Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
Golden Microscope guaranteed.
Great episode, I'm not yet finished, but just wanted to say that I've actually taken Lewis Smith's acting class and now my reactions are just the breast.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Just listened to the Running Scared episode, and though I know I saw the movie back in the day, I barely remember the experience. I have to say that you nailed the core of Billy Crystal. He's on my list of comedians who are entertaining, but not actually funny. I loved watching him in things, but never laughed at anything he said or did. Also on this list: Richard Belzer, Cheech & Chong, and Martin Short.

R.I.P. Gregory Hines.
I was doing the math on this movie...Bobby is a greaser in the Danny Zucco mold which places him in the late 50s. If his son in a senior in high school that's placing Gedrick at 18 at most. The film is set in '84...there is no way he's Bobby's son. Which is great for Bobby because Lenny fuckin sucks. Lenny is def the son of the dad from Twisted Sister videos.

Love the new sequel feature. Thanks for another great one!
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
Thank you sir. Still some zooms left in the tank in this episode.
(07-02-2020, 10:44 PM)guttenberg fan club Wrote: I was doing the math on this movie...Bobby is a greaser in the Danny Zucco mold which places him in the late 50s.  If his son in a senior in high school that's placing Gedrick at 18 at most.  The film is set in '84...there is no way he's Bobby's son.  Which is great for Bobby because Lenny fuckin sucks.  Lenny is def the son of the dad from Twisted Sister videos.

Love the new sequel feature.  Thanks for another great one!

This threw me initially, too...which is why you hear Nick correct me in the episode. I guess the cliffdeath takes place in like 1966, which leave Lewis Smith on that train dreaming of #sweaterpuppies for 17 years?

It's the only bit that's confusing in a movie that's so clear otherwise.
"Hunger is the best spice, they say." 
Now that I think of it, I remember the Skin Golem in the first edition Monster Manual looking remarkably like Jason Gedrick.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Fuckin great sequels. And Santa's Getting Laid is the horny Xmas track I didnt realize how much i needed.
July 4th after the kids go to sleep and Tango and Cash comes on Starz and I get to see the "Hey! Pizza!" Moment.

God bless America
"But I'll tell you what... the one thing that I can wait for is an end to this massive influx of just comments, opinion pieces... I am staggered by the stuff I'm hearing from you folks out there. If this were a video cast you would see me curtsy for you, as a show of my respect and appreciation for all that you do constantly. On the message boards, on Facebook, on Twitter, Instagram....sometimes I just have to pat my forehead from the sweats you guys are causing me with all this...."

"....I think maybe it's us. I think maybe that's it."
It’s not even Justin. It’s totally me.
We recorded a new one tonight for Wednesday, in case you forgot that Wednesday is the day that gives and gives and gives.
(07-02-2020, 11:40 PM)Kevin Matchstick Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 10:44 PM)guttenberg fan club Wrote: I was doing the math on this movie...Bobby is a greaser in the Danny Zucco mold which places him in the late 50s.  If his son in a senior in high school that's placing Gedrick at 18 at most.  The film is set in '84...there is no way he's Bobby's son.  Which is great for Bobby because Lenny fuckin sucks.  Lenny is def the son of the dad from Twisted Sister videos.

Love the new sequel feature.  Thanks for another great one!

This threw me initially, too...which is why you hear Nick correct me in the episode. I guess the cliffdeath takes place in like 1966, which leave Lewis Smith on that train dreaming of #sweaterpuppies for 17 years?

It's the only bit that's confusing in a movie that's so clear otherwise.

Missed this correction during the cast.  Bobby must have been one of the biggest losers in his high school.  It's like a movie about the coolest kid in the graduating class of 1998 wearing Z Cavaricci's and driving a Pontiac Fiero.
The Devil's Advocate in 23 minutes!
The first Jeffrey Jones episode. Worth staying up for.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Just noticed this in Lindsay Ellis' latest vid.

We may sue. I'll keep you posted.
Obama just called to congratulate me and Justin for our contribution towards holding this country firm.
Obama just called me to apologize for killing this thread.
Obama just drunk dialed me and said we have a good podcast but "it's no SModcast" and that he wished he gave Kevin Smith the Medal of Weed-dom. WTF??
This movie has that effect on people. Funny how Craig T. Nelson is in the running for podcast MVP. Wouldn't have bet on that 91 episodes ago...

I agree that Theron's projects haven't equalled her talents, but she does give it her all. The Guardian did a piece on her top 20 roles and it's not great. That doesn't look like it's going to improve with The Old Guard.

My one claim to fame: Jeffrey Jones' son was on my high school football team.

Loved the ep.  I've always been into this movie.  It's wild in the best way.

"Is it called Mr. Skin?"  Nice attempt at deniability.

Nick, totally agree with your take that there are different tones throughout, I always took it as a good thing, though.  Theron's horror story always had to be separated from Keanu's lawyer movie in order to drive home her own isolation.  That's probably just apologia but that just how I remembered it.  

Eddie Barzoon is the best made up name in a real movie that I can think off the top of my mind.  I know that all names are 'made up', but I mean I've never heard of Barzoon as a surname anywhere else in my life.  They randomly made up a silly ass name like it's a Martin Amis character, but then placed it in a movie in which there's no other names like that. I love it.  

Pacino as Miyagi and Morphius jokes killed me.  

Favorite morphing scene of all time - probably Eddie Murphy in Nutty Professor.  That CG hasn't aged at all...

Or...

[Image: 30days-night-freaks.jpg]
Bless you. A very therapeutic click to come in here and see that.
Connie Nielsen is mentioned a few times on this episode, and I thought you were talking about Connie Britton for some reason. I couldn't remember seeing Connie Britton in anything before Nashville, and was wondering what she might have looked like back in 1997, so I looked the movie up on IMDB. That's when I realized I had no idea who Connie Nielsen was and now I'm just confused and embarrassed. She's very attractive and all that, but I've never noticed her in a movie.

While I'm revealing my ignorance, I didn't even know who Jeffrey Jones was until Deadood,

Anyway, I'm still baffled by why you choose the movies you do. I've seen just about all of them, but they're mostly so old that I can barely remember anything about them, let alone fully appreciate the zooming in. I really would like to watch them to refresh my memory before the podcast, but I usually don't have the time. Have you thought about previewing what you plan to do the next week, to give us time to check out the movie beforehand?

I'm working my way back through your archives, and I listened to Cape Fear this week. Man, that was a great movie. I only saw it once, back when it came out, and I still remember the suspense.
There's a method to our madness: we're working through Bo Bridges' fave films. Nick treases upcoming eps on our high-traffic Insta account.
We choose based on what torments Justin.
Well now I just don't know what to believe.
Believe that Mobsters arrives midnight Wednesday.
We are so close to it.

Can’t wait to hear you guys rip into it like Thanksgiving supper.
Fuck Deakins.
I don't love that he's entered the podspace and we now have to sue his fucking ass.
[tumbleweed.gif]
[worstwaveform.award]
Nick going through composer Michael Small's credits: "his last film in theaters was The Endurance (2000).  Never heard of it."
Justin: "Oh I think that was another name for Mobsters."

[goldenmicroscope.jpg]
We record a new one tonight. Can’t wait to be overwhelmed!