Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The Democratic Party Going Forward
This connects with another story that was posted here a couple of days ago, about moderate response to Biden's presidency.   

New Republic suggests that the fix is in, and we're now going to see "liberal" news sites start turning on Biden in order to create a narrative that gets on the articles.

https://newrepublic.com/article/162535/c...on-is-over

Quote: But for the broader public, a political situation isn’t truly real until the mainstream press has identified and explained it. And this week, the powers that be decided to bring the Biden honeymoon to a close.
“The dominant storyline,” NBC’s Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, and Carrie Dann informed us in a Monday piece, “has moved from the virus and even the vaccination rate, to the fate of President Biden’s non-Covid-related agenda on infrastructure and policing.” Now there’s a sentence that practically announces that the fix is in. This is perhaps the central trick of Todd’s trade—producing shifts in political discourse by reporting that shifts have already occurred. There are natural microtremors in the political landscape, it’s often implied, that only the delicate antennae of political reporters and pundits can detect. But the dominant storylines of American politics are actually authored, in sentences like the above, by people like Chuck Todd. You won’t find much evidence in polling that the electorate is more invested in infrastructure negotiations and the Floyd Act than they are in the pandemic. The narrative demands of American political journalism are bringing us to the next act anyway: In the media, attention is earned and money is made when the public perceives motion and change.

And the public’s opinions really might change, now that the entirety of the press is on the same new page as to what the public should be thinking about. Politico’s Playbook led yesterday with a reminder that “Biden’s deadlines have come due.” The New York Times is watching as “Hopes for Bipartisan Deals on Biden’s Priorities Dim.” Another NBC piece pointedly noted that the anniversary of Floyd’s death would be marked with “a discussion, not a deal.” And at CNN, we’re told that Biden faces a “crunch moment in his presidency.” “The Biden presidency and top Democrats,” CNN analyst Stephen Collinson wrote, “suddenly face a moment of truth with an audacious nation-changing agenda imperiled by the treacherous political math of divided Washington and stiff resistance by pro-Trump Republicans.”
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
“Democrats spent three times more than Republicans on ads that touted bipartisan outreach. Democrats spent $21.8 million on ads about “bipartisanship” or “working across the aisle,” while Republicans spent $6.2 million on them.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...g-answers/
Texas Democrats walked out:

https://apnews.com/article/tx-state-wire...ce=Twitter

Quote:A restrictive voting bill in Texas that was on the verge of Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk failed to pass Sunday night after Democrats walked out of the House chamber before a midnight deadline.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott swiftly said he would call a special session to try passing a voting bill again but did not say when.
Lucy and the football:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joe-manchi...g?ref=home

Quote:When the Jan. 6 commission became the latest casualty of Republican obstructionism on Friday, most Democrats weren’t surprised. Joe Manchin was.

Manchin, West Virginia’s senior senator and the only Democrat in Congress from a state Donald Trump won by 40 points, has not been convinced that the GOP’s current strategy is scorched-earth partisan politics

“I don’t think I’ll ever change,” Manchin told reporters on Thursday. “I’m not separating our country, OK?”

Manchin said later in the day that he thought Democrats could find “10 good people” on the GOP side to support the commission. And on Friday, after Democrats predictably did not find 10 Republicans to support the commission, Manchin sounded genuinely upset and surprised that his GOP colleagues would side with a nakedly partisan view that there shouldn’t be an independent report on the Jan. 6 attack.

"This job's not worth it to me to sell my soul,” Manchin told reporters on Friday. “What are you gonna do, vote me out? That's not a bad option—I get to go home."
That’s such a useless quote. What a useless man.

Does he have a plan at all, or is he exactly as stupid as he’s allowing himself to appear?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
You have four fucking years left on your term, asshole! Just do something before you croak.

Imagine you're Hercule Poirot if you will, and you're in a locked-room with 100 people and there has been... A Murder. Over half of the people want you to investigate the murder and find the culprit(s). Fewer than half don't want you to look into it for... reasons. Do you choose not to investigate because you haven't hit some arbitrary magic number of votes favoring an investigation because "them's the rules?" Are the norms more important to you than justice? If so, don't be a lawmaker.
I am also mad at Manchin's refusal to acknowledge plain reality, but there are like 5 things in that analogy that don't work.
It's not my best analogy, but the point is, he's ironically destroying democracy with this anti-fillibuster shit. You don't fix a broken system by surrending to the people who broke it.

We have "leaders" who don't want to lead.
(06-03-2021, 08:50 PM)bradito Wrote: We have "leaders" who don't want to lead.

That is a very big problem with Congress right now.  And as with most political problems in this country, it afflicts both sides, but is 10x more pronounced with the Republicans.  Who have so little idea of what they want to actually do with the power they are ruthlessly pursuing that they are basically still abdicating the job of defining their own agenda to Donald Trump's defunct blog.
I think it's 11x more pronounced.
Now that Nicole Galloway will be gone by 2022, Missouri Democrats are pretty much looking extinct on the state level:

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/statu...4864839680

Quote:The last remaining statewide elected Democrat in Missouri will not seek re-election in 2022.

A little over a decade ago, the Show Me State was host to the closest presidential contest in the country, had a Democratic governor and a Democratic senator. Now it is solidly red.

https://twitter.com/nicolergalloway/stat...7160156169
Democrats are always terrible at messaging, so no surprise here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/06/us/po...ticleShare
(06-07-2021, 03:07 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Democrats are always terrible at messaging, so no surprise here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/06/us/po...ticleShare

That's not really what the article is about anyways.  And I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, but a lot of the issues presented aren't really on Democrats.  They ain't perfect for sure, but it's extremely hard to get messaging on complex ideas that affect the working class, when Republicans routinely use overly simplistic, often racist messaging to appeal to whites.  The fact is is that Democrats have to preform a more complicated dance: Appeal enough to moderate whites, but also acknowledging that there is a changing of the guard coming with younger progressives.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
No amount of messaging can get through to my fellow Americans.  If after all these fucking years they don't know why they should vote for a Democrat over anyone from the party of Trump and Bush and Reagan, there's nothing that the Democrats can do.  As ska said, Democrats aren't perfect but for the most part they are trying to help their constituents.  It's never been a close thing for me, since I could vote, I would vote Democrat and I was far from being the most politically savvy guy but I could see what was happening in this country.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
It’s really simple for me. I’m not voting for democrats, I’m voting against republicans.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-infras...00301.html

What a shocking surprise.

**Cal Cunningham's inability to keep it in his pants looms ever larger and larger ... just think about how much more could be accomplished with even one more Dem senator.

(06-07-2021, 10:56 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: It’s really simple for me. I’m not voting for democrats, I’m voting against republicans.

That's it exactly.

If people wanna talk about how we should get rid of the Democratic Party, I'm all for having that conversation... the day after we've gotten rid of the Republican Party.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(06-08-2021, 07:57 PM)Overlord Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-infras...00301.html

What a shocking surprise.

**Cal Cunningham's inability to keep it in his pants looms ever larger and larger ... just think about how much more could be accomplished with even one more Dem senator.

It'll be even less shocking when Manchin pulls his diva shit and singlehandedly waters down whatever bill does pass. Just because he can.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Sen. Gillibrand was the lone legislator to miss voting on the Paycheck Fairness Act, which was defeated 50-49 on Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...2565819393

Quote:The Senate just failed to advance the Paycheck Fairness Act, legislation aimed at addressing the gender wage gap.

A procedural vote to move forward with consideration of the legislation failed 49-50.
This would have just been immediately filibustered right?

Not that it isn't enraging that these Senators work like 30 days a year and still can't be bothered to show up and do basic stuff like this.
It needed 60 votes. Sen. Schumer wanted to get the GOP on record more than anything else, but couldn't get Democrats to "pass" it.
(06-09-2021, 01:47 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: Sen. Schumer wanted to get the GOP on record more than anything else, but couldn't get Democrats to "pass" it.

[Image: 305921.jpg]
I'm not sure if we'll ever see this, but the Trump decision to rescind almost $1 billion in grant funding for California's bullet train plans has been reversed:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-wil...d=msedgntp

Quote:The federal government has reached an agreement to restore nearly $1 billion in funding for California's troubled bullet train, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced.

The U.S. Department of Transportation finalized settlement negotiations to restore the money for the high-speed rail project that was revoked by the Trump administration in 2019, Newsom said Thursday night.

The restoration of $929 million in grant funding “will continue to spur job creation, advance the project and move the state one step closer to getting trains running in California as soon as possible," Newsom said in a statement.

California voters in 2008 approved nearly $10 billion in bond money to build a high-speed rail line connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco that was supposed to be running by 2020.

But the project was plagued by cost overruns and delays. Officials now hope to have trains running on a segment through the state's central valley agricultural region by 2029.

Critics have derided the segment as a “train to nowhere,” but supporters say it’s a necessary test and precursor to linking more populated areas.

The project's business plan anticipates environmental approval for the 500 miles (805 kilometers) between Los Angeles and San Francisco by 2023. Completion of the full line depends on funding and other unknowns.

Newsom last month unveiled a budget proposal that includes $4.2 billion for the project, including the bond money approved by voters in 2008.
At this point, there'd be a better chance of San Angeles forming than a train appearing anywhere in Cali.

ProPublica has more tax data:

https://www.propublica.org/article/leadi...ce=twitter

Quote:The leading candidate to take over the investigation relating to former President Donald Trump’s taxes paid virtually no federal income taxes in four of six recent years.

Tali Farhadian Weinstein, who is married to hedge fund manager Boaz Weinstein, is running for Manhattan district attorney in the Democratic primary, in which early voting has already begun. She and her husband reported income as high as $107 million in 2011, and she recently donated $8.2 million to her campaign — more than her seven Democratic rivals have raised in total.

But in 2017, according to a trove of tax data obtained by ProPublica, she and her husband paid no federal income tax. In 2015 and 2013, they also paid no federal income tax. In 2014, she and her husband paid $6,584.

Farhadian Weinstein provided a statement in response to questions from ProPublica: “In 6 of the last 11 years (the years in which we had income), we paid more than 50% of our income in Federal, State and New York City taxes. In the other years, we earned no net income and, as a result, did not pay income tax. We both benefited from many opportunities in this city and country and are glad to pay taxes at among the very highest tax rates in the entire country.” (The IRS records obtained by ProPublica show that from 2010 to 2018, the couple paid 25.9% overall in federal income tax on the money they made during the seven years when they had positive adjusted gross income, which the IRS defines as earnings minus certain items like alimony. On average, the couple paid 12.6% annually from 2010 to 2018. During that time, the top federal marginal tax rate fluctuated between 35% and 39.6%. These figures don’t count state and local taxes, which typically are significantly less than federal taxes.)
I would expect nothing less from the great city of New York.
Does funneling dark money from hedgefund billionaires into the pockets of republican senators to get them to change their votes on the Jan 6 commission count as bipartisanship? Joe Manchin seems to think so!

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/16/joe-...no-labels/
Manchin uses corruption to fight corruption, but also as an excuse not to do anything.
I'm so sick of having to vote for these guys

Quote:“Tell Senator Markey to get a life” -Sen. Dick Durbin on Markey’s thought that the Senate should maybe cut August recess short.

https://twitter.com/taragolshan/status/1...1167643654
Well, if there's one thing these fucks can do, it's take vacations.
Some "return to work" incentives from Democratic governors:

https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/new...-workforce

Quote:As Maine continues its economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, the Mills Administration today unveiled a new program aimed at getting unemployed Maine people back into the workforce.

The “Back to Work” program, administered by the Maine Department of Labor and the Department of Economic and Community Development, will provide employers a one-time $1,500 payment for eligible workers who start jobs between June 15 and June 30 or a $1,000 payment for eligible workers who start jobs in July to encourage unemployed Maine people to return to the workforce. The first-come, first-served program will utilize $10 million in Federal funding and could reach up to 7,500 Maine people.

And Kentucky:

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/beshear-to...a902b.html

Quote:Gov. Andy Beshear plans to unveil a “bonus” incentive for Kentuckians receiving unemployment benefits to go back to work, taking a cue from other states that have created similar programs.

Beshear, a Democrat, faces pressure from Republicans and some employers to end federal jobless benefits in Kentucky — especially the $300 per week added to every unemployment payment — before they expire nationally on Sept. 6.

Beshear has resisted those calls, saying Kentuckians use the benefits to buy groceries and other necessities, which infuses $34 million a week in federal money into the state’s economy.

At the same time, “We’ve got to have people back in the workforce, and it can’t wait until September,” Beshear said.

“What we’re looking at is, bonuses upfront, or after a certain period of time, if you’re on pandemic unemployment (for) coming back into the workforce,” Beshear told WDRB News in an interview Friday. “We’ve seen some other states do it. We think that there’s some good things they’re doing, and some bad things they’re doing.”
“Fundamentally, the contemporary left is a movement driven by people who rent their homes, a class that is swelling in number. However, people who own property still dominate our politics.”

https://alex-yablon.ghost.io/renters-own...ennui/amp/

Quote:So it’s come to this: there’s a week to go before the New York City Democratic mayoral primary. Eric Adams, a nakedly pro-machine former Republican and cop, leads most polls to run the city that more than any other has birthed America’s contemporary left. What gives? Why has New York’s new left been such an underwhelming force in 2021, after a rollicking three year stretch that began with AOC’s surprise 2018 victory that arguably reshaped America's political trajectory?

A lot of the media discussion has focused on the left’s rhetoric and candidates. What I’d like to argue here is that there is a deeper structural explanation for the New York City left’s troubles in 2021. The source of the New York City left’s strength in legislative races from 2018 to the present as well as its weakness in the current mayoral race are one and the same: Fundamentally, the contemporary left is a movement driven by people who rent their homes, a class that is swelling in number. However, people who own property still dominate our politics. The relationship to asset ownership, more than race, ethnicity, feelings toward police, union affiliation or any other social category, explains the rapid development of the New York City left and its current limitations.

New York has been a hotbed of left-wing political organizing because it is home to a growing and diverse population of renters, the largest in the country, and renting sucks. It’s alienating just like Marx said wage labor is alienating: you know you’re getting screwed when you pay your rent, that someone is growing their wealth by eroding yours. In fact, the better the city’s economy does, the more precarious life feels: Property values rise faster than incomes and drive up rents, increasing the risk of losing one’s home to someone willing to pay that higher price. Though the housing crisis has been brewing for decades, since 2008 it has increasingly hit even highly-educated workers, shrinking the college earnings premium and driving people with social and cultural capital further to the left.

The rent burden now links a whole generation across social lines. This is a national phenomenon, but it’s most pronounced in New York City. Establishment Democrats have not tapped this deep well of shared grievance, creating an opportunity for a generation of political insurgents. But organizing and mobilizing renters is enormously difficult, while property owners are at the heart of America’s political economy and see their power grow along with their home values.
Man, Eric Adams is leading??

Just today, I saw that interview snippet where he was asked what the best concert he'd ever been to was and for some reason he said it was the show where a lighting rig fell on Curtis Mayfield and paralyzed him. Its wild that these guys can't be bothered to even pretend to be normal human beings.
Sen. Schumer on GOP attacks on voter rights:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/...8992782342

Quote:Leader Schumer on Republican voter restrictions: "These policies have one purpose and one purpose only: making it harder for younger, poorer, non-white, and typically Democratic voters to access the ballot. To give Republicans a partisan advantage at the polls."