Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
(02-15-2019, 07:49 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: This post started out as a reply to HPs about the swastika but my phone started acting fucky and messed it up.

I have an old family keepsake that I have mixed feelings about. It's a bookend with an engraving of a Native American on it. And a swastika in the corner. Very peculiar. Seems contradictory to say the least. It's Cherokee if I'm not mistaken, but I might be because I'm Choctaw. My grandfather was in the Navy in WWII. He found this bookend partially submerged in seawater in the lowest part of a slowly sinking ship they'd been ordered to search and clear (it was abandoned) and try to do something with before it sank/prevent it from sinking in order to salvage. This was 1941-42....and this bookend was old as shit THEN. I asked many people why a swastika would be on a Native American bookend. The eldest folks I showed it to almost unanimously came to the same conclusion. That it used to mean something peaceful. A symbol of a spirit's unity with the four elements. Or something.

Anyways....I'm not posting, trying to argue that a man sporting a swastika these days means anything other than exactly what you probably assume it does. But I got real mixed feelings about keeping this thing even though it was probably made prior to 1910. If not older. In other words....I don't think it was made with any sort of bad intentions. But a swastika is a swastika. What do y'all think?

Given the age of the bookend, it was most likely meant as a peaceful symbol...which was precisely why it was co-opted by the Nazis:

https://www.historyhit.com/what-does-the...tika-mean/
Matt Schlapp, human troglodyte and current White House staffer, tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1096180928420950017
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

(02-15-2019, 06:06 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:46 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Today at my retail job a perfectly normal-looking customer took out his wallet to pay and I noticed he had some kind of Nazi party membership card in his wallet. At least that's what I think it said. I definitely didn't miss the Swastika.

I hate that Trump has normalized this kind of bullshit.

Check out this one:

https://twitter.com/APWestRegion/status/...7438966785

“I am not shocked, and I am not surprised at today’s reporting of Lt. Jeff Niiya’s collaboration with Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson over text to provide aid and support for their hate marches,” Councilwoman Jo Ann Hardesty said in a statement.

Willamette Week obtained text messages through a public records request between Niiya and Gibson. The texts purportedly show Niiya had a friendly rapport with Gibson, frequently discussing Gibson’s plans to demonstrate.

In one text reported by the newspaper, Niiya tells Gibson that he doesn’t see a need to arrest his assistant, Tusitala Toese, who often brawls with antifascist protesters, even if he has a warrant, unless Toese commits a new crime. "I don’t see a need to arrest on the warrant unless there is a reason.”

I'm no lawyer, but isn't a warrant in and of itself, oh, REASON FOR ARREST?

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
In a society that followed the rule of law, sure.
Quote:Federal prosecutors on Friday called Paul Manafort’s tax and bank fraud “serious, longstanding, and bold” but did not recommend a specific punishment for his convictions in Virginia.

Federal guidelines call for President Trump’s onetime campaign chairman to spend 19 to a little more than 24 years in prison, the prosecutors noted Friday in a sentencing memo filed in federal court in Alexandria. They said the range was properly calculated by Manafort’s probation officer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/leg...d37f10917d

...YEARS, motherfucker!
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
One down, a shitton to go.
(02-15-2019, 07:49 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: This post started out as a reply to HPs about the swastika but my phone started acting fucky and messed it up.

I have an old family keepsake that I have mixed feelings about. It's a bookend with an engraving of a Native American on it. And a swastika in the corner. Very peculiar. Seems contradictory to say the least. It's Cherokee if I'm not mistaken, but I might be because I'm Choctaw. My grandfather was in the Navy in WWII. He found this bookend partially submerged in seawater in the lowest part of a slowly sinking ship they'd been ordered to search and clear (it was abandoned) and try to do something with before it sank/prevent it from sinking in order to salvage. This was 1941-42....and this bookend was old as shit THEN. I asked many people why a swastika would be on a Native American bookend. The eldest folks I showed it to almost unanimously came to the same conclusion. That it used to mean something peaceful. A symbol of a spirit's unity with the four elements. Or something.

Anyways....I'm not posting, trying to argue that a man sporting a swastika these days means anything other than exactly what you probably assume it does. But I got real mixed feelings about keeping this thing even though it was probably made prior to 1910. If not older. In other words....I don't think it was made with any sort of bad intentions. But a swastika is a swastika. What do y'all think?

The swastika's been around for at least 7,000 years, and multiple cultures across the globe used it, primarly as a symbol of change/cycles/etc. The Nazis co-opted it because it was so universal, and added the tilt to make it their brand. Go to Asia and you will find numerous swastikas at any given Buddhist Temple. There were Native American cultures that used it -- my students always react with surprise when I show them pictures of Mogollon pottery with the swastika on it.
(02-15-2019, 07:49 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: This post started out as a reply to HPs about the swastika but my phone started acting fucky and messed it up.

Do they know where it came from? As mentioned, the swastika is old and you find it all over Hindu stuff sometimes. But there's a weird confluence in the early 20th century. There were quasi New Age spiritualist movements around that time and for them it was a symbol of hope and untiy. There was also a peculiar obsession with Native Americans in Germany for a while there (which might explain why it's hard to tell which tribe it's supposed to be).
These two things go together quite nicely and the Nazis tried to tap into both.
Generally speaking the specifically Nazi swastika stands on its point, where other one's sit square. It's not always true but it might be one way to tell if it's a Nazi one or a general German spiritualist artifact. (of course, it could be something else entirely)
It was originally a symbol of balance and brotherhood. But you don't see me pulling out Bill Cosby comedy albums these days either.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
It's just a question of whether I should get rid of it on moral and ethical grounds or not feel so bad about an odd artifact that's god knows how old. I'll try to find it and put up a picture. It fascinates me because of how old it is. And I've looked around the internet and never found anything else that looks like it.

...and to be clear, it's not literally out on my shelf being used where anyone can see it. It's out of sight..

Also...I appreciate the reasoned (and informative!) responses. I was afraid of a knee-jerk "WTF is wrong with you for having that?" reaction..
No reason to get rid of a family historic artifact. Owning it doesn't mean you support Nazi idealogy.
Actual Fox News talking point: Beto O’Rourke talks about tearing down walls, and yet he lives in a house supported by walls.

https://mobile.twitter.com/revrrlewis/st...6596442112
Conservative politics sure are something nowadays:

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/10...9543051264

Quote:If we're going to have some doofus named Jared running our immigration policy, I'd prefer that it be that pederast from the Subway ads.
The world has gone mad..
Ann simply isn't seeing the Twitter followers/book sales/etc that she thinks she should be getting, so she's trying to stake out more ridiculous territory to get attention. She's a publicity whore, and this is just the next logical step.
Anndrew Dice Coulter
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(02-16-2019, 12:26 PM)sean blackwell Wrote: Ann simply isn't seeing the Twitter followers/book sales/etc that she thinks she should be getting, so she's trying to stake out more ridiculous territory to get attention.  She's a publicity whore, and this is just the next logical step.

Pretty much. It doesn't matter how many insults she throws at Trump, because at the end of the day she's still the author of In Trump We Trust.
So who plays Coulter in the movie? Obviously it would require an actress who could really capture that "mad old bag of bones who will never know the love of another human being" quality. So Tilda Swinton, maybe? If only Grace Zabriskie was a couple decades younger...
Jack Skelington in a wig.

Nevermind, he's too likeable and capable of joy.
(02-16-2019, 12:26 PM)sean blackwell Wrote: Ann simply isn't seeing the Twitter followers/book sales/etc that she thinks she should be getting, so she's trying to stake out more ridiculous territory to get attention. She's a publicity whore, and this is just the next logical step.

Yeah she does the professional wrestling version of politics. Really it's incredible she lasted this long given how many others like her that cropped up. I guess it does take some weird supernatural endurance to be hated that much for that long.

(02-16-2019, 01:23 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: So who plays Coulter in the movie? Obviously it would require an actress who could really capture that "mad old bag of bones who will never know the love of another human being" quality.
Jimmy JJ Walker
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(02-16-2019, 01:30 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Jimmy JJ Walker

Who would have better insight than her ex-boyfriend?

[Image: 04-jimmie-walker-coulter.w330.h330.jpg]
I posted recently about how farmers are seeing lower, yearly incomes under Trump.  Now, here's an article about Chapter 12 filings doubling since 2008 in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-one-he...1549468759

Quote:A wave of bankruptcies is sweeping the U.S. Farm Belt as trade disputes add pain to the low commodity prices that have been grinding down American farmers for years.

Throughout much of the Midwest, U.S. farmers are filing for chapter 12 bankruptcy protection at levels not seen for at least a decade, a Wall Street Journal review of federal data shows.
(02-16-2019, 05:28 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: I posted recently about how farmers are seeing lower, yearly incomes under Trump.  Now, here's an article about Chapter 12 filings doubling since 2008 in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-one-he...1549468759

Quote:A wave of bankruptcies is sweeping the U.S. Farm Belt as trade disputes add pain to the low commodity prices that have been grinding down American farmers for years.

Throughout much of the Midwest, U.S. farmers are filing for chapter 12 bankruptcy protection at levels not seen for at least a decade, a Wall Street Journal review of federal data shows.

And yet these farmers will still vote Republicans, so I can't say I feel sorry for them.

"Jesus Christ! You've got some problems! First the balls, now my death!" - Daniel Craig

Quote:And yet these farmers will still vote Republicans, so I can't say I feel sorry for them.

Yep.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Hell, I remember the Iowa dairy farmers, who considered the illegals working on their farms to be like family and essential to avoiding bankruptcy, expressed doubt they would vote for Trump again...

Then they re-elected Steve King.

Until they wake up, they can keep eating the shit they serve up for themselves.

We consider selfishness to be a bad thing, but these people desperately need a little more of it. It's too much to hope for selflessness from them, but selfishness would be an improvement over what currently drives their voting: malevolence.
Gamertag: Tweakee
The Crypt Keeper puppet is my choice to play Ann Coulter. Just because its the obvious joke doesn't mean there isn't a hint of truth to it.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
[quote pid='4587737' dateline='1550341401']
Mangy Wrote:[Image: 04-jimmie-walker-coulter.w330.h330.jpg]

[Image: f4708c56e4ce4a495aaa2178b962f893.jpg]
Eight immigrant families have filed lawsuits against the Trump administration, each demanding $6,000,000 in damages for what they describe as the "inexplicable cruelty" and lasting trauma to their children:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019...separation

Quote:In claims filed to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Homeland Security, released on Monday, the parents accuse immigration officers of taking their children away without giving them information, sometimes without even a chance to say goodbye.

The claims allege the children remain traumatized, including a seven-year-old girl who will not sleep without her mother and a six-year-old boy who is reluctant to eat.

Stanton Jones, an attorney representing some of the plaintiffs, warned the Trump administration that other families caught up in the government’s policy of “zero tolerance” for unlawful border crossings, which resulted in parents being forcibly divided from their children and held in detention separately, are getting ready to sue.
Earlier in the week, Pumpkins graced the world with his best Chinaman accent while doing an impression of the Chinese President... and now... uhh... this:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-abe...a79942d86d

Quote:President Donald Trump said Friday that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has nominated him for a Nobel Peace Prize because Trump said he made Japan “feel safe” after his negotiations with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

“They gave it to Obama. He didn’t even know what he got it for. He was there for about 15 seconds and he got the Nobel Prize,” Trump groused in the Rose Garden. “He said, ‘Oh, what did I get it for?’ With me, I probably will never get it.”

The president was nominated for the prize in 2017 and 2018, but the Nobel Committee determined that both nominations were “forged.”

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said last year that he believed Trump should win a Nobel for his negotiations with Kim. “It is possible that Trump confused Abe and Moon in the retelling,” the Nikkei Asian Review noted.

Our next President has two options when meeting with foreign leaders:

1) Beg forgiveness on behalf of their dotard nation.
or
2) Puff out their chest and bask in the adulation and love showered on them simply for not being a walking dildo.
Gamertag: Tweakee
He doesn't pay attention to stuff real close. Somebody nominate him for the No balls/Penis Prize for contributions to inhumanity. Have an actual ceremony. Somewhere white trashy like a Golden Corral and watch him fucking show up..
Trump thinks those pesky "SNL" people should be "looked into" for those jokes they tell:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...2279316480

Quote:Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!
I love it when "S&L" makes Trump so angry that he has to tweet about it. Trump is the biggest snowflake in the world.

"Jesus Christ! You've got some problems! First the balls, now my death!" - Daniel Craig

Well, seeing as how he doesn't realize the 25th Amendment is part of the Constitution, it makes sense he'd be fuzzy on the 1st.
Just this guy, you know?
(02-17-2019, 09:50 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Trump thinks those pesky "SNL" people should be "looked into" for those jokes they tell:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/stat...2279316480

Quote:Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!

But guys...I have it on authority that it's the left that wants to take away yur freedoms.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
They should do a sketch where Baldwin's on the shitter during "Executive Time" and rage-tweeting about SNL.