Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
(07-31-2020, 11:05 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: THE RENTAL (2020)

This demonstrates that Dave Franco absolutely has the chops to direct a horror film. It also raises serious questions about his ability to write one.

It’s shot very well, and Franco clearly has a handle on how to generate an ominous visual mood befitting a scary picture, but this is a film that -- on a script level -- seems somewhat reluctant to be playing around in its genre, and therefore resists really going for it until it’s almost too late to matter; the last 15 minutes do have some genuine juice, but it’s just not enough.

It feels like Franco wanted to make a relationship drama but couldn’t get that financed, so he ladled on some horror/thriller notes in an effort to make it more commercially appealing. And that’s fine if you’re going to do that, but at least commit to it. The bulk of the first half of the movie is just four awful people frittering away their weekend and getting increasingly testy with each other, while the second half is about said awful people making incredibly stupid decisions. The performances are all varying degrees of solid, but it’s almost impossible for them to adequately sell what the script asks of them.

It would be very interesting to see Franco tackle another genre piece in the future... provided he’s not also the writer of it.

I gave this one a shot last night because I'm a big fan of both Alison Brie and Dan Stevens. I think you liked the movie more than I did. To me, this looks and feels like every other mumblecore IFC-Midnight release, maybe without some of the obnoxious handheld camerawork I've come to expect when I see Joe Swanberg's name.

Does Franco have the chops for an actual horror movie? I don't know, maybe? There were a couple of moments where things sorta popped (Brie getting attacked in the car stands out), but most of this is pretty boilerplate. You're totally right about the last 15 minutes and the tacked on slasher movie ending. Its a tale of two films, and the connective tissue between the two are the unlikable characters making dumb decisions because the script needs them to make dumb decisions to get to the next scene. I kind of hated it!

Fair enough!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(07-31-2020, 03:31 PM)Evi Wrote: I had no idea what was in his league. He just didn't seem the type to deliver an intense super gory horror film.

Sorry, that was a shit joke inspired by She's Out of my League, which is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Baruchel. His horror movie sounds good though, will definitely check that out.
I dug that Shudder movie, "Host." It repurposes some scares from the "Paranormal Activity" saga, but it's nevertheless the most interesting Zoom call that I've witnessed since quarantine started.
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 & 4: some people think DREAM WARRIORS is the best in the series, which is something I'll never understand, It's a decent sequel; the practical F/X are fun and it's nice to see the return of Nancy, but it leaves me almost completely cold everytime. Even though there's more dream stuff, it's never scary like bare basics original. Like nothing as creepy as Nancy's falling asleep in class dream, or Freddy's elongated arms scraping the walls chasing Tina. Plus the misfit kids in DREAM WARRIORS, while a good idea, don't have anything to offer in a memorable way. They should've been like something between the kids in SUMMER SCHOOL and the delinquent kids in RIVER'S EDGE. Or even like the odd therapy cases in COLOR OF NIGHT and BAD DREAMS. Anything to make you want to root for them. Even goddess Patricia Arquette is forced to play mopey instead of spunky - she should've been allowed to unleash her personality and be something of a William Wallace for the freaks.

The coolest character moment is a returning John Saxon; the disgraced sad sack' now drunk and bitter and a lowly security guard. I love that he's still stubbornly skeptical about the whole supernatural aspect.

I was actually a little more excited to revisit 4, which I had not seen since probably high school. As soon as the new bunch of kids are introduced - like a Z grade 90210 cast of characters- I was hoping for delightful camp.

I've tried twice, but I couldn't get past 30-40 minutes. It'll be a while before I try again.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I revisited "Dream Master" and "Dream Child" recently. I get a kick out of them both, but I'm gleefully unsophisticated. Part Five, if anything, is pretty groady; the unrated kills on YouTube are worth tracking down.
I could've sworn Amanda Wyss made another appearance in the series, but I guess I was wrong.

DREAM WARRIORS is the most "fun" movie in the series, but I generally prefer the installments that attempt to be scarier.

I think the original is unquestionably the best, and still holds up as a fairly frightening picture.
Dream Warriors has too many survivors for my liking, but Dream Master's first act takes care of that personal nitpick.
I always thought Freddy using a kid’s veins as marionette strings to walk him off a building was an all-timer, personally.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Dream Warriors was the first one that really leaned into the idea of giving each kid a gimmick or hang-up that would be turned against them.
(08-01-2020, 02:25 PM)bradito Wrote: I dug that Shudder movie, "Host." It repurposes some scares from the "Paranormal Activity" saga, but it's nevertheless the most interesting Zoom call that I've witnessed since quarantine started.

I really liked it!

Also DREAM WARRIORS is wonderful.
The poster for Dream Warriors is a personal fave of mine.
I'm gonna have that song in my head the next few days.

Does Dream Warriors or Jason Lives have the better single?
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
We're the DREAM WARRIORRRRRRRS! DON'T WANNA DREAM NO MORRRRRE!
I've got to go with Jason Lives because I'm an Alice Cooper minion.

But I do have Tuesday Knight's song from the opening credits of Dream Master, tho.
I've always found DREAM WARRIORS to be much more scary than the original. You really get to like the kids which makes it hurt more when they're offed.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
One thing about Dream Warriors that never gets enough love: that super dramatic Langenkamp entrance.

Host was definitely worth signing back up to Shudder for. Often reminiscent of certain other movies, but in a good way. Almost like a great Found Footage cover band. Really impressive achievement considering the added constraints that the filmmakers were working under.
Joe Bob's starring in an upcoming horror anthology called Cryptids:

[Image: Cryptids-poster-marked.jpg]

There's currently an indiegogo campaign to finish the movie:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/crypt...-anthology

Some of the creature suits/designs in the trailer look cheap, but I've always been fascinated by cryptozoology so this is right up my alley. Never even heard of some of these things, like the Loveland Frogman. Already donated $30 to get a DVD copy signed by Joe Bob and my name in the credits.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Not a bad hook for an anthology.
I recently rewatched all the Friday and NOES movies in chronological order, together because I figured it’s a shared universe so I’m gonna treat it like a single franchise. I’ve seen them all before of course but some of them only once or twice, or not for a long time, and a couple of the later sequels I only saw on TV before. It was a lot of fun revisiting them, rediscovering some, and watching back to back really shows how each series evolved.

My F13 taste is pretty basic, IV and VI are my favorites, followed by II I guess. My one hit take is that even though Jason Goes To Hell does a bad job at being a Friday The 13th sequel (and an unsatisfying way to wrap up the series up to that point) it’s one of the most fun movies with Jason in it, or at least the uncut version is. Lots of gore, fast pace, Evil Dead Easter eggs; it’s a good time. Glad it’s finally getting a blu release in that F13 boxed set that’s coming.

My NOES take is maybe a little controversial though? 2, 4, 5, and New Nightmare are easily my favorites. 2 and New Nightmare are the only ones where Freddy is actually menacing to me, and 4 and 5 are the most fun special effects thrill rides, with the most elaborate gruesome kills and crazy imagery. Part 2 is also the only one with interesting themes/subtext with the whole repressed homosexuality thing.
(08-01-2020, 07:55 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I'm gonna have that song in my head the next few days.

Does Dream Warriors or Jason Lives have the better single?

While Dream Warriors has those sweet Dokken harmonies, I have to go with He's Back(The Man Behind the Mask)

The Crystal Lake Memories and Never Sleep Again docs are both on YouTube.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(08-02-2020, 09:26 PM)dan benenson Wrote: My NOES take is maybe a little controversial though? 2, 4, 5, and New Nightmare are easily my favorites. 2 and New Nightmare are the only ones where Freddy is actually menacing to me, and 4 and 5 are the most fun special effects thrill rides, with the most elaborate gruesome kills and crazy imagery. Part 2 is also the only one with interesting themes/subtext with the whole repressed homosexuality thing.

Your lack of love for the classic original disturbs me, but I welcome you to the FREDDY'S REVENGE fan club! We're a select and discerning few!
2 and 4 I kinda get, but 5?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Watched Shudder's HOST tonight.

Barely a feature film (and by some standards, it isn’t!), there’s still an effective quality to this movie, which I’d argue treads the UNFRIENDED territory better than either of those films do. The do-it-yourself ingenuity of the concept, while simple, is kind of refreshing (as is the idea that anybody could make a competent horror film during the taxing, tedious bizarreness that is 2020).

Like many genre offerings, there’s a bit of suspension of disbelief that is required for buy-in (let’s be real: what the characters are up to in this movie is... stupid!), but the characters are fairly well-cast and feel mostly like realistic people. The scares are of a familiar sort, but they’re executed pretty darn well, and there are some moments that go into a first-person, “found footage” type of aesthetic that helps give the proceedings a bit of variety.

More than anything, though, I just appreciate the can-do spirit behind it.
(08-02-2020, 10:49 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: 2 and 4 I kinda get, but 5?

5 is short on kills but it's a grimy-looking movie, and the ickiest since the first one.
Yeah. Good imagery too, love the MC Escher dream world. I dunno it’s basically just more of 4, which I like, so what’s not to like?

As for the first... I’ve always respected its place in horror history more than I’ve actually enjoyed it. I mean it’s *good* and pretty fun, but there’s just some spark missing that keeps it from being an all time favorite. I feel that way about most of Craven’s work, he’s generally my least favorite of the golden age masters of horror. There’s just something workmanlike about his style compared to some of the other greats of that era.

Also everyone always talks about how the first Nightmare is one of the scariest and I’ve never felt it. Maybe if I’d seen it a few years earlier, in my pre or early teens instead of mid to late teens? Tina’s death is disturbing and the shots of her in the body bag are creepy but Freddy himself has always seemed kinda campy to me, and Robert England’s performance while enjoyable is a little too scenery chewing to be scary. He just seems, perhaps by design, like a 12 year old’s idea of a cool scary villain; he cackles! His fingers are knives! He’s all gnarly and scarred! His arms can stretch 10 feet and he cuts off his finger and green slime comes out!

Not that any of that is bad per se, but it works better for me in the later movies where they lean into it and go for elaborate over the top kills.
I'm digging in to the Justin Benson/Aaron Moorhead arthouse Lovecraft trilogy. Resolution I'd seen before, and I thought it was OK. I wanted to give it another chance, and while I'm still not crazy about it, I did appreciate things a bit more this time through. The actors are tremendously strong, and what the script gives them is too. I think the meta cleverness, probably the least successful aspect of the film, kind of overwhelms those clear strengths in the end, but that's kind of only the aftertaste.

But Spring, the followup, is great. Almost a Lovecraftian twist on Twilight, but pitched at a very different frequency, I really enjoyed this. I was once again surprised at how much I liked the actors, and the writing was, if anything, better. Also, it looks completely fantastic, and the lovely Italian coastal village they shot at is both idyllic and ominous. Super impressed with this.

I hear the last one, The Endless, is the best of the bunch. Very excited.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The Endless is amazing.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Ghosts of War is terrible.

(08-03-2020, 09:20 AM)Evi Wrote: The Endless is amazing.

It is damn good!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Hey, here's something cool. I'd never heard this:

This is from the opening of Wes Craven's THE HILLS HAVE EYES screenplay.

https://twitter.com/dgrunert/status/1289639789331755008

Kind of reminds me of his original idea for himself in NEW NIGHTMARE, where's he's gone nuts, has cut his own eyelids off, and is living in a van as he frantically tries to write the next NIGHTMARE film.
(08-06-2020, 09:20 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Hey, here's something cool. I'd never heard this:

This is from the opening of Wes Craven's THE HILLS HAVE EYES screenplay.

https://twitter.com/dgrunert/status/1289639789331755008
That is wild. I wish Craven's execution had matched his ideas.

Rewatched ONE CUT OF THE DEAD last night, this time as part of Joe Bob's show on Shudder... The second half is almost a sports movie, where you rooting for them to pull it off, but my God what a tremendous screenplay...That they made it for $27,000 is astonishing.
I ended up watching MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE last night after stumbling upon it on HBO. Been a while since I'd seen it, but man it still packs a punch. What ever happened to Sean Durkin? The performances (Olsen and Hawkes) and the relentless, escalating tension in such an admittedly tiny movie are impressive as hell. Maybe not technically horror, but still. One of the best slow-burn psychological thrillers of the last decade.
(08-06-2020, 01:02 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: I ended up watching MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE last night after stumbling upon it on HBO. Been a while since I'd seen it, but man it still packs a punch. What ever happened to Sean Durkin? The performances (Olsen and Hawkes) and the relentless, escalating tension in such an admittedly tiny movie are impressive as hell. Maybe not technically horror, but still. One of the best slow-burn psychological thrillers of the last decade.
Absolutely LOVE that movie.

Durkin's second film, THE NEST, came out this year! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nest_(2020_film)

Looks like IFC will be releasing it in September.
(08-06-2020, 01:07 PM)Mangy Wrote: Absolutely LOVE that movie.

Durkin's second film, THE NEST, came out this year! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nest_(2020_film)

Looks like IFC will be releasing it in September.

Good timing! Crazy that the guy has gone 9 years between features. Feels a lot like the Shane Carruth / PRIMER situation (setting aside the fact that Carruth is apparently a huge scumbag).

Anyway, still thinking about the final shot of MMMM. It leaves you with such a feeling of unease and paranoia and absolute dread. A perfect ending!