Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPERMAN PRE-RELEASE (202X)
Are they running out of actors? Jordan has played Fireman, Bad Black Panther, now Super Black Man..
Don't forget he played Black Chronicle Kid too, first even.
Git' in under mah belly!
Too bad that film is forever tainted now.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Buried in a recent THR story on the broader subject of what Abrams is doing with D.C. properties, two interesting items were tossed out there about this project:

- As of now, this isn't some new Superman character taking on the title, it's Kal-El, with the traditional "sent to Earth from Krypton before it explodes" backstory.
- Serious consideration is being given to making this a period piece of some sort.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
JJ Abrams wanted to make a Superman movie where Lex was a Kryptonian.

I guess I've got to accept at least a few more years of poor Supes being fucking destroyed by these assholes.
Just give me an unabashedly optimistic Superman, and I'll forgive a lot. Maybe not "Lex Luthor is a secret Kryptonian villain," but a lot!
Man, if they set it in '39 and did it Max Fleischer-style-but-live-action...

I'd go bananas.
A black Superman in 1939? That'll go over well.
Sorry you don't like my idea, Mr. Racist!
There goes the neighbourhood.
I dunno...a black Superman in 1939 sounds interesting actually. A black man that is clearly superior in a way that can't be denied and there's really nothing anyone can do about it but he still helps people anyway could be really cool if, not exactly something you might could take the kids to see. You could keep the Kents white. Denzel as Jor-El. I can even almost picture how a 1939 Lex Luthor could work.

It'd never happen but I don't think that's a concept with no worth.

Funny how DC is missing the point that they HAVE their black Superman with the Black Adam movie..

If it's a '30s period piece, I want the weirdo mad scientist version of Lex Luthor.
In 1939, with a black Superman I don’t know how Luthor wouldn’t come off as anything but an over the top almost cartoonish racist.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I'm fine with portraying racists in a negative light.
It could be "oh I hate him because he's an alien" but the real intent would be very clear..

1939= Steampunk Brainiac drones emerge from a sream-powered Sky Portal.

(or coal, asbestos, and lead paint powered drones if steam isn't viable)
keep in mind, Ta-nehesi Coates is writing this one guys. I have to imagine he'll be able to sneak some nuance into this.

You don't hire someone as high profiled as Coates, and announce you're making a film with a Black Superman and not being wiling to make some changes. If this is done right, it'd be interesting to see how this affects the overall superhero medium.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
If by "nuance," you mean "heavy-handed and inescapable commentary," then yes.
Changing the character's ethnicity doesn't automatically resolve the fundamental problems he's faced onscreen since 2006, a la he's overpowered as all Hell and perception as a right-wing boy scout.

The real ending to Big...
(05-10-2021, 11:27 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: If by "nuance," you mean "heavy-handed and inescapable commentary," then yes.

So you've never read his work then.

And if, hey like maybe this whole racism thing sucks is, "heavyhanded"
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Wait...Superman being overpowered is an issue? Superman has always been about this powerful hasn't he? Like...ALWAYS always..

(05-10-2021, 11:43 AM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: Changing the character's ethnicity doesn't automatically resolve the fundamental problems he's faced onscreen since 2006, a la he's overpowered as all Hell and perception as a right-wing boy scout.

No.  But it is a significant shift in perspective.  Yes, the immigrant story has always been a part of Superman, but it becomes significantly different when that immigrant is dark skin.  If it is a period piece--that's doubly so. I think it is a chance to tell a different type of story.  But that also depends on how that story is told.  

And I don't think you hire Ta-Nehesi Coates to write the film if all you plan on doing is black washing Superman.
(05-10-2021, 11:46 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Wait...Superman being overpowered is an issue? Superman has always been about this powerful hasn't he? Like...ALWAYS always..

Both Singer and Snyder made him wildly overpowered. To the point we never see him sweat, bleed or even his suit tears up. Thus it's hard to relate to him.

As I recall, John Byrne was the one who cracked that code and it continues to stun me how nobody followed that lead in the films.

Reeve's Superman was just as powerful as Routh's and Cavill's. How was he not? HE SPUN THE WORLD AROUND BACK IN TIME! Routh was shanked by Luthor and Cavill's Superman DIED. I'm really not seeing how those two are so much more powerful than Reeve aside from in ways that more sophisticated effects allow.

If we're going to change the ethnicity, fine. Just go a step further with a Hispanic Superman and Black Batman.

I just find this whole race swapping pointless if they haven't gotten around to making movies out of so many actual black superheroes yet. Why not do that first?

because they don't have the mainstream marquee value of SUPERMAN, I guess. Green Lantern may still have a stink around it due to the Reynolds movie

Marvel is doing Black Panther, Blade, and Sam Wilson as Captain America
(05-10-2021, 11:44 AM)ska oreo Wrote: So you've never read his work then.

And if, hey like maybe this whole racism thing sucks is, "heavyhanded"

I haven't read any of his comics writing, no. I have read some of his nonfiction.

I’ll just requote myself from earlier in this thread:

(02-27-2021, 02:04 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I subscribe to the Donner/Mankiewicz Rule: the cinematic Superman should not be involved in solving or addressing real world “issues.”

My bottom line is this: I haven't truly gotten to see, on-screen, the Superman I want since 1987 (in a terrible movie, which violates the Donner/Mankiewicz Rule), outside of about ten minutes of (fun) screentime in Whedon's JUSTICE LEAGUE cut and a select few moments in SUPERMAN RETURNS (where he's otherwise somewhat too forlorn for my taste).

I liked Cavill quite a bit, and have defended MAN OF STEEL, but now we've done the Deconstructionist Superman for nearly a decade. So I am beyond ready for a return to the unabashedly positive, uplifting, earnest, feel-good, escapist iteration of the character.
Frankly, if Superman is Black in the 1930s, I have no idea how you'd expect to have him believably optimistic. You remember that actual lynchings were still happening then, right?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-10-2021, 12:52 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Frankly, if Superman is Black in the 1930s, I have no idea how you'd expect to have him believably optimistic. You remember that actual lynchings were still happening then, right?

You're underscoring my point.

I do not expect an optimistic, feel-good iteration if that's the take.
Lynchings are still happening now. Knees...ropes. Same outcome..

(05-10-2021, 01:20 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Lynchings are still happening now. Knees...ropes. Same outcome..

You are of course, correct.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Set it in the modern day and still lean heavily on Max Fleisher-style visuals. I don't want the umpteenth movie chasing Nolan's brutalism aesthetic. Let's get a little fantastic here, since nobody likes Grimdark Clark.
The thing about Nolan (and this is why I find it so silly when people try to ape his style) is that Nolan's Batman films aren't so much grim dark gritty realistic. I actually find them kind of fanciful. They're just made in the same style as his other movies. They might give the impression of realism but it's just the vibe the cinematography and music gives. They aren't any more realistic than any of his other movies. Or Bond movies. I like how they, first and foremost, are definitely Christopher Nolan movies. Inception has a more realistic feel than The Matrix but it really isn't any less far out. It just presents itself that way. I don't know how else a director whose aesthetic choices are something like Ridley Scott meets Michael Mann would make a Batman film.

But yes, I agree. If they reboot Superman yet again, I hope it goes full on Fleischer..

Yeah the last time I watched the Nolan films I was surprised at how fantastical and (enjoyably!) campy they are. They just do it in a tasteful way that feels realistic - it's still a very heightened, silly world.

We're also far enough away from the Dark Knight films that they're visually products of their time - Batman Begins, especially, has a 'A New Hope' thing going where it feels more old-fashioned than its successor in a way that three years doesn't totally account for.