Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Watched THE EMPTY MAN last night. Do yourselves a favor and ignore the stupid, creepypasta name because it is actually a remarkably well shot, Lovecraftian slow burner. It fails to nail the landing, but even so I'd definitely say that it was time well spent. The director's one to watch.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(04-27-2021, 09:02 PM)simbob Wrote: Everything with David and Walter makes that movie.

Yep.  COVENANT rocks as a creature feature and I think Ridley can do that stuff in his sleep at this point - the whole sequence leading up to Amy Seimetz's death is a real showstopper; tense and scary and mean - but David and Walter are the thematic meat and potatoes, and its kind of incredible that in the middle of a major summer blockbuster that has been hyping the return of one of the most iconic movie monsters of all time, the action grinds to a halt for this:

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

(04-28-2021, 02:32 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched THE EMPTY MAN last night. Do yourselves a fair and ignore the stupid, creepypasta name because it is actually a remarkably well shot, Lovecraftian slow burner. It fails to nail the landing, but even so I'd definitely say that it was time well spent. The director's one to watch.

Also, really glad to see this one getting some love. Generally speaking, we always need more cosmic horror, and if movie studios have to cut bad trailers to try and sell them as teen slashers / creepypasta junk with generic titles, then so be it!
(04-28-2021, 10:12 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Also, really glad to see this one getting some love.  Generally speaking, we always need more cosmic horror, and if movie studios have to cut bad trailers to try and sell them as teen slashers / creepypasta junk with generic titles, then so be it!

I just hope the director gets another shot because it is SO well made. It doesn't match them script-wise, but in terms of pure craft I'd put this debut up there with Hereditary and The Witch.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Jeffrey Combs will be on The Last Drive-in Friday.

They're definitely showing Bride of Reanimator.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Looks like we’re getting a new David Cronenberg flick next year?!?!?!?

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/david-...234633841/
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
That it's being touted as his return to body horror certainly has my attention.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The brief synopsis I read on it seems less early David than more Brandon Cronenberg, tbh.
I didn’t think there were any plot details out yet. It’s the same title as one of his earliest films though, so maybe it’s gonna be some kind of remake/reimagining/riff
My Alien Covenant memory was tripping and falling on my ass while walking up the steps of my local AMC on opening weekend.
New Shudder vamp flick BOYS FROM COUNTY HELL is fun. There's a pretty cool gimmick where people's blood is drawn to the main vampire when he's close; it kinda pours out of their bodies and flows in his general direction. Its weird and unsettling and (I think) not something I've seen before. The movie itself is in the SHAUN OF THE DEAD realm; not close in terms of quality, but its funny, with a bit of emotional heft, and it takes the horror stuff seriously.
It's about time we got a new David Cronenberg movie. I was starting to worry we'd never get another one.

This was added to that link on Crimes of the Future today:

Quote:According to Deadline, the films “takes a deep dive into the not-so-distant future where humankind is learning to adapt to its synthetic surroundings. This evolution moves humans beyond their natural state and into a metamorphosis, altering their biological makeup. While some embrace the limitless potential of trans-humanism, others attempt to police it. Either way, ‘Accelerated Evolution Syndrome,’ is spreading fast. Saul Tenser is a beloved performance artist who has embraced Accelerated Evolution Syndrome, sprouting new and unexpected organs in his body. Along with his partner Caprice, Tenser has turned the removal of these organs into a spectacle for his loyal followers to marvel at in real time theatre. But with both the government and a strange subculture taking note, Tenser is forced to consider what would be his most shocking performance of all.”
I'm in.
(04-27-2021, 07:52 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Just finished a very solid doc about Hammer Films on Tubi called FLESH AND BLOOD: THE HAMMER HERITAGE OF HORROR.

It's comprehensive and long, so the very casual fan would likely find it excessive, but for serious devotees of Hammer, this is a great look behind the scenes.  Huge roster of interview subjects, including not just many key Hammer players, but also filmmaker fans like Martin Scorsese, John Carpenter, and Joe Dante (who executive produced).  Narrated by both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (I believe this was his final project before his death).

I watched this last night and I had a good time. Even though I've only seen a couple of Lee's Dracula flicks and Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, I still was interested in every aspect of the doc. Not only are the movies discussed, but the business end as well.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Yeah, the sort of "family business" stuff was pretty interesting.
Pretty good Joe Bob's Last Drive-In this week. I hadn't seen BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR all the way through, and it was better than I expected. The ending especially is loaded with some quality practical fx and gore. The interview segments with Jeffrey Combs were pretty awkward, although I think Combs may just be a really awkward guy.

I had seen NEXT OF KIN a few months ago, and liked it much more during the Joe Bob screening. Not the scariest, but as a delivery system for bizarre imagery, it works incredibly well.

I also watched the giallo EYE IN THE LABYRINTH from 1972...it does that thing a lot (most?) giallos do, where the subject matter is incredibly pervy and weird but the whole thing is somehow really boring.

Yesterday, on May 1, I rewatched MIDSOMMAR, featuring an obscure Pagan ceremony to honor the May Queen. I continue to LOOOOVE the cinematography and score and directorial flourishes, and the story remains paper-tissue thin. I still really like it, but there's a slight "Is that all there is?" quality to the story.
(05-02-2021, 10:12 AM)Mangy Wrote: I still really like it, but there's a slight "Is that all there is?" quality to the story.

That was pretty much my reaction.

"So this is it, huh?" is what I was thinking as the last act was unfolding.
(05-02-2021, 10:56 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 10:12 AM)Mangy Wrote: I still really like it, but there's a slight "Is that all there is?" quality to the story.

That was pretty much my reaction.

"So this is it, huh?" is what I was thinking as the last act was unfolding.

The filmmaking is so on point that I keep expecting Aster's various thematic feints about trauma and toxic relationships and, uh, the power of shrooms to add up to something. I've seen it 3 times now, and...nope! 

I still really love Hereditary, though.
I had a similar reaction to HEREDITARY's third act ("Really? This has all been leading up to just a BLANK movie like I suspected from the first 10 minutes?"), but at least in HEREDITARY's case, those last 20 minutes are properly frightening and unnerving.

With MIDSOMMAR, it just fizzles out. There's nothing frightening or shocking about it. And I get that that wasn't Aster's intent... but that doesn't mean I have to think his intent was great.
I love the ending of Midsommar. It's this weird funny fucked up ending that's pretty great, and it looks great. It's like a hyper version of a girl in a bad relationship who ultimate finds happiness in what will surely be a far far far worse relationship but she's just so happy about it like everything worked out just how she wanted.

Hereditary though I'd agree, with that its just like, I saw this same thing but done better in House of the Devil and The Lords of Salem, and while maybe that wouldn't matter all the time I'm pretty sure Hereditary is directly pulling from those movies.
Caught The Wolf of Snow Hollow thanks to a free Epix weekend. Great, odd movie. Goes directly to the "rewatch at Christmas" list.
(05-03-2021, 01:24 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: Caught The Wolf of Snow Hollow thanks to a free Epix weekend. Great, odd movie. Goes directly to the "rewatch at Christmas" list.

Heard mixed things about this one, but I'll also put it on my "Genre Christmas" list.
There is a quirkiness to it that may not be to everyone's taste, but it never gets in the way of the story and it is still a completely satisfying thriller. Makes me want to check out Thunder Road, a non horror that Jim Cummings made before this.

The film is dedicated to the memory of Robert Forster, and in a strange way this is actually a surprisingly lovely one for him to go out on.
(05-03-2021, 01:24 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: Caught The Wolf of Snow Hollow thanks to a free Epix weekend. Great, odd movie. Goes directly to the "rewatch at Christmas" list.

Kind of hated the ending. I mean there is that one really cool shot of the wolf so the ending really makes no sense given how the thing moves. Otherwise pretty solid.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I finally got a chance to watch Next of Kin and I loved it. By far my favorite episode of the season. As a jaded horror fan, it's nice to go in completely blind for once and be surprised by a movie (One that I didn't even know existed before Friday night).
THE DARK (1979)

What the hell is this, anyway? It feels like several different movies stitched together, and they co-exist very uneasily. There’s a baffling, bonkers quality to this (particularly towards the end) that is actually kind of fascinating in its strangeness and unevenness. Surely, the finished product here is not as originally conceived.

There is some fun 1970s-ness, but on the whole, this is a pretty inexplicable thing.
I believe Tobe Hooper was original set to direct that and that the monster was going to be a zombie.
Yeah, I just did some cursory research, and it sounds like quite a behind-the-scenes botch!

The original plan was for the killer to be a grown-up man-child creature who'd been abused and shut away from the world for years and years.  When his house/prison burns down, he's angry.  So angry that he starts mutilating people.

Hooper was fired like a week into production (because they'd already fallen several days behind), and another director was brought in to finish things.

Then, in the very last days of photography, the producer decided that because space movies were suddenly popular, the killer -- whose backstory and MO had already been shot and established -- should actually be an alien who kills people with laser eyes that make them explode into fireballs... despite the fact that his "mangling" and decapitation of his victims is kind of central to the plot.  A nonsensical opening title crawl and closing voice-over were hastily thrown together in an attempt to make it work.

What a mess!
(05-03-2021, 02:06 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: There is a quirkiness to it that may not be to everyone's taste, but it never gets in the way of the story and it is still a completely satisfying thriller. Makes me want to check out Thunder Road, a non horror that Jim Cummings made before this.

The film is dedicated to the memory of Robert Forster, and in a strange way this is actually a surprisingly lovely one for him to go out on.

Thunder Road is an expansion of a short film Cummings made, which makes up the opening of the movie. It's pretty great, and kind of overshadows the rest of the film. Worth checking out, though.

(05-03-2021, 08:11 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: I finally got a chance to watch Next of Kin and I loved it. By far my favorite episode of the season. As a jaded horror fan, it's nice to go in completely blind for once and be surprised by a movie (One that I didn't even know existed before Friday night).

There are some flat-out amazing shots in that movie. The final one of course, but there's one where two young lovers are swimming in the lake, and the camera cranes up and swoops over some trees while zooming in on them. It's almost like a drone shot, but better. Crazy that Tony Williams didn't do any horror after that.
I rewatched Friday the 13th 2009 theatrical version for the first time since 09 and....that so called killer cut is absolute garbage. None of the stuff added to it makes it any better of a film or adds ANYthing to it except to spread a thin movie even more thin. But what shocked me is how many cool shots are lost in the longer version and replaced with decidedly less visually appealing and cinematic shots. None of the added footage adds any extra violence. Just a bunch of poorly edited walking and talking. And a godawful scene of Supernatural guy's sister escaping Jason's lair only for him to recatch her right before she can reach the douchebag's lake house and get some help. Horrible.

Watching the 97 minute version again reminded me why I dug this movie in the theater as much as I did. It's faster and looks so much better.

I know this probably gets filed under S for so what with most folks but...if anyone ever watches this again...you should totally watch the theatrical version. It doesn't give an option for that version at the beginning of the disc I have but it can be accessed by bringing up the menu..

I'm pretty sure one of the movies on The Last Drive-in this week is Frankenhooker. I just saw an announcement that TLD won't be playing in Canada on Friday and only one of the movies will be available to stream there on Sunday. Frankenhooker is coming to Shudder but not in Canada.
(05-05-2021, 06:53 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I rewatched Friday the 13th 2009 theatrical version for the first time since 09 and....that so called killer cut is absolute garbage. None of the stuff added to it makes it any better of a film or adds ANYthing to it except to spread a thin movie even more thin. But what shocked me is how many cool shots are lost in the longer version and replaced with decidedly less visually appealing and cinematic shots. None of the added footage adds any extra violence. Just a bunch of poorly edited walking and talking. And a godawful scene of Supernatural guy's sister escaping Jason's lair only for him to recatch her right before she can reach the douchebag's lake house and get some help. Horrible.

Watching the 97 minute version again reminded me why I dug this movie in the theater as much as I did. It's faster and looks so much better.

I know this probably gets filed under S for so what with most folks but...if anyone ever watches this again...you should totally watch the theatrical version. It doesn't give an option for that version at the beginning of the disc I have but it can be accessed by bringing up the menu..

Wow really? I had never seen the theatrical cut. All that nudity and violence mad it in the R rated cut? Nice.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yeah. I realized that when the R rating thing popped up on both versions. The longer one isn't unrated. It's R rated as well. Which makes the longer version extra pointless. The additions being utterly useless and boring combined with the longer version seemingly replacing the better and more coherent shots from the theatrical version makes me understand this movie's poor reputation over the past decade. Everyone is watching the crummy looking version thinking that just because it's longer it must be superior. It ain't..

Isn't the only nudity in that movie during the opening scene?

Surprised the sister, Amanda Righetti, hasn't been in more stuff. She was a regular on The Mentalist for years, and I'm pretty sure she was meant to be Sharon Carter 2; she's the one that's there when Captain America wakes up in the present. But after The Mentalist you don't really see her.
I really did not like the remake. Thought it was boring and took itself way too seriously. They take 3 movies and cram it into one, none of the characters or kills are memorable. Jason getting his iconic hockey mask just feels like something they had to throw in.

And then the whole sequence with his lair kept me shaking my head. An over designed set we've seen in a bunch of other movies before and he keeps the girl....captive! Like what?! This aint my Jason
(05-05-2021, 10:23 PM)simbob Wrote: Isn't the only nudity in that movie during the opening scene?

Surprised the sister, Amanda Righetti, hasn't been in more stuff. She was a regular on The Mentalist for years, and I'm pretty sure she was meant to be Sharon Carter 2; she's the one that's there when Captain America wakes up in the present. But after The Mentalist you don't really see her.

I remember swimmer’s boobs.

Righetti was in USA’s The Colony show.