Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The B Action Movie Thread
Gareth Evans signs deal with Netflix, will direct Tom Hardy in HAVOC:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/gareth-evan...234696845/

Quote:Evans will write and direct the pic as well as produce for One More One Productions, as will Hardy, Ed Talfan for Severn Screen and Aram Tertzakian for XYZ Films. The story is set after a drug deal gone wrong, a bruised detective must fight his way through a criminal underworld to rescue a politician’s estranged son, while unraveling a deep web of corruption and conspiracy that ensnares his entire city.
(02-19-2021, 12:20 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Gareth Evans signs deal with Netflix, will direct Tom Hardy in HAVOC:

Quote:Evans will write and direct the pic as well as produce for One More One Productions, as will Hardy, Ed Talfan for Severn Screen and Aram Tertzakian for XYZ Films. The story is set after a drug deal gone wrong, a bruised detective must fight his way through a criminal underworld to rescue a politician’s estranged son, while unraveling a deep web of corruption and conspiracy that ensnares his entire city.

That sounds promising. It will be nice to see Tom Hardy bring the pain in Gareth Evans choreography. I haven't seen Gangs of London yet. Was that left open to a second season or was it one and done?

(02-19-2021, 12:22 AM)macready Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 05:01 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Trailer for newcomer Ken Zheng in the martial arts flick INSIGHT, which co-stars Keith David, Tony Todd and Sean Patrick Flannery:

Comes out on March 12th.

That is a good cast in support, but it looks like the lead may be lacking in the acting and charisma department.  I guess we will see whether it turns out well.  

This, however, looks like it will be a great time:

I'm looking forward to Mortal Kombat. Special effects have caught up to the video games in turns of what they can show on screen. Looks like they actually have some creative use for them in the case of Sub Zero. We'll see if the film surrounding them is good, but I'm just excited to finally see some fatalities on screen.
Yep, there will be a second season of Gangs of London. No word on when it will air.

The good news is Michael Jai White and Mark Dacascos have a new movie coming out. The bad news is the actual lead is Sean Patrick Flannery and it looks terrible:

Good AOA on tap for Tuesday:

Oh boy did i enjoy 6 Underground on Netflix last night.

Bay has serious sins to pay for his Transformers films. But after 13 Soldiers and this, he's all right in my book.

Next up, The Old Guard and Wu Assassins.
(02-19-2021, 12:20 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Gareth Evans signs deal with Netflix, will direct Tom Hardy in HAVOC:

I'm glad it's finally happening.  Evans and his action man, Jude Poyer have been talking about this one for a while.  Recently a post was shared about them designing the action sequences and they are aiming for Hard Boiled levels of mayhem. 

Hopefully with Hardy on, they can pull together a serious supporting cast for the film.  

(02-19-2021, 02:45 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Yep, there will be a second season of Gangs of London. No word on when it will air.

The good news is Michael Jai White and Mark Dacascos have a new movie coming out. The bad news is the actual lead is Sean Patrick Flannery and it looks terrible:

I'll never be not happy to see them working, but like with Dolph and JCVD, some of the paycheck gigs are truly worthless. 

(02-19-2021, 04:20 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Good AOA on tap for Tuesday:

Sweet!!  This one is so obvious, but still a welcome surprise.  I guess we should expect Florentine and Johnson at some point too.
Hopefully Hyams has some news on that Maniac Cop series he was set to work on. Unless it's D.O.A. in which case we won't hear anything about it.
Hopefully, there will be an update.  

There is no clamour to remake the series, so let's hope that when/if it happens it is with the folks that were originally announced. 

I'm hoping to catch his recent film, Alone, at some point soon.  Has anyone seen that one?  Reviews have been largely positive.
Finally caught EXTRACTION on Netflix.
Yeah, this was awesome. I am not the biggest fan of Hemsworth but he does a good job here as a suicidal soldier of fortune. The action scenes are clearly shot and first rate as well.
Just took in The Karate Kid Part II after coverage from We Hate Movies. Wow, what a great follow-up. It takes the "new kid in the block" trope and turns it into "blood fued" and it absolutely rules.

Miyagi takes centerstage for the most part and you learn his backstory and reasons for leaving. Honor is placed on high in this one. As well as traditions and how they manage to be passed down.

Interesting to think that if Miyagi HADNT honked Kreese's nose, maybe he DOESN'T come back in part III to swear revenge?

Was a moment of sheer embarrassment, the groundwork for the embarrassment that was Karate Kid part III.
Vern reviews Paul W Anderson's MONSTER HUNTER (2020)
https://outlawvern.com/2021/02/22/monste.../#comments
I saw KID 2 not long ago also. Holds up pretty well. Still say I prefer part 1 but it’s a good sequel.

Funny seeing Clarence Gilyard Jr. show up in the middle of it.
While I agree that The Karate Kid III is not a patch on the first two films, it does have a cheesy charm.  Pretty much all of it comes from the hammy villainy brought on by the Silver-Kreese alliance. 

That scene with Silver laughing behind the wall?   Heart
Now i really want to dig into part III again. I feel like Cobra Kai is validating a bit of the plot points laid out in it what with it's focus on toxic masculinity, that is Kreese and Silver to a T.

Has anyone who has watched all 3 seasons of Cobra Kai feel as if part III has been canonized in a more positive light?

Similar to Rocky IV being validated (even though it isnt as reviled as KKIII) is KKIII poised as a more noted entry?
They've yet to really lean into much from KK3 on the show. They've hinted at some things but Season 3 of the show dealt more with aspects from KARATE KID 2.
It's so fucked up that Yukie pretty much asks Miyagi to take her with him back to the states and...nope. Drag. They don't even address it or really anything about part II in part III.

Now I need to get a Netflix account and catch the hell up on Cobra Kai.
I watched the Bozworth B classic STONE COLD (1991) tonight. Who knew a 30 year action movie could be so prophetic. Neo-nazi degerates storming a capital to assasiinate politicians they disagree with! Seriously though, gave it a different vibe watching it after last month. I love the over the top action and ridiculous outfits Boz wears. So much fun.
Of all the great things about STONE COLD, and there’s lots, I’ll never not appreciate Gregory Scott Cummins’ scream when the motorcycle is launched into his helicopter.

The John Hyms Art of Action episode is up!

Really interesting to hear him talk about sound design and how he builds this into the set up of the action scenes at the writing level. There's a real thoughtful approach to the way he shoots his movies.
Good episode. Has anyone watched Hyams’ Black Summer series? I hadn’t heard of it before this interview.
That was a great episode.  Hyams is a really underrated director, so it was great to hear him go into detail about how he approaches his projects.  

It is very interesting to hear that he would do many things differently.  It's a testament to the quality of his work that I'm not sure if he could improve on what he achieved with his best films.  I remember when UniSol: Regeneration was filming and it was revealed that Dolph was working 3 days and JCVD a couple of weeks (or something like that).  The film's real star was MMA guy Arlovski and we all thought the film was going to be a wasted opportunity. That all changed once the film was released and I have always watched anything that Hyams put out.  

That does not include Alone or Black Summer, though.  I will have to check the TV series out; it is supposed to be on Netflix.  Hyams used his time on Z-Nation to try things out and I would hope that Black Summer is an improvement. 

No mention of Maniac Cop, so I hope that was just so he doesn't jinx the project.  Either way, I look forward to whatever he puts out next.
So this explains why.
https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/statu...-hunter%2F
That Hyams episode prompted me to finally check out ALONE. Pretty good. Story is your standard "Lady in the middle of nowhere trying to flee a psychopath" type deal but it's executed well. I'm not too familiar with the leads but they did a fine job. Nice to see Anthony Heald show up in a key role.

Even though it's a thriller I had to laugh at one moment where Hyams' REGENERATION-style of fights comes into play.
Reservoir Dogs is more than just violence, quotable lines and Madonna references.  It has a very strong theme of identity and what it means to be an outlier amongst an accepted social order.  Check out my latest essay on this Tarantino classic.

In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Enjoyed watching that. Makes a lot of good points as to why a seasoned criminal like Mr. White would make some of his choices in the film.
(02-24-2021, 02:55 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Enjoyed watching that. Makes a lot of good points as to why a seasoned criminal like Mr. White would make some of his choices in the film.

Thanks.
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Scott has a single-take actioner on the way, reuniting with Ashley Greene from Accident Man:

https://cityonfire.com/scott-adkins-re-t...phillippe/

Here's hoping that it turns out well.
What a joke that they put promo art together for the film and misspell Scott’s name. 

Not too thrilled at the “single take” for the whole movie aspect. Feels too gimmicky but always good to see him get a new movie off the ground.
Did you like Hardcore Henry, Molt?

I appreciate them trying something different. But one movie is all i need.
Didn't like it. Not one bit in fact.

This Adkins flick wouldn't go that route with the whole first person perspective, at least I assume it wouldn't. I'm all for having single shot action sequences, those can be terrific. Just not big on trying to do that with the whole movie. BUSHWICK tried it a few years back and I wasn't bowled over by that one.
Netflix certainly has been a godsend for me as a movie lover. There's a lot missing in their library, but enough to keep me busy for a long time.

Since getting Netflix last Thursday, i've seen EXTRACTION, 6 UNDERGROUND, THE OLD GUARD, PUNISHER SEASON 1, ROMA (Didn't quite care for that one).

Watching Carlito's Way tonight. It's leaving Netflix here in the next few days , so i better catch it first.
Some news and notes regarding new film announcements:

First, Frank Grillo signs on for M.I.A.:

https://deadline.com/2021/03/frank-grill...234703871/

Quote:Grillo will play Jax, a man who wakes up in a precarious situation with no memory, no time to spare and everyone in the criminal world out to kill him. With nowhere to turn, he is forced to team up with a streetwise criminal to find out who he is and realizes he might not like the answers he uncovers.

Alain Moussi is set for KING OF KILLERS:
https://www.screendaily.com/news/underwo...39.article
Quote:Moussi (Kickboxer franchise, Jiu Jitsu) will play the lead as a hitman who reluctantly takes part in a $10m assassin competition in Tokyo in order to save his daughter’s life.

And this story is a couple weeks old but I missed it. Thomas Jane to headline a sequel to GIVE 'EM HELL, MALONE:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/thoma...234897805/

Quote:Described as an “against-the-clock” thriller, the upcoming installment picks up as Malone reemerges after a decade of hiding from his past. When a chance encounter suddenly exposes him to the world and a sinister attack puts a ticking clock on his chances of living, Malone sets out to find the man who is trying to kill him.

Wasn't too big on the original MALONE. Surprised there would be interest in a sequel over 10 years later. Always root for Jane though so hopefully it gets made and is an improvement.
ICE TRUCKERS, with Liam Neeson and Laurence Fishburne, bought up by Netflix:

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netflix-lia...234703860/

Quote:Netflix has won U.S. rights to Liam Neeson-Laurence Fishburne action-thriller The Ice Road in what is a record domestic-only deal out of the EFM, we can reveal.

The streamer stumped up $18M for the movie off a promo, we understand, in a deal that was closed over the weekend as the virtual EFM action got underway. There were multiple buyers in the hunt, we hear.

In The Ice Road, after a remote diamond mine collapses in the far northern regions of Canada, an ice driver (Neeson) leads an impossible rescue mission over a frozen ocean to save the lives of trapped miners despite thawing waters and a threat they never see coming.
Neeson's THE MARKSMAN has finally come to Singapore. Will probably catch it next week.
https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/1/2229670...al-history