Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
Playing catch-up. It feels good to have a surplus of these in my queue right now. Just went through VERTICAL LIMIT / VIRUS back to back. Great stuff.
"I liked the scene where Anthony Hopkins has to remove a plank of wood from his bed."
"I thought that was John Malkovich."
Drag Me to Hell is live.
The Iceman ep had both the best new character (Justin's guy who gets frozen and ends up another 40,000 years into the future explaining the incredible coincidence) and the best ending to an episode (Nick's "And the caveman asks 'Is that show still running?'").
Thanks for listening (for years and years), Bucho. And thanks for watching (for years and years) "LeAnn & Eddie."
"Hunger is the best spice, they say." 
That shit still on?
Having a dirt cake served in a pot made by Lance Henriksen is now on my bucket list.
Haven't finished Drag me to Hell, but I appreciate the personal nature of the Iceman and Drag me to Hell casts. Hearing the importance of Iceman to you growing up was cool as hell and I loved the stories about you both getting into Raimi.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
I'm one of the sad sacks who is still working. I suppose that's a blessing (of course it is, until I catch the croup). So I don't have additional time to compose my thoughts, but I'm still listening.

I listened to the Invisible Man episode, and pleased to hear the distaste for some actors. I think we all have that to some degree. I would throw in Ellen Page as another monstrosity, but I'm going to automatically assume some people would say "she's great".

Totally off topic, but I really love the night scenes in Miami Vice (just listened to that episode and re-watched movie). I think they look cool. Haven't seen a movie capture the look of what it feels like to be in a huge city at night (like seeing the LA sky glow out your window in the middle of the night) like this movie does. It has such a singular look and vibe that I feel it's successful, even if digitally dated. I really buy into the romance, regardless of that fucking hair.

I saw Beowulf in the theater, 3D IMAX. It was "my avatar". I walked out thinking hoooo-ly shit, this is the future of cinema, blah blah.
Yeah, no. Though I sought out all 3 Hobbit movies in 48fps because it was so weird looking and interesting. I have watched Polar Express a hundred times, it's still my son's favorite movie of all time and he's goddamn 11 years old. But it's taught me that it's a really good movie, and all the complaints about the uncanny valley are misguided. It's like saying that foxes don't shoot arrows and wear green hats. Still a good movie. Probably a terrible argument, but I hate arguing, so I'm bad at internet.

Great episodes, I'm listening, I'm enjoying, I'm loving.
Sorry I don't remember specific jokes.
brownwall forever.

Speaking of Forever, having you googled "Val Kilmer 2020" lately? Poor bugger.
Thanks for the comments, guys. We're tackling a big one tonight (hint: odd keychain choice). And (a threat) we have two more locked and loaded.
Friday: **********

Next Week: ******* **** ******

Next Weekish: ***** ********
(04-22-2020, 01:17 PM)Kevin Matchstick Wrote:  (hint: odd keychain choice)

(04-22-2020, 04:15 PM)Nick Nunziata Wrote: Friday: **********

Next Week: ******* **** ******

Next Weekish: ***** ********

Friday: Backdraftt

Next Week: Strange Than Fictio

Next Weekish: Young Einstein
Nailed it.
Underwater is live, people.
Renting it now...I've had a handful of whiskeys and looks like I'll have a couple more. Looking forward to the listen tomorrow.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
How’s our fall looking?
i'M BACK-E-E-E. Actually I never left. I've been told I have an "avoidant" attachment style. I also started a new job with the local press. I know you guys can take a little abandonment!

Nevertheless we are still in synch in the universe because you uploaded Underwater right after I rented it. Then I had the pleasure to listen apres viewing. You guys didn't miss a goddam thing. From TJ Miller's Slender Man line to the stuffed bunny in measurement on the end credits. And so much more. Appreciated.

And Nick, sea creatures are my #1.

I did catch most of the Beowulf episode with John and enjoyed. I remember you teasing that bursting-from-within-the-beastie" moment in your initial CHUD review, then seeing it in theaters and knowing immediately which scene it was.

So that's my feedback for now. I'd love to reflect more, since Nick loves it when folks parse art through the lens of their own lives and concerns.

Speaking of which I DID rewatch Leviathan and goddam that shit is slow has fewer payoffs than THE STUFF. Plus ERNIE hudson is "drowned" by the creature like 20 seconds before its own defeat. Not devoured..... held beneath and sunk....

Can't believe I'm getting some Silicon Valley discussion on top it. Literally the only show I watched

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
Another great ep. Tanktop crabs should become their own sub-genre. Totally agreed on the flick - worth it enough for the monsters. Thank you both for another great couple of hours.

It's interesting that this ep comes after Drag Me To Hell as they both are 'throw-backs' in a way that didn't seem to get the traction with the very groups they were courting. I seem to remember Raimi being disappointed that after all the years of being asked to come back to the genre, he did it and it still wasn't enough.
Thanks! New one will go up probably tomorrow or Tuesday.
Quibi as 3DO is so fucking perfect, BTW. Literally have zero interest in that channel but so much money has been put into it by high profile people - it's just wild.
Philips CD+I, which makes the 3DO look like the NES and SNES put together in comparison.
Killing Them Softly hits Wednesday.
It’s up!
Great episode. Way too accurate commentary of current events. Quick zoom in - Sam Shepard plays the same character as Peter Boyle in the Friends of Eddie Coyle. Terrific series of crime novels set in Boston.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Miraculously we have three episodes recorded and edited and ready to go, plus another spoof song. Keep on keeping on, folks.
I'll never admit this in public but my favourite part of the Underwater ep was all the monster urination talk.
I've never seen Killing Them Softly, and kept waiting for you to talk about Christian Bale. Then you referenced Out of the Furnace and realized I had completely meshed these movies together in my mind. After the pod, I definitely want to watch it - sounds like it's right up my philosophical alley. Also, dog pimps.

Regarding the 'not very subtle' thing, I tend to take the side that most people simply don't recognize these things and subtly would mean that the idea gets lost. People hammer Adam McKay for that, but if he didn't do it, people wouldn't get it. Think of how unsubtle McKay is with The Big Short, and people still don't understand the point.

Thanks again for a great pod!
Aw yeah.
Basic Instinct awaits you Lubbock Texas Motherfuckers.
Damn fine episode. The Cowboy in the Hallway. I third the love for Mr. Frost, a movie I think Goldblum himself has forgotten he was in. And Total Recall doesn't hold up, whaaaaa?
This came out what, two years after Black Rain? Zoom in - Douglas does a lousy job playing a cop in both films. Black Rain obviously much better though.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Hopefully more folks out there!
Cowboy in the hallway...I'm fuckin dying
Really loved the sidebars this week. Great stuff on TV seasons, modern sexuality in film, screenwriting trips...was really entertaining and flowed naturally from the convo.

Regarding sexuality, a recent film that I think exemplifies what you're talking about is Serenity, which is bad for a lot of reasons, but the sex scenes were so uncomfortable, and that wasn't the purpose. You have some of the most attractive actors in the game working together and those scenes are laughable.

Totally w/ John on the Suspiria take, too. I never liked the original but this version is absolutely bonkers in the best way possible. The original has amazing imagery but bored the hell out of me. This one is beautiful but also engrossing. Love it.