Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hollywood Scandals & Assorted Skeeve Catch-All
Rappers are deathly afraid when the Me Too movement comes for them. That's my read of the situation.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
This kind of (shameful) stuff mainly occurs among the gangsta rap crowd. Not every rapper promotes misogyny.
(02-08-2020, 06:17 PM)headless fett Wrote: Rappers are deathly afraid when the Me Too movement comes for them. That's my read of the situation.

Well it's going to be a very long time unless you are an over the top monster like Cosby and R Kelly.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Very few classic rock stars were worried, and I'm sure a lot of groupies were underage and/or intoxicated in some way. Different times...
Classic rock stars are a generation older than gangster rappers, and thus less plugged in to the online zeitgeist and also less likely to have documentary evidence of any transgression still floating around.
I promise this is my last post in this circle jerk thread, but here's my 2 cents:

If you don't understand why Black folks have traditionally circled the wagon, take the time to study a little history.

White people have been trying to take out Hip-Hop culture for over 30 years. If you don't understand Snoop's rage, that's on you.

Before you call out for a #MeToo judgment on Rappers, consider the fact that there's never been a known Rap artist with an underage concubine. Ted Nugent wrote a song about it. She was 13, so he knew her pussy was clean. Courtney Love said she sucked his dick when she was 12.

Jimmy Page. He kept a young girl on call at all times. Mick Jagger fucked Mackenzie Phillips after lusting after when she was 12.

All this, and somehow Snoop is the animal?

You think Rap culture is more decadent than the 80's hair metal scene?!

Also I'm glad headless fett is walking such a righteous path that he is in the rarified air to cast judgment on every damaged celebrities.

Somehow he is enlightened enough to know Johnny Depp is a horrible person.

Let him and Anya judge us all. When they're not whacking off to each and every new 'cancel' that is.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

"Free Bill Cosby" and "back off, bitch, before we come get you" are worthy of criticism.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(02-09-2020, 10:39 AM)farsight Wrote: "Free Bill Cosby" and "back off, bitch, before we come get you" are worthy of criticism.
Yeah, that. It's not wrong to say that there's legitimate historical baggage behind the attitude, and it's also not wrong to say that other musical subcultures have shittons of issues with misogyny/abuse* that go comparatively unnoticed (add "My Sharona" to the pile there, wouldja,) and it's never wrong to laugh at headless fett's moral posturing, but in view of everything that has come to light in the Cosby case, to still be holding onto that? That's a little questionable.

* (though I would argue that those other subcultures never made it a regular feature to the point of practically being a point on the manifesto the way gangsta rap did - but even there, ravi makes the valid point that that's a subculture within a subculture and there's plenty of rap/hip-hop artists outside of that bubble.)
When you're rolling you eyes at fett's hysterically performative wokeness, it's important to remember how he was once put on timeout for threatening physical violence against another poster, Steve Hauk.
Pretty sure Drake is creeping on the underage ladies but maybe he's not rap enough for the hard core thugs of the T to tha C
It's also important to remember it wasn't a real threat, Brad. That was ages ago but I guess when somebody as bitter and resentful as you feels the need to punch down then maybe I'm not the problem. Just a thought. Also, Drake's a serious creeper.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Ah, the time-honored Trump tactic of saying, "I was only kidding," when you're called out on your bullshit. Good luck with your gaslighting!
(02-09-2020, 06:55 PM)bradito Wrote: Ah, the time-honored Trump tactic of saying, "I was only kidding," when you're called out on your bullshit. Good luck with your gaslighting!

Considering you're the one bringing up old "dirt" I'd say you're the one gaslighting here. And rather poorly at that. 

Odd you didn't mention that I apologized but of course you wouldn't. Stop embarrassing yourself, Brad. I'm feeling sorry for you at this point.

Sorry for the thread derail. Back to the usual sleaze....

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
You going to take that Brad?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Probably
Look im just going to throw this Bowie knife down in the middle of the room and leave ok?
Don't bring David Bowie into this Walt. Have you no sense of decency?!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
... Speaking of an insane gas lighter.

Amber Heard!
Inane gaslighting going on in this thread. How unsurprising and completely expected. Moving on...

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
You going to take that thread?
This thread is trash and deserves to burn.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Snoop Dogg issues apology to Gayle King:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/snoop-dogg-...202858936/

Quote:“Two wrongs don’t make no right,” said Snoop “When you’re wrong, you gotta fix it.”

“So with that being said, Gayle King, I publicly tore you down by coming at you in a derogatory manner based off of emotions, being mad at questions you asked … so I would like to apologize to you publicly for the language that I used and calling you out of your name and just being disrespectful.”

No word yet on if King has accepted.
if two wrongs don't make a right, is he still saying King was wrong?
He said two wrongs don't make no right, which...[parsing error]

All I know is, three rights makes a left.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
And two Wrights make an airplane!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
And one (Jeffrey) Wright will make a great Gordon!
He can make a great Gordon, if the script allows.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I'm hoping so. Would be a shame to waste the cast they have compiled for The Batman.
Agreed. And while Reeves has earned a fair amount of goodwill from me, WB's track record for DC-based films since 2013 has been spotty enough to keep me wary.

Quote:Before you call out for a #MeToo judgment on Rappers, consider the fact that there's never been a known Rap artist with an underage concubine.

My man. Elvis. R. Kelly exists.

C'mon.

Quote:on social media and in the real media, after the deaths of Kobe + Kirk Douglas, sexual assault accusations were brought up the very day of their deaths. If they were actually convicted sex offenders, no question that would be warranted, but under the circumstances we know, do u feel it's justified?

The Kobe trial was a long time ago, so details blur, but if I recall the accuser had a lot of revealed credibility issues, and the man was acquitted. In a perfect world, 'always believe women' would be more than a noble idea, but history shows unfortunately that's not the reality we live in.

I'm not going to speak to Douglas, but:

1. Kobe settled in civil court, which at least implies some acknowledgement of guilt.

2. The criminal case was dismissed -- meaning Kobe was not acquitted -- because his accuser refused to testify. Many of the issues around her "credibility" came from the fact that Bryant's defense team and media team were preemptively attacking her, because 2003 was a different time.

3. When the case was dismissed, here's what Bryant said:

Quote:First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

You can interpret that however you like, but it, to me, reads that Bryant at least acknowledged that he made mistakes with this woman, and he believes that she believes what happened was not consensual. Some folks might read that as Bryant admitting to rape, or to being a rapist. But I think we can acknowledge that, by his own words, it's a little more complicated than "lying white bitch made it up to bring down the black guy." Which is, frankly, how your framings of cases and situations like these come across to me.

Elvis, I know you feel passionately about this issue, and the long history of white people trying to go after prominent black people to tear them down. I get it, because I have a similar passion. A lot of my academic work has been on the Jim Crow era and its attendant horrors, and I'll be the first to acknowledge white people would routinely accuse prominent black men of assault or rape in order to provoke others to violence. Or how "the Man" would find ways to use the criminal justice system to go after prominent black people under the guise of protecting whites. As one might say, "I've seen UNFORGIVABLE BLACKNESS: THE RISE AND FALL OF JACK JOHNSON, I know how that works."

But you also have this real tendency to fall back on conspiracy theories or an interpretation of facts that are favorable to the accused, rather than the victim. What's more, you will often drop these kind of statements with the frame of "well, it was a long time ago, and I don't remember," while at the same time lecturing those of us who disagree to do our homework. Whereas I was able to find the above by literally looking on Wikipedia and finding Kobe's own words in a few minutes. Or you'll say things like "rappers never had underage concubines," which is patently, factually untrue.

This is not the first time you've defended someone who was credibly accused of sexual assault (with the added bonus of handwaving Snoop's misogynoir as "rage;" Snoop is not going after white people here but rather black women who he feels want to "bring down" black men) and tried to frame those who disagree with you as being ignorant or imply that they're racist/unaware of the racial dynamics at play. You're lecturing us to do our homework but are unwilling to do a bit of your own, and then, when people call you out on it, deflecting with "well, this is just me spitballing, off the top of my head, can't remember the facts..."

I like you and I think you have your heart in the right place. I really do. But this particular view of yours is more than a little upsetting, and I hope you can see why.
home taping is killing music
Jim Carrey tests pickup lines during SONIC THE HEDGEHOG junket:

Quote:Jim Carrey is being criticized for comments he made regarding a female journalist during a recent interview.

While promoting his new film Sonic the Hedgehog, the actor, who plays villain Dr. Robotnik in the film, did an interview with U.K. publication Heat. During the sit-down, which was posted online by the publication, entertainment reporter Charlotte Long asked Carey, 58, if there were still any big achievements that he still hoped to check off his bucket list.  

“In the film, Sonic has a bucket list, I was wondering, after all you’ve done in your career and in your life, is there anything still left on your bucket list?” she asked.

“Just you,” he replied. “That’s it. It’s all done now.”

“I don’t know what to say to that,” she said with a laugh as the actor, also laughing, told her to “just own it.”
So dumb. It’s pretty clear he means doing the interview with her. Flirty? Sure. Salacious? No.
Either way he's under fire. That's what was said in two headlines about this story and until I hear otherwise I'll assume he remains under fire.
And Drake has been catching heat for creeping on teens on the socials lately, and Tekashi6ix9ine was charged with posting a sex tape with a 13 year old. (in response to the R. Kelly mention)

While I think Elvis's response is poorly stated, it does get at some important issues. Aside from the entire history of the criminalization of black male sexuality from the antebellum to Jim Crow eras and beyond, I think there are some interesting questions to be raised about the inherent misogyny of hip hop culture. There is certainly no genre of music where sexual exploitation of young women has not been rampant, but I don't think it requires virulent racism to note that rap music has made it an especially brazen and explicit part of not just the debauched culture of celebrity that develops regardless of genre, but of the music itself. I'd make the half-formed assertion that rap's nature requires orders of magnitude more lyrics than rock or country or ska, and this creates a pull away from any of the loftier romanticizing that defines "traditional" odes to statutory rape that comprise so much of blues and classic rock staples. You can certainly make the case that the more poetic sheen doesn't make Elvis or Zeppelin's treatment of groupies any more humane, but it's impossible to deny that there is any difference in kind between the skeevy subtext of "My Sharona" and the blunt, proud misogyny of "All About U".

There is a lot more to argue about the exact extent and nature of the art/life feedback loop and how these differences in the music actually manifest in the culture that both creates and reflects it. But I think you have to start by acknowledging that (without giving any free passes to those that wrap their tales of abuse in a sheen of more plausible deniability) there is a difference between subtext and graphic, explicit text.
Quote:There is a lot more to argue about the exact extent and nature of the art/life feedback loop and how these differences in the music actually manifest in the culture that both creates and reflects it.

This line in particular makes me think about the decades long debate about horror fiction, its writers, and its fans, particularly in the slasher/splatterpunk era.
home taping is killing music