Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Thanks
So Unfriended: Dark Web is actually pretty good for what it is. Slightly more realistic than a ghost wanting revenge. It has kind of a dumb ending but they all do.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
The trailer for Dark Web reminded me of The Den, which is creepy as hell.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
(04-13-2019, 12:52 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: The trailer for Dark Web reminded me of The Den, which is creepy as hell.

The films are similar.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
The Den is a much better movie.

Loved the first Unfriended but didn't care for the sequel at all. Don't try to Black Mirror at home, kids.
Ehh I wouldn't call it Black Mirrory.
hey, Waaaaaaaaalt: I think of you as the board's resident Blu-ray expert> It's a little late to ask this, because I've already been on a 6 month spending spree, but are there any Shout/ Scream Factory discs to avoid - ones that look like garbage to your eyes?

I think you mentioned DOG SOLDIES before. I also heard bad things about BLADE/ BLADE II. I've been happy with the quality of most, but bought an old DVD copy of PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE after someone did a screen shot comparison, and it was striking how much the HD transfer was altered.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(04-13-2019, 02:26 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: hey, Waaaaaaaaalt: I think of you as the board's resident Blu-ray expert> It's a little late to ask this, because I've already been on a 6 month spending spree, but are there any Shout/ Scream Factory discs to avoid - ones that look like garbage to your eyes?

I think you mentioned DOG SOLDIES before. I also heard bad things about BLADE/ BLADE II. I've been happy with the quality of most, but bought an old DVD copy of PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE after someone did a screen shot comparison, and it was striking how much the HD transfer was altered.

Yeah Dog Soldiers is terrible but the other Blu-ray is too. You are better off with the German disc but it's wildly expensive and region B locked. The 4K German Disc is of course Region Free.

They Live is slathered in DNR and bad decoding. Again they got a really nice remaster in the UK but again it's Region B.

Lord of Illusions is actually ok but the German disc is better and is actually region free, I recommend it.

Darkman has a DNR problem and so does it's Universal counterpart. The German version is just slightly better but....Region B...noticing a pattern?

Mad Max has some bad encoding. Just get the standard MGM disc and save some money.

I know there are a couple more but the not so good ones I have dealt with personally.
Well, thanks you helped me dodge a bullet on THEY LIVE. I guess only intriguing thing is commentary.

I've fallen back in love with those old first generation WB snapper discs - especially for genre films. ROAD WARRIOR has original alternate aspect ratio opening/ WB logo and this awesome amount of dirt and grain. Feels like watching it in a grindhouse theatre with a print that made the rounds/ has a history. And at least with my set up, sometimes the old 2 channel or mono track packs more punch.

A mildly amusing side note: about 2 months ago I blew out my old sound bar with the DTS track on my BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA DVD!

(during the gang war kung fu battle)

Blade and Blade II are bad? I thought they both looked AWESOME.

If you get the Canadian Alliance discs, they're bad. You should be able to find the good ones at many a Dollar General.

What's Blade/Blade II got to do with Shout? Are they putting those out?
Blade 1 and 2 are fine and not from Shout.
I thought Shout might've announced them and it just hadn't made it to Blu-ray.com yet.

I'd double-dip for those two. Especially if Shout made them their inaugural 4K disc titles. ..hoping Shout/Scream get into the new format PERIOD. Kino going 4K with Hannibal gives one hope..
(04-13-2019, 09:11 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I thought Shout might've announced them and it just hadn't made it to Blu-ray.com yet.

I'd double-dip for those two. Especially if Shout made them their inaugural 4K disc titles. ..hoping Shout/Scream get into the new format PERIOD. Kino going 4K with Hannibal gives one hope..

Ehh careful. Shout is just NOW finally getting their encoding up to snuff and still making all kinds of errors that they have to issue replacement discs for. Like I have the They Live 4K disc from the UK. I think Shout still has the rights. If they ever did do a 4K disc I bet the UK version would still look better. 4K is still new and even the major studios aren't perfect witht he handling of HDR and what not so I can't imagine Shout won't fuck that up.

Kino has stated that Hannibal is a test run. Apparently the preorders are good but not great so they will not be moving forward with their second 4K title, Valkyrie.
So that's it for Kino? Just like that?
(04-13-2019, 09:17 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: So that's it for Kino? Just like that?

Well Hannibal hasn't been released and I imagine they will go over their overall sales numbers and not just the preorder numbers but Valkyrie isn't coming out like they were planning. They said they are still figuring things out but I wouldn't call this a good sign which is a shame. I was hoping they could do the Dollars Trilogy in 4K and FINALLY get the color timing right. Their blu of For A Few Dollars More looks great. If they did a true 4K release of the other 2 then they may actually fix them.
Yeah, I was thinking Hannibal was a kinda weird one to test this out on. I'd have thought The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would have been more appropriate (I love their blu release of it BTW...theatrical version! finally!).

Ya know....a film that's considered VITAL to the collector and main stream alike..
Well TGTBATU if not fixed is a controversial choice. See they tried to fix the overly yellow master and it does look better but it's still not the right color timing. There was quite a bit of push back so they probably feared that again. Unless they are willing to get the pre color timed files and spend the money then they probably shouldn't bother.
I'm all for correct color timing and less DNR and all that good stuff, and I'll double dip if everyone is like "yo! this is THE best disc of whatever film." But at some point, I gotta just stick with one and be happy because it all looks so fantastic now anyway. These youngsters just don't understand. If you don't know what tracking was then just let the adults talk, embryo. First world problems like muh-fucka up in here Tongue

I can't imagine another GoodBadUgly being released. I thought it was fixed after cooling it off. I mean...the previous one I thought looked great, too but it WAS a little....hot. Everyone's face looked like the Ark of the Covenant..
The latest episode of Nick & Co.'s Movie Microscope podcast inspired me to watch The Horror Show (1989) starring Lance Henriksen and Brion James. What a crazy film, even by 80's slasher standards. It's like a coke-fueled mashup of Lethal Weapon, Shocker, and Nightmare on Elm Street. Highly enjoyable if you're in the right mood.
The Horror Show also has the distinction of being the third film in the "House" series (or at least it was marketed that way).
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
(04-13-2019, 10:03 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I'm all for correct color timing and less DNR and all that good stuff, and I'll double dip if everyone is like "yo! this is THE best disc of whatever film." But at some point, I gotta just stick with one and be happy because it all looks so fantastic now anyway. These youngsters just don't understand. If you don't know what tracking was then just let the adults talk, embryo. First world problems like muh-fucka up in here Tongue

I can't imagine another GoodBadUgly being released. I thought it was fixed after cooling it off. I mean...the previous one I thought looked great, too but it WAS a little....hot. Everyone's face looked like the Ark of the Covenant..

It's not fixed but it's the best it's going to look for another 5 years or so until Kino loses the rights and someone like Arrow puts in the proper care.
(04-14-2019, 10:18 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: The Horror Show also has the distinction of being the third film in the "House" series (or at least it was marketed that way).

In countries aside from the US, yes.  Gore-wise, it's kinda disappointing.  The Fangoria issue about it had photos for extra grue that never made it into the finished film.  Lance and Brion James (with solid support from Thom Bray and Rita Taggert) buoy The Horror Show completely from being complete trash.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
I watched Netflix's THE SILENCE tonight... and it wasn't good!

It's an ultra-conventional mish-mash of several other, better movies, a rote and thoroughly uninspired piece of work. The most charitable thing that can be said about it is that the filmmaking is mostly competent. Kiernan Shipka, Stanley Tucci, and Miranda Otto are game performers, but they are utterly wasted here in roles that ask very, very little of them and provide them with even less than little to work with.

There’s a vague sense of semi-self-seriousness to this that is totally, completely inappropriate for what is otherwise genre nonsense about killer mutant bat swarms; something like that should by way more fun than this, which is pretty much a slog, and one which goes off on a very odd and incongruous tangent in its final third. There is one great gag involving a wood chipper, and if the movie had been filled with more stuff along those lines, it might have been worthwhile, but as it stands, it is a complete whiff.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Jacob Knight: "Since we’re always talking King adaptations anymore, it’s best not to forget DOLORES CLAIBORNE. Possibly the finest cinematic delivery of his blue collar elegiac voice. Bates might be more iconic in MISERY, but this is her best work work, and Strathairn is an evil, drunk bastard."

"The way the movie shifts time often feels akin to Sayles’ LONE STAR; fluid, how memory actually works. Taylor Hackford is as sturdy an anonymous journeyman as we’ve ever seen, both getting out of the way of King’s themes while delivering something brutally timeless. Great stuff."

Taylor Hackford's masterpiece is The Devil's Advocate. It ain't perfect...but there's something perfect about it..
THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE is right up there with DICK TRACY in the "Essential Unhinged Pacino" pantheon.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
He's the perfect Devil because he totally gets the inherent hedonism of it. The devil should always look like he's enjoying himself while still being scary.

And his ending monologue I thought he was gonna start breathing fire not just metaphorically. Oh GOD how I looked forward to that movie in 1997. Just old enough to REALLY get the film but just young enough to feel scandalous watching it and....then discovering Charlize.

And THAT POSTER. Does NOT get enough love. I had that fucker hanging on my wall for years.

We don't talk about this movie enough..
I'm surprised his concert film/ documentary HAIL! HAIL! ROCK N ROLL doesn't have more of a foothold in pop culture. It's amazing -part LET IT BE, part STOP MAKING SENSE. Too bad it's out of print. I recently paid big bucks for the 4 disc Ultimate Edition. One disc consists of extended jams with the all star band, and another, the coolest thing ever the complete conversation of Chuck, Little Richard, Bo Diddley talkin' the early daze. There's another conversation between Chuck and Jerry Lee and one with Chuck and Robbie Robertson that I just haven't gotten around to yet.

(04-15-2019, 11:10 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: He's the perfect Devil because he totally gets the inherent hedonism of it. The devil should always look like he's enjoying himself while still being scary.

And his ending monologue I thought he was gonna start breathing fire not just metaphorically. Oh GOD how I looked forward to that movie in 1997. Just old enough to REALLY get the film but just young enough to feel scandalous watching it and....then discovering Charlize.

And THAT POSTER. Does NOT get enough love. I had that fucker hanging on my wall for years.

We don't talk about this movie enough..

TASTE DON'T TOUCH!!!!!

The Devil's Advocate really is fun. Although the girl talking about her breast implants is really really funny. I have to wonder how that casting happened.
One delivery that kills me.

When Keanu realizes who his progeny is supposed to be:
"The Anti-Christ.."

Ol' PaScratcho:
"Whatever.."
My favorite Pacino moment in Devil's Advocate was when he mocking lip sync's Reeves words at him.  The first time I watched it was with friends in a dorm room at Point Park College. We where all opening rooting for Pacino.

Last night I watched Chopping Mall for the first time. I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it was a good time. There where a couple of elements I thought where clever; naming the gun store Peckinpah's and a couple of the laser SFX sounded like the ones form the original War of the Worlds. Watching the movie around midnight put me in the right frame of mind. It was like being a kid again and watching USA Up All Night.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Ha, all the Dolores Claiborne chat you can get is an immediate pivot to Devil’s Advocate.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(04-15-2019, 09:44 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I watched Netflix's THE SILENCE tonight... and it wasn't good!

It's an ultra-conventional mish-mash of several other, better movies, a rote and thoroughly uninspired piece of work. The most charitable thing that can be said about it is that the filmmaking is mostly competent. Kiernan Shipka, Stanley Tucci, and Miranda Otto are game performers, but they are utterly wasted here in roles that ask very, very little of them and provide them with even less than little to work with.

There’s a vague sense of semi-self-seriousness to this that is totally, completely inappropriate for what is otherwise genre nonsense about killer mutant bat swarms; something like that should by way more fun than this, which is pretty much a slog, and one which goes off on a very odd and incongruous tangent in its final third. There is one great gag involving a wood chipper, and if the movie had been filled with more stuff along those lines, it might have been worthwhile, but as it stands, it is a complete whiff.

Oof, I just watched this too, and I think you covered all the bases here. Not enough monster mayhem to be effective schlock, and not enough meat in the script to be an effective drama. One of the most derivative horror-thrillers in recent memory.
My DEVIL'S ADVOCATE story is that my friend and I went to a matinee of it with no idea it was a supernatural horror movie - I think the local newspaper blurb just said it was a legal thriller, which is bizarre, and somehow I guess we hadn't seen or paid attention to any of trailers for it? We weren't excited to see it, there just wasn't anything else to do and nothing better playing at the local theater.

We were blown away (keep in mind we were 13, although I still think it's an extremely entertaining film)

Also that night I slept over at that friend's house, which was a really cool old house that was also kinda creepy at night, and when I got up in the middle of the night to pee I kept imagining I'd see those freaky CGI morphing demon faces in the window
So I finally got around to watching Summer of '84.

If you buy it from Amazon (or anywhere I suppose)...it DOES come in a blu ray case that makes you think you just bought something pirated. And it IS a BD-R. But don't let that stop you it LOOKS amazing. Doesn't look like a low budget movie even.

I really enjoyed it. It fits more into the IT, Stranger Things mold even though it isn't supernatural. It plays it just ambiguously (and realistically) enough that you wonder if the kids are just having over active imaginations. It wasn't until the phone call scene where you really pretty much know what's up and how this is gonna go. And even then...it did a couple of extremely subtle (and not so subtle) super creepy and brutal things that I was NOT expecting. I liked it. A lot more than I thought I would..