Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I like Eaten Alive, it’s like a really weird southern gothic stage play filtered through a backwoods exploitation movie
dan! Hey buddy! Long time no talk.

My main thought watching it is the same thing I think about during LOTS of Hooper's movies: "Wow, that guy's cocaine problem is out of control."
I think someone said EATEN ALIVE is like watching an amateur production of Tennessee Williams while on a bad trip.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

So I'm confused, that sounds like I need to see Eaten Alive.

Showed my wife the Carpenter version of The Thing last night. She's loved everything Carpenter I've shown her thus far, especially Big Trouble and They Live, but this one was oddly middle of the road for her. She liked it, but she wasn't excited about it much. I think she even preferred In the Mouth of Madness.

Whatever, it's a great film. The shots of that dog in the first act are really something. So much implied intelligence, or is that just what I'm adding in my head? Great stuff.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(04-05-2020, 04:39 AM)dan benenson Wrote: I like Eaten Alive, it’s like a really weird southern gothic stage play filtered through a backwoods exploitation movie

That is a great take. I like it, too. I have 1000 other things to watch at present, but kinda feel like putting that one on now.

Dan, did you catch the new Invisible Man?
arjen, my wife is the opposite...LOVES The Thing, lukewarm on almost everything else aside from Halloween (she didn't care for Big Trouble or They Live at all ... boo) For me? One of my favorites ever, by anyone.

I'm going to end up rewatching Eaten Alive because of this conversation and I'm going to regret it.
Put me in the pro-Eaten Alive camp.

For the past week I've been revisiting some modern horror movies I haven't seen in awhile. Here's some random thoughts.

Mama (2013): I thought this was a good mixture of family drama and ghost horror. Mama herself was a good combination of practical effects with Javier Botet and CGI. The scene where she was moving around on the floor as a big clump of hair was freaky.  Jessica Chastain has a really nice character arc and man can she rock that Goth/Punk rocker look. Damn.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016): Probably the best movie I watched this week. Incredibly creepy with great performances by Emile Hirsch and Brian Cox. Lots of fun moments, like the stuff with the bell and the use of the song "Open Up Your Heart." Perfect for late night viewing.

Lights Out (2016): I remember really enjoying this when I saw this at the theater, but it's been a case of diminishing returns every time I've re-watched it. I still like the feral look of Diana (at least when she's kept in the dark) and some of the horror scenes are really well-executed, like when the sister is attacked in her apartment. However, the movie feels bogged down by exposition. Also, if Diana is meant to be a metaphor for depression, then Maria Bello's fate is, well, really depressing.

Don't Breathe (2016): Now this was some high quality sleaze. Just a really great horror thriller that seems to get better every time I watch it. Stephen Lang is so fucking terrifying in this and I really liked Jane Levy. She actually makes you care about and root for a thief trying to steal from a blind man.

Evil Dead (2013): Apart from Jane Levy, the characters/actors are pretty forgettable. However, there's some great gore in this that made me wince more than once, especially the stuff with the machete towards the end. This and Don't Breathe make for a good double feature. I hope Fede Alvarez returns to horror someday and that he's not in director's jail after that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequel he made bombed.

I'm currently watching Orphan (2009), which I've never seen before. I'm not usually into the killer kid stuff, but having the twist spoiled years ago makes me curious on how it'll play out in the movie. Plus I'll watch anything with Vera Farmiga.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Autopsy of Jane Doe is in my top 10 horrors of the decade. Just a fantastic film. Was hoping Ovredal would be 3 for 3 after Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, but sadly that was a bit of a let down.
(04-05-2020, 08:45 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Lights Out (2016): I remember really enjoying this when I saw this at the theater, but it's been a case of diminishing returns every time I've re-watched it. I still like the feral look of Diana (at least when she's kept in the dark) and some of the horror scenes are really well-executed, like when the sister is attacked in her apartment. However, the movie feels bogged down by exposition. Also, if Diana is meant to be a metaphor for depression, then Maria Bello's fate is, well, really depressing.

Yes while other movies are trying to talk about the virtues of living your life this movie supports the bold stance of offing yourself so everyone will be better off.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Damn, Orphan is a LOT more violent than I was expecting.

Poor C.C.H. Pounder.
Orphan!

I kind of love the brazenness of Lights Out’s ending. But still, a disappointment after the short, and far and away the director’s least successful film.

Orphan is a gift. A perfect film!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(04-05-2020, 08:45 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Evil Dead (2013): Apart from Jane Levy, the characters/actors are pretty forgettable. However, there's some great gore in this that made me wince more than once, especially the stuff with the machete towards the end. This and Don't Breathe make for a good double feature. I hope Fede Alvarez returns to horror someday and that he's not in director's jail after that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequel he made bombed.

I'm a big fan of this one, and I remain kind of disappointed we didn't get a sequel. Levy earned her stripes by the end.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(04-05-2020, 10:16 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Orphan!

I kind of love the brazenness of Lights Out’s ending. But still, a disappointment after the short, and far and away the director’s least successful film.

Orphan is a gift. A perfect film!

I just got to the scene with the black light painting reveal. I kind of love this movie.

(04-05-2020, 10:22 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 08:45 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Evil Dead (2013): Apart from Jane Levy, the characters/actors are pretty forgettable. However, there's some great gore in this that made me wince more than once, especially the stuff with the machete towards the end. This and Don't Breathe make for a good double feature. I hope Fede Alvarez returns to horror someday and that he's not in director's jail after that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequel he made bombed.

I'm a big fan of this one, and I remain kind of disappointed we didn't get a sequel.  Levy earned her stripes by the end.

Yeah she was great. "Feast on THIS, Motherfucker." Wasn't there talk that the original ending had her flagging down a trucker who turned out to be Ash? Or was that just a rumor?
Ash appeared in silhouette after the credits if I remember correctly.

Orphan is decent. I'd probably love it more if the entire movie was as fucked up and twisted as that one scene with the girl and Patrick Wilson.

Guess that was Peter Sarsgard, not Patrick Wilson
It’s the Patrick Wilson role.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(04-05-2020, 10:32 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Wasn't there talk that the original ending had her flagging down a trucker who turned out to be Ash? Or was that just a rumor?

(04-05-2020, 10:46 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Ash appeared in silhouette after the credits if I remember correctly.

Ash does appear as a very tiny (non sequitur) post-credits scene, but I had also heard they batted around the idea of him actually interacting with Levy in a scene at the end of the movie.
My guess is we'll see Fede Álvarez do another horror movie for Sam Raimi again. He's also a producer on the Don't Breathe 2, if he's still got his hands in hit movies he's not just going to disappear after one minor flop.

Watched The Platform. It's very Snowpierce, only better since is work beyond just being a metaphor.
Has anyone seen this? Sounds super cool:

https://twitter.com/simonsaybrams/status...0032395264

"The Malayalam-language Indian creature feature JALLIKATTU is what you'd get if somebody replaced Spielberg and the shark in JAWS with a rampaging water buffalo and Robert Altman. An exceptionally well-directed When Animals Attack flick and very satisfying ensemble melodrama.

That rare we-are-all-connected drama that actually feels like it's made by people who LIKE people enough to make their little cultural differences the focus of what makes them so endearing. It's more about a community that caused & tried to prevent a crisis than about the buffalo"

Maybe resident Indian movie aficionado Ravi knows that one. Movie does sound pretty cool.
ArjeN: I believe on the commentary track Kurt jokes the dog gives the best performance in the movie.

I only learned this when I caught it on TCM last year, the same dog was in JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN.

I was just browsing the Warner Archive Twitter, and I was reminded they did a TV movie remake of THE BAD SEED in 1985:

THE BAD SEED is like the original ORPHAN!

Never knew that was remade.
Jallikattu is incredible, easily one of the ten best movies I saw last year. It’s not really a monster movie or horror movie though, like really at all. Okay maybe one or two scenes. It’s hard to categorize. It has the energy of an action movie, actually it’s one of the most relentlessly high energy movies I’ve seen in recent years, total sensory overload but in an awesome way. But also accurate to call it an ensemble melodrama, definitely more about the community and the individuals than the buffalo. I’d say more than anything else it’s about the chaos of unrestrained male id. Also if you’re mostly familiar with Indian cinema from Bollywood movies, this is not at all like that. Stylistically completely different. Honestly it’s not quite like anything else I’ve ever seen before. Suuuuuper highly recommended
That is quite a recommendation.

Was trying to think who would be the perfect filmmaker to get the epic rewatch treatment during quarantine time, and it hit me: Takashi Miike! Probably impossible to do a complete rewatch, but if I can get all the big ones plus a few of the more obscure entries, I'll be happy. And last one I saw of his was the amazing 13A which was ten years ago, so I need to catch up with more recent output like Yakuza Apocalypse, Terra Formars, Blade of the Immortal etc. Especially curious about Over Your Dead Body, anyone seen that?

30 minutes in to Shinjuku Triad Society... The cop protagonist is trying to get information from a suspect by allowing a tiny man dressed in business attire to sodomize it out of him, the main bad guy is wearing a subway flasher trench coat and exposing himself to everyone, and a big chase scene has come to a screeching halt because someone stepped in human poo. You know, the usual crime procedural stuff.

So good to have you back in my life, you mad bastard.
Shit, if 13 Assassins is that last Miike you've seen, you could do a pretty good Takashi Miike watch on just what he's done since then alone. With that you've at least got:

- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable - Chapter 1
- Blade of the Immortal
- As the Gods Will
- Lesson of the Evil
- First Love
- Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai
- Ace Attorney
- Shield of Straw
- Terra Formars
- Yakuza Apocalypse
- For Love's Sake
- Ninja Kids

Reminds me how I still need to see his Zebraman movies. I'll have to look into Over Your Dead Body.
Are all of those worth tacking down? Hara-Kiri sounds fascinating and one of those that is much easier to obtain. Was definitely going to watch that.

I want to go back to nearer the start of his career because I remember loving the hell out of his earlier films, plus I want to see if/how he has changed and if he's still interested in some of the same overarching themes. To see if he can still jump around from one genre to another and keep the quality up, or if being so prolific led to some kind of artistic burnout. Is he still extreme and kinky and transgressive AF, or has he mellowed out. Etc
Of that list, TERRA FORMARS is the one that I keep thinking I need to check out.
The original HARA-KIRI is incredible - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harakiri_(1962_film)
Oh that's right, it was a remake. So was 13A if I remember correctly. Few more to hunt down.
(04-07-2020, 12:22 PM)Adam_72 Wrote: Are all of those worth tacking down? Hara-Kiri sounds fascinating and one of those that is much easier to obtain. Was definitely going to watch that.

I want to go back to nearer the start of his career because I remember loving the hell out of his earlier films, plus I want to see if/how he has changed and if he's still interested in some of the same overarching themes. To see if he can still jump around from one genre to another and keep the quality up, or if being so prolific led to some kind of artistic burnout. Is he still extreme and kinky and transgressive AF, or has he mellowed out. Etc

I haven't seen For Love's Sake, (although it looks good and interesting, and I've been wanting to see it since it came out) the rest I liked.

Hara-Kiri is really good. At the time it came out you may have heard about it. There was a lot of talk about it and 13 Assassins since they were both period remakes samurai films that came out pretty close together.

Ninja Kids is a kids movie, but it's also him doing a big wacky live-action cartoon.

The Miike I’m most interested in catching up with is probably First Love

Oh and Over Your Dead Body, I’ve heard that’s good
I was sorta let down by FIRST LOVE. I wanted a bit more late 90s Miike flourishes and grit/grime. I did like the central performances after a while but it dragged on a bit towards the end. Except that last scene, that was sweet.

Really liked HARA-KIRI (that scene w/ the sudden snowfall is a beaut) and CROWS ZERO II but I think 13 ASSASSINS is still his last great flick.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Have you seen the original, and is it worth doing a original/remake double bill?
Blade of the Immortal is pretty awesome too
Finally got around to seeing The Shallows (2016). I feel comfortable saying this is the best shark movie since the original Jaws. Very good performance from Blake Lively as the protagonist. I liked how even when she's struggling to survive, she's still driven to help others, like the injured seagull and the drunk idiot who tried stealing her stuff. This was directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, who also made the WONDERFUL Orphan. During both films, I guffawed loudly at the villain's death.