Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I don’t know how I didn’t realize it before, but the 90’s NotLD Helen is a total MILF.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Hot Take - I'll take Halloween II over Halloween (2018)
I watched Halloween II just today, and I agree with you. The fake Myers death made me chuckle, but good grief the camerawork...Dean Cundey is so damn good, and it totally elevates the film.
Halloween (2018) practically copied II's Michael POV sequence.
Making my way through the special features on the Haunt collector's edition Blu. Besides a fun commentary track with three of the killers, it's got a really extensive documentary filmed during quarantine that features interviews with almost every major cast member. There's a surprisingly sweet moment where the actor who played the Clown gets emotional talking about his last day of shooting and how grateful he was to be part of the film. I can't wait to revisit this next Halloween and fully intend on being Haunt's cheerleader on the boards in the years to come.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Saw this yesterday. Forgot about it already.

This 15 second horror movie showed up as a rec on YouTube and honestly it's pretty awesome.

Waaaaaay more effective than Woodsy the Owl.
I checked out Brandon Cronenberg's "Possessor" yesterday because nothing takes your mind off a deeply divisive election better than a little body horror. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up digging it. I love mind control and brain implant stuff!

I saw the uncut version on Vudu. I believe the R-rated version on Prime is a minute shorter. It's got some grisly violence, but I'll bet it was actually the nudity that pushed it into NC-17 territory.
Watched it today. Though it was seriously fantastic. Much less enigmatic than I expected it to be.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I liked how they visualized "Possessing" people. But I'm an easy mark for sped-up footage of things melting/un-melting.
I watched Possessor too, it was extremely my shit. When Antiviral came out critics dinged Brandon a bit for being so in his dad’s shadow and this one is even more like peak middle period David Cronenberg, but I don’t see that as a problem. David doesn’t make this kind of sci-fi/horror stuff anymore and Brandon is very good at it, plus he came by it honestly lol. It’s like Joe Hill becoming a horror author and being influenced by his dad, I’ve got no complaints about there being more high quality horror in the vein of Stephen King or David Cronenberg in the world. Also I liked Antiviral but IMO Possessor is a whole magnitude better, it’s dramatically and thematically richer as well as cooler and mind-bendier and more ultraviolent. Good shit.
Watched Jay Baruchel's Random Acts of Violence tonight. I have soured on slashers over the years but this one was actually pretty interesting. I recommend!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I've been waiting for POSSESSOR to appear on VOD! Gonna have to check that out tonight.
It's on my agenda soon, as well.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Anybody seen The Pale Door? Preview looked interesting. Bone Tomahawk-ish. Which is a good thing..
FYI, I just saw that BLOOD VESSEL and the 1979 SALEM'S LOT are now up on Shudder.
Salem's Lot is pretty freakin great. 

Too bad about that remake though..
I too really liked POSSESSOR. One of my favorites of 2020, almost certainly. Its way more assured and thematically tight than ANTIVIRAL, even if its (I think) less weird, and going for a more straight forward thriller kind of thing. Definitely feels like a early-to-mid period Cronenberg, which is nothing to sneeze at, since it seems like David doesn't really have any interest in making this kind of movie anymore.
Guess I need to see Antiviral!
The concept of Antiviral is definitely weirder but Possessor tickled my brain more in that good sci-fi way. But it’s true the middle of the movie kinda plays like a procedure assassin/spy type thriller
POSSESSOR's better but ANTIVIRAL is still really, really good.
Oh yeah Antiviral is very good, definitely worth a watch
Just finished POSSESSOR. Strange and off-putting, but also undeniably engrossing (up to a point).

The premise is fantastic, the sort of smart thriller hook that poses some real philosophical, existential questions while also opening the door for some visceral mayhem and horror-infused sci-fi. So, basically, a Cronenberg film, but in this case a Brandon Cronenberg film. Certain inclinations appear to have run in the family, but Brandon’s stylistic choices are distinct from his father.

Andrea Riseborough’s very good, eerily capturing this sense of a woman somewhat ill-at-ease in her own skin and haunted from prolonged time spent trying to be other people. And as (basically) the second half of the central performance, Christopher Abbott also does a very good job. Some really nasty gore moments punctuate the proceedings in a fairly horrific way, as well.

Unfortunately, it kind of comes off its hinges in the last half hour, as the plot sort of slips away and character motivations become less identifiable or believable. It’s a significant stumble across the finish line, but it still does make it across.
That’s interesting, I thought the third act was really strong. I guess we shouldn’t go into too much detail now though.

Just watched Bryan Bertino’s new movie The Dark and the Wicked. Adult siblings return to the family farm to care for their sick dad and get tormented by evil. Sort of in the Hereditary ballpark. Pretty goddamn creepy and disturbing, easily the best thing he’s done since The Strangers. Not as iconic as that but I think I think I personally liked it more because the slow but intense supernatural thing is more in my wheelhouse.
Wasn't aware he had a new one out. Mockingbird was pretty terrible, and The Monster was mostly meh, but that fantastic debut was the work of a highly capable filmmaker. I'll have to check this out.
Watched CANDYMAN: FAREWELL TO THE FLESH for the first time. An alternate title might be CANDYMAN: THE SAME THING, ONLY LESS GOOD.

While the impulse to bring back the Candyman character is understandable (Tony Todd is pretty iconic in that movie, after all), it actually kind of undermines the ending of the first film, which had a lot of say about how modern mythology and urban legends can change or form anew over time. Whereas the first movie could have provided a definitive starting point for a fresh sequel sans Candyman himself, what we have here is something much more conventional. Instead of going someplace new, we again have a story with Todd’s Candyman slicing through victims and building up a body count that is blamed on other people. Bill Condon -- even at this early stage in his career -- is a solid director, and there are some good moments, but for the most part, we’re just going through the same overall motions again, but with less finesse and resonance.
I actually liked The Monster but this new one is way better. Mockingbird had me scared that The Strangers was a fluke so I’m glad he’s back in strong footing.
Just watched BLOOD VESSEL on Shudder, which was extremely my kind of shit. We're very clearly in the low budget DTV realm, but even so, I think this is a pretty good movie. Survivors of a u-boat attack take refuge on a nazi ghost ship where some serious occult stuff went down; a lot of the fun is discovering what exactly they're building to. Initially, I was thinking basic zombie stuff, but they take it in a different, much cooler direction. Even the characters work - I was bummed some of them had to die!
Sounds cool!
On election night I watched Uncle Sam, a 90s slasher directed by William Lustig of Maniac/Maniac Cop fame. An asshole soldier killed by friendly fire overseas is brought back to life as a vengeful zombie on the Fourth of July. This was....okay. It has a decent slasher concept and Isaac Hayes gives a really good performance as a Korean War Vet who feels guilty for telling Sam all his old war stories back when he was alive, as that's what made him such a bloodthirsty asshole to begin with. The rest of the cast acts like they're on quaaludes though, except for Robert Forster, who shows up for five minutes as a sleazy politician who gets blown up with fireworks. The main problem with Uncle Sam is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a serious anti-war horror film or a silly, over the top slasher. The end result is just kind of bland and forgettable, although the way they find to include T&A in the movie is pretty funny.
Pulled a late night and watched BLOOD VESSEL on impulse.

Pretty fun! World War II-adjacent horror films have always had an appeal for me, and anything positing Nazis experimenting with occult-type stuff is even better. It borrows from some expected WWII movie tropes -- such as the collection of colorful characters from various backgrounds thrown together on a “mission” of sorts -- as well as some specific horror films, but it's done in a way that feels kind of unique.

The performances are all solid, and everybody feels like they’re invested just enough to be credible, but also loose enough to be having some fun with the material. Budget seams do show from time to time (especially where the digital effects are concerned), but for the most part, this is shot well enough to suggest and imply a larger scope than we’re actually seeing, and the makeup and creature elements are executed in a fun way.

Would make a neat double feature with OVERLORD.
Very fun interview with Richard Stanley over on Mick Garris's podcast. When asked about his third upcoming Lovecraft film after the Dunwich Horror, Stanley replies "I can't tell you, but I think you can probably guess..." Which means one of two things - he's got either a Call of Cthulhu or At the Mountains of Madness film planned. Both prospects are very exciting.
Is anybody giving Richard Stanley the budget required to do AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS the way it should be done, though?
(11-08-2020, 01:21 AM)hp pufncraft Wrote: On election night I watched Uncle Sam, a 90s slasher directed by William Lustig of Maniac/Maniac Cop fame. An asshole soldier killed by friendly fire overseas is brought back to life as a vengeful zombie on the Fourth of July. This was....okay. It has a decent slasher concept and Isaac Hayes gives a really good performance as a Korean War Vet who feels guilty for telling Sam all his old war stories back when he was alive, as that's what made him such a bloodthirsty asshole to begin with. The rest of the cast acts like they're on quaaludes though, except for Robert Forster, who shows up for five minutes as a sleazy politician who gets blown up with fireworks. The main problem with Uncle Sam is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a serious anti-war horror film or a silly, over the top slasher. The end result is just kind of bland and forgettable, although the way they find to include T&A in the movie is pretty funny.

Yeah, it was all over the place... I found it more interesting than actually good. I love the idea of Isaac Hayes as Loomis, but he's a bit underused until the end.
Yeah, if I had to guess I'd say he's doing CALL OF CTHULHU. It makes more sense as a trilogy capper anyway.

Watched Amblin's COME PLAY earlier today. I'd heard some good things but I personally thought it was sub-par. Essentially a lesser version of THE BABADOOK that's much more reliant on jump scares than atmosphere. Also lets just say that Gillian Jacobs is *definitely* no Essie Davis. It does try a few interesting things with technology though in terms of what it all implies for the evil that's haunting them, those end up being more confusing than anything. Like the director thought "oooh a monster that can only be seen through a screen!" Neat!" without properly thinking it through.