't me.
I think it’s more people needing a break from the super-concentrated horror/cynicism than anyone thinking the thread ‘should be’ something different.  Like, they personally burnt out on it rather than an issue with the thread itself. 

I still check it pretty much daily so...

-Bart