Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
This is good to know because it's a key part of the biz model.
"Hunger is the best spice, they say." 
Thinking of Hannibal Lecter saying "Funions" will keep me warm on even the coldest darkest winter nights.
Love the feedback! Thanks folks.
I guess it’s a good thing it wasn’t called RED DRAGON because the movie is so friggin BLUE.

I’ve been drinking
I almost broke my neck on a couple of the SUPER Zooms from the last ep. My entire understanding of Manhunter has been fundamentally altered by the zooms Justin and Nick are spitting.
(02-27-2020, 12:41 PM)tato Wrote: I almost broke my neck on a couple of the SUPER Zooms from the last ep. My entire understanding of Manhunter has been fundamentally altered by the zooms Justin and Nick are spitting.

Glad I could break the news that Mann, Petersen, and Farina are from Chicago.
#penised
#allpenised
A Ghost Story is up!
I'm as visibly excited for this podcast as Craig Wasson was during the filming of the movie
I made the same mistake when Nick first mentioned we were doing this one. Though, his name does come up!
You guys zooming in?
Nope.
I panned across and picked up another recommendation!

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
(03-02-2020, 09:31 PM)leviathan joe Wrote: I panned across and picked up another recommendation!

You panned in?

We'll take it.
The Dark is up.
Ghost Story wasn't even on my radar until (1) I saw that Green Knight trailer and (2) I learned there is a nom nom nominated pie eating scene.
I have no idea what The Dark is but I look forward to learning all about it in microscopic detail.
Me, when I find out you haven't heard of THE DARK:

This gap in my knowledge has now been filled, and my life is richer for it.

Can't believe that Warwick Davis gag slipped by unnoticed, It was... gold!
I’m sneaky
This was worth it just for the immediate detour into Vertical Limit discussion. Delicious to hear you circling in on the director via Bond -movies. Alas, Lee Tamahori is no Martin Campbell. NEXT is no VERTICAL LIMIT.

I hope you zoom on it. I believe Scott Glenn in the betrayer in that film, but forgivably so. It has something to do with his little frozen wife.

There's some good PG-13 exploding people, too. Zoom in and frame-by-frame.

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
"Eric Carmen is one of only 3 people I follow on Twitter."
(03-06-2020, 06:45 PM)Bucho Wrote: "Eric Carmen is one of only 3 people I follow on Twitter."

It's true.
Tomorrow: Color out of Space
Friday: Vertical Limit

You are welcome.
"He did friend the mother on faceback"

I can't decide whether to leave it at that,
or write 5 paragraphs and risk looking like a douchebag.
Have you seen how little feedback we get?
"Faceback" got me too, ac.
I just saw GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS last weekend, so I'm listening to that episode now. Timely, yes. Anyway, the Armistead Maupin discussion killed me. However, I'm a little angry that you had to look up the female lead in RUN.

I look forward to continuing to run a year behind.
Good stuff. I like that Justin acknowledged that H.P. Lovecraft is simply not entertaining. I also liked that he seemed dumbfounded by the rules of the "insert yourself into the universe" game this time around. I'm glad to calibrate my expectations around this movie.

Watched Ghost Story as well. Fine film. It's almost as if I read a book. That song is not bad but it is lingering in a most unwelcome fashion. I wish the pie scene had gone a little longer. They almost had something there...

Good, fun episode!

I agree that Cheech and Chong were never funny.
But it's generational, certainly.

It's like my Dad talking about the first couple seasons of SNL with all that lame Gilda Radner/Belushi dogshit.
It's the Boomer sense of hoomer.
God help me when I figure out what our Gen X humor personified is... Shooter McGavin?

But back to Lovecraft.
I think it's a mistake at this point to watch Cage movies and expect him to "Rage Cage" or freak out and act like Kinski or a walking meme in every movie. I honestly think that yes, he's doing all these films to pay alimony and back taxes, but he's also legitimately one of our finest actors. Sounds maybe not true, but it's my thoughts.
He gives every shitty amateur director a good effort, even with the wonkiest community college film class scripts. Seriously, you need to watch "Between Worlds" (on Netflix) or at least the first 10 mins to get the idea of his character choices. Or maybe not. It's pretty bad.

But I believe the quality of how he comes across in a given film is all up to the script and direction.
He's great opposite Elijah Wood in The Trust - a truly decent movie. He's atrocious opposite Larry Fishburne in Running with the Devil... doing arguably the same type of performance with an equally good co-star. But the scripts and direction differ greatly.

Here's a list of the Nic Cage movies I've watched in the past month:

The Trust
A Score to Settle
The Runner
Running with the Devil
Primal
Dog Eat Dog
The Frozen Ground
Bad Lieutenant
Kill Chain
Mom and Dad
Between Worlds
Color out of Space
Seeking Justice

Seeing these back-to-back it's clear that even when he's in mumble-mode, he's still a screen presence that cannot be turned away from. and the meme-ification of him in the past 15 years is obnoxious, even though you can't really watch some of these movies with a straight face.
New episode awaits. It’s a good one!
You weren't kidding about dropping it Friday. Heard it twice already! Much appreciated. Glad to hear this movie is still as wondrously, watchably not-good now as it was then. The Dad Landing, Exploding Boot, Leg Jam Fall, and Finger Bend moments from memory were all accounted for. Hooray for fake Hollywood mountain movies. "Is it murder!?" Nice Paxton, Justin!

Thank you!
You guys are getting old in the dark.