Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble City Cinematic Treasure Hunts (#1 - July 2020)
I watched three movies yesterday, and try as I might, I can't get them to fit any of the above descriptions very well. We'll see how I do with this in the long run, but I can at least claim two spots now.

Dressed To Kill (Free Space - it's 'pretty good'): Watched the DePalma documentary as well, and my wife wanted to see this immediately afterwards. So we did, and got pretty drunk during it. Pretty good! The narrative is pretty meaningless, and it's almost impossible to not be ahead of it in 2020, but that doesn't matter. It's a phenomenal aesthetic movie, understated yet gorgeous, and the fashion is remarkable enough for even an imbecile like myself to take note of it

Daddy's Home 2 ('would hug' Linda Cardellini): Watched this for an upcoming Trouble City article. I guess this prompt is just a movie with a cute girl in it, and I have a mild crush on Linda Cardellini because she was Lindsey Weir. I could almost count this as a satire, and would if it were the first film, but nah. I was also hoping there was something I could qualify as a family member getting blamed for another family member's crime, but that doesn't work either. Anyway, I find these weird movies fascinating, as sexually loaded as Dressed To Kill, in their way.

I see I've burnt my two easiest free spots here.

18. Dressed To Kill ('pretty good')
22. Daddy's Home 2 (would hug)
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Got started on this last night:

"7.  Scary Movie was released 20 years ago this month. Watch a parody or satire film."

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - This one is on-target in hitting many biopic clichés. A lot of the running gags work, especially the sink destruction and Meadows introducing Reilly to various drugs, and the cast plays everything with enough sincerity to sell it. Also, some of the songs are genuinely catchy.

7. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (Parody or satire)
Even though it’s mostly just a parody of Walk the Line and Ray, it’s just a flat out hilarious movie.

Feels like we’re in a real dry spell for great comedy movies. What was the last really great one? Do I have to go back to What We Do in the Shadows?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I love Walk Hard so much. I listen to soundtrack pretty often.

The running gag of Dewey's drug use and the random male genitals crack me up every time.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Would NICE GUYS (2016) count as a comedy? Also POP STAR (2016), DEATH OF STALIN, GIRLS TRIP, and THE BIG SICK (all 2017), GAME NIGHT, EIGHTH GRADE, BLOCKERS, and THE FAVOURITE (all 2018), and BOOKSMART (2019).
home taping is killing music
I think maybe three or four of those are pretty hilarious. Game Night might be a great comedy, I should rewatch it.

Some of them are terrific movies that I don’t consider particularly funny. Eighth Grade feels more like a horror film!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Tyres Challenge List

1(Canada Challenge): Room (2015)
2(Baseball): Bad News Bears (1976)

Watching Mattheau smoke, drink, and argue with children is just delightful. I haven't seen this in ages, like my own baseball playing youth. It is surprisingly open about race and gender. It has that 70s slow roll vibe, where the story meanders, but the journey is the fun.

"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and stick it up your left nostril"
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
ASK ME ANYTHING (2014): The poster for this indie is incredibly misleading, but even so, I had thought about using this one for the "would hug" Britt Robertson category, but seeing as how the movie is ultimately about predatory men, I'm not going to do that. So instead I'll use it for the "unreliable narrator" spot, and just tell you that you should absolutely go in blind (the movie is streaming on Amazon Prime), and be prepared to feel pretty bad afterwards.

5. ASK ME ANYTHING (2014).
Watched Cloud Atlas for the first time since theaters. My friends wanted to watch it over a zoom call, so that worked out. I figured this would be the make or break viewing, as I remember liking it but thinking it would either prove to be a great movie or falll apart on a second viewing, but it didn't really do either. It keeps my attention, there's some good acting, but I'm always at a bit of a remove from it emotionally. It's more a movie to admire than one to love, at least for me. The Neo Seoul makeup is a big problem too.

29. Cloud Atlas (Chud Curse)
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Tyres Challenge List

3(Dougray Scott!) Vatican Tapes (2015)

So, my options were this, My Week with Marilyn, which I had already seen, and... that was it, as far as movies on Netflix was concerned. So, I turned on the Exorcist like coming of the Antichrist film. It is interesting. Has Michael Pena and Djimon Honsou, and of course Mr. Scott. The movie itself is mediocre. A bit of interesting twist, in the idea of what if you don't stop the Anti-christ, but you know she is possessed the entire time, which undercuts the scares. It really makes a killer set up for a sequel, which this will never get. How do you attack a woman beloved for the Christ like miracles she can perform? But at 90 minutes even, i was in and out and on with my day.
Okay, I just watched one that fits so I'm playing.

12. Watch a movie starring one of the original nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Come To Daddy (2019): I'm digging this phase of Elijah's career. This is one's a bit uneven but solid piece of pulpy fun, not surprised it was made by a Kiwi. And it features an Aphex Twin track!
(07-03-2020, 10:52 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Watched Cloud Atlas for the first time since theaters. My friends wanted to watch it over a zoom call, so that worked out. I figured this would be the make or break viewing, as I remember liking it but thinking it would either prove to be a great movie or falll apart on a second viewing, but it didn't really do either. It keeps my attention, there's some good acting, but I'm always at a bit of a remove from it emotionally. It's more a movie to admire than one to love, at least for me. The Neo Seoul makeup is a big problem too.

Yeah... I love the novel and really like the film, but Neosoul and some of the makeup just puts you at a distance. Some of the makeup is just awful. But then, we go back to old Hugh Grant imprisoning his brother in a nursing home story and I forget for a bit. I honestly could watch a full feature film about that with the same actors.
I admire your committment, Tyres, to doing these in sequence.
(07-04-2020, 11:28 AM)MrTyres Wrote: Yeah... I love the novel and really like the film, but Neosoul and some of the makeup just puts you at a distance. Some of the makeup is just awful. But then, we go back to old Hugh Grant imprisoning his brother in a nursing home story and I forget for a bit. I honestly could watch a full feature film about that with the same actors.

It's interesting, because I feel like the Jim Broadbent/Cavendish storyline is easily the best, and the most emotionally effecting, largely because it's so small and comic. While every other storyline is trying to engage your tear ducts, that one laps them just being a goofy short story. The Whishaw one is right up there too.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-04-2020, 01:28 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I admire your committment, Tyres, to doing these in sequence.

I am trying, but your July 4th one is giving me fits. I cannot for the life of me find something. I have looked at Last of the Mohicans a couple of times, but it doesn't really fit. I thought about New World, because I only made it through the first 30 minutes the first time I tried to watch it, but again, it really isn't Revolutionary War stories about people of color. I may just watch Hamilton on Disney+ and call it a day.

ETA: I will say I am forward scoping the list in case I start missing days. Day of the Triffids is on one of the Roku channels, so I have my plants covered, but I might just go rewatch Little Shop of Horrors. And I have already picked a beautiful bottle of wine for my "Would Hug" Movie.
I'm pretty sure the prompt for today is essentially 'watch Hamilton'. It's certainly what I'll be doing.

The ones I'm struggling with are the family member blamed for something incorrectly, Dougray Scott, plants attack and worst of all, the X-Men one. I've seen all the movies! I don't wanna watch a cartoon!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I will say, you can get a twofer if you can find the Dougray Scott in the Day of the Triffids from the aughts. I couldn't find it, but it exists.

I am having an X-men problem as well. Unlike DC Animated, I don't know Marvel animated X-men movies well.
Tyres Challenge List

4(America's Birthday) Hamilton (2020)

I teach English, have directed a couple of plays and musicals for my students, and helped in my community theater, so I know of Hamilton. I have listened to the soundtrack plenty of times before. The music is good. It's not just that it is "different" with the spoken rap. The lyrics are intelligent and sharp, but the actual musicality is there. I am one of those people who gets goosebumps while listening to music, and it happened several times during this filmed stage production. But the story dragged a bit. After the intermission, I felt my attention drifting hard until we got to the election of 1800.

Not going to lie, I will follow this up with 1776, if only to get that Molasses to Run number about the danger of slavery. There film version isn't as good as the love version I saw, but it is a hell of a way to come down on your show.
I picked my B Movie Action Thread random choice, and it ended up being Killing Season, a tiny little DeNiro Vs Travolta movie from eight years ago. It's about two old soldiers from opposing sides of the Bosnian war hunting each other through the woods. It starts pretty well, and there's actually several elements I liked, from the premise to the script to the casting of DeNiro, in what could have been a pretty good role for him. There's some unpleasant torture bits that aren't very graphic, but effective. But it's got big problems. First is a pretty lame ending, sort of like what if First Blood felt really spineless, and second, Travolta is profoundly shitty in this. He's trying a Russian accent on for size, and has some of the fakest, stupidest hair I've ever seen in any context. He's like a Nicolas Cage I don't enjoy watching, and he takes what could have been a fun little B Movie straight to hell with him.

And because the 4th of July is cancelled this year, we watched Hamilton instead, and it was the best 4th I've had since childhood. I'd never seen the show, or ever heard the music (I try to avoid musicals until I can see them), so it was brand new to me, and I thought it was everything it's been built up to be, pretty much genius. Brilliant from concept to music to performance. Reawakened the theater kid in me, and I'm actually happy this wasn't around when I was in school. No one would have been served by me getting obsessed with this and trying to learn the songs. It was much more theater dorky than I expected too.

4. Hamilton (American colonies)
19. Killing Season (B Movie Action Thread)
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
TOkay. I’ve got some of this covered so far!

#5 - Unreliable Narrator Day - Double Indemnity (1944, dir. Billy Wilder) - One of the classics!
#9 - Bad FX Day - Deep Space (1988, dir. Fred Olen Ray) - Charles Napier vs. a Contra alien!
#13 - Re-evaluation Day - Red Heat (1988, dir. Walter Hill) - I still hate this movie!
#14 - Iconic Scores - Jaws (1975, dir. Steven Spielberg) - DUH!
#21 - “Would Hug” - Mad Dog and Glory (1993, dir. Martin Scorsese) - Uma!

I’m going into tomorrow with #7 hopefully on tap.

Follow my Letterboxd, too! I’ve been archiving some stuff I watched previously this year, so lots of discussion to be had.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
30: JUST MERCY (2019) - directed by the Asian-American Destin Daniel Cretton. I'd heard mixed things on this one, despite Foxx being universally praised, but I was surprised how much I liked it. It is very, very old school in its construction, but to me, that's a feature, not a bug. Cretton has a real gift for understanding when to let the actors be flashy and "big" and when to just let the camera play on subtle moments. Michael B. Jordan has played such aggressive, physical characters lately that it can feel like a little bit of an adjustment to see him in a much softer role, but before long, you remember "oh yeah, that's the guy who played Wallace." There's a certain kind of movie (often made by Participant) where you can basically hear the questions on the accompanying lesson plan while you watch it. This is definitely one of those. There are some good speeches but it's not preachy. And the acting is really, really, really good. Foxx won the Oscar for a big, flashy performance but I think he's really grown into a very subtle actor.

#5. Ask Me Anything
#30. Just Mercy

Regarding prompt 4, clearly none of you remember SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE. Big Grin (But yes, it was very inspired by the notion that Hamilton was arriving so close to the date.)
OOh. I am due for a Double Indemnity rewatch. It has been much too long. I caught Double Indemnity and the Apartment over the span of a week about ten years ago. As a kid who grew up on Disney and Nick at Night, I never saw Fred McMurray as the dark, sexually compelling type or a villain, and my first watch was a blast.
Boone dropping obscure 90’s live action Disney projects like this is the end of 8 Mile or something.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Arjen - I should mention that I watched Daddy's Home 2 without seeing the original and laughed my ass off the whole time.

I wish Mel Gibson wasn't so polarizing because the Grumpy Old Men-style comedy that him and John Lithgow are acting out swallows the A-plot. I would watch a whole series of those two getting into all kinds of senior citizen hijinks. The improv bar sequence had me reacting the way I usually do at Tim and Eric productions.
I find them sort of low key fascinating, and yes, pretty funny. Tim and Eric is the right call for that Improv scene. I don’t want to sound like a complete idiot, but that entire sequence has the kind of confusing tone I’d expect from Korean cinema, not a dumb studio film. It’s hilarious.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-05-2020, 10:17 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Boone dropping obscure 90’s live action Disney projects like this is the end of 8 Mile or something.

When your thesis for a graduate class on the history and culture of the 1990s is writing 20+ pages of program notes for a seven day festival about Disney in the multicultural 90s, that shit sticks in your brain.

I want to clarify, though, that for the purposes of this game, any iteration of Last of the Mohicans does not count, as the main character is a white dude who grew up among Native Americans.
#4 - Real Colonial America - The VVitch (2016, dir. Robert Eggers) - Beautiful, but underwhelming with the hype in mind.
#5 - Unreliable Narrator - Double Indemnity (1944, dir. Billy Wilder) - One of the classics!
#9 - Practical Joke - Deep Space (1988, dir. Fred Olen Ray) - Charles Napier vs. a Contra alien!
#13 - Re-evaluation - Red Heat (1988, dir. Walter Hill) - I still hate this movie!
#14 - Iconic Scores - Jaws (1975, dir. Steven Spielberg) - DUH!
#21 - “Would Hug” - Mad Dog and Glory (1993, dir. Martin Scorsese) - Uma!
12. Come To Daddy (2019)
30. Watch a film by an Asian or Asian-American filmmaker that’s not Akira Kurosawa.

Searching (2018) Directed by Aneesh Chaganty, by the way. Been meaning to check this one for a while and it felt pretty current finally watching this on quarantine with so many of the action taking place over webcam. Ended up liking it a lot, it's engrossing and inventive (despite some silly stuff) and it's nice to see John Cho get a lead role like this.
I want to clarify that I'm not the arbiter of what counts for these categories and what doesn't. I may jump in with my personal opinion, but part of the fun is coming up with an argument around the choices. For example, in the June Letterboxd Scavenger Hunt, one of the categories was "watch a movie about people joining the military." A lot of folks listed DA 5 BLOODS, which I would say is a bit of a stretch. But I still included it under that category, as well as counting UP IN THE AIR as a movie about brothers and sisters.

It's meant to be pretty fast and loose, and with that in mind, you're totally allowed to switch your categories around after the fact as long as you have a full list of 15-31 by the end of the month. For example:

18. WHITE SQUALL (Ridley Scott, 1996) - (FREE SPACE - PRETTY GOOD). This is from one of Scott's journeyman periods, before Gladiator signaled yet another comeback for him. I...actually really liked it? It's a "ripping good yarn" as they say, and although the climactic storm sequence really doesn't appear until the last 40 minutes of the movie, boy is it a corker. The movie is not without many flaws - chief among them it seems to want to be an adventure story, SCHOOL TIES, and DEAD POETS SOCIETY, but on a boat - so it feels a little overstuffed and a touch too long. That said, Jeff Bridges is in peak form here, both as an actor and as one of the most handsome motherfuckers to ever grace the silver screen. This came right before the "teen movie" comeback of SCREAM and its ilk, and SCHOOL TIES/CLUELESS are still the GOATs when it comes to 90s teen idol casts...but this one has Ethan Embry, Jeremy Sisto, Scott Wolf, Balthazar Getty, and Ryan Phillippe (playing "the scared one" and giving off some big Tom Holland energy doing it). It's nowhere near the top tier of Scott's filmography, but it's also a movie that reminds you Scott knows how to shoot both big action and tear your heart out with more subtle moments. A couple of times near the end I found myself misting up and going "goddamnit, Ridley." He even makes you appreciate that he ends the movie with a goddamn Sting song. So yeah - "pretty good!"

5. ASK ME ANYTHING
18. WHITE SQUALL
30. JUST MERCY

However, as mentioned, because White Squall is based on a real life story, I wonder if you guys would count "lost at sea" as disappearances (see also: THE PERFECT STORM).
Sure. Why not?

I really love White Squall. Easy choice for most underrated Ridley.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah, even though we use "pretty good" as semi-sarcastic slang for "this was really great," I may still move it around.
Tyres Challenge List

4(America's Birthday) Hamilton (2020)
7(Parody) Eurovison Song Contest (2020)

So, I had to break my list in order attempt. I fudged up my timing today. I thought Inside Man was an unreliable narrator, but I honestly, on this viewing, think it is not. Great film, but doesn't really count for the one time commercial success (from what I can tell, Inside Man is the highest grossing film he has ever had).

I did manage to catch Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, the Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams movie on Netflix. Was it uproariously funny as Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story? No. But honestly, the music is pretty good, and what little I know of Eurovision, it seems to be a good sendup. The crushing financial cost of a contest is a funny through thread. And honestly, I have been singing "Ja ja ding dong" all day. Pierce Brosnan as a Mamma Mia esque giver of children is fun. Fun was had, so I can't say it was terrible.
The Ice Storm (featuring a member of the Fellowship) I'd never seen this, and thought it was pretty damn good. Kind of like an American Beauty that thinks its characters are assholes. This makes it better. The central Key Party sequence is every bit as miserable as I would imagine such a thing to be, and the teenagers in this movie feel so much more real than most movie teens. They're all selfishness and awkwardness, completely unable to articulate themselves, especially with sex. All the more impressive considering it's a real murderer's row of name talent teens. Christina Ricci in particular just owns in this. And I'm always excited to see Randall Flagg show up in something, and he's really good in it too. It's pretty impressive Ang Lee was able to portray middle American life so intimately. This is simply not the kind of movie foreign directors tend to make, but then, it is a follow up to Sense and Sensibility, of all things. He's got some insane range. 

4. Hamilton (American colonies)
12 The Ice Storm (Fellowship member)
19. Killing Season (B Movie Action Thread)
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
BROKEBACK is still tops, but THE ICE STORM is a very close second when it comes to Ang Lee. Joan Allen is absolutely incredible in it. It's also a movie that I think has increasingly renewed relevance, at least for me, because the way the adults who are too old for the sexual revolution fumble their way through it reminds me a lot of older millennials looking at younger ones and being like "hmm hmmm yes perhaps we too shall open our relationships."
The Rover  (Movie with Gone Girl's Scoot McNairy) - So, Robert Pattinson is pretty good at these two-character situations. This features some great work from him and Guy Pearce, who does some impressive stuff with silences, and I appreciated the movie's spare approach to its setup. It's all rather bleak, and I'm probably not watching it again any time soon, but it's good.

7. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (Parody or satire)
6. The Rover (Movie with Gone Girl's Scoot McNairy)