Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Thanks-- seem to remember them going up day after, which why I tried to watch last night. They are, in fact, up now.

They made a monkey out of me with that "new episodes" tag!
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I may have to watch them again, but I kind of enjoy the more schlocky Amityville 2: The Possession over the original.
Re-watching House by the Cemetery. Even though City of the Living Dead is my favorite of the Fulci movies I've seen (I love all that fog and the fallen priest makes for a great, creepy villain), I think this one is the scariest because it really captures that childhood fear of a monster living in the basement.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
I wasn't wild about City of the Living Dead, which I'd only gotten around to for the first time during last years Halloween Challenge. Although it's got some really great parts, and I love how it just becomes an Indiana Jones movie at the end..and a year before Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

It's just too much of a mess for me, feels a little too ill-conceived. The ill-conceivedness of the whole thing is a little odd though given it's clearly a Salem's Lot ripoff. It does seem like a good candidate for a remake, if it could stay as crazy, given it's got some cool stuff. Psychic Not-Vampire Priest killing that one girl, and the aforementioned Indiana Jones like ending (which really feels like the opening of Raiders to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg saw it) are pretty fucking great.

The Beyond, The New York Ripper, and Don't Torture a Duckling are probably my favorite Fulic. Those seem the most complete movies from him, at least of what I've seen, and have some of his best set pieces.
(04-16-2021, 02:48 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Ambler's ode to THE LOST BOYS...

The Lost Boys is one of my all time favorite movies. Sutherland also mentions on the DVD's doc that while David doesn't have a lot of lines, he always gets the last word in a scene. That is one of the things that appealed to him about the character.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I was unaware that Rob Zombie was directing a "Munsters" film, which sounds like his dream project:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives...ive-rumor/

Quote:From what I’m hearing, and I have not been able to confirm this, The Munsters is actually going to be a Peacock original/exclusive that will open day-and-date in theaters via Universal Pictures/UPHE, similar to what Warner Bros. is doing with HBO Max. It’s a great way to strengthen the return on a larger budgeted risk like The Munsters, which is reportedly in the $30M-$40M range.

Digressing, when originally reported, Murphy’s Multiverse went on to write that Sheri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips will be playing Lily and Herman Munster in the Rob Zombie-penned film, with the cast also including Richard Brake, Dan Roebuck, Jorge Garcia and Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson.
This is the best Scream 4 write-up for its 10th anniversary that I've seen yet.  It's pretty much settled that I need another viewing:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials...franchise/

Quote:Yes, the movie is a meta-commentary on horror sequels, remakes, and even meta-horror itself, but its most pointed commentary is about something far more applicable to 2021 than it was upon its release ten years ago. In 2011, social media was generally considered to be innocuous. It was about connecting with old college friends, sharing opinions about the latest episode of The Bachelor, and posting low-res pics of last night’s dinner. But Williamson and Craven saw much darker possibilities lurking below the surface. The film uses social media as a method of deconstructing the nature of fame in the age of Facebook, Twitter, and now Instagram, where personal worth is measured in likes, retweets, and follower count. 

Jill’s motive may be the most compelling of any in the Scream films because it is really no motive at all. And as we learned from the first film, “it’s scarier when there’s no motive.” She seeks only notoriety, fame, and fans. “My friends? What world are you living in?” she tells Sidney, “I don’t need friends. I need fans.” Jill’s monologue has turned out to be frighteningly true. “Look around. We all live in public now, we’re all on the Internet. How do you think people become famous anymore? You don’t have to achieve anything. You just gotta have fucked-up shit happen to you.” How many names of killers do we know because of social media posts shared on national news? How many atrocities have been committed by “nobodies” seeking any kind of attention they can get? How many of their “manifestos” have been published and spread through social-networking sites? This foresight into the dark underbelly of social media may well be the greatest reason for the reevaluation of Scream 4 in recent years. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be far-too prophetic.
I really of hope Zombie's Munsters movie has makeup fx like the monsters in his music videos. He clearly seems to love the whole aesthetic of classic monster movies and stuff like EC comics, so something like The Munsters seems like something he could have a lot of fun with.

Scream 4 is probably the only one of the bunch I like. Although I did like the original Scream the first time I watched it a lot, and I haven't rewatched Scream 4 since seeing it on Netflix years ago. Thankfully the version I saw of Scream when it came out on VHS happened not to be the butchered theatrical cut, otherwise I don't think I would've even liked it the first time.
Quote:Digressing, when originally reported, Murphy’s Multiverse went on to write that Sheri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips will be playing Lily and Herman Munster in the Rob Zombie-penned film, with the cast also including Richard Brake, Dan Roebuck, Jorge Garcia and Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson.

That sounds DREADFUL.

Just finished SLAXX on Shudder. For a movie about killer pants (that dance), it's oddly serious, spending a healthy chunk of the movie arguing about fair trade and GMOs. On the bright side, it's a quick watch at 77 minutes.
I know we’ve disavowed Shane Carruth since last year, but The Dead Center is up on Prime.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(04-19-2021, 06:30 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: I was unaware that Rob Zombie was directing a "Munsters" film, which sounds like his dream project:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives...ive-rumor/

Quote:From what I’m hearing, and I have not been able to confirm this, The Munsters is actually going to be a Peacock original/exclusive that will open day-and-date in theaters via Universal Pictures/UPHE, similar to what Warner Bros. is doing with HBO Max. It’s a great way to strengthen the return on a larger budgeted risk like The Munsters, which is reportedly in the $30M-$40M range.

Digressing, when originally reported, Murphy’s Multiverse went on to write that Sheri Moon Zombie and Jeff Daniel Phillips will be playing Lily and Herman Munster in the Rob Zombie-penned film, with the cast also including Richard Brake, Dan Roebuck, Jorge Garcia and Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson.

Elvira as Grandma Munster or get to fuck!

Speaking of the Scream series, The Halloweenies podcast theme for 2021 is the Scream series and the movies Randy references. Their episode on Prom Night made me want to give it a chance.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I mean, I’m no huge Zombie fan, but that’s clearly a must see.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Hahahaha that Rob Zombie MUNSTERS thing sounds like an SNL sketch. An extremely bad SNL sketch. Obviously a must see.
So.....is Zombie's Munsters a comedy?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(04-20-2021, 02:17 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So.....is Zombie's Munsters a comedy?

Zombie randomly doing a comedy sure would be weird, but I can't imagine this not being a comedy - or, at least, an attempt at one.
Randomly? You never saw Tiny Fucked a Stump?

Prom Night 1980: As I previously posted The Halloweenies podcast on this movie made me want to give it a chance; even though their take on it was that it was more interesting than good. After watching it, I agree. While I like slow burn horror movies, a good portion of this movie is boring. Its not much better once it gets to the prom. The kills aren't creative; well for the most part anyway. Although the reveal of the killer and his motivation is a good idea.

What I liked about about the movie has nothing to do with horror. Jamie Lee Curtis is good in this and it was fun to see her tear up the dance floor. While the soundtrack isn't the A list disco tunes, I still enjoyed it. Of course I got a kick out of seeing a Kiss poster in the cafeteria.

Final though; man does one character look like The Frozen Caveman Lawyer.
I like PROM NIGHT. I appreciate the idea of kills happening around a high school during a major function.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
JLC disco dancing in Prom Night deserves all the fire emojis

Anyone watch Neil Marshall's The Reckoning yet?
Wonderful cheese!

(04-23-2021, 12:07 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: Anyone watch Neil Marshall's The Reckoning yet?

I've heard it's really not good.
Had no idea there’s a brand new Neil Marshall movie floating around out there. I’ll have to check it out, even if it’s bad.
(04-23-2021, 12:46 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Had no idea there’s a brand new Neil Marshall movie floating around out there. I’ll have to check it out, even if it’s bad.

Yes it stars the lady he ruined his career for.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(04-23-2021, 01:45 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Yes it stars the lady he ruined his career for.

Tell me more!

I always just assumed HELLBOY being bad was what ruined his career.
Let's just say he got involved with a very ambitious actress who was also involved with several studio heads.
PROM NIGHT II: HELLO MARY LOU is also delightfully weird. The Joe Bob episode on that one is quite good, as I recall.

Speaking of, Joe Bob dropped some hints about tonight's double feature:

Quote:Clues for this week's movies on #TheLastDriveIn: 2 battles to the death with psychos, one domestic, one public. Send guesses to
@kinky_horror, who will break ties and supervise prize basket protocol.

I'm thinking the "domestic" psycho movie will probably be THE STEPFATHER?
I thought at first that one of the Joe Bob films tonight would be Psycho Goreman, except that doesn't premiere on Shudder until next month.

The Stepfather seems likely.
AUDITION!
I watched Scare Me, the Shudder original from last year, and it’s a pretty fresh take on the anthology. In fact, I was so interested in the conceit that I wanted to give it every opportunity to work. And sometimes it does. It reminded me of theater, really, specifically a great Irish play called The Weir, about a bunch of old drunks trying to impress one another with their scariest ghost stories.

Only problem there is that the stories in The Weir are real stories, and scary. The ones here are mostly not, just excuses for performance and/or furthering what I guess you’d call the wrap-around story. Also, every time I’ve seen The Weir, the acting has been excellent, which makes sense, because this story telling concept absolutely demands compelling performers. In Scare Me, the acting never rises above adequate, and doesn’t always get there. I’ve never seen such a huge acting showcase that lacked great acting before, and predictably, it’s not great. Too bad, because it was a cool idea.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
More of an exploitation movie, but I'm watching The Last Drive-in episode for Class of 1984.

Stegman is a great 80's movie villain. Could've done without the gang rape scene. I had an easier time watching the girl hack away at the guy in Audition.
Quote:Clues for this week's #TheLastDriveIn:  First up is a sequel to a horror classic paying homage to a sequel to a horror classic. Second is one of those rediscoveries that caused a director to be recognized 30 years later.

Most people on Twitter/FB are guessing the first is Bride of Reanimator.
Celebrated ALIEN day with a rewatch of COVENANT, a deeply weird movie that's going to be critically re-evaluated in 15 years and declared a masterpiece ala BLADERUNNER. Since the guy never seems to stop working, I really hope Ridley has one more of these in him, just to close out the David Trilogy.
I do appreciate with COVENANT that Ridley just said, "Okay, you want a creature feature? You got it!"
Just finished a very solid doc about Hammer Films on Tubi called FLESH AND BLOOD: THE HAMMER HERITAGE OF HORROR.

It's comprehensive and long, so the very casual fan would likely find it excessive, but for serious devotees of Hammer, this is a great look behind the scenes.  Huge roster of interview subjects, including not just many key Hammer players, but also filmmaker fans like Martin Scorsese, John Carpenter, and Joe Dante (who executive produced).  Narrated by both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (I believe this was his final project before his death).
I really love Covenant. It's this big weird gothic horror sci-fi movie with cool designs, the action is great, (The best in the series) it's got some pretty fantastic designs, and it even drips into like trash horror stuff like the shower killer which you probably wouldn't expect from a $100 million movie...even if it is horror.

Everything with David and Walter makes that movie. Their robot fight also seems like the kind of thing that will redefine how fights between robots, and just a robot fighting, will be done going forward; it's the kind of thing you see and it's like: Why hasn't this always been done this way?

Although the colors seem off on the Blu-ray I have. The whole thing looks glossier than the theatre version.
Covenant is one of best and most watched 4K discs, as it turned out. I think it’s number three in the franchise.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN