Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
The Skulls is live.
Nailed.
Bubba Reaper in this.
"Hunger is the best spice, they say." 
This thread got the COVID.
We did The Skulls. We did the most we could do for the world.
Bad news: this thread shook hands with our Twitter and Instagram accounts.
I've particularly enjoyed the last segment of the past two episodes. Hilarious riffing on the ideas. Although I've never seen The Skulls, I totally feel you on the comfort food feeling of films around this time and also prep school/Ivy League movies. I have grown up to hate that culture but growing up I thought it was the coolest shit in the world. Even movies like School Ties which clearly lay out how fucking shitty those places are inspired me as a kid. I was an idiot (was?).

That Klan story was fuckin nuts. While how comfortable a dude was with handing that card to a stranger, even if it was Stone Mountain.

Also, the bassline in the closing song for The Skulls was cool as fuck.

Thanks for the work - always a highlight of the week.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Inoculation! The virus has been stymied for a spell. Thanks Doug. And that bass line is mine, so quadruple thanks.

You’ll be pleased to know our next episode features an actor from Basic.
I expect to Dash right out and listen when it launches.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
(05-20-2020, 10:26 PM)Kevin Matchstick Wrote: Bubba Reaper in this.

And Scanlon K. Butterfield!
That initiation sure beats the one in the Good Shepherd. At least these guys get a watch out of the deal, Damon spills his guts naked and gets nothing.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Rob Cohen's best film:

"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

We are recording again Monday and we have another already recorded. Just letting myself know.
Memo received.
"Harvard-certified" is certainly a new lens through which to immerse in the Rob Cohen oeuvre. Not even the Coens can give you that.
t
Appreciate the tease! I've previously just been meditating from Wednesday til Wednesday, as you warned that's all we'd get. Certainly don't wait.

Apropos of nothing I watched Hannibal for the first time in 18 years. It's exactly what it was back then, if that makes sense:. Deeply flawed, deeply special. I think I was more disturbed by the general corruption of soul on display than I was as a high schooler. Still rooting for Inspector Pazzi.

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
Hannibal is a great movie. Need to watch it again soon.

Thanks for listening, guys.
The Skulls ep was another fun listen. It didn't make me want to watch The Skulls, but it did make me want to rewatch Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Starring Leslie Bibb's fella by the way.
We recorded a HUGE one tonight.
(05-25-2020, 10:26 PM)Bucho Wrote: The Skulls ep was another fun listen. It didn't make me want to watch The Skulls, but it did make me want to rewatch Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Starring Leslie Bibb's fella by the way.

I also have never seen the skulls. But I am curious about what "the worst acting-like-he-doesn't-notice -he's-being-followed" looks like

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
I think I saw this on an airplane back in the day. But I remember it starring Ryan Phillipe? Was there a similarly themed competing movie a la "Ants" vs "Bug's Life", "Armageddon" vs "Deep Impact", "Volcano" vs "Dante's Peak" situation but for "The Skulls"?
(05-26-2020, 01:27 AM)somewhere Wrote: I think I saw this on an airplane back in the day.  But I remember it starring Ryan Phillipe?  Was there a similarly themed competing movie a la "Ants" vs "Bug's Life", "Armageddon" vs "Deep Impact", "Volcano" vs "Dante's Peak" situation but for "The Skulls"?

Why did you leave off "Top Gun" vs "Iron Eagle" and "Sophie's Choice" vs "Battletruck"?
An obvious failure on my part to zoom in hard enough.  Also, I totally have to watch Battletruck now.

A true Kiwi classic.
(05-25-2020, 08:40 PM)Kevin Matchstick Wrote: Hannibal is a great movie. Need to watch it again soon.

Thanks for listening, guys.

Great movie.  Thankfully it - and the TV show - mostly erased the roadkill of a novel.

Y'all need to watch THE SKULLS. Don't leave a hole in your Petersen viewing!
Feed on House of Wax, folks.
Nice! Summoned my memories of 2005. I for one was swept up in the saga of Nick and Justin as the paper mache brothers with the sad little pile of roly polies.
Ending jam was quite nice. Reminds me of the ALIEN 3 NES game music, which is nice!

Zoomed the first half last night - honestly had no idea this movie had any love. Never even for a second considered watching it but now I'll have to find the time.

Side personal story - I was at an awful party during CES this year and there was a woman standing next to me wearing lace fingerless gloves like Paris Hilton circa mid-2000's and I was wondering who the fuck would still do that. Turns out it was Paris Hilton - keeping her brand strong all these years later.
Everyone zooming?
Totally.

Hookah.
I was reading up on Dark Castle, interesting history. I'd rank House of Wax towards the bottom of those initial horror films - but I remember some of the reviews were not unkind.

I do remember House of Wax being thoroughly decent. I most remembered the fingers, and reports of cheers when poor Paris Hilton got perforated. The pile of animals thing all came back to upon zooming.

But really I just dropped in to say that I'm finally doing well in enough in life to order the 20th anniversary blu ray of Deep Rising, and I'm gonna get my 1999-2009 on and listen to some commentaries!

I need to check out that disc myself, LJ.