Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I thought there was maybe some potential with that premise, but the trailer didn't look great.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
CRITTERS 3

... And this is where the CRITTERS series lost me. It lacks any fun flair outside of a very, very select few moments. Don Opper’s back, but he might as well be playing a completely different person, because this movie seems to ignore his characterization from the previous two films (despite directly flashing back to them!).

This is also a bit of a JASON TAKES MANHATTAN bait-and-switch, with the poster promising a “Critters attack a big city!” premise that the movie never really gets around to fully delivering, instead keeping things confined to a (very-low-budget-friendly) apartment building.

There are a few rather decent character interactions, but for the most part, this is very dull stuff.
Haha This is basically for Arjen:

https://twitter.com/horrorgal1313/status...8253545479

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

CRITTERS 4

If CRITTERS 3 was the JASON TAKES MANHATTAN of the franchise, this one is clearly the JASON X, not just because of the obvious (they both take place in space), but primarily because they feel far cheaper than they should have been in order to do justice to the premise. It’s slightly better than 3 (thanks to its very silly plot, as well as the presence of the likes of Angela Bassett and Brad Dourif, plus Don Opper back in action again), but not by much at all.

My Critters odyssey is now complete!
(02-03-2021, 09:11 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: CRITTERS 4

If CRITTERS 3 was the JASON TAKES MANHATTAN of the franchise, this one is clearly the JASON X, not just because of the obvious (they both take place in space), but primarily because they feel far cheaper than they should have been in order to do justice to the premise.  It’s slightly better than 3 (thanks to its very silly plot, as well as the presence of the likes of Angela Bassett and Brad Dourif, plus Don Opper back in action again), but not by much at all.

My Critters odyssey is now complete!

There's also a Critters miniseries and a Critters movie from a year or two ago called Critters Attack. Have yet to see either although I've heard not good things
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Yay Orphan. She can do no wrong.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(02-03-2021, 09:45 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: There's also a Critters miniseries and a Critters movie from a year or two ago called Critters Attack. Have yet to see either although I've heard not good things

I think I'll pass!
They announced a guest for Joe Bob's Valentine's Day special next week:

https://mastergio.tumblr.com/post/642226...oe-bob-put

Looking up their filmography, it's pretty easy to figure out what movie they're showing.
THE HILLS RUN RED (2009)

Starts off deliberately enough, but then makes a turn for the mean-spirited and nasty. A little of that can be a good thing, especially in wannabe-exploitation like that, but a lot of that can cross over the line into unpleasantness, and that’s pretty much where this movie ends up.

There is absolutely some good stuff here -- the premise is intriguing, and seeing William Sadler get to cut loose and go full batshit is definitely enjoyable on a certain level -- and it certainly tries to push some R-rated gore boundaries (although what should have been the most jaw-dropping gore gag is marred by some really unfortunate CGI), but it’s a bit too grim to actually be all that entertaining.
(02-04-2021, 06:25 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: They announced a guest for Joe Bob's Valentine's Day special next week:

https://mastergio.tumblr.com/post/642226...oe-bob-put

Looking up their filmography, it's pretty easy to figure out what movie they're showing.

Ah. I wasn't super-crazy about that when I saw it the first time, but I always tend to like even the worst movies a bit more during Joe Bob.
Personally I'm hoping the second film is Vampire's Kiss with Nicolas Cage which just got added to Shudder. My Bloody Valentine seems like too obvious a choice and after the last two specials I think they should take a break from slashers for awhile.
A NIGHTMARE WAKES (2021)

The circumstances that led Mary Shelley to create FRANKENSTEIN are compelling. They’ve also been depicted on film quite a few times before this point. There is some moody and striking imagery at times, but everything else about the movie is so inert and played-out that it doesn’t matter. Anything this movie has to say on the subject has already been explored, be it in GOTHIC, or HAUNTED SUMMER, or FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND, or even the recent MARY SHELLEY (a straight biopic, which this film is most certainly not, given that it invents situations and twists known events in Mary’s life). I’d recommend any of those titles ahead of this one, and the latter two aren’t even particularly good.

But for the uber-curious, it's on Shudder.
This is kinda great if you haven't seen it:

(a lot of horror icon commercials in the thread)

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1...6472316929

Hey, is this movie any good?

https://twitter.com/whatalanwatches/stat...1419266049

It’s okay. There’s nothing particularly memorable or noteworthy about it but it’s watchable.
I checked out THE EMPTY MAN tonight, which was apparently something of a casualty of the Disney-Fox merger.

Surprisingly ambitious and kind of sprawling. Not at all the cheap, intellectually-challenged, teen-skewing horror flick (along the lines of your SLENDER MANs and your WISH UPONs and your POLAROIDs) I had assumed it was. There’s more substance here -- and quite a bit of an odd personality -- and while it’s not groundbreaking, it is effectively unnerving throughout. The movie does a very good job of conveying this pervasive sense of a truly dark, evil force working underneath the surface.

After an extended prologue in the Himalayas (!) that sets the tonal stage (not unlike the way THE EXORCIST’s Iraq opening establishes the backdrop for the story), we shift into what at first might seem to be a pretty conventional “boogeyman” story, but it eventually goes to some much weirder and creepier places. James Badge Dale is very good as a burned-out former cop who gets ensnared in a disappearance that has increasingly supernatural overtones, and Stephen Root also pops up in a great (though very brief) supporting turn.

It kind of fumbles its ending, but with controlled direction, deliberate pacing (it takes its time to craft tense sequences), and some quality frightening imagery, all things considered, this was a pleasant surprise.
That one’s been tempting me for a few weeks now. It’s likely just a matter of time.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Nice write-up, Belloq. The Empty Man looked interesting.

This popped up in my recommended videos today:

Will Patton vs the Demogorgon in a creepy mine? I'm in.
That title with that preview image had me wondering if maybe the movie was about something else.
First movie on Joe Bob is Tammy & The T-Rex.
I saw this when it first came on Shudder and found it a chore...with Joe Bob's commentary, as always, I appreciate this viewing a bit more. The segment about Stewart Raffill's career alone was a neat summation of why I love Joe Bob. The segment on George Pilgrim was pretty incredible, too.
The Best of the Worst episode for Tammy is pretty great, especially Rich Evans' reaction to the ending.

My late grandfather aka Pa-Paw, called me "hon" as a term of endearment, so this whole opening for LOVE WITCH is kinda mindblowing.
I should have just assumed that WILLYS WONDERLAND could never live up to the movie that was racing through my imagination when I first read that synopsis, but alas. It’s fun enough I suppose. Light and breezy, a couple good creepy moments and a few solid laughs. Cage is weird in it, but oddly restrained, and there’s a disappointing lack of creativity in the kills department.
The Wrong Turn remake turned out to be pretty damned great. The overall premise premise gets turned on the it's head, with the protagonists turning out to be the reactionary assholes. It's a culture clash thriller, with Matthew Modine providing admirable support and looking like Lance Henriksen 15 years ago. Highly recommended.
Giving money to the studio that keeps enabling Adam Sandler is morally equivalent to Satanic kitten rape orgies. - Hypnotoad
Severin Films released on Blu-ray a new documentary on anthology horror films called TALES OF THE UNCANNY, which I watched tonight.

It charts -- with an agreeable amount of detail and depth -- the formation and evolution of the horror portmanteau, beginning first with short story collections in print, before moving into the cinematic medium. Virtually all of the most famous anthologies get airtime, as do some rather obscure titles.

The bulk of the interviews in this doc were conducted during 2020, so that means that we’re getting a lot of Zoom/video conference participants, but thankfully the substance of the discussions is actually of a high quality, and the integration of film clips, stills, trailers, and the like alongside the interviews absolutely allows the overall package to feel professional and serious.

Highly recommended for genre anthology fans.
Thanks for the heads up, Belloq. Just ordered a copy.
The release also comes with two very obscure, full-length, international horror anthologies:

1919's EERIE TALES (from Germany, starring Conrad Veidt) and 1949's UNUSUAL TALES (from France).

I haven't watched either, but that's a pretty phenomenal "bonus" for the package.
Yeah that's a great deal.
I didnt care much for Willy's Wonderland.

Mild spoilers.

The ease that Cage dispatches these possessed robotronic kiddie characters makes no sense with the level of fear the towns folk have for them. Takes me right out of the movie. I mean they could've walked in there with a load of AK-47s and lit the place up. Game over, man!
Richard Franklin's LINK is vastly underappreciated. It kind of rules.

Richard Franklin himself is vastly underappreciated.
Hey Belloq, who's the guy in the middle? Looks like a melting Vincent Price.

[Image: TalesoftheUncannyBLU.jpg]
It's a melting Vincent Price!

From the TALES OF TERROR Poe anthology Roger Corman directed.
Ahh I still need to see that one.