Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
West Side Story Pre-Release Discussion (Spielberg ... 2020?) sponsored by Overlord
As requested by Bucho.

Not sure how you change this film to make it relevant to modern audiences without changing it so much it basically becomes an "inspired by" production.
Well played, sir. Well played.

*Emelia Clark GIF tbd*
home taping is killing music
I bet this will be an "inspired" by contemporary spin on the original. No way they're doing a straight up new version of the original.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(11-06-2018, 01:01 AM)headless fett Wrote: I bet this will be an "inspired" by contemporary spin on the original. No way they're doing a straight up new version of the original.

I just don't see songs like "America" and "Office Krupke" working outside the period though.  At least not as originally written; I guess they could always tweak the lyrics to update them, but that's going to outrage the purists.
Just this guy, you know?
Rumors floating around Tinseltown, etc. that we should be getting an official casting update on at least another major role (probably Maria?) real soon.

Camila Cabello just denied that she is playing Maria over the last 24-36 hours or so. Kind of figured she was the frontrunner.
My gut tells me they backed up a truck to Ariana Grande's house in order to keep her off WICKED.

Also, this is not going to be updated. It's a period piece.

Just realized who it could very likely be - Gizel Jimenez, who tore it up earlier this year in NY and LA in a musical called "Miss You Like Hell": 

This rumor just blossomed about half an hour or so ago but it seems to make a good deal of sense as a possibility for Anita:

http://www.slashfilm.com/west-side-story...-gonzalez/
I mean, not doing brown face alone will set this apart from the original.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
If they want it to be unique and different, call it East Side Story.

EAST SAYIIIIIIIIID!
Git' in under mah belly!
Eastbound Story- a Kenny Powers musical!

Printing money!
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Now that I read that article about Spielberg putting together a Baby Driver reunion with this and the same article floated the idea of Jon Hamm in Simon Oakland's role of Lieutenant Schrank, I can't get that casting idea out of my head. That's an intriguing possibility, even if Hamm's arguably too good-looking for the part. But then I kind of like the idea of a handsome lieutenant saying these nasty, vile things, kind of the way Clint Eastwood thought it was clever to cast a tall man in Tim Robbins for the part of Dave Boyle in Mystic River because he was seemingly always cowed from his past, hunched over. (Not that I love that film, but I think that bit of casting was pretty smart.)
Michael Shannon is the only acceptable choice for Officer Krupke.
(11-09-2018, 11:09 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Michael Shannon is the only acceptable choice for Officer Krupke.

Yes!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(11-08-2018, 10:03 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: If they want it to be unique and different, call it East Side Story.

EAST SAYIIIIIIIIID!

Yep, that's the answer.  The Lower East Side Story, starring Rosario Dawson, who is from there.

Not sure who the gangs would represent.  I mean, there are dominicans, puerto ricans, and yuppie gentrifiers, and older eastern european influences.  Not sure if the skinny rockers are still around now that CBGBs closed.
I saw Jay Leno driving an antique convertible through Malibu Canyon.  Doin' the werewolves of London.
(11-09-2018, 11:09 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Michael Shannon is the only acceptable choice for Officer Krupke.

Iffy news:  They're replacing Doc with an original character named Valentina.

Good news:  She's being played by Rita Fucking Moreno.
Just this guy, you know?
OK, that's really cool.
I imagine she's a re-imagined Nurse as opposed to Doc's re-imagined Friar.
Just this guy, you know?
I like it.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Looks like Moreno won't just be appearing in it, she's an executive producer as well - that's neat.
The team behind IN THE HEIGHTS must be piiiiiiiiissssssed.
Looks like we're probably at least a good two months or more from an announcement concerning the casting of Maria, based on this news:

http://www.playbill.com/article/new-west...-its-maria
I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe that they're ultimately going to fill the Maria part with a complete unknown to audiences, not for name value reasons, but because I think you really want a performer who can nail the dramatic moments, not just the singing and/or dancing.

And really, Maria doesn't traditionally have terribly elaborate dance numbers; those are really reserved for the Jets and the Sharks. Though I guess the mandate to find someone with a "strong dance background" might imply this version is giving the character something more demanding on the dancing front...
Got a certain thing going on with my legs that I'm dealing with, one of the many reasons I have literally not been online in a week.

I go online for a minute and I see this news. I am blessed!

http://deadline.com/2019/01/steven-spiel...202535002/

Love it.

Spielberg and co. going for sheer talent, apparently. Was just wondering earlier this morning whether or not this would be star-studded. Glad that it ostensibly will not be.
There's video floating around of the new Maria singing, and she's definitely got pipes. So that's good.

I still feel like I'll be seeing this movie kind of under protest, but I really am hoping for the best.
(01-14-2019, 09:40 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: There's video floating around of the new Maria singing, and she's definitely got pipes.  So that's good.

I still feel like I'll be seeing this movie kind of under protest, but I really am hoping for the best.

Just curious as to why! Smile
I don't think it's a movie that needs to be made, nor do I think it has a chance of improving upon the original in any way except possibly some of the performances.

But it's Spielberg, my favorite director, so I have to see it!
Haha. Looking forward to corresponding when it is finally released. If nothing else you can celebrate as the odds are he will move on to Indy 5 shortly thereafter.

(Actually by the time West Side Story is released he will probably have already moved on to Indy 5 but it sounded almost vaguely poetic so let's roll with it.)
Posting this as it is a terrific look at newcomer Rachel Zegler (Maria) and her singing talent. The full version of the Lady Gaga song "Shallow" is stromg just like that short clip that has been traveling through the Internet the past week now.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/f...y-1.815606
Just... why, Steven?

Spielberg's way up there on the list of "Directors I Love Who Also Choose a Ton of Projects That I Wish They Wouldn't"
the empire never ended
perhaps he'll eventually sign on and make a marble cinnamon movie!

just for you!
http://deadline.com/2019/03/corey-stoll-...202578409/

Corey Stoll is a fine pick for Lt. Schrank.

Sorry that Michael Shannon could not score the Officer Krupke role, boone!
He is, I love Stoll!

I actually totally forgot that this thing was happening.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

D'Arcy James - or as the cool theater kids call him, BDJ - is a great choice in lieu of Shannon.
I’ll wait until it hits Netflix.