Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Terrible Movie Ideas.

I've been messing around in my head/fantasy cast world with a movie set in the 1970s Southern California music scene, focused on those singer-songwriters and the Troubadour/Asylum Records. I've never really been able to properly cast some of the big, big names, but a few weeks ago, I thought about Anatol Yusef for Warren Zevon and today the next piece fell into place:

Tessa Thompson as Linda Ronstadt.

home taping is killing music
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

I've been messing around in my head/fantasy cast world with a movie set in the 1970s Southern California music scene, focused on those singer-songwriters and the Troubadour/Asylum Records. I've never really been able to properly cast some of the big, big names, but a few weeks ago, I thought about Anatol Yusef for Warren Zevon and today the next piece fell into place:

Tessa Thompson as Linda Ronstadt.

​How about Tom Waits playing himself? No make-up, no digital de-aging, just Tom.

"Oh hi, I'm Hollywood Steve..."

The fact that there's a movie with the title Pottersville​ started this kicking around my head:

It's the Christmas season in Pottersville, NY, 1951. The old man himself, Henry F. Potter, is found murdered.  Suspicion falls on the mystery man who once identified himself as George Bailey, recently released from a six-year stay in an asylum. Hounded by hard-nosed, trigger-happy cop Bert, George races to clear his name, aided by embittered streetwalker Violet Bick. He also receives the unsolicited help of eccentric vagrant Clarence, who seems determined to push George back to his old delusions of a life he never lived. Or, are they really delusions?

AEven though Manos: The Hands of Fate is considered one of the worst movies of all time, I always thought its basic premise could work as a good slow-burn horror movie. Just get Ti West to direct.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
AI always thought that if I ever had the chance to make a movie.....I'd like to make an over the top dead serious dark, gruesome remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space..
A[quote name="HP Pufncraft" url="/community/t/101152/your-terrible-movie-ideas/350#post_4429739"]Even though Manos: The Hands of Fate is considered one of the worst movies of all time, I always thought its basic premise could work as a good slow-burn horror movie. Just get Ti West to direct.[/quote]
Yeah. The ass-end of the American southwest is fertile ground for horror stories, especially if you keep the period setting (see: half of anything Richard Matheson wrote.) I'd love to see such a thing.
AMinimalist East Texas horror film:

HUMIDITY
A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/101152/your-terrible-movie-ideas/330#post_4429772"]I always thought that if I ever had the chance to make a movie.....I'd like to make an over the top dead serious dark, gruesome remake of Plan 9 from Outer Space..[/quote]

"Aliens set off a zombie outbreak on Earth to prevent the invention of an interstellar weapon" does sound like a Blacklist-worthy high concept logline.
AI'm thinkin' The Arrival meets Dawn of the Dead with a little Abyss..
Quote:

Originally Posted by HP Pufncraft View Post

Even though Manos: The Hands of Fate is considered one of the worst movies of all time, I always thought its basic premise could work as a good slow-burn horror movie. Just get Ti West to direct.

Torgo could be a real breakout role for some character actor.

With the opioid crisis in the headlines pretty consistently, I keep wondering if there'll ever be a TRAFFIC meets ERIN BROCKOVICH style legal thriller/epic about the epidemic. I keep hearing Chris Evans, as the dogged attorney, deliver this monologue: 

"This is an entire generation of men...and women...and families...laid low...and they didn't care..they just kept pushing and pushing and PUSHING and now millions are dead! Millions!"

home taping is killing music

I watched Gremlins a couple of weeks ago, and I had a "great" idea for the sequel they keep threatening to make. It can be a spinoff of Rockin Ricky Rialto and the hell that radio station goes through the night the Gremlins attack. Imagine something in the vein of Pontypool in a way, and you get the drift. It would make so much money.

AIndiana Jones and the Realm of the Demon (or whatever)

Kevin Costner as Indy's brother
Tom Hardy as Mutt
Mads Mikkelsen as an Aleister Crowley/Anton Lavey-ish figure who is the leader of a 60s era demonic cult..
AI once a few years ago began to write a single sentence pitch in this thread for a dark comedy I was jokingly calling “Shag Me to Hell.”

I liked it so much that I expanded on it. When I reached the 8th paragraph I realized the pitch had turned into a treatment. I then copied and pasted it into a document, finished it and never ended up posting it in here. This is because sometimes a joke terrible movie idea turns out to be good movie idea when one fully considers it. I’m not going to post the treatment here, since it will most likely be the next script I try to write (it’s remarkably low budget, only needing four characters and two locations, could even be a play really).

Anyway I’m posting this because I always meant to post the title “Shag Me to Hell” in this thread since it became readily apparent after finishing the treatment that it was no longer an appropriate title for the story and the title still belonged in this thread. So someone else can have go at it if they want, maybe it will even inspire another person to start a joke that turns into a treatment that never actually gets posted.
I watched the Police Academy movies.

All of them. That series was to comedy what Friday the 13th was to horror where there was one every year come hell or high water. It even ended with one throwing a city in the title (Mission to Moscow/Jason Takes Manhattan).

But it should've kept going.

Police Academy Goes to Hell

Police Academy X (where they all become RoboCadets or Judge Dredds or something).

Police Academy vs.....what....House Party? Ernest?

...and then the inevitable gritty reboot since cops aren't even possibly funny anymore and would be the most in poor taste thing ever..
Feel like there’s a Police Academy/Cop Rock melding waiting to happen.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I watched the Patrick Williams video essay on why music bios are all lame because they all follow the same formula. He suggested focusing on one time on an artists career to avoid all that. So my idea of a rock bio pic is the making of Bat Out Of Hell. Its sounds like nothing else that was big in 78: Kiss, The Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, The Clash etc. Meat Loaf and Steinman had trouble selling it to a label. It was actually recorded before they had a record deal. It was also recorded in an haunted house. Finally the movie would climax with Meat Loaf playing before a room of CBS record executives. According to Meat Loaf after they played for Crying Out Loud the room was silent and then all these suits went ballistic with applause.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
I was an intern for IFP at the Spirit Awards in '05 and met Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was out back behind the main tent smoking, and I pitched to him a movie where he, John C. Reilly, and William H. Macy were all playing themselves and all competing for the affections of Naomi Watts. It was called PHILIP C. MACY. That was it, that was the whole pitch.

He paused after a drag, nodded, and said, "Yeah, sounds pretty good."

I don't know for sure if Hoffman was a kind person, but I'm inclined to say that he was.
the empire never ended
Sounds like my idea for Charlie Kaufman’s David Keith David.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(09-09-2018, 07:16 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I watched the Police Academy movies.

All of them. That series was to comedy what Friday the 13th was to horror where there was one every year come hell or high water. It even ended with one throwing a city in the title (Mission to Moscow/Jason Takes Manhattan).

But it should've kept going.

Police Academy Goes to Hell

Police Academy X (where they all become RoboCadets or Judge Dredds or something).

Police Academy vs.....what....House Party? Ernest?

...and then the inevitable gritty reboot since cops aren't even possibly funny anymore and would be the most in poor taste thing ever..

Policy Academy vs Police Story
Police Academy vs Police Squad
Police Academy vs Barbershop
Police Academy vs Beethoven
Police Academy vs Herbie
Police Academy vs ACLU*

*That one covers your final request, I think.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(02-24-2018, 03:53 PM)Tim K Wrote: AI once a few years ago began to write a single sentence pitch in this thread for a dark comedy I was jokingly calling “Shag Me to Hell.”

I liked it so much that I expanded on it. When I reached the 8th paragraph I realized the pitch had turned into a treatment. I then copied and pasted it into a document, finished it and never ended up posting it in here. This is because sometimes a joke terrible movie idea turns out to be good movie idea when one fully considers it.  I’m not going to post the treatment here, since it will most likely be the next script I try to write (it’s remarkably low budget, only needing four characters and two locations, could even be a play really).

Anyway I’m posting this because I always meant to post the title “Shag Me to Hell” in this thread since it became readily apparent after finishing the treatment that it was no longer an appropriate title for the story and the title still belonged in this thread. So someone else can have go at it if they want, maybe it will even inspire another person to start a joke that turns into a treatment that never actually gets posted.

I misread this, and now I'm dying for a movie called "Shaq Me to Hell."
I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind.

--Will Durant
(03-07-2019, 02:52 PM)frankcobretti Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 03:53 PM)Tim K Wrote: AI once a few years ago began to write a single sentence pitch in this thread for a dark comedy I was jokingly calling “Shag Me to Hell.”

I liked it so much that I expanded on it. When I reached the 8th paragraph I realized the pitch had turned into a treatment. I then copied and pasted it into a document, finished it and never ended up posting it in here. This is because sometimes a joke terrible movie idea turns out to be good movie idea when one fully considers it.  I’m not going to post the treatment here, since it will most likely be the next script I try to write (it’s remarkably low budget, only needing four characters and two locations, could even be a play really).

I misread this, and now I'm dying for a movie called "Shaq Me to Hell."

This reminds me of my horrible idea for a videogame sequel to Shaq-Fu, starring William Shatner.
Shat-Fu.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
John Woo directs BORN HARD BOILED starring Chow Yun-Fat as Tequila and Ludi Lin or Joe Taslim as his new partner....the baby he saved at the end of the original.

I'm giving Hard Boiled a rewatch and this just popped into my head..

Not to get political or anything, but...

How about a horror movie about vaccines where all the goddamn conspiracies are true? Like, David Cronenberg-style fuckin' body horror. Oh, and some Tetsuo: The Iron Man flavor because of the Bill Gates Microchips.

Pitch that mother to one of those faith-based production companies and put all those dumbass C-listers like Sorbo and Baio in it. Jon Voight can be the president.

"Fauci Ouchie, My Ass"

Christmas 2022