Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I would probably want to see THAT movie if it were real!

Looking forward to checking out Censor myself.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Sounds interesting to me, as well.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
You know what would pair well with "Censor?" "Starry Eyes." Both are about women obsessed with popular culture -- one regulates it, the other seeks validation from it -- and ultimately are either undone by it or reborn through it.
I JUST got that movie in the mail like...yesterday. Serendipitous timing. Starry Eyes I mean..

Watched SPIRAL today. Not bad. It's basically another SAW movie, with all the baggage that implies. Rock isn't great though he's fun to watch and his wild-eyed histrionics suit the franchise. Sad thing is that there's a kernel of something pretty cool there that used correctly could've turned the series into something more. Nobody ever asked the SAW franchise to be politically relevant, but it's baked directly into this one and could have actually been a really interesting twist. Unfortunately they film's saddled with the same writers and director as many of the others, so they simply aren't equipped to deal with a concept that, done right, would have elevated it.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(06-13-2021, 11:12 AM)Evi Wrote: Watched SPIRAL today. Not bad. It's basically another SAW movie, with all the baggage that implies. Rock isn't great though he's fun to watch and his wild-eyed histrionics suit the franchise. Sad thing is that there's a kernel of something pretty cool there that used correctly could've turned the series into something more. Nobody ever asked the SAW franchise to be politically relevant, but it's baked directly into this one and could have actually been a really interesting twist. Unfortunately they film's saddled with the same writers and director as many of the others, so they simply aren't equipped to deal with a concept that, done right, would have elevated it.

I got into this few posts back but Rock is really terrible in this. You can tell they even allowed him to riff in a couple scenes and it still felt stiff and weird. It's weird because he was actually really good in the last season of Fargo.

The sequel could actually be really interesting because this Jigsaw goes after people that are actually doing real harm and not people who are "wasting their lives". Although to be fair I didn't see any of the movies after part 4 I think so who the victim parameters could have changed.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Oh the original Kramer's standards were ridiculous. Jaywalk too often and you'd end up in one of his traps and have to dig a key out of your eye or something.

Rock isn't very good though I did like how into it he seems. He's throwing himself into every scene and it's really fun. Minghella aside the entire film is a scenery-chewing competition between whoever is onscreen at that particular moment.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Four was the one where the cop got punished for kicking in too many doors right? Lulz.

Chris Rock's schtick was dated as hell. Forrest Gump jokes? Really? Since that's such a current film..

I didn’t even like the first one . . . got put off by the proto-libertarian messaging. 2nd one had a cool twist, I’ll give it that.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I'll defend the first two. They're not high art but they were pretty gnarly and struck a chord. Good twists. Decently made for the genre they're in. Saw and Saw II actually tried to be interesting movies. III and on they either rely solely on grossing people out or they disappear up their own ass with some confused message (Spiral is the worst offender as far as that goes IMO)..

(06-13-2021, 01:28 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I didn’t even like the first one . . . got put off by the proto-libertarian messaging.
Hmm?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I kind of liked Rock in it, to be honest. I wouldn't say he delivers great work, but I did think he kept me from realizing how dull the film was until the last twenty minutes or so. Saw movies are kind of notorious for having weak acting, at least for me, and in those terms, it was kind of weird how having big names in a few roles dazzled me into not minding the flaws for a bit longer than I would have otherwise.

I do wish they had kept Rock on the Forrest Gump joke wavelength from his intro. That would have been fun.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The Saw movies really do pull some artificial and sometimes downright bad performances from pretty much anyone but Tobin Bell. Cary Elwes in the first one even. Some of his line delivery is super grating..

I really liked the first Saw movie a lot. It's well done, and was pretty fresh at the time of release. Also brought Danny Glover back, and it almost felt like Glover hadn't been in a cool role since like Switchback back then.

Second Saw I totally hated. That shit it's doing all the time with the editing where the camera does this choppy spin around everything was just dumb.

I did really like Saw 3D. It was probably a factor of the 3D, but I really liked it just had this locked down unflinching shots of the kills. It felt like a very strong bold stylistic choice, especially for a series that as far as I could tell feel in love with some pretty terrible shots and editing starting with Saw 2. I'm even more sure was because of the 3D was the movie getting brighter looking, which also seemed like a welcome choice given what the Saw series had been doing visually.

(06-13-2021, 04:52 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I do wish they had kept Rock on the Forrest Gump joke wavelength from his intro. That would have been fun.

That part was Rock's idea, think it came when they were finished and he wanted a new stronger introduction.
My favorite Saw sequel is the one where Jigsaw gets revenge on the health insurance company that refused to pay for his cancer treatment.
THE UNHOLY (2021)

A great opening scene, but then it’s kind of downhill from there.  Jeffrey Dean Morgan is solid-enough as our unscrupulous and burned-out lead, it’s always nice to see William Sadler, and there are some fleeting moments of decent unease, but for the most part, this is very old news.  The filmmaking’s competent (even outright good at times), and there’s nothing offensively bad about it, but it just never comes to life.

Entirely skippable.
Jumping into some MASTERS OF HORROR (we'll see how long this lasts) with CIGARETTE BURNS last night. It doesn't look or feel like John Carpenter - stylistically its pretty flat and its got that bland digital TV look; extremely un-Cundey - and its very clearly written by a Film Guy, but its weird and gnarly and has a couple standout moments that really stuck with me. I liked it!

I don't know, are we too hard on late-period Carpenter? CIGARETTE BURNS was pretty good and I feel compelled to defend GHOSTS OF MARS these days, as JC kind of cycling through his Greatest Hits. Still haven't seen THE WARD though, so maybe that's the one that burns through any remaining goodwill.
Don't even bother with The Ward. John Carpenter's last movie was Ghost of Mars. I totally get why a lot of folks dislike it but...while not being top tier Carpenter by any metric...I think it's a hoot and fun. It has interesting things in it while The Ward is just a big ol' nothing..

The complete-ist in me says I'm going to have to watch THE WARD and MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN someday. Someday...
I'm a hardcore completionist too. And I honestly regret watching The Ward. Can do without Memoirs of an Invisible Man as well.

At least Memoirs feels somewhat more Carpenter-ish. Actually...it feels more like a Landis/Dante movie than Carpenter. It's just so confused about what it wants to be. But there are things to like. Good FX. Beautiful photography. A kooky Sam Neil performance.

The Ward feels like it could've been directed by anyone. If someone told me it was directed by the same person who did Leprechaun in the Hood or the latest Hellraiser...that would be much more believable than Carpenter. It has not one tiny bit of anything that makes it feel like his aside from being shot in his preferred ratio. That's literally it. I went inti that movie trying my damndest to like it and give it a pass..

MEMOIRS has got some incredible effects. Worth seeing just for that stuff.

THE WARD is not aggressively bad, it's just extremely predictable (and features my least-favorite, most over-used horror movie "twist").
I remember liking MEMOIRS okay the one time in the theater (though probably the best thing was that the BATMAN RETURNS trailer was in front of it). The effects were pretty incredible, especially for the time, and it was a cool story concept. I've thought about revisiting it from time to time.

I've never even heard of THE WARD till now and barely remember GHOSTS. So I guess VAMPIRES is a somewhat decent note to leave Carpenter's filmography on.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Whoever that twist actually took by surprise must've only ever seen like three movie ever..

VAMPIRES is an odd one because for like the first 15 minutes, it seems like its going to be this kick ass ALIENS riff with a crack team of vamp hunters doing cool shit and then they all get massacred like chumps and it becomes a weirdly boring road movie. At least that is my recollection; its been a while.
I still haven't seen "The Ward." I heard it wasn't v good.

I haven't seen Joe Dante's "The Hole," either.

I require adjectives in my titles.
At least Vampires is unique and tries to be entertaining. It feels like it takes place in the same world as From Dusk till Dawn. Vampires should've opened 6 months or more away from Blade. Not like...immediately after..

Blade may have hurt Vampires box office, but that movie played on either HBO or Cinemax all the time back when it was new some I'm sure it ended up getting seen a lot.

Memoirs is another one of those things that ended up playing a bunch on HBO. I liked it when I was little, and I haven't seen it since I was little, but i want to say it has a kind of boring dry atmosphere about it. Still, I enjoyed it. And it does have some fantastic FX in it. Some of the coolest Invisible Man visuals happen in that movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I could be totally wrong, but thinking about it it feels like he's trying to go for the same kind of thing he did in Starman (which I'd say is one of his best movies; maybe his best, but not his most fun) only far less successfully. But it's been years since I've seen Memoirs, like maybe the mid-'90s.

I liked The Ward, and on the commentary Carpenter seemed happy to be directing something again. That's the total opposite of how he sounds doing Ghost of Mars in the KNB documentary, think it's Nightmare Factory. 

(06-15-2021, 01:10 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: VAMPIRES is an odd one because for like the first 15 minutes, it seems like its going to be this kick ass ALIENS riff with a crack team of vamp hunters doing cool shit and then they all get massacred like chumps and it becomes a weirdly boring road movie.  At least that is my recollection; its been a while.

That massacre is the coolest part of the whole movie. I think the road part of it is pretty short, most of the movie after the massacre is them fighting or being captured at the final location.

There was that movie The Forsaken that is a vampire road movie.
(06-15-2021, 08:33 PM)simbob Wrote: Blade may have hurt Vampires box office, but that movie played on either HBO or Cinemax all the time back when it was new some I'm sure it ended up getting seen a lot.

Memoirs is another one of those things that ended up playing a bunch on HBO. I liked it when I was little, and I haven't seen it since I was little, but i want to say it has a kind of boring dry atmosphere about it. Still, I enjoyed it. And it does have some fantastic FX in it. Some of the coolest Invisible Man visuals happen in that movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I could be totally wrong, but thinking about it it feels like he's trying to go for the same kind of thing he did in Starman (which I'd say is one of his best movies; maybe his best, but not his most fun) only far less successfully. But it's been years since I've seen Memoirs, like maybe the mid-'90s.

I liked The Ward, and on the commentary Carpenter seemed happy to be directing something again. That's the total opposite of how he sounds doing Ghost of Mars in the KNB documentary, think it's Nightmare Factory. 

(06-15-2021, 01:10 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: VAMPIRES is an odd one because for like the first 15 minutes, it seems like its going to be this kick ass ALIENS riff with a crack team of vamp hunters doing cool shit and then they all get massacred like chumps and it becomes a weirdly boring road movie.  At least that is my recollection; its been a while.

That massacre is the coolest part of the whole movie. I think the road part of it is pretty short, most of the movie after the massacre is them fighting or being captured at the final location.

There was that movie The Forsaken that is a vampire road movie.

The Forsaken was pretty much just Near Dark.
I did watch Memoirs of an Invisible Man a few times on HBO when I was a teenager. Back then I thought it was fine. The shot of Chase jogging along the beach is memorable. If it wasn't for this movie, then maybe Neil isn't the lead in In the Mouth of Madness. Now that is a damn good flick!
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
MONSTROUS on Shudder - pretty decent! Its definitely a Bigfoot movie, as the opening makes quite clear, but the plot swerves in some interesting directions along the way. Would recommend going in fresh; not that there are any mind-blowing twists or anything, but part of this movie's charm is seeing how it gets from point A to point B to point C.
There aren't enough solid Bigfoot movies.
There's ABOMINABLE and there's everything else
I liked Exists, the Eduardo Sanchez Bigfoot movie. You think it’s going to be like Blair Witch, where you see very little, but it’s the opposite. All Bigfoot all the time.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Oh yeah! I remember liking that one too, but its been a while.