Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Racism & Social Injustice Catch-All
Ledell Lee was executed by lethal injection in Arkansas in 2017. Four years later, new DNA testing revealed that genetic material on the murder weapon — which was never previously tested — in fact belongs to another man:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/us/le...&smtyp=cur
Keep an eye on this:

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/139...7187003393

Quote:THREAD: A bill is now racing thru Louisiana's legislature pushed by this guy. A former prosecutor. To destroy public defender independence, install a "defense czar" beholden to the Governor, & keep public defenders dependent on conviction fees of the very people they represent.

Four years later, East Baton Rouge defenders & the community they served were still struggling. Then COVID struck. History repeated. The traffic tickets & court fines & fees public defense offices are forced to rely upon for funding--the “User Pay” system—have been depleted.

True throughout Louisiana. Public defense is in crisis in Louisiana. 1000s in Louisiana are jailed w/ no lawyer. Why? 

They fund public defense off the backs of those who can't afford a lawyer. Fines/traffic tickets. The pandemic has dried up those funds.
Doesn't seem like the nicest guy:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/138...5861590023

Quote:Colorado State Rep Richard Holtorf (R-Akron) referred to a colleague as “Buckwheat,” leading to a heated exchange and brief recess of the House. #coleg #copolitics #9News
"No legal basis"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pro...d=msedgntp

Quote:A Virginia state prosecutor determined that a state police trooper had no legal basis for pulling over a Black woman he later arrested, and has called for an internal police investigation, a newspaper reported Monday.

Fairfax Commonwealth’s Attorney Steve Descano dismissed all charges against Juanisha C. Brooks, according to the report in The Washington Post.

Brooks was pulled over by Virginia State Police Trooper Robert G. Hindenlang on March 6 while driving home on the Capital Beltway. According to the report, dashboard-camera video from Hindenlang's car shows Brooks repeatedly asking why she was pulled over. Hindenlang only replies that if she steps outside her car, he will show her.

When Brooks tells Hindenlang she doesn't want to get out, the trooper unlocks the car door and pulls her out while she asks him to stop, the video shows. The trooper pushes Brooks up against the car and handcuffs her.

Brooks tells the officer she had one drink, but refuses a sobriety test. Hindenlang tells her she is under arrest for driving under the influence and asks why her eyes were watery.

“Why were my eyes watering?” Brooks answers. “Because people are being shot by the police. I’m freaking nervous.”

Later at the Fairfax County jail, Brooks took a breathalyzer test twice that showed a 0.0 blood alcohol level, according to Brooks and her attorney, Patrick M. Blanch. She was charged with resisting arrest, eluding police, failing to have headlights on and reckless driving.
Mississippi State Rep. Bo Brown, a Democrat, "called for the creation of a temporary tent type boot camp facility to incarcerate lawless teenagers to show them some respect for the law."

https://www.northsidesun.com/columns-loc...V7gfr.dpbs
Twitter attached a thumbnail pic of Jackie Chan to a trending nationwide study from The Boston Globe on the "largely invisible" presence of Asian Americans.

And I assume Police Story was a fluke.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(05-12-2021, 03:33 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Twitter attached a thumbnail pic of Jackie Chan to a trending nationwide study from The Boston Globe on the "largely invisible" presence of Asian Americans.

And I assume Police Story was a fluke.

I hope it was this one!

[Image: 05bf6dc614bc4c1277588fec290aa0f3.jpg]
(05-12-2021, 12:33 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Mississippi State Rep. Bo Brown, a Democrat, "called for the creation of a temporary tent type boot camp facility to incarcerate lawless teenagers to show them some respect for the law."

https://www.northsidesun.com/columns-loc...V7gfr.dpbs

Like this article is so close.  SO FUCKING CLOSE.

"Christianity does not coincide with racism."
Ok, that's cool I'm fine with this.
"We can't just call this black on black crime."
Ok...warmer, you're close.
"Poverty and unemployment is a problem."
Okay now we--
"Clearly we need the law to punish people"
NO...what are you--
"We need more police."
NOOOOO
"We need camps to teach people to obey the law
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!!
'No doubt this is the break up of the nuclear family"
Oh we really doing the Monyihan report again?  Seriously.  

Like fucking christ.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
The Atlantic put out a fantastic article about the continued confederate lie about how the Civil Rights War had nothing to do with slavery and the people who believe it.  It's a great article that manages to provide empathy while simultaneously acknowledging that what they believe is wrong.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...th/618711/

It's ultimately the problem with Democrats appealing to rural Whites: Why would they support a party that makes them feel bad about themselves?
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
The take to end all takes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/_BarringtonII...7547504640

Wow..

It's a thing that "social conservatives" of the very-definitely-not-a-Confederate-apologist-but... stripe have tossed around for years in their own literature, but the extent to which it's been normalized on the mainstream right in the last few years is astonishing.
(05-13-2021, 12:05 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: It's a thing that "social conservatives" of the very-definitely-not-a-Confederate-apologist-but... stripe have tossed around for years in their own literature, but the extent to which it's been normalized on the mainstream right in the last few years is astonishing.

And I've seen quite a few Black "Pick-Mes" run with that logic too: Endless romanticizing an era in which Green Books were use because it "created ingenuity among black people" and ignoring the nightmarish world that Blacks lived during a time in which they were second class citizens.  This is the Monyhan report redux: Blaming Black people's ills entirely on "single moms" (it's both racist and sexist!), and ignores the conditions that led to these problems: white flight, segregation, red lining, poor education.  It's candy to whites because it places all onus on black people rather than policies and intentional decisions that cause these issues.
These stories are always shockingly ridiculous:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/-fel..._nn_tw_blk

Quote:A high school student in Durham, North Carolina, is speaking out after she had to cut her hair in the middle of a softball game to continue playing.

Nicole Pyles, who is Black, said that she was wearing her hair in braids with beads on the ends, a style that she had worn for several games before her softball team's final home game of the season on April 19. The sophomore at Hillside High School told TODAY that her team was winning at the beginning of the second inning when the umpire told her coach that her hairstyle made it impossible to see the number on the back of her jersey.

Nicole said that in an effort to rectify the situation, she tucked her hair inside the collar of her shirt, but another complaint was made in the bottom of the second inning.

"I said something to the ump; I asked him ... 'You've seen me play before, so why is it an issue?' And he said, 'It's a rule, so there's not much I can do about it right now,'" Pyles, 16, told TODAY by phone.

Rather than leave the game or stop playing, Pyles removed the beads from her hair.

"I was upset, but I went back to the dugout. And so my team, they were confused and upset as well, but they cut some of the beads, and other ones were snatching beads out of my hair so I was able to play because I wasn’t going to let beads hold me back from playing a softball game," she said.
A North Carolina judge is reportedly under investigation for trying to hit Black Lives Matters protestors with his SUV:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/nor...d=msedgntp

Quote:A state appellate court judge in North Carolina is allegedly under investigation after two community activists said they had to jump out of the way of his SUV to avoid being run over during a Black Lives Matter demonstration, The Fayetteville Observer reported Thursday evening.

According to the report, several witnesses at the scene identified Judge John M. Tyson of the North Carolina Court of Appeals as the driver of the vehicle that nearly hit two protesters who were in the street at approximately 6:30 p.m. during last week’s demonstration near the Market House in downtown Fayetteville.

Community activist Myah Warren, who was holding a “Black Lives Matter” sign, told the Observer that she and another protester had to dive out of the path of the vehicle or they would have been struck, saying she thought she was “within three seconds of being hit.”

“Out of nowhere comes this SUV,” she told the outlet, adding, “I had to jump back.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/radleybalko/s...5046349828

Thought this was a pretty interesting find:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how...whiteness/

Quote:Understanding how white Americans react to perceptions of their whiteness can help us make sense of behavior across the ideological spectrum. For instance, one reason why white people on the political right may be so opposed to The New York Times’s 1619 Project, which emphasizes the role that slavery played in structuring many aspects of American society, is because the project inherently implicates whiteness. This, in turn, reminds white Americans of negative associations that are attached to white identity, namely the relationship between whiteness and racism. And because white conservatives may be more likely to believe that critiques of whiteness are baseless, relative to their white liberal counterparts, they may show greater feelings of anger and backlash to associations they see as unfair.

On the other hand, white liberals often feel motivated to act in racially egalitarian ways to distance themselves from these same negative stereotypes of whiteness. The thinking may go something along the lines of, “Those white people are ‘bad,’ but I want to see myself as a good person.” However, committing to antiracist action is not a straightforward solution, as it is not always effective at staving off the negative emotions that come with acknowledging a legacy of racism. Moreover, this strategy can fall short in actually addressing racial inequality, as it does not alway prioritize the practical needs of people of color over the emotional and psychological needs of white antiracists.
Sounds correct.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Update:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/2-e...d=msedgntp

Quote:Two former Colorado police officers are facing charges in connection to the violent June 2020 arrest of Karen Garner, a 73-year-old woman who has dementia - in which her arm was broken and her shoulder was dislocated.

Prosecutors with the Eighth Judicial District Attorney's Office filed the charges against Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, who resigned from the Loveland Police Department last month, The Denver Post reported.

Hopp is facing charges including felony assault, causing serious bodily injury and attempting to influence a public servant, while Jalali is facing charges of failing to report use of force and failing to intervene, court records seen by The Post show.

Both former officers are facing misconduct charges.
Fucking good.
Monstrous behavior:

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/bod...s-for-meth

Quote:Newschannel 20 and FOX Illinois obtained new body camera video of the incident sparking Dartavius Barnes to sue the City of Springfield.

In the suit, Barnes claims his vehicle was unlawfully searched on April 6, 2020 when he was pulled over near Laurel and 16th Streets in Springfield.

He says officers placed him in handcuffs while they searched his vehicle without consent, valid warrant, or probable cause.

During the search, Barnes says officers took a sealed urn of his daughter's ashes, unsealed it, opened it without consent, and spilled out the ashes.

Dartavius Barnes is the biological father of Ta'Naja Barnes, the 2-year-old found unresponsive in her Decatur home in 2019.

An officer went to tell Barnes the container tested positive for meth or ecstasy.

Barnes appeared confused and asked to see what they found.

The officer retrieved the container, wrapped in the plastic glove, and when it was shown to Barnes, the reaction was immediate.

Barnes yelled, "No, that's my daughter," and tried to reach for the urn.

The officer closed the door and turned to other officers at the scene.

"This is his daughter's ashes that Reibeling thought tested positive for meth," the officer said.

Back in the police car, two officers had this exchange:

"I'm just gonna give him a notice to appear on the weed," one said.

"OK, aside from pissing off dad and testing the dead baby ashes," the other responded.

In their response to the suit, officers said they're "entitled to qualified immunity as their conduct was justified by an objectively reasonable belief that it was lawful."
I don't have words strong enough to convey what reading that made me feel. Apoplectic? Maybe?

Poured.
Out.
His.
Daughter's.
Ashes.

Humanity is trash. That set my faith in people back even further into the negatives..

The just response would be to have them cremated so that the guy can piss on their remains, but it wouldn't be the same because nobody would mourn them.
Quote:In their response to the suit, officers said they're "entitled to qualified immunity as their conduct was justified by an objectively reasonable belief that it was lawful."

Very cool that these reprehensible shitheads have a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card that they can play whenever they want. Sure, they were acting like monsters, but they believed their monstrous behavior was lawful. Case closed I guess.
I cannot imagine ever dumping a fucking urn out. That's just being a massive asshole just to be a massive asshole. Anyone who'd do that to someone is subhuman..

I'd tell Alabama to do better, but how about just try?

https://twitter.com/BurkhalterEddie/stat...8902444037

Quote:Reading over a lawsuit about a young man who's attorney says was denied medical care in an Alabama prison for months, and who was just 6 months from release, and is now paralyzed as a result. His life hangs in the balance as a type this. Story Monday.
I can only imagine the vitriol Michelle Obama faced:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/life...d=msedgntp

Quote:One of the Secret Service agents on Michelle Obama's detail when she was first lady says Mrs. Obama was the target of "shockingly racist" actions during her husband's two terms in the White House, writing in a new book that people could "say whatever they wanted so long as there was no imminent threat of harm."

Becoming Bulletproof, written by 12-year Secret Service veteran Evy Poumpouras, details life as an agent in the presidential protective division for Presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, and Obama.

The book also goes into detail about what it was like protecting Mrs. Obama, who Poumpouras says was at times subject to harsh criticism when out in public.

"As the first Black First Lady of the United States, Mrs. Obama had to withstand certain kinds of disparagement that none of her predecessors ever faced," Poumpouras writes in an excerpt published by Insider this week. "I was on her protective detail when we were driving to a school to deliver a speech; we passed someone on a bridge holding up a shockingly racist sign directed at her."
The video at the link is disturbing, so beware:

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1395537735138562048

Quote:Body cam footage shows officers tased, kicked and dragged Ronald Greene, a Black man who died on his way to the hospital after a high speed police pursuit. 

Authorities reportedly told his family he'd been killed in an auto accident immediately after hitting a tree.
Jesus fucking christ
This is the first I'm hearing of "All Farmers Matter."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/22/us/bl...rmers.html

Quote:Shade Lewis had just come in from feeding his cows one sunny spring afternoon when he opened a letter that could change his life: The government was offering to pay off his $200,000 farm loan, part of a new debt relief program created by Democrats to help farmers who have endured generations of racial discrimination.

It was a windfall for a 29-year-old who has spent the past decade scratching out a living as the only Black farmer in his corner of northeastern Missouri, where signposts quoting Genesis line the soybean fields and traffic signals warn drivers to go slow because it is planting season.

But the $4 billion fund has angered conservative white farmers who say they are being unfairly excluded because of their race. And it has plunged Mr. Lewis and other farmers of color into a new culture war over race, money and power in American farming.

“You can feel the tension,” Mr. Lewis said. “We’ve caught a lot of heat from the conservative Caucasian farmers.”

The debt relief is redress set aside for what the government calls “socially disadvantaged farmers” — Black, Hispanic, Indigenous and other nonwhite workers who have endured a long history of discrimination, from violence and land theft in the Jim Crow South to banks and federal farm offices that refused them loans or government benefits that went to white farmers.

The program is part of a broader effort by the Biden administration and Democrats in Congress to confront how racial injustice has shaped American farming, which is overwhelmingly white. Black farm advocacy groups say that nearly all the land, profit and subsidies go to the biggest, most powerful farm operations, leaving Black farmers with little. But in large portions of rural America, the payments threaten to further anger white conservative farmers.

The plans have drawn thousands of enraged comments on farm forums and are being fought by banks worried about losing interest income. And some rural residents have rallied around a new slogan, cribbed from the conservative response to the Black Lives Matter movement: All Farmers Matter.

It can be a tough, lonely life. In 1920, African-Americans owned some 14 percent of the farms in the United States. But after a century of racial violence, foreclosures, migration into cities and farm consolidation, there are just under 49,000 left, representing 1.4 percent of American farmers. Most are concentrated in the Southeast and Texas.

These days, Black farmers have forged online networks that function as their own digital homemade farm bureaus. They celebrate first turnip harvests, ask whether fertilizer made from fish can revive wilting plants and commiserate about navigating government programs and the isolation of being the only Black farmers in their counties.

"You don’t have a network. You don’t have an infrastructure. There’s nothing,” said Sandy Thompson, who started an online directory of Black farmers in 2019 after abandoning a three-year quest to convert a five-acre plot outside San Antonio into a vegetable farm.

Nonwhite farmers, who make up about 5 percent of farmers, say they struggle disproportionately to get loans and government grants. They received less than 1 percent of the billions of dollars in subsidies that flowed into farm country last year under former President Donald J. Trump to compensate farmers hurt by the coronavirus pandemic and the trade war with China.

Getting his government loan paid off now could change everything: He said he could pay down other loans on his livestock. Expand the patchwork of fields he owns to compete against established farmers. Get financing to build a home so he and his wife can escape their one-bedroom apartment.

“It’ll open up a whole lot of doors,” he said. “Maybe these local banks that didn’t have time for minorities will open up to us.”

Still, the lawsuits have sowed concern and anger through networks of Black farmers. Some have spent decades fighting unsuccessfully to get their share of legal settlements over past discrimination by the Agriculture Department. Now, they are worried that the money set aside for debt repayment could get delayed for years in legal challenges.

"We’re getting the short end,” said John Wesley Boyd Jr., a Virginia bean and grain farmer who is also founder of the National Black Farmers Association. “Anytime in the United States, if there’s money for Blacks, those groups speak up and say how unfair it is. But it’s not unfair when they’re spitting on you, when they’re calling you racial epithets, when they’re tearing up your application.”
A description of the violence is at the link.

Six years:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex-off...d=msedgntp

Quote:A federal court judge on Friday sentenced a former St. Paul, Minn., police officer to six years in prison after a jury found him guilty of a civil rights violation for beating an unarmed Black man who was mistaken for a suspect nearly five years ago.

A federal jury in 2019 convicted former St. Paul officer Brett Palkowitsch of using excessive force against an unarmed civilian after he brutally kicked and severely injured Frank Amal Baker and let a police dog maul him.
Frank Luntz did a focus group with Trump voters discussing George Floyd.  The conversation can be found at the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/21/opini...ticleShare

Quote:I decided to sit in on a focus group led by Frank Luntz, a longtime strategist for Republican candidates and a veteran of such discussions. He chose 14 conservative Trump supporters who reflected the Republican electorate: overwhelmingly white, evenly divided by gender, more old than young.

As is customary in focus groups, my role was not to argue with or fact-check the speakers. Mr. Luntz encouraged them to share candidly; several made false claims, including that the election was stolen and that Black Lives Matter is a Marxist or violent hate group. Many criticized the news media but were clearly shaped by it: Some kept overstating the scattered street violence last summer, which Fox News and other news outlets popular with conservatives regularly showed.
(05-22-2021, 07:42 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: The video at the link is disturbing, so beware:

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1395537735138562048

Quote:Body cam footage shows officers tased, kicked and dragged Ronald Greene, a Black man who died on his way to the hospital after a high speed police pursuit. 

Authorities reportedly told his family he'd been killed in an auto accident immediately after hitting a tree.

The ranking Louisiana State Police officer at the deadly 2019 arrest of Greene denied the existence of his own body camera video for nearly two years until the footage emerged just last month:

https://apnews.com/article/arrests-death...SocialFlow
The video can be found at the link:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/tiktok-vide...-detained/

Quote:A video uploaded to TikTok appears to show a police officer in Chicago detaining a nursing student for attempting to save a man’s life.

The footage, which has spread widely across social media, reportedly took place at the scene of a motorcycle accident where at least one person died.

In comments on the video, the TikTok user alleged that she was detained for “resisting” while she and a doctor attempted to render aid to a severely-injured man.

“This cop didn’t give a damn,” she wrote. “He was rude from the second he encountered us and lied to try and push his agenda of why I was ‘detained’ for resisting.”

The TikTok user, who appears to have now deleted the video, went on to accuse the officer of showing “blatant disregard and neglect for human life.”
The statement is at the link:

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/...2842821633

Quote:It’s been a year since then 17-year-old Darnella Frazier recorded the murder of George Floyd. She has not done media interviews or made public statements outside of her trial testimony. Today she released her first full public comments. Worth a read: