Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(09-12-2019, 01:39 AM)? dan benenson Wrote: I love Oz Perkin’s first movie The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Still haven’t seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House but I’m looking forward to this new one

Dan, did you check out It Chapter 2 yet?
Monkey Shines

Haven't seen it in ages, surprised to see early Stanley Tucci and Stephen Root playing roles in it.

Was this the last 'primate horror' film?
Ah okay.

(09-13-2019, 12:33 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Monkey Shines

Haven't seen it in ages, surprised to see early Stanley Tucci and Stephen Root playing roles in it.

Was this the last 'primate horror' film?

Shakma came out a few years later (and assuming the Kong films, Congo etc don't count)

So anyone spending the evening with Jason tonight, as per tradition? I would, but I just finished a complete F13th rewatch a few weeks ago. If I had known there was an actual Friday the 13th in September I would have waited. Might go with some Final Destinations instead, I've been meaning to rewatch those and they're super apropos.
JASON LIVES was on TV earlier, so I caught that while doing some work.

Might watch some of CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES later.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'd have thought Shakma was more contemporaneous with Link.

Kong/Congo are more sci-fi adventures.
(09-13-2019, 07:05 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: JASON LIVES was on TV earlier, so I caught that while doing some work.

Such a fun, watchable movie. Best Friday film, and best Jason IMHO. I love how CJ Graham plays it like he's in on the joke. His big dramatic turn to face the camera moment at the start of the movie cracks me up (at first slow... and then quick!). Also the most intimidating "Oooh, you are so dead now" stride of any of them.
(09-12-2019, 11:29 PM)Adam_72 Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:39 AM)? dan benenson Wrote: I love Oz Perkin’s first movie The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Still haven’t seen I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House but I’m looking forward to this new one

Dan, did you check out It Chapter 2 yet?

I did, I thought it was okay. First was better. It kind of rehashes the story and structure of the first too much, and is not nearly as creepy. That's tough when you go epic in scope maybe, it starts to feel more like an adventure movie. But I also read somewhere that they toned down the scariness of Pennywise a bit which is a big mistake. Also I think it was detrimental to just skim over how It affects the town and the people who live there, the movie is like tooo focused on the main characters. Anyway it wasn't bad, the performances are solid and there are some really good moments, and the two parts probably make a decent double feature.
I haven't read the novella but this looks promising:

[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
The novella's okay. Some disturbing stuff, particularly toward the end.

Overall, it's a quick read. Give it a shot if you're interested.
(09-13-2019, 10:33 AM)Felix Wrote: Ah okay.

Hey Tom Segura!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Fede Alvarez is producing a direct sequel to the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - https://theplaylist.net/fede-alvarez-tex...um=twitter

boo
Aren't they all?
They're already done the "direct sequel" thing in the last several years, and it didn't result in anything good.
It seemed to disappoint most people, so my expectations were lowered, but I flat out loved Jim Jarmusch's THE DEAD DON'T DIE. The cast is fun, and the humor is a mixture of super dry, subtly satiric, and silly absurd. It all worked for me.

"Is our plan to inform people about the zombie danger before it gets dark?"

"I guess so. "

"Because we passed Farmer Miller's place a little while ago, do we need to inform him?"

"Fuck Farmer Miller."

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(09-19-2019, 04:11 PM)Mangy Wrote: Fede Alvarez is producing a direct sequel to the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE - https://theplaylist.net/fede-alvarez-tex...um=twitter

boo

He will never top Texas Chainsaw 3D.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Quote:It seemed to disappoint most people, so my expectations were lowered, but I flat out loved Jim Jarmusch's THE DEAD DON'T DIE. The cast is fun, and the humor is a mixture of super dry, subtly satiric, and silly absurd.  It all worked for me.

"Is our plan to inform people about the zombie danger before it gets dark?"

"I guess so. "

"Because we passed Farmer Miller's place a little while ago, do we need to inform him?"

"Fuck Farmer Miller."

Yeah. Haven't seen everything Jarmusch ever did, but I liked everything I did see and this was no exception. His sense of humour and general chillness applied to a horror movie was just the ticket. Larry Fessenden of all people made me laugh most ("infernal hipsters with their irony"). And after approx 1700 seasons of Michonne and the "derrrrr aren't katanas cool?" approach on Walking Dead, what a treat to see it done by someone who genuinely admires the beauty and grace of the blade and the bushido tradition.

In its own way this is one of only a handful of zombie films that actually tries to keep the commentary/metaphor spirit of the Romeros alive (Train to Busan, Charlie Brooker's Dead Set, that's about it). What a fucked up world indeed
Watching the Crystal Lake Memories doc for the first time. It is pretty good, but I would have been fine if they had stopped after the Paramount movies. I'm not saying 5+ hours is too much but when the baby Stephanie actress from Jason Goes To Hell is like "When I made the film I was six months old, and I have little to no memory about being in the film", it is probably time to call it a day. Also would have appreciated less time catching up with the various boring Kendoll McWhitebread male leads, and more time spent with the fun people like the guy who played Reggie the Reckless in 5. They couldn't get Crispin Glover for this?
I actually love how indulgently comprehensive it is!
I already had the book, but I found the documentary just as delightful. Does it really need to be six hours, though?

Yes. Yes, it does.
God almighty there's a book too? I can't imagine trying to absorb all this info without the je ne sais quoi that Corey Feldman brings to the proceedings
It started as a book. I have the Kindle edition and the number of typos was disappointing. I got my sister the "enhanced version" (it included photos where the first edition did not) and she said they hadn't been fixed.

Still worth a read if you're a fan.
There is a lot of good stuff in there that I wasn't aware of. Palmer essentially getting proto-doxed by someone who really hated the first movie (she is my favourite interviewee too, as far as projecting pure couldn'tgiveashitness). Walt "Crazy Ralph" Gorney was apparently a fine actor who took the craft very seriously. That hiding behind David Bowie related titles thing they did when they were filming the sequels. The ridiculous amount of gore footage from New Blood that got cut, and how Jason X originally had a much darker tone (although personally I'm glad it ended up more tongue-in-cheek). And I don't particularly like the remake but it was quite nice to hear about what the movies meant to Derek Mears when he was growing up.

They show a photo about 30 minutes in, with Palmer as Mrs Voorhees touching Jason's face and he has the hockey mask on. What is this from?
(09-22-2019, 06:50 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: They show a photo about 30 minutes in, with Palmer as Mrs Voorhees touching Jason's face and he has the hockey mask on. What is this from?

I always thought that was just a very good Palmer look-alike.
Where is that documentary available? Can I buy it on DVD (blu ray is totally not necessary on that sort of thing)..
It's on Blu Ray and DVD, but you can also stream it on Shudder.
I saw a doc over Friday the 13th and it was short....well, not SHORT....just shorter than this apparently is. So, I don't know what that was. Something this comprehensive sounds very interesting. I wonder how much of the minutiae they get into. Guess it's a lot if they talk to the person who was the baby in Jason Goes to Hell. Wonder if they mention all of the really weird obscure shit like Billy Wilder wanting to direct Friday the 13th 5 (but that was gonna be too out there and they wanted something more "traditional"). Picture THAT movie..
This is the one you want, Fraid...

https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Lake-Memo...186&sr=1-4
Oh, cool! Thanks Bellosh!
The entire Crystal Lake doc is on YT.
But you won't get the hours of extended interviews that way!
I’m having my annual Horror movie marathon pretty soon, where I invite twenty or so people over for a night of horror scares, and I’m struggling with the program. It’s a three movie night, starting with a ‘fun’ horror film that’s still creepy, one people are free to talk during, followed by a lights-off, hardcore nightmare show, followed by enjoyable shlock people can chill out with, make fun of and leave during, if they like. Last year was The Descent/Hereditary/Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which was a solid one, though I feel I’ve been long chasing 2016, which was Cabin in the Woods/It Follows/Halloween 3.

I’m struggling with this year’s middle ticket. I’m locked in on 1 & 3, and I’m now at Society/X/Silver Bullet. Those two are a good time, but what fits in between? Could make it a body horror/transformation night, which suggests the Cronenberg Fly. But I don’t know if it’s got the oomph I’m looking for, coming after Society. I’ve ruled out The Witch, as I think too many people have seen it, and I was considering The Autopsy of Jane Doe, but that’s a lot of naked woman corpse for party (it’s a fucked up movie besides). So the number one contender right now is Jacob’s Ladder. I don’t think many people remember it, and it’s a goddamn nightmare. Or might it be a little too cerebral? I want to scare everyone with this film. Any opinions/suggestions?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
RIP Sid Haig.
If you're in Los Angeles or are going to be visiting in the near future, check out the Evil Dead Exhibit at the Mystic Museum in Burbank. Props from the films and tv show, as well as artwork inspired by them. There are also photo ops and some interactive displays.

It's a lot of fun, and you get a free button that says "I bled for the Evil Dead".
(09-23-2019, 02:12 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: I’m struggling with this year’s middle ticket. I’m locked in on 1 & 3, and I’m now at Society/X/Silver Bullet. Those two are a good time, but what fits in between? Could make it a body horror/transformation night, which suggests the Cronenberg Fly. But I don’t know if it’s got the oomph I’m looking for, coming after Society. I’ve ruled out The Witch, as I think too many people have seen it, and I was considering The Autopsy of Jane Doe, but that’s a lot of naked woman corpse for party (it’s a fucked up movie besides). So the number one contender right now is Jacob’s Ladder. I don’t think many people remember it, and it’s a goddamn nightmare. Or might it be a little too cerebral? I want to scare everyone with this film. Any opinions/suggestions?

I think JACOB'S LADDER is spot-on . . . I could see the viscera of THE FLY seeming slightly watered down after SOCIETY. There was also a (supposedly terrible) remake of it this year, so might be a good time to revisit it.