Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The return of Ambler: New Youtube Channel
For me, Blair Witch started to fall apart when i found myself wondering how much battery power they should have had left for the camcorder by the second day or so.

The climax still kicks though.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(12-25-2020, 02:51 PM)hammerhead Wrote: For me, Blair Witch started to fall apart when i found myself wondering how much battery power they should have had left for the camcorder by the second day or so.

The climax still kicks though.

Out of all the criticisms I've heard, that's a first.

The movie is only 90 minutes and they weren't rolling the entire time.  Safe to assume they had multiple batteries.  Of course the real answer is, it's a movie.
In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Well, y'know, they just never got around to filming the backpack with the pile of spare batteries.
Before Boogie Nights, before Magnolia, before all the cinematic works of art Paul Thomas Anderson gifted film fans, he made a little movie called Hard Eight.  And it would start a trend of complex male characters that would come to define his work.

In 1916 a U.S. court ruling, following the example of company law in Britain, effectively made it illegal for a corporation to be motivated by anything but the maximization of profit.  Corporate social-responsibility, therefore, became illegal. 
Besides being one of my favorite thrillers, Wargames is a textbook example of how to perfectly combine character with theme, and provide enough thrills in the process to captivate audiences. Check out the latest in my Better Than You Remember series.

Very nice!
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I was a bit surprised when I went back to it a few years ago, after having seen it all of once as a kid. It's surprisingly well-calibrated throughout, especially for a premise that would've been relegated to a schlocky kids'-TV-movie/DTV cheapie had it been made ten years later.
Love this cue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Q5DemEn34

(01-06-2021, 04:37 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Love this cue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Q5DemEn34

Yeah, I've been playing the remastered score from Intrada alot recently.  It's fantastic.

I was tempted to mention the music in my video but I don't like doing that without giving examples, and copyright issues are a thing with YT, even in an educational context.

Think about how good the music is in what amounts to a fairly standard thriller (albeit done brilliantly), and the fact that not even major blockbusters get these kinds of amazing scores anymore.  There are still nice scores, but that era of Hollywood where you had brilliant musical work being done quite often is all but gone.

If Wargames had been made today, it likely would've dropped on streaming and vanished amongst the hoarde of other CONTENT, and gotten a generic synth score.
I feel like the only film composers dedicated to melody these days are Alexandre Desplat and Bruno Coulais, and mostly in animated films at that. Besides Williams, obvs.
Ryan Schaddelee and I talk movie makeup, plus the decline of physical FX for computer generated imagery in the latest installment of Under The Hood.

ooooh we were recently talking about this in the Discord in the context of old age makeup prosthetics looking so unconvincing in modern movies!
Besides being infinitely quotable, Pulp Fiction also has a strange morality running through it.  Something I explore in my latest essay.

Really liked the FX episode. I can get into pretty much any two professionals discussing their trade honestly and well.

I can still remember when I went to Chudwest back in 02. Before the big dinner I was killing time in a shopping mall in Pasadena - fun time, let me tell you - and I wound up in a McDonalds behind two guys discussing Attack of the Clones. From their vocabulary and passion I inferred that they were industry pros, albeit at the time unemployed. They really made compelling arguments for the practical fx of the OT and how they could have been incorporated into the prequels. Thought of those two guys at times over the years, really hope they achieved their dreams one way or the other.

Been a while since I did a scene breakdown.  This time it's the "oner" in Robocop, which is a great example of how to shoot a long continuous take while advancing story, character and foreshadowing future events.  I think people would be surprised just how much visual information can be contained in a single scene.

Today I examine the granddaddy of the slasher film.  Psycho laid the groundwork for modern horror, but not quite in the way people think.  It's approach to the heroine and antagonist was unique and linked the two in a way that would come to define the genre going forward.

Good stuff. I never pay enough attention to blocking choices.
(01-27-2021, 02:33 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Good stuff. I never pay enough attention to blocking choices.

Yeah, Hitch was famously meticulous with his shot selection... Fincher before Fincher.  Though I find Hitch's approach way less cold and formal.
Yeah, I've read that sometimes Hitch didn't even shoot a master, just the storyboarded cuts. That way, nobody could re-edit him.
Well to him the film was done the moment he finished storyboarding. A master kind of implies options in the editing room.
And implicit trust in his crew. Supposedly, he never checked shots in the camera viewfinder.

Man, I totally need to re-read Hitchcock/Truffaut now.
Digital cinema has come a long way since Attack of the Clones, the first major Hollywood movie to be shot with digital cameras.  Since then the quality has steadily improved to the point where film is no longer seen as the superior format... but there are still issues with digital that I think need addressing...

awwwww yea
Boogie Night was pretty important to my filmmaking life when I saw it a year or two after release.  It was one of my first DVDs, and to this day has the best director's commentary track I've heard.  It's also one of the best films of the 90s.  I look at it and Pulp Fiction as an important double feature that shaped my sensibilities as a film lover and maker during my formative years.  Today's video is dedicated to this awesome film.

Regarding that second half, I do feel that Anderson seems to relish punishing his characters for their transgressions. It may be significant that the character who comes away the least damaged, Don Cheadle's Buck, is also the only member of the troupe we never see having sex.
Sweeeeeet, and it's not even my birthday!
(02-10-2021, 02:29 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Regarding that second half, I do feel that Anderson seems to relish punishing his characters for their transgressions. It may be significant that the character who comes away the least damaged, Don Cheadle's Buck, is also the only member of the troupe we never see having sex.

Good point.
Reservoir Dogs is more than just violence, quotable lines and Madonna references.  It has a very strong theme of identity and what it means to be an outlier amongst an accepted social order.  Check out my latest essay on this Tarantino classic.

Who knew zombies were more than just moaning, flesh eating monsters?  In my latest video I explore what it is about the zombie phenomenon that hits so deep, and tells us more about ourselves than any daytime soap ever could.

Cobra Kai brought alot of people around to the awesomeness of The Karate Kid. But our culture's current love affair with anti-heroes makes Daniel LaRusso stand out as part of a seeming bygone era of cinematic heroism.  PLEASE NOTE THAT NEW VIDEOS WILL NOW RELEASE FRIDAY INSTEAD OF WEDNESDAY.

Spielberg's first "serious movie" was something no one expected.  A black story that seemed to have little to do with his previous output.  But all of Spielberg's previous protagonists were people struggling in a world that didn't understand them.  The Color Purple is no different.  And at its core, it's a feminist empowerment movie.  Let's take a look.

Pretty much my favourite film-themed movie channel on YT now.

Yes, you heard me. Even above Patrick H Willems.
(03-20-2021, 04:10 PM)Bucho Wrote: Pretty much my favourite film-themed movie channel on YT now.

Yes, you heard me. Even above Patrick H Willems.

Wow, thanks.  I'm close to 1K subscribers, so the channel is growing.
Her was my second favorite movie of 2013, but with time it may now be #1. Its themes of loneliness and isolation in the digital age of "connectivity" were extremely fascinating, so I had to do a video about it.  

I recently rewatched the movie after a long gap

Still incredibly effective