Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Expanse - Syfy
Yeah I think Holden not suspecting is fine because unlike us, he doesn't know he's in a series featuring Chekhov's molecule.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(02-06-2021, 12:50 PM)farsight Wrote: Marco controls the ring because he controls Medina Station. Earth/Mars can't enter the Ring until they figure out how to deal with a Station inside that they can't see, but that can fire on them at will. As for Marco, he's not planning on coming back. He has his people with him, and they have everything they need to build a thriving new life on multiple habitable worlds, and the rest of the Belt can go screw.
So Marco's entire storyline has been about the Belt, gaining it's independence and such but that was just a ruse? His real motivation was to start a new life on a group of planets that over half of his people can never live on? What a terrible way to go with the story. Marco sucks

[Yeah I think Holden not suspecting is fine because unlike us, he doesn't know he's in a series featuring Chekhov's molecule.]
Considering they put the protomolecule on a missile to hide it a few years ago I would think Holden may think of it as a possibility considering all the trouble the Belters went to get it. But it was convenient for them not to think of it
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
He couldn’t concentrate with Naomi in that fridge.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Even after she's back he doesn't seem to care
Well, I think Marco's ultimate plan was to free Belters from the Inners, and by restricting access to the Ring to just Belters and, with the help of Medina station holding off all challengers, Marco has given the Belters literally space, free from interference. Don't need to go down on the planets at all; the zero sum game is that Earth and Mars can't get there, either.

Exactly. In his big speech he lays claim to the ring gates and the systems beyond them on behalf of the Belt. No colony ships get through without the Free Navy's permission, and they're not going to let any ships from Earth or Mars through.

Sauveterre's lecture that Alex saw the tail end of was all about how Medina station is pretty much impregnable because there's only one relatively small way to approach it.

And Marco has been forcing every OPA faction to join the Free Navy or die, which puts the majority of the Belt and outer planets under his control, so a coordinated counter attack on the Ring from the UN and whatever loyal elements of the MCRN are left is basically impossible because it would require going through a massive swathe of hostile space without any place to resupply.

And Earth needs to concentrate as many of its resources it can to keeping the planet from dying because the ecology has been massively destabilized and hundreds of millions of people are dying.
It would've had more teeth if Marco still possessed any menace anymore!

Marco's a narcissist play acting as a zealot because it gets more people worshiping him. He's been a petty asshole the whole time.
Could he talk like a goddamn normal person? Or even a normal Belter? I'm just whining, it's fine.

Marco deliberately being a petty asshole doesn't really make the character more interesting though. A true zealot is a terrifying thing and makes for a great antagonist, a narcissistic jerk doesn't.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The fact that his plans have been pretty damned effective makes him a solid antagonist. He's not much of a character, but I'm okay with that. The aliens are full-on ciphers and they work well as antagonists. They're both serious threats that the heroes will have to... be heroic in order to overcome.

The show doesn't seem particularly interested in Marco himself, so his thinness as a character isn't a big problem. His character story is only there to feed Naomi and her kid.

I had a bigger problem with Drummer's crew, who I never cared about, and who I felt made her character -worse-. Drummer the lovesick captain did nothing for me. Hopefully she gets teamed up with the main cast next season.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Marcos the moist eyed petty bitch does not a compelling villain make.

Season six should start with Anderson Dawes executing Marcos mid-tearful speech on the bridge of his ship and assuming control of the Free Navy.

Finished Season 5 tonight.  While I thought the first four seasons were some of the best TV (sci-fi or otherwise) I've ever seen, Season 5 felt like that situation we've all seem time and time again where another creative team comes in and it feels like a different and lesser show.  I think it's the same creative team but I wasn't keeping track.  At any rate, it just wasn't all that interesting, with the annoyance factor cranked higher than usual with certain characters.  And Jesus Christ at a certain point it's no longer suspenseful dragging out the fate of Naomi for the upteenth time.  The problem with Marco is he has virtually no backstory, so comes off as generic, brooding ethnic bad guy... James Cameron can seem to make that work in comedic form (True Lies), but I found Marco's interesting ambition and point of view didn't have enough context because he just sort of comes out nowhere.  I sort of get why he was doing what he was doing, but the scale of his assaults really needed a dramatic focal point beyond the transparent "vengeful foreign terrorist" allegory.  He seems to have deep feelings for what he's doing, but where did those feelings come from beyond the surface level dialogue?  It mostly didn't work for me.  

The show seems to work best when the crew of the Rocinante are together.  An entire season of them apart retroactively made me realize that none of them are all that interesting on their own.   I don't feel like I know Amos anymore than I did at the end of Season 4, which made his sidequest seem a bit pointless in the grand scheme of things.  We already knew he was a survivor from harsh circumstances, but what did he learn about himself going back to Baltimore?  Holden seems kind of in stasis to me... I can barely even remember what happened with him this season before Fred Johnson bit the dust.  He's kind of legendary, but how does he feel about that?  I don't know.  I honestly thought Naomi should've died instead of Alex, who ultimately seems kind of worthless in the grand scheme.... Bobbie used him spy on the convoy and then he just dies... his wife hates him and he didn't seem to get a chance to move on.  Naomi on the other hand has a ton more baggage and I felt needed to be made an example of in dramatic terms, a kind of karmic debt.  It also would've given Holden something else to deal with besides scowling and giving orders.  I also liked Alex as a personality better than Naomi.  I was also just starting to enjoy Statham's character and he bites it.  Same with Fred Johnson, who seemed to vanish for an entire season.  This show has a habit of killing people I wanna see more of and sparing people I wanna fast forward through... like the annoying reporter lady.  I also hated how Chrisjen seemed to devolve in a cursing, shrieking ball of negativity all of a sudden.  I may need to go back and watch the first three seasons, but I don't remember her being that acidic.  

The show peaked at S3, S4 was pretty good but I still felt the overall storyline was a bit weak compared to the others.  And S5 seemed to drift further into murky territory.  And I still don't totally understand most of the battle sequences in this show... random ships shooting at each other.  The problem is the ships themselves all look too similar to me.  I also had a hard time keeping track of what was going on with the ring... who was guarding it and why, and what the logistics of it were.  I dunno... I really like the first three seasons, but am not all that excited about another season.  I don't feel the showrunner and writers did a great job with the stakes and the character development.... at least I don't feel as hooked as I did in S1-3.
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Never realized that Warren Peace from Sky High went on to captain the Rocinante.  

[Image: tenor.gif]

Oh f---

That's my new favorite fact ever.

Every time The Covenant comes on cable I find it funny he got the lead role over Sebastian Stan, Taylor Kitsch, and Chace Crawford. It's like he was being set up to be the next big thing(also lead in 10,000 BC right after) and then was discarded quickly.
I can't even anymore. My mind can't handle this!

Finishing up Persepolis Rising and I understand with the time jump in this along with the finale of Babylon's Ashes is a fine place to finish the show. But dammit, I want to see the Laconian ships in action. Also, James "Old"en.

Alright I can finally talk about this. I started season one a few months back and have been binging on and off until just finally finishing season five. Wooh! That was a helluva ride.

Sucks about Alex's actor, but I guess I'm more satisfied with the Roci's pilot seat being ooccupied by another character, rather than just recasting.

I will say that Bobbi Draper is probably my favorite character.

And lastly for now, I'm sorry my dudes, but I can't unsee Drummer's new girlfriend (uh, now ex-girlfriend) being a female dead ringer for Burn Gorman/Murtry. It was really distracting.
Git' in under mah belly!