Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
The whole thing makes me so fucking mad, especially the ploys they're now trying to counter-stigmatize people who do get vaccinated as being the real health risk. My brother is currently having to wrangle with that horseshit in an organization he's involved with, and talking it over with him as he tries to effectively counter the nonsensical claims being made has steam coming outta my ears. The number of things people say that even I, with a basic high-school level understand of biology and medicine, can tell are patent nonsense is just staggering.
And unfortunately, like a contagious disease, stupidity and Fox News is transmisible across borders. Last weekend, with cases soaring to unprecedented levels, a bunch of freedom lovin' Albertans (4,000 or so, it was reported) gathered for an anti-masking 'rodeo' (hey, it's Cowboy Country, after all) on private land near the Town of Bowden, smack in the middle of the province's 'bible belt'. Who wants to bet that the majority of them are against vaccination as well? But if they get really, really sick, are they going to demand they get the the emergency care they believe they 'deserve'? What are the odds?
Out Tucker Carlson's vaccination status. There's no way that he didn't secretly get his shots. Out him for the hypocrite he is.
Republicans used to have that swagger where they were convinced that the simplest solutions were always the correct ones and that "common sense" was the answer to every complicated issue. But then the simplest solutions to problems (stay home, wear a mask, get the vaccine) became things that they didn't want to do for reasons that only made sense to them. It's common sense to get vaccinated against a deadly disease just like it's common sense to wear a seatbelt when you drive, put on a condom when you fuck someone, or slip on a pair of shoes if you're going outside.

That these clowns were defeated by their own simplistic worldview colliding with a complicated world was inevitable. It's just a shame that their awfulness has contributed to so much death and destruction.
It’s insane how the argument their taking is now the inverse of the argument they took with the actual virus.

It’s just whatever they can do to be anti-democrats. And that’s it. If Democrats ran on a platform that drinking poison is bad for you, you know Carlson would have a bit where he argues about the merits of “drinking cyanide”

Carlson is too smart to buy into this bullshit, which makes it disengenous. And because our free speech laws don’t know how to deal with bad actors like Carlson, he’s allowed to say whatever he wants, so long as he words it as “just asking questions.”
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Holy shit that second shot. Woke up at 1am feeling like I’d been hit by a truck. Work sucks all the ass today.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(05-06-2021, 03:31 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Carlson is too smart to buy into this bullshit, which makes it disengenous.  And because our free speech laws don’t know how to deal with bad actors like Carlson, he’s allowed to say whatever he wants, so long as he words it as “just asking questions.”

If anything, the last 15 or so years has taught us just how fragile our entire system of laws really is.  From finance to free speech to policing, it requires the overwhelming majority of participants to be acting in good faith or it becomes almost completely broken and irrelevant as the bad faith actors build billion-dollar industries in the margins.  I honestly don't know what the solution is outside of full-scale revolution and a re-writing of the constitution in some way.
(05-07-2021, 11:11 AM)sean blackwell Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:31 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Carlson is too smart to buy into this bullshit, which makes it disengenous.  And because our free speech laws don’t know how to deal with bad actors like Carlson, he’s allowed to say whatever he wants, so long as he words it as “just asking questions.”

If anything, the last 15 or so years has taught us just how fragile our entire system of laws really is.  From finance to free speech to policing, it requires the overwhelming majority of participants to be acting in good faith or it becomes almost completely broken and irrelevant as the bad faith actors build billion-dollar industries in the margins.  I honestly don't know what the solution is outside of full-scale revolution and a re-writing of the constitution in some way.

That's why I roll my fucking eyes at people who still hold this idea of "less government being good." And I'm like, sure, maybe if capitalism worked like they claim it was supposed to work and that people weren't such craven assholes, then yeah I guess so.  But that's not the reality we live in.

We live in a reality in which people who are supposed to defend our interests are more interested in financial rewards andpower than they are in actually protecting our democracy.  There is no accountability, no consequences because we can't admit to ourselves that Capitalism is a fucking failure that is eating us alive.  

But real world change cannot happen unless a majority of Americans get educated, and that is not what's happening.  TheRoot did a great article that went into the type of textbooks the Republicans who are bitching about CRT more than likely learned from when they were in school, and it is an eye opener.

https://www.theroot.com/we-found-the-tex...1846832317

This is what happens when something as important as education gets ripped apart by "STATES RIGHTS!!" and hyper partisanship.  States are doing their damndest to teach students fairytales about this country's origins.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
This is what passes for GOP leadership nowadays:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AZKellyT/stat...8004089857

Considering his upbringing, I'm not 100% surprised:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/james-...-required/

Quote:METALLICA frontman James Hetfield was a guest on episode 11 of "The Fierce Life" podcast in late March. During the half-hour chat, which can be heard below, James confirmed that he and his METALLICA bandmates have been working on music for the follow-up to 2016's "Hardwired… To Self-Destruct" album. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "It's either touring or writing, so COVID chose for us. There wasn't a lot of touring going on, so we get to write music."

Asked if he thinks METALLICA will do any touring this year, Hetfield said: "I have no clue. It's not up to me. It really is up to the safety of everyone — not just the fans, but the crew and us. I'm not sure what that means in the future as far as vaccines. I'm a little skeptical of getting the vaccine, but it seems to be rolling out and people are getting it and I've got lots of friends that have done it. I'm not totally sure about it. But I hope it doesn't come to a point where you have to have that COVID stamp in your passport or something to go everywhere. But if it comes down to that, then I'll make a decision then. We got vaccinated to go to Africa, so it's not like I've never been vaccinated before. But as a kid, I never got vaccinations 'cause of our religion [Christian Science]. So that was the only time I got one — when we were going on safari in Africa."
Lots of vaccine hesitancy in Appalachia:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/30/healt...messcience

Quote:As the beautiful Appalachian spring unfurls across northeastern Tennessee, the Covid-19 vaccine is tearing apart friends, families, congregations, colleagues. “It’s a muddy mess,” said Meredith Shrader, a physician assistant, who runs an events venue with her husband, another pastor, and who notes that the choice has become about much more than health care. “Which voice do you listen to?”

Communities like Greeneville and its surroundings — rural, overwhelmingly Republican, deeply Christian, 95 percent white — are on the radar of President Biden and American health officials, as efforts to vaccinate most of the U.S. population enters a critical phase. These are the places where polls show resistance to the vaccine is most entrenched. While campaigns aimed at convincing Black and Latino urban communities to set aside their vaccine mistrust have made striking gains, towns like these will also have to be convinced if the country is to achieve widespread immunity.

But a week here in Greene County reveals a more nuanced, layered hesitancy than surveys suggest. People say that politics isn’t the leading driver of their vaccine attitudes. The most common reason for their apprehension is fear — that the vaccine was developed in haste, that long-term side effects are unknown. Their decisions are also entangled in a web of views about bodily autonomy, science and authority, plus a powerful regional, somewhat romanticized self-image: We don’t like outsiders messing in our business.

According to state health department statistics, 31 percent of the vaccine-eligible population in Greene County has gotten at least one dose of a Covid vaccine, still below Tennessee overall, which has one of the lowest rates in the country, and far below the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s national tally of 55 percent. While many older residents have been inoculated, now that eligibility is open to all adults, vaccination sites are almost desolate.

Still, conversations here show that for many people, resistance is not firm. Roiled by internet fallacies, many hunger for straightforward information from people they trust. Others have practical needs, like paid time off to recover from side effects, which the Biden administration has urged employers to offer, or the opportunity to get the shot from their own doctor.

What’s also lacking is a groundswell that might encourage the hesitant to make the leap: Many people who have gotten vaccinated are remaining tight-lipped.
Appalachia is a hot bed of anti vaxxers? I'm utterly shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU! I gotta sit down..

Just rebrand the Moderna vax as Meth-derna...there will lines around the block to get a shot.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(05-08-2021, 04:13 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Appalachia is a hot bed of anti vaxxers? I'm utterly shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU! I gotta sit down..

Eh.  It’s fair to be skeptical.  To be worried about what the long term effects of this might be.  Cause we don’t know what that will be.  

But then it’s up to you to do the work to find out those questions.
That ain't no shit..

(05-08-2021, 04:41 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 04:13 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Appalachia is a hot bed of anti vaxxers? I'm utterly shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU! I gotta sit down..

Eh.  It’s fair to be skeptical.  To be worried about what the long term effects of this might be.  Cause we don’t know what that will be.  

But then it’s up to you to do the work to find out those questions.

There's a difference between skeptical and listening to literal fantasy nonsense and taking it all at their word because the Dems and Libs are unquestionably evil. They don't do any research about anything else. I doubt this would be any different. 

The most research that most of these crackers do (you know the type I'm talking about) is just reading and listening to stuff that makes them feel more right. Objectivity is a thing of the past. One side lies and the other side is all about the harsh truths and that's all they'll hear. How do you combat that?

I'm not EXACTLY a white dude but I mostly am and dear god do I just, more and more, hate white people. Large swaths of them anyways..

(05-08-2021, 04:36 PM)vtran Wrote: Just rebrand the Moderna vax as Meth-derna...there will lines around the block to get a shot.

It's truly fascinating that the microchip crowd is also somehow unconcerned about the ingredients of the drugs that have decimated their community.
I think it's hilarious that some toothless, welfare recieving,meth zombie who doesn't do anything all day but drink and get high thinks that anyone thinks they're important enough to put a microchip in in the first place.

They probably don't think to leave their phones far away from where they're cooking up a batch, ironically..

"I believe the vaccines were developed in haste! What? No, I don't know what would have the right amount of time to develop an un-hasty vaccine! It's my belief! That's what's important!"
I wonder why there was all that haste. What was the big emergency?
Pfizer got its Emergency Use Authorization for 12-15 year olds today.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/health/pf...index.html
Hey, kids! Get a vaccination to piss off your QAnon Mom and Dad!!
New England continues to kick butt:

https://twitter.com/LiamWBZ/status/1392226515375493120

Quote:BREAKING: Massachusetts reports ZERO new #coronavirus deaths for the first time since June:

-472 new cases (446 yesterday)
-17,519 active cases (18,441 yesterday)
-0 new deaths (14 yesterday)
-441 hospitalizations (427 yesterday)
-1.32 percent positive (1.26 yesterday)
I guess some people need to learn that living through a global pandemic with mass death, incompetent/corrupt leadership, heaps of fools refusing to follow safety procedures, and confusing (even if necessary and good) changes to those protocols... will be traumatizing for lots of folks who'll need time to adjust to a maskless, undistanced society again. Maybe the reason I was already aware of this might have something to do with having intelligence, compassion, and eyes wide open for the past year.

Anyway, a great and necessary article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ia/618751/
I got my second shot today. My arm is sore and I have a slight headache, but other than that I feel fine. I will still wear a mask when I go out because it is actually very easy to not act like an asshole; that and I don't want video of myself in appearing in the Karen thread.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Yeah, I still wear a mask post-vaccination for 3 reasons:

1) Many places aren't differentiating for vaccinated people.
2) I don't want any anti-mask a-holes to think I'm one of them.
3) I don't have to shave.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Sure, why not

[Image: E1I_a46XoAUml4Z?format=jpg&name=large]
Hey, if you buy a ticket to hate watch a film, the end result is the same, so...yay?

I didn't have *any* fuckin' side effects after my second shot. I feel so ripped off.
I get to have any side effects on the upcoming three-day weekend, because COVID already ruined my Thanksgiving weekend, so why not :/
I should get Moderna now. Maybe that'll give me some symptoms...
Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio announced that the state would give five people $1 million each in return for having been vaccinated as part of a weekly lottery program:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/us/oh...&smtyp=cur
Jesus, that’s just Idiocracy enough to work.
One idiot is not happy:

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/13...0658466818

Quote:major misreading the room stuff as Alex Berenson comes out swinging against lotto tickets for people who don't know what probabilities mean

[Image: E1OH8E_WEAgY76Z?format=png&name=small]
(05-12-2021, 08:55 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio announced that the state would give five people $1 million each in return for having been vaccinated as part of a weekly lottery program:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/us/oh...&smtyp=cur

[Image: 611260.jpg?b64lines=CiBVaCwgaWYgSSB3aW4s...BzdGF0ZT8=]
[Image: 615013.jpg?b64lines=Tm8uCiBZb3UgaGF2ZSB0...xvbmdlciEg]
Just fucking put it in Starbucks coffee and we'll be vaxxed by EOW.