Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
So what monumentally classic film did you only just watch now you witless imbecile?
I got to see it on the big screen a few years ago (RIP Arclight Cinemas). The director even did a little preshow intro.
Duck Soup: Of course I laughed my head off! Grouch was on fire the entire movie. Chico and Harpo didn't have to give that lemonade stand owner a hard time, but it was still funny. I've seen the mirror scene routine before, but it was still impressive.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Yeah, that's a brilliant film. Also the best damn play on the "sexy shoe discretion shot" in history.
HUD.

God DAMN.
One of the first films that we watched in film college!
(04-27-2021, 05:15 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: SHAFT (1971).

This was pretty great.  We were laughing at all of the many, many shots of Richard Roundtree just walking about New York, but it was otherwise a really solid movie with one of the most magnetic lead performances ever.  Nice and gritty with just a really cool vibe to it.  Watching it now, I can totally see all of the elements that would inform that genre as well as the films that would liberally borrow from it, like LIVE AND LET DIE.

Are the sequels worth pursuing?

This was a (relatively) recent watch for me as well, and it's funny because all those walking shots, which probably felt like the cheap filler they were back in the 70's (no shade on small film hustle), were some of my favorite parts of the movie now because it's such a fun glimpse into a bygone era. Ironically it's the kind of thing that's hard for a modern period piece to pull off because it would simply be cost prohibitive to dedicate the time and effort of recreating those locations for the equivalent of just wandering around. Completely different tonally, but I got similar enjoyment out of Funeral Parade of Roses, another movie that also is very much "we've got a camera, and a big city, go!"

Overall agreed on it being a great movie though, wouldn't say no to watching the immediate sequels at some point but WoM makes me a bit hesitant to rush out and grab them given that it's apparently pretty sharply diminishing returns.
If you liked Shaft then yeah, you should probably check out the sequels. They're faster paced and maybe a tad more elaborate than Shaft. But it's still Richard Roundtree doing his thing..

For the love of god , don't watch that Netflix Shaft movie though.
Shaft Kills is way better than Shaft Ends..

Shaft (2000) has young Christian Bale when he was still playing heavies. And Jeffrey Wright is amazing in it.
"You best kill me! You best kill me! You best kill me mudda fuucka! You best kill me!"

That and he takes the funniest shit in a movie since Dumb and Dumber. Jeffrey Wright got robbed at the Oscars that year..

The only downside to the film is that they cut out the climactic fistfight between Samuel L. Jackson and Christian Bale. But some shots from it are in the trailer.
While not necessarily ‘classic’, I am amazed at how well Toy Story 4 continued to spin off the themes established in the first three. Forkie is an inspired creation.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I like TOY STORY 4 more and more as time goes on.

At absolute minimum, they finally perfected the antagonist figure they'd been building over the previous two movies, and actually made that character pretty fully-formed.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(04-30-2021, 08:19 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: "You best kill me! You best kill me! You best kill me mudda fuucka! You best kill me!"

That and he takes the funniest shit in a movie since Dumb and Dumber. Jeffrey Wright got robbed at the Oscars that year..

I saw this in a fairly crowded theater and the plopping sound effect got a huge reaction.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
The Foley work in that scene should've gotten them an Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing.
It's such a strange scene lol. Bale's character even reacts like "what the hell?"

After Hours: I had a good time watching Griffin Dunne play somebody whose night just keeps getting weirder and more dangerous. The movie is a damn good black comedy.

Repo Man: I though this was OK. I enjoyed the alien related material more than the lives of the repo men and the punkers. The characters weren't likable, nor where they assholes with personality like the casts of Trainspotting or Goodfellas.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
"Repo Man" was one where I kinda just wanted to watch an old guy and a young guy bust balls and repo cars.
I like REPO MAN all right-- but the best thing about it is the Iggy Pop song.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
The last time I rewatched After Hours, I kept rewatching the scene where Griffin Dunne flips out on Rosanna in her apartment, starting with asking about the pot she gave him to smoke.  

There was an old thread where I posted the quotes of the whole thing.  Such a great scene.
AFTER HOURS is one of Scorsese's most underrated. Or at least it was; I think -- like KING OF COMEDY -- more people are coming around to it.
I recall it being well-appreciated at the time of its release.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
When I was in college, it was considered a deep cut.
Oh, man. My college was Full Metal Jacket University. Ceaselessly quoted throughout freshman year.
Kevin Smith movies and Swingers is what was quoted when I was in college. Once a friend of mine was going on about getting a carry and conceal permit and I couldn't help but say: "What do you need a gat for? In case anyone steps to you Snoop Dog?"

Blue Velvet:  Dennis Hopper's performance is what made this movie memorable. Of course I knew what some his dialogue would be, as well as having a taste for gas, but I was still impressed by how unhinged he was in this.

I think MacLachlan was a tad miscast. From the beginning of the movie he already seems slightly off; which isn't a shock based on the actor. His Jeffery didn't strike me as someone who would be shocked that his nice community would have a dark side to it. I think the part should have gone to a more clean cut leading man type.

I wanted to see a movie that was as weird as it was unsettling and that is exactly what I got. I would recommend it.
wait, you are saying that you just recently finally watched Blue Velvet?  whoa

Mommy

a candy colored clown they call the sandman?
"Do you me to pour it, Frank"
Yeah, I forget the details of how old he was supposed to be, but Kyle seemed too old/mature for the character in retrospect.
(05-04-2021, 11:10 PM)Rylander Wrote: wait, you are saying that you just recently finally watched Blue Velvet?  whoa

Mommy

a candy colored clown they call the sandman?

Yes it was my first time. I figured I use my staycation to get up movies I hadn't seen yet.
That's awesome Chaz.  There's still a lot I haven't seen and I have a similar intention with the new WFH model.  So far the only older classic that I had been meaning to see (and finally did) was De Palma's Sisters.  Loved it.
Sisters has an unreal split-screen sequence.
Val Kilmer almost played Jeffrey in Blue Velvet..

Kyle MacLaughlin would've been a damn good Bruce Wayne.