Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
(04-23-2021, 01:17 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote:
Quote:
  • But Johnson also went a step further, declaring he sees “no reason to be pushing vaccines on people,” arguing their distribution should be “limited” to those most vulnerable to coronavirus, and asking, “if you have a vaccine, quite honestly, what do you care if your neighbor has one or not?”

His comments are so irresponsible and idiotic it's difficult to pick just one to focus on, but I implore everyone to read that carefully.

Taken at face value (and I believe he meant exactly what he said), this is the summation:  "So long as you feel you are safe, why should you care if other people are in danger?"

I don't want to go all "we live in a society" here, but this line of thinking represents a fundamental disconnect between the notions of common welfare and purpose that, supposedly, are the reason why institutions such as countries exist in the first place.  

We seem to be beset at all levels of government with soulless, selfish psychopaths.

That's not UCB co-founder Matt Walsh, is it?

(04-23-2021, 07:23 PM)doc happenin Wrote: That's not UCB co-founder Matt Walsh, is it?

Thankfully, no.  This Walsh is a Daily Wire commentator who's prominent in conservative circles.
The images at the links are disturbing, so beware:

https://twitter.com/dansiddiqui/status/1...7233251330

Quote:Never imagined that I would be a witness to these scenes in my hometown. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues to wreak havoc in New Delhi, India’s national capital. Pictures taken on 23.04.21. @Reuters #CovidIndia

And:

https://twitter.com/LicypriyaK/status/13...9620862978

Quote:Dear World,

Plz help my country. Plz support my country. India is running out of oxygen.
You have to be kidding.

Pictures at the link:

https://twitter.com/Lollardfish/status/1...5435091972

Quote:Meanwhile in England, people are donning yellow stars with “no covid certificates” on them. Photos from @chloe_adlestone.
I am going to be a complete dick to anyone who avoids vaccination. And feel great doing it.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Speaking of vaccination I'm getting my first shot today. Huzzah!

As for those anti-vaxx gobshites in England...well, there's not much you can say when you see the blatantly offensive stupidity on display.

Edit: And the first shot's done. My arm's a little sore but otherwise I'm feeling fine.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Thumbs-up!

I really hope that Yellow Badge of Stupid thing takes off in the US. It'll make it so convenient, knowing who to avoid.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Three days post-Moderna #2 and I have felt nothing. I almost would've thought I didn't get it if it hadn't burned like molten shit going in.
White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan:

https://twitter.com/JakeSullivan46/statu...5668080644

Quote:The U.S. is deeply concerned by the severe COVID outbreak in India. We are working around the clock to deploy more supplies and support to our friends and partners in India as they bravely battle this pandemic. More very soon.
Just thinking about what the response would've been under a second term of the Trump administration gives me a full-body cringe-shudder.
(04-25-2021, 11:53 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: Just thinking about what the response would've been under a second term of the Trump administration gives me a full-body cringe-shudder.

We still have Sen. Johnson around to cringe at.  Dr. Fauci's been making the rounds about him:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1386331909932847104

Quote:"You may think it doesn't make any difference [if you get infected] because you may not get any symptoms, but you may inadvertently and innocently pass the infection onto someone else who could have a serious consequence" -- Dr. Fauci on Ron Johnson's anti-vaccine comments
(04-25-2021, 11:53 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: Just thinking about what the response would've been under a second term of the Trump administration gives me a full-body cringe-shudder.

The vaccine rollout would have been a "First come first served" box on the doorstep of Mar-A-Lago.

The box would not be refrigerated.
India was planning to send vaccines to other countries, but those plans are shut down now because of the terrible surge:

https://twitter.com/OliverStuenkel/statu...8830104577

Quote:India is now seeing more covid infections than any other country by far, with terrible effects across the world: India had planned to export millions of doses to poor countries; now, given the country’s stark vaccination shortfall, exports have essentially been shut down.
Younger patients are filling up hospitals in Michigan now:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/michig...d=msedgntp

Quote:At Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, in one of America’s worst coronavirus hot spots, entire units are still filled with Covid-19 patients. People weak with the virus still struggle to sit up in bed. And the phone still rings with pleas to transfer patients on the verge of death to units with higher-tech equipment.

But unlike previous surges, it now is younger and middle-aged adults — not their parents and grandparents — who are taking up many of Michigan’s hospital beds. A 37-year-old woman on a ventilator after giving birth. A 41-year-old father. A 55-year-old autoworker who has been sick for weeks.
Where do Republicans find these guys?

https://twitter.com/malar0ne/status/1386004362548310018

Quote:Paul Alexander, the Trump science advisor who pushed for a Forced Infection strategy, is arguing that no one under 70 who is "healthy" should get vaccinated. Published by AIER, the thinktank that brought us the Great Barrington Declaration. So I guess he still wants us infected.
"Trump science advisor" is a helluva thing to put on your resume.
Would love to see what that guy's heavily invested in. Companies that make ventilators? Coffins?
As someone under 70 who got it and still doesn't have his full sense of smell back, he is cordially invited to suck it.
Germany will send oxygen, medical aid to India:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthc...ce=twitter
I can't say I was expecting this:

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/13...7898471428

Quote:NEW: WV Gov. Justice announces $100 savings bonds for young people — ages 16 to 35 — who get vaccinated
(04-25-2021, 12:18 PM)mondguy Wrote:

The vaccine rollout would have been a "First come first served" box on the doorstep of Mar-A-Lago.

The box would not be refrigerated.

It would have been something more along the lines of what was proposed in "Outbreak"....because, you know that there were some DJT toadies would think that 'Outbreak' is a way better movie than 'Contagion'.

".....Contagion? Man, that shit is boring...Outbreak has a cool helicopter chase in it...."
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Anywhere else, I wouldn't be linking to this deranged horseshit, but I trust our fine community here.

Thrust this piece right into the Sun:

https://amgreatness.com/2021/04/26/i-won...erals-mad/

Quote:But in truth, I’m not really avoiding the vaccine due to potential medical complications, or because of the speed with which it was produced. 

Personal liberty is not the reason I’m avoiding it, either. I’m not a member of the “don’t tread on me” club. Though I don’t think mandated “vaccine passports” are a brilliant idea, my refusal to take the vaccine is not related to some perceived or real government overreach. I’m not here to take a principled stand against the federal or state governments on this issue. In fact, I’m saving my principled stands against the federal or state governments for issues that really matter, like strengthening libel laws so that lying journalists can finally be shipped off to Guantanamo Bay where they belong.  

My primary reason for refusing the vaccine is much simpler: I dislike the people who want me to take it, and it makes them mad when they hear about my refusal. That, in turn, makes me happy. 

Maybe it’s petty, but the thought of the worst people on planet earth, those whom I like to call the Branch Covidians, literally shaking as I stroll into Target vaccine-free, makes me smile.

So I have decided that because the vile political Left, which I despise in the abstract, wants me to take their coveted vaccine, I simply will not. After the horrifying displeasure of meeting several of their militant COVID-19 restriction enforcers in person over the past year, I have become even more steadfast in my stance. 

My newly formed and well-developed opinion on vaccines is this: if those bastards want me to get the jab, I’m not going to do it, because it annoys them. 
The dipshit train just keeps on rolling along...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56905752

If I was a teacher at this school, I'd be taking out loans to secure the best legal representation money can buy.  And I'd love to get a peek into the finances of these "school owners".  This kind of horrible decision-making usually bleeds into other areas of life for people like this.
In regards to Iron Maiden's post, I'm more convinced than ever that paying attention to anti covid vax nutjobs is a mistake. You can't shame the shameless, and pleading with them only emboldens them.

So I recognize the irony in this statement when I say "Fuck you, I got my immunity."
In many cases, I display that nonsense because our crazier relatives and Facebook friends are the ones following it.  Posters here get a sense of where this stuff comes from, and realize that linking it elsewhere wouldn't be a good idea.  Yes, I highlighted the gist of his "point," but the piece is also riddled with nonsense my conservative neighbor who refuses to get vaccinated was talking about last week.

It's still a more egregious example, though, yes.

Someone like Joe Rogan is probably better suited for this thread since his following is massive, and he doesn't seem to understand that getting vaccinated protects other people:

https://twitter.com/AlexPattyy/status/13...5156063234

Quote:Spotify’s Joe Rogan encourages "healthy" young people not to get a coronavirus vaccine. His show is Spotify's most popular podcast. 

“If you're like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I'll go no.”

Video at the link.
Getting the 'rona and suffering consequences and potentially infecting vulnerable family members to OWN THE LIBS!

Yes, let us reason with and meet these folks halfway.

“The Gwyneth Paltrow of dude-bros” ftw.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
This goes beyond a simple right/left divide. The comments from that RW asshole in Maiden's post above is full blown anti-social personality disorder.

It's narcissistic immaturity taken to it's logical conclusion- "If you don't play the game my way, I'm taking my ball and going home"

I think that while giving these sociopaths more attention can embolden them, I think it is also important to acknowledge them and their cruel thought patterns.
Shining a light on these cruel psychological thought patterns is the first step to some sort of cure....if that is possible.

That said, I think it's important to try and be sympathetic to these folks and their pernicious irrationality....but it's fucking tough.

...."But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Poke #2!

See you assholes in the movies in two weeks!

Just kidding. Way easier to watch Mortal Kombat on HBO Max.

I probably won't be shocking anyone by pointing out that this WWE referee is really big into QAnon.

Video at the link:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1387259525040943104

Quote:If you were at the WWE PC this evening and wondered why Drake Wuertz looked like he had been crying, that's because he Zoomed into a Seminole County Board of County Commissioners meeting about mask mandates to spread the "child sex traffickers love COVID masks" conspiracy theory.
Our ancestors: "So....there's a plague. And you HAVE the vaccine. And lots of people ARE REFUSING IT??"

Don't get Covid. I literally haven't smelled anything since last year. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever come back at this point..

(04-28-2021, 08:16 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Our ancestors: "So....there's a plague. And you HAVE the vaccine. And lots of people ARE REFUSING IT??"

Don't get Covid. I literally haven't smelled anything since last year. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever come back at this point..

I know. I remember all too well at the beginning of this about the uncertainty of when and if a vaccine would be developed.  To get three effective domestic ones within the same year was a technological miracle.  

Honestly, I hope the data shows this stops infection and transmission for fully vaccinated people.  I have had it with coddling those who can help stop this but choose not to.  My empathy has run dry.  Fuck 'em.
Full immunity as of today! Just in time too, as we're lowering the distancing mandate from 6 feet to 3 feet.
Just this guy, you know?
I know it's not, but I find the idea of everyone suddenly moving 3 feet closer to each other oddly amusing.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.