Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN starring Pedro Pascal & Katee Sackhoff
Yeah, he would have to say "I am Jedi Master Luke Skywalker", but that's a small price to pay.  In fact, it would have been an ideal way to introduce StanWalker to the world.  With the right hair, he would look exactly like young Hamill.  We'll get it.
I'm realizing even with the bad CGI the episode would have worked better for me had...the Kid chosen to stay with Mando. Like if the puppet is supposed to be a character that would be character development! Finding his dad! But no, the puppet is not a character, the puppet is a thing that just gets dragged around by the Force without a will of its own. Does anyone think Grogu wants to be a Jedi? How is Luke going to train a species that lives for 900 years???

I guess I just don't understand the corporate decision to break up Lone Mando and Cub...if they want to go onto something else, fine, go onto the Boba show, change the focus, let reluctant dad and son be out there in the galaxy doing their thing off camera (Mandalorian 3: The Quest For Yaddle.) The ending feels depressing because it sort of feels like the Kid's been stolen again.
Either 1) They ran out of confidence in the lone Mando and Cub concept and are moving on, unlikely 2) Pedro is busy for a spell and they're pushing that stuff to the side just for a bit 3) We'll do the typical TV thing and just pickup right where we left off with Mando and Baby Yoda next year during Baby Yoda's summer vacation away from Jedi school.
I think Baby Yoda moving on shows confidence in the story and momentum. If that was the writers' intention all along (and it was - S2 was written before S1 was broadcast) it's better to wrap up an arc after a year and 2 seasons than drag it out because Grogu sells toys.

Darth Vader merchandise still sells, and his story's been wrapped up for 37 years. Mando and Grogu will both feature in future stuff, but I hope the bit where they travelled together is done.

As far as CGI/recasting goes, I prefer the approach they've been taking, to be honest. I didn't find Luke visually distracting, but I do think his dialogue maybe suffered for being limited by the needs of the CGI. I don't like how post-ROTJ Luke frequently ends up written as a detached sage - Luke, I feel, would've introduced himself, asked what was going on, and only left after confirming that Cara had the Republic en route and that he couldn't do anything more to help.

However, that's a tiny, tiny nitpick, and I am willing to buy that Luke figured they all had it under control. I loved this season and this episode. Stellar stuff.
You probably COULDN'T milk another season of the same general show. People have been mocking the structure enough already.
Yeah, the general discourse around season 1 was 'OMG it's amazing!' (and it was very, very good), and the general discourse around this one has been 'it's great but nitpick nitpick nitpick' (while it's been essentially a perfect bit of SW).

I don't agree with the criticism about Mando's formula - it's a quest narrative (or has been). They can't not involve going from point A to B and having adventures.

I think there must be a conscious part of the mass Star Wars 'fandom' (euch) that looks for things to complain about - people who are consciously building up Favreau and Filoni so that they can histrionically rip them to shreds when they do something anger-prone fans don't like (Dave Filoni has gone through this cycle repeatedly already). These people are saliviating at the thought of a Mandalore-focused story that 'lacks the emotion of the Grogu arc, which is what the fans want' and are writing their first drafts of 'How to ruin a perfect villain: Moff Gideon' video essays about how he should have died at the end of Season 2.

(This rant is motivated by my bitterness at the masses of predictable 'JJ Abrams saved Star Wars', 'he understands that you need to remember the fans', 'George lost sight of his own creation; visionary storyteller JJ Abrams fundamentally gets it' takes that came out with TFA in 2015)

Also, the music - that's always terrific in The Mandalorian - was phenomenal this episode. I've seen a few comments to the effect of wishing an action-version of Binary Sunset had played, which I get, but reflects thinking which, if put into effect, would just lead to the same stuff being used over and over again, missing chances to add cool new stuff and just rehashing old ideas until their impact is pretty depleted.

[Image: rey-tros-final-scene.jpeg]

^An unrelated image.
(12-19-2020, 05:54 AM)slim Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 05:03 AM)freeman Wrote: Hey, I'm on board with Sebastian Stan giving it a try.  It's MUCH better than this...  Necromancy.

Eh. If Sebastian Stan had shown up at the end of this and not turned to the camera and said, "Hi, I'm playing Luke Skywalker now," we'd see nothing but question marks floating over most of North America.

They could've done the necromancy-- with which I have my issues-- or not done the sequence at all, pick your poison.

For me it’s either recast it or just don’t do it at all. The necromancy is just not worth it.
CGI Luke was as bad as Tarkin and Leia, but that didn't keep my wife from screaming herself hoarse when he showed up, and I found the goodbye between Mando and Baby Yoda surprisingly moving. With Star Wars now going full Marvel, I pretty much don't care anymore, so this was a nice send-off.
The problem with necromancy aside from being incredibly distracting, is that it's no doubt prohibitively costly and impractical to shoot for more than a simple motionless scene.

Just cast Sebastian Stan. He can get some coaching and really nail down his Luke impression, then you can put him to work in a Luke show making all kinds of cameos and maybe even adapt the wonderful Marvel comics, and Disney is set for young Luke going forward. This would have been the perfect moment to set him up. The best part is you still have older Hamill! He can show up in an older Luke capacity hopefully for years and years to come!
Should have ended with the title card “The Book of Salacious Crumb”.
I'm not Avery.
Film Crit Hulk really took a shit all over this last episode. He even took some weird cheap shots at Jon Favreau.
(12-19-2020, 11:43 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Film Crit Hulk really took a shit all over this last episode. He even took some weird cheap shots at Jon Favreau.

Not surprising at all.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Film Crit Hulk, lol...is he still carrying on his passionate love affair with his own voice?
Luke's face was terrible. Not only did it not leave the Uncanny Valley, it practically built an entire suburb there.

I don't understand why they don't just recast the role. Whether it's Sebastian Stan (who I think would be great) or someone else, I think the audience will get over "that's not Luke" MUCH quicker with an actual human being and actual human face vs unsettling CGI.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(12-19-2020, 11:53 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Luke's face was terrible. Not only did it not leave the Uncanny Valley, it practically built an entire suburb there.

I don't understand why they don't just recast the role. Whether it's Sebastian Stan (who I think would be great) or someone else, I think the audience will get over "that's not Luke" MUCH quicker with an actual human being and actual human face vs unsettling CGI.

I think reaction to the Han Solo recast freaked them out
[Image: hamill_stan.jpg]

I love Mark and he's become a much stronger actor over the years, but it ain't like Stan will have to REALLY stretch to pull off Lukes personality and inflections.  DO IT DISNEY YOU COWARDS.
(12-19-2020, 12:11 PM)serpico jones Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 11:53 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Luke's face was terrible. Not only did it not leave the Uncanny Valley, it practically built an entire suburb there.

I think reaction to the Han Solo recast freaked them out

I really don't think the recasting was the ultimate problem people had with SOLO.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(12-19-2020, 11:43 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Film Crit Hulk really took a shit all over this last episode. He even took some weird cheap shots at Jon Favreau.

This is where I'll again suggest an ADVENTURES OF LUKE SKYWALKER (AND GROGU) animated series.

(12-19-2020, 12:18 PM)mondguy Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 11:43 AM)serpico jones Wrote: Film Crit Hulk really took a shit all over this last episode. He even took some weird cheap shots at Jon Favreau.

Sadly accurate.
Why is it that haters and lovers of TLJ perceive this show as a middle finger towards Rian Johnson? Why do motives always have to be believed as spiteful?
I liked the Vader Rogue One scene, but I STILL say that shit was so tonally cray cray.

(12-19-2020, 12:44 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Why is it that haters and lovers of TLJ perceive this show as a middle finger towards Rian Johnson? Why do motives always have to be believed as spiteful?

Literally nobody is saying that.
There's plenty of "Favreau's catering to that odious, vile, disgusting group of TLJ detractors who weren't satisfied with Luke's depiction in that movie!" reactions out there.

Film Crit Hulk's Twitter post on the subject contains plenty of folks seemingly angry that people enjoyed seeing Luke back in action (properly, for the first time since RETURN OF THE JEDI). Imagine being upset that some people like a thing.

Also, Jesus. What a group of sycophants FCH has collected for himself. It's a hive mind over there.
It’s like they never got over their hatred of TLJ and use this show to keep expressing how much they hated it.
Film Critic Hulk earned his internet stardom for his essay on Rape Culture. Anyone who hasn't read that I urge you to do so right now.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(12-19-2020, 12:44 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Why is it that haters and lovers of TLJ perceive this show as a middle finger towards Rian Johnson? Why do motives always have to be believed as spiteful?

I think it goes back two years earlier.  There were quite a few people who interpreted "This will begin to make things right." as a dig at the prequels.
(12-19-2020, 01:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: It’s like they never got over their hatred of TLJ and use this show to keep expressing how much they hated it.

I don't think that's quite what's happening.
(12-19-2020, 01:10 PM)mondguy Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 12:44 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: Why is it that haters and lovers of TLJ perceive this show as a middle finger towards Rian Johnson? Why do motives always have to be believed as spiteful?

I think it goes back two years earlier.  There were quite a few people who interpreted "This will begin to make things right." as a dig at the prequels.

Fans have so much baggage.

Even fans of TROS loved the idea that it was throwing shade at TLJ.

(12-19-2020, 01:14 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 01:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: It’s like they never got over their hatred of TLJ and use this show to keep expressing how much they hated it.

I don't think that's quite what's happening.

I’ve seen enough “THIS is real Star Wars, FUCK Rian Johnson” all over social media. It’s like fandom was cracked like a walnut.
I miss just ten years ago when Lost would put a wig on Michael Emerson and pretend he was 18.
(12-19-2020, 01:15 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I’ve seen enough “THIS is real Star Wars, FUCK Rian Johnson” all over social media. It’s like fandom was cracked like a walnut.

Of course there's some of that. There's also the attitude I described earlier.

And thankfully, there also seems to be a healthy, emotionally well-balanced group that appreciated the episode (and seeing Luke again) regardless of whether they liked or disliked THE LAST JEDI.

(12-19-2020, 01:22 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I miss just ten years ago when Lost would put a wig on Michael Emerson and pretend he was 18.

I never questioned it!
I don’t know if it’s because of years being trained to accept actors playing younger in flashbacks, but I honestly think a body double with a hood and then a close up of current day, clean shaven Hamill in a blonde wig would have been far less distracting.

Still would have been silly, but the kind you can roll with.
Sebastian Stan is a pretty good actor, but until he posts YouTube videos of his Mark Hamill impression I won't be convinced he can pull it off.
I really don’t see the Hamill resemblance with him.
(12-19-2020, 06:57 AM)justinslot Wrote: I'm realizing even with the bad CGI the episode would have worked better for me had...the Kid chosen to stay with Mando. Like if the puppet is supposed to be a character that would be character development! Finding his dad! But no, the puppet is not a character, the puppet is a thing that just gets dragged around by the Force without a will of its own. Does anyone think Grogu wants to be a Jedi? How is Luke going to train a species that lives for 900 years???

I guess I just don't understand the corporate decision to break up Lone Mando and Cub...if they want to go onto something else, fine, go onto the Boba show, change the focus, let reluctant dad and son be out there in the galaxy doing their thing off camera (Mandalorian 3: The Quest For Yaddle.) The ending feels depressing because it sort of feels like the Kid's been stolen again.

Continuing to do the same thing would be character development?

Justin. C'mon bro. You gotta let him go. It's their destiny to travel different paths now. 50 year-old youngsters have to leave home to be taken care of by Luke Skywalker at some point so they can fulfil their destiny and stuff. 

He'll be fine. 

Mando will be fine. 

We'll all be fine.

What could possibly go wrong?
As far as Solo goes, I think the the recasting was a small part of it, but a part of it none the less. Han Solo's a well conceived character, but he's a movie character who was brought to life by, defined by, and in 3 out of 4 movie appearances written for Harrison Ford, who's a very charismatic actor.

The real issue with it is that even the likes of me, who knows who the Modal Nodes are and could pick Orn Free Taa out of an aliens line up, doesn't give a shit about Han Solo's backstory. A character can be compelling - like Han is - without having a backstory audiences are desperate to see dramatised.

As far as Luke goes, I'm in the rare camp who thinks the Vader Rogue One scene was awesome and dramatically warranted, that Luke's arc in TLJ was fantastic and moving, and that Luke's appearance in this episode was terrific and, like Vader, dramatically warranted.
For a single live action appearance -- and trust me, we ain't about to get recurring Luke Skywalker on this show -- why bother casting Sebastian Stan?
Just this guy, you know?